What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Long-term plan for CU facilities upgrades

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member

"We really need to fix the west side of the stadium; we need seating, we need bathrooms; we need more functional space," George said.

George added that there are issues with the existing infrastructure, with old steel that is eroding. There is currently some fixing of expansion joints being done. There's also some general maintenance that needs to be done.

The list of projects on the wish list doesn't stop there, however. That list includes:
• Upgrades to the bowl in CU Events Center.
• Upgrade of the women's volleyball locker room.
• Better locker room facilities for women's lacrosse.
• A permanent lacrosse-only field or stadium.
• Lights at Prentup Field for the soccer team.

Whatever they do, I hope they replicate the facade of the Champions Center on the West side of Dal Ward. They don’t have to build a whole new Champions Center, but the view from inside the stadium needs to look symmetrical.

"We really need to fix the west side of the stadium; we need seating, we need bathrooms; we need more functional space," George said.

George added that there are issues with the existing infrastructure, with old steel that is eroding. There is currently some fixing of expansion joints being done. There's also some general maintenance that needs to be done.

The list of projects on the wish list doesn't stop there, however. That list includes:
• Upgrades to the bowl in CU Events Center.
• Upgrade of the women's volleyball locker room.
• Better locker room facilities for women's lacrosse.
• A permanent lacrosse-only field or stadium.
• Lights at Prentup Field for the soccer team.

No need to add a lacrosse only facility without adding men’s lacrosse!! Please RG. Get it done!

Whatever they do, I hope they replicate the facade of the Champions Center on the West side of Dal Ward. They don’t have to build a whole new Champions Center, but the view from inside the stadium needs to look symmetrical.
Can that be done without blocking view of the mountains to the north of campus? Don’t ruin my Mountain View.

I’d love to see swimming back at CU. Big problem is facilities. We don’t have any. The pools we have aren’t regulation length.
Colorado has produced some great swimmers, particularly female swimmers, in recent years. Amy Van Dyken and Missy Franklin are two that make the top of the list, but there are probably a dozen or more D-1 swimmers that come out of Colorado every year. AAU programs are very strong here.

We'd maybe get 10 fans at a swim meet. Add in all the facilities costs, locker rooms, etc. and that's simply not going to happen.

Much more likely are Women's Beach VB and Women's Triathlon. The other that I've heard mentioned is Women's Rugby - with its national organization based in Broomfield and existing facilities we use for Women's Soccer (Prentup) meaning zero cost from that end other than the scholarships and coaches plus a recruiting budget and office space, this sport would be relatively easy to add and could get some support/ sponsorship.

We definitely need Men's Lacrosse. Having a stadium for the Lacrosse programs and an emphasis on CU being great at the sport as our spring feature sport makes all the sense in the world for CU.

We'd maybe get 10 fans at a swim meet. Add in all the facilities costs, locker rooms, etc. and that's simply not going to happen.

Much more likely are Women's Beach VB and Women's Triathlon. The other that I've heard mentioned is Women's Rugby - with its national organization based in Broomfield and existing facilities we use for Women's Soccer (Prentup) meaning zero cost from that end other than the scholarships and coaches plus a recruiting budget and office space, this sport would be relatively easy to add and could get some support/ sponsorship.

We definitely need Men's Lacrosse. Having a stadium for the Lacrosse programs and an emphasis on CU being great at the sport as our spring feature sport makes all the sense in the world for CU.
I can’t disagree with anything you’re saying. As much as I love swimming, you’re totally right about the costs. And lacrosse is a sport where we can immediately compete and sell some tickets.

Lacrosse would be very cool. I didn't start really watching it till about 5 or 6 years ago so I don't know a whole lot about it. I like the sport though.

I’d love to see swimming back at CU. Big problem is facilities. We don’t have any. The pools we have aren’t regulation length.
Colorado has produced some great swimmers, particularly female swimmers, in recent years. Amy Van Dyken and Missy Franklin are two that make the top of the list, but there are probably a dozen or more D-1 swimmers that come out of Colorado every year. AAU programs are very strong here.

Pool at new rec center is 25 yards, regulation for NCAA swimming. Renovations made it suitable for training and small dual meets, yet viewing stands for more popular duals or invitationals would be a problem. Meets could be held at VMAC in Thornton. Colorado HS and club swimming (USAS, not AAU) is indeed good. Running right at 8-10 D1 swimmers per year on the women’s side. A few less on men’s side. Fossil had the #3 overall recruit last year (Stanford) top 8 girl this year (ND). Many, many D3 SAs.

CU’s club cycling and triathlon are elite. If there are any title 9 balancing issues, start offering women cyclists and triathletes scholarships. CU should go big into Olympic pedal sports (like how UW an the Bay Area schools get into rowing). If TCU and WVU get around T9 with shooting teams, no reason CU can’t push the limits on cycling.

What needs to happen for swimming facilities? Portable stands are easy. Already there for summer meets. They get more than “10” for club swimming. Colorado swimming is too 10 in the country at HS and club level. Well attended. Locker rooms? They don’t exist in swimming. Use rec facilities. 9 schollies per year.

I like men’s LAX and/or hockey as adds.

CU’s club cycling and triathlon are elite. If there are any title 9 balancing issues, start offering women cyclists and triathletes scholarships. CU should go big into Olympic pedal sports (like how UW an the Bay Area schools get into rowing). If TCU and WVU get around T9 with shooting teams, no reason CU can’t push the limits on cycling.
Yes, stud teams. CU Club Swimming routinely on top 10 nationally.

Interesting to me is that RG specifically said adding seats is important to the west side plan.

The same article said that CU is down on overall ticket renewals for football compared to last year's pace, but that it is actually ahead of pace with the premium Club seats which are about sold out. That strongly suggests to me that what I've been talking about is the wave of the future: increase the number of premium seat offerings and then offer the rest of the seats on the cheap to pack the house and create the atmosphere that the premium seat buyers want and will add value to their purchase. Chairbacks, food & drink service at the seats, cup holders, better sound system, wi-fi, nice bathrooms and other concourse amenities. That should be the case for a lot more seats, people sitting in those seats should pay a serious premium, and the rest of the stadium should get a significant price reduction - particularly the upper half of the 100 level. Look at any game and what seats are available, it's the top 15 rows of 100 that cost as much as the first row. (This assumes we keep the current configuration.)

I'd actually like to see the students stretched across the length of the east side with a divider halfway up the section that makes the rows in the 100 and 200 levels above them chairbacks. Would make Folsom much louder all the way across. Give the students 214 & 215 in the SE corner, too. Then make the south end zone value seats for paying fans. When the west side is re-done, field level (100s) becomes more like a club level, Flatirons Club gets re-worked to be smaller box seats that seat 4-8 people, a 200 level gets added above sections 101-104 where we stick visiting fans, the NW corner gets enclosed to make a full bowl with more seating, and the SW corner gets a beer garden patio deck like the NE corner has but would have even better views.
cf240d27-06a3-42ea-a488-50870c93c15e.jpg

Last edited:
Interesting to me is that RG specifically said adding seats is important to the west side plan.

The same article said that CU is down on overall ticket renewals for football compared to last year's pace, but that it is actually ahead of pace with the premium Club seats which are about sold out. That strongly suggests to me that what I've been talking about is the wave of the future: increase the number of premium seat offerings and then offer the rest of the seats on the cheap to pack the house and create the atmosphere that the premium seat buyers want and will add value to their purchase. Chairbacks, food & drink service at the seats, cup holders, better sound system, wi-fi, nice bathrooms and other concourse amenities. That should be the case for a lot more seats, people sitting in those seats should pay a serious premium, and the rest of the stadium should get a significant price reduction - particularly the upper half of the 100 level. Look at any game and what seats are available, it's the top 15 rows of 100 that cost as much as the first row.

I'd actually like to see the students stretched across the length of the east side with a divider halfway up the section that makes the rows in the 100 and 200 levels above them chairbacks. Would make Folsom much louder all the way across. Give the students 214 & 215 in the SE corner, too. Then make the south end zone value seats for paying fans. When the west side is re-done, field level (100s) becomes more like a club level, Flatirons Club gets re-worked to be smaller box seats that seat 4-8 people, a 200 level gets added above sections 101-104 where we stick visiting fans, the NW corner gets enclosed to make a full bowl with more seating, and the SW corner gets a beer garden patio deck like the NE corner has but would have even better views.
I like it. I’d add. Create plazas and sell sponsorships. Not just mimicking CSU. This is happening routinely at numerous stadiums, CFB and otherwise.

We need baseball!

As far as men's sports, Baseball's gotta come first IMO-we're the only Pac 12 school who doesn't field a baseball team. Men's Lax can't be as big a priority. There are two universities west of the Mississippi who field men's lacrosse programs, and its not a sport the Pac 12 sponsors currently (Utah will become the first Pac 12 school to sponsor the sport in 2019). We'd have to find a conference (Maybe the Big East or Southern-the leagues that DU and AFA have their programs in..........would take us as a travel partner for them, but even then we're still putting a hypothetical lacrosse team on thousand mile plus flights to the east coast on a fairly consistent basis). Too many financial problems and other things to get done before that gets added.

I look forward to the CU Football team, Men's and Women's BBall teams, along with Women's Soccer and Lacrosse teams getting to a competitive footing related to budgets and resources. Then, I am happy to have wet dreams about other sports getting added.

Interesting note towards the end of the article
For now, however, CU's fund raising efforts have shifted to some more immediate needs for the student-athletes. The Buffs are trying to raise funds to boost their mental health department; student-athlete nutrition; and leadership and career development.
"We've moved on to some other projects that are less bricks and sticks and more programmatic," Broussard said. "It's making a big difference."
This are just a few examples of the types of things I am talking about. Glad to see George and the AD have their priorities straight.

The same article said that CU is down on overall ticket renewals for football compared to last year's pace, but that it is actually ahead of pace with the premium Club seats which are about sold out. That strongly suggests to me that what I've been talking about is the wave of the future: increase the number of premium seat offerings and then offer the rest of the seats on the cheap to pack the house and create the atmosphere that the premium seat buyers want and will add value to their purchase. Chairbacks, food & drink service at the seats, cup holders, better sound system, wi-fi, nice bathrooms and other concourse amenities. That should be the case for a lot more seats, people sitting in those seats should pay a serious premium, and the rest of the stadium should get a significant price reduction - particularly the upper half of the 100 level. Look at any game and what seats are available, it's the top 15 rows of 100 that cost as much as the first row. (This assumes we keep the current configuration.)

I'm good with everything but the visiting fans, put them in 214-215. **** em.

Pool at new rec center is 25 yards, regulation for NCAA swimming. Renovations made it suitable for training and small dual meets, yet viewing stands for more popular duals or invitationals would be a problem. Meets could be held at VMAC in Thornton. Colorado HS and club swimming (USAS, not AAU) is indeed good. Running right at 8-10 D1 swimmers per year on the women’s side. A few less on men’s side. Fossil had the #3 overall recruit last year (Stanford) top 8 girl this year (ND). Many, many D3 SAs.
VMAC is a wonderful facility that can seat over 800 fans.

Back