What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Long-term plan for CU facilities upgrades

I'd actually like to see the students stretched across the length of the east side with a divider halfway up the section that makes the rows in the 100 and 200 levels above them chairbacks. Would make Folsom much louder all the way across. Give the students 214 & 215 in the SE corner, too. Then make the south end zone value seats for paying fans. When the west side is re-done, field level (100s) becomes more like a club level, Flatirons Club gets re-worked to be smaller box seats that seat 4-8 people, a 200 level gets added above sections 101-104 where we stick visiting fans, the NW corner gets enclosed to make a full bowl with more seating, and the SW corner gets a beer garden patio deck like the NE corner has but would have even better views.
cf240d27-06a3-42ea-a488-50870c93c15e.jpg

I agree that the students are important and should be a priority, especially for their 'energy'. But they shouldn't be 'bribed' or excessively incentivized. They don't always show up, literally and figuratively, including for BBall games. Giving them more of the lower east side is not good. I'm speaking from a biased POV -- love my lower level 118 seats.

Also sometimes go up to Champions Club and it's a different, isolated experience; only good thing about it is the easy access to beer and shelter. For many (in) there, the game, and cheering, seems secondary.

What needs to happen for swimming facilities? Portable stands are easy. Already there for summer meets. They get more than “10” for club swimming. Colorado swimming is too 10 in the country at HS and club level. Well attended. Locker rooms? They don’t exist in swimming. Use rec facilities. 9 schollies per year.

I like men’s LAX and/or hockey as adds.
No elite level swimmer is going to want to train at the rec center.

When the rec center was renovated they made a big mistake by not extending the pool into the dive tank. That would have made regulation water polo possible too.

When the rec center was renovated they made a big mistake by not extending the pool into the dive tank. That would have made regulation water polo possible too.
It's only a "mistake" if you believe that enjoyment by the students of something they chose which their fees paid for and also makes for a great image on the front of the brochure when marketing to prospective students is less important than the opportunity, possibly maybe down the road, to add varsity swimming at CU with that same facility.

It's only a "mistake" if you believe that enjoyment by the students of something they chose which their fees paid for and also makes for a great image on the front of the brochure when marketing to prospective students is less important than the opportunity, possibly maybe down the road, to add varsity swimming at CU with that same facility.
I understand. Overall, the revamp of the rec center was breathtakingly good. When I first saw that huge wall of windows looking north from the basketball gym it was literally draw dropping for me. That said, I do believe that there was a missed opportunity to bring the pool up to a reasonable standard. As a prospective student, I know seeing a pool like the one that existed, and still does exist, was a definite negative for CU.

Bring back wrestling. Those guys aren't picky, they just need mats and gym time, a place to put their bags (gym floor is good enough) and shower time. Travel would be the biggest expense outside of scholarships and coaching salaries.

Also, does CU have an e-sports team?

As far as men's sports, Baseball's gotta come first IMO-we're the only Pac 12 school who doesn't field a baseball team. Men's Lax can't be as big a priority. There are two universities west of the Mississippi who field men's lacrosse programs, and its not a sport the Pac 12 sponsors currently (Utah will become the first Pac 12 school to sponsor the sport in 2019). We'd have to find a conference (Maybe the Big East or Southern-the leagues that DU and AFA have their programs in..........would take us as a travel partner for them, but even then we're still putting a hypothetical lacrosse team on thousand mile plus flights to the east coast on a fairly consistent basis). Too many financial problems and other things to get done before that gets added.

Adding baseball would be short sighted.

Lacrosse is growing at an amazing pace both here is Colorado and Nationally. It offers the University a chance to be competitive, very competitive in a 4-6 year time frame. It will draw fans (See DU Selling out their 5000 person stadium), even on those cold windy days of March. Most importantly, it will provide excitement for the community and the school during the springtime when there are no other men's sports to get excited about.

Baseball would take years to become competitive in the, very established, and very competitive Pac-12. Nobody would go to the games, especially when is 35 and windy, in march in Colorado, and lets face it, baseball ain't exactly most exciting sport in terms of appeal to millineals.

The travel might be cheaper that baseball with two other front range division one teams, along with Michigan, Ohio State, Utah and Marguette all within the same radius of most of the Pac-12.

Most importantly, It puts CU in a leadership position in the Pac-12 instead of acting like the little brother trying to play catch up.

No way RG doesn't see the opportunity and no way he adds baseball.

Lacrosse is growing at an amazing pace both here is Colorado and Nationally. It offers the University a chance to be competitive, very competitive in a 4-6 year time frame. It will draw fans (See DU Selling out their 5000 person stadium), even on those cold windy days of March. Most importantly, it will provide excitement for the community and the school during the springtime when there are no other men's sports to get excited about.

Baseball would take years to become competitive in the, very established, and very competitive Pac-12. Nobody would go to the games, especially when is 35 and windy, in march in Colorado, and lets face it, baseball ain't exactly most exciting sport in terms of appeal to millineals.

The travel might be cheaper that baseball with two other front range division one teams, along with Michigan, Ohio State, Utah and Marguette all within the same radius of most of the Pac-12.

Most importantly, It puts CU in a leadership position in the Pac-12 instead of acting like the little brother trying to play catch up.

Yep, **** baseball.

Elite college and pro swimmers train at much worse pools than newly refurbished rec center. Training at altitude - and getting the adjustments to times - would be a huge draw.

Yes, on diving well. Meets at VMAC.

Elite college and pro swimmers train at much worse pools than newly refurbished rec center. Training at altitude - and getting the adjustments to times - would be a huge draw.

Yes, on diving well. Meets at VMAC.
The pool was not refurbished. I've swum in a lot college pools and the one at CU is the worst I've seen. I've swum at Cal, Stanford, UCLA, Arizona State, Arizona, University of Washington, Washington State, and Utah and they are all leaps and bounds better than CU's. I haven't been to USC, Oregon, or Oregon State, but I doubt any facility is worse.

Last edited:

It draws fans.......you reference DU selling out their stadium to back that. DU didn't draw 3,000 fans to a home game this season. If lax is growing that quickly......how come that program (which won a national championship not too long ago and made this NCAA tournament) can't sell out their 5,000 seat stadium? On the east coast, I'd agree with you......but three universities west of the Mississippi field Men's lax teams as I said. You've still gotta find a conference. You mention Michigan, Ohio State, and Marquette being in the "same radius" of the Pac 12........what the hell does that mean? All of those schools are over 800 miles from any Pac 12 campus. That logic doesn't hold water. With baseball, our primary conference sponsors it. Everybody plays it but us. There are enough teams in the neighborhood who play it-Air Force, UNC, New Mexico, New Mexico State, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Kansas, Kansas State, Wichita State, Southern Illinois, Missouri, Grand Canyon, Chicago State, and Utah Valley State all field baseball teams. Almost all of them are closer to us than Marquette is. It would be a lot easier putting together an OOC schedule there than in lax.

I’m as big a swimming guy as there is, but our facilities suck. They’re great for a rec pool, but are woefully insufficient for a D-1 swimming program. It would cost a lot of money to bring them up to a respectable level.

Not gonna happen anytime soon.

The pool was not refurbished. I've swam in a lot college pools and the one at CU is the worst I've seen. I've swam at Cal, Stanford, UCLA, Arizona State, Arizona, University of Washington, Washington State, and Utah and they are all leaps and bounds better than CU's. I haven't been to USC, Oregon, or Oregon State, but I doubt any facility is worse.
Yes. There are better pools in which to train, no doubt. It’s serviceable though. Swimmers want s blue line, not much else in my experience (i’m A forme HS swim coach). But I guess Clare Small would be a no go.

Rally is five lanes, narrow, but they have a post grad group, even elite open water (Christine Jennings).

I think you can turn altitude training into a big plus. Establish strong relationships with HS and Club teams. Get Nelms on deck from time to time. Invite OTC folks up. Create tie in to new CU Sports performance center. Swim Labs is already there. Train at South, East or North if needed on early days. Create additional momentum for swim facility we have all dreamed about in Boulder through public/private partnership. Establish ties with SwimMAC for Rocky Mt pro group. Establish/Grow a program.

I like Arizona and new pool at Cal.

It draws fans.......you reference DU selling out their stadium to back that. DU didn't draw 3,000 fans to a home game this season. If lax is growing that quickly......how come that program (which won a national championship not too long ago and made this NCAA tournament) can't sell out their 5,000 seat stadium? On the east coast, I'd agree with you......but three universities west of the Mississippi field Men's lax teams as I said. You've still gotta find a conference. You mention Michigan, Ohio State, and Marquette being in the "same radius" of the Pac 12........what the hell does that mean? All of those schools are over 800 miles from any Pac 12 campus. That logic doesn't hold water. With baseball, our primary conference sponsors it. Everybody plays it but us. There are enough teams in the neighborhood who play it-Air Force, UNC, New Mexico, New Mexico State, North Dakota State, South Dakota State, Kansas, Kansas State, Wichita State, Southern Illinois, Missouri, Grand Canyon, Chicago State, and Utah Valley State all field baseball teams. Almost all of them are closer to us than Marquette is. It would be a lot easier putting together an OOC schedule there than in lax.
Yes to baseball. Spent 4 days in Hoover last week. Real deal. Wish CU had a ream.

Yes. There are better pools in which to train, no doubt. It’s serviceable though. Swimmers want s blue line, not much else in my experience (i’m A forme HS swim coach). But I guess Clare Small would be a no go.

Rally is five lanes, narrow, but they have a post grad group, even elite open water (Christine Jennings).

I think you can turn altitude training into a big plus. Establish strong relationships with HS and Club teams. Get Nelms on deck from time to time. Invite OTC folks up. Create tie in to new CU Sports performance center. Swim Labs is already there. Train at South, East or North if needed on early days. Create additional momentum for swim facility we have all dreamed about in Boulder through public/private partnership. Establish ties with SwimMAC for Rocky Mt pro group. Establish/Grow a program.

I like Arizona and new pool at Cal.
Arizona's pools are legendary and the new pool at Cal is very nice, but the point is that the old pool (spieker) where water polo is still played was built in the early 80s and is way better than anything at CU. I was recruited as a swimmer coming out of high school and if I had intended to continue to seriously swim competitively, there is no way I would have been ok with the rec center's facilities.

Arizona's pools are legendary and the new pool at Cal is very nice, but the point is that the old pool (spieker) where water polo is still played was built in the early 80s and is way better than anything at CU. I was recruited as a swimmer coming out of high school and if I had intended to continue to seriously swim competitively, there is no way I would have been ok with the rec center's facilities.
Understood. Just trying to find a creative way for swimming (or baseball) at CU. Would be glorious to have either. But there are realities, especially financial for facilities.

Good chatting about swimming. Not many places to do it.

Best to you.

I’m as big a swimming guy as there is, but our facilities suck. They’re great for a rec pool, but are woefully insufficient for a D-1 swimming program. It would cost a lot of money to bring them up to a respectable level.

Not gonna happen anytime soon.

SMU just opened a brand new $30M aquatic facility in late 2017. Spiffy building. That’s the current market rate to build.

Last edited by a moderator:
I don’t know if true or not, but I heard recently that Lax in Colorado may be peaking at the high school level. Basically I heard some high schools have been shutting down programs due to lack of interest. Again, don’t know if true, just what I heard.

Men’s lax would be great as well as baseball and softball. I think it’s kind of a joke that we don’t have baseball and softball. Small time.

I don’t know if true or not, but I heard recently that Lax in Colorado may be peaking at the high school level. Basically I heard some high schools have been shutting down programs due to lack of interest. Again, don’t know if true, just what I heard.

Men’s lax would be great as well as baseball and softball. I think it’s kind of a joke that we don’t have baseball and softball. Small time.
Regarding baseball and softball, the huge mistake was when CU cut those programs at the time it had to cut its athletic department sports offerings in the wake of Title IX. That was simply a dumb move.

It's hard for me to see a way back from it, though. I think it's water over the dam and we'll never see those as varsity sports at CU again unless MLB decides to invest in NCAA baseball as had once been kicked around as an idea and/or a minor league baseball team wants to move to Boulder and CU could partner on the facilities.

Regarding baseball and softball, the huge mistake was when CU cut those programs at the time it had to cut its athletic department sports offerings in the wake of Title IX. That was simply a dumb move.

It's hard for me to see a way back from it, though. I think it's water over the dam and we'll never see those as varsity sports at CU again unless MLB decides to invest in NCAA baseball as had once been kicked around as an idea and/or a minor league baseball team wants to move to Boulder and CU could partner on the facilities.

Boulder Geodes would be a cool name.

Given we're the only school who doesn't have it, I could see the conference offering to help us out if we showed interest in adding it.

Given we're the only school who doesn't have it, I could see the conference offering to help us out if we showed interest in adding it.
What's their motivation to do that? It would just add travel costs for them for a sport that loses money.

I agree. I don’t think we’ll ever see them again. Just a dream.

Back