What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lookalike & Game thread - #20/21 (AP/ Coaches)/ #17 (NET rankings) Men's bball on the road vs. #124 (NET) UCLA (L.A., Thurs., 1/30, 9:00 PM MT, ESPN2)

Reasons we lost:
-Getting our asses kicked on the glass.
-Chris Smith having an absolutely outstanding game. Some of it against poor defense, some of it excellent shot making against good defense.
-McKinley not playing good. I thought he sucked tonight.
-An all around terrible first half digging too big of a hole.
I’m sure the experts will be around to tell everyone we need to fire Tad though.
One reason we lost. UCLA had 18 second chance points.

Geez, this is a frustrating loss, I get it, but you seem to be so excited to jump out and argue with everyone here.
It’s just lame when we lose, and people are just hoping someone suggests we fire Tad, nobody does and yet they have to try to bait someone. That’s the definition of trolling. As if criticism on the team means you want Tad gone. So dumb.

Not every team. Sure, every team wins more at home. But the stats show - and they are shown almost every game we play on the road - that we are below the curve on the road. Why do we continue to be just fine losing to teams we should absolutely beat, just cuz it’s a road game and “every team loses on the road?” That’s ****ing garbage.
Winning on the road is hard. The buffs sucked tonight. But you, and a lot of other people, need to stop acting like the season is over every time we lose a road game. It’s a stupid overreaction. Good basketball teams lose to worse teams on the road every single night in college basketball. The sky is falling mentality is tiring.

Wow, looking like another one and done tourney. To me, Tad allowed UCLA to jump on us. 1. Schwartz didnt start (discipline maybe?). 2. Gatling running point to start the game (quick turnover to set the tone). 3. Why do we run offense so freaking slow on the road, no conviction to accomplishing anything. 4. HELPSIDE DEFENSE was absolutely terrible. Smith eats us up and no answers. Wow. A terrinle team full of freshman beat us up. I promise you I've see better Rec teams than UCLA. I'm going to drink heavy before watching the USC game.

Winning on the road is hard. The buffs sucked tonight. But you, and a lot of other people, need to stop acting like the season is over every time we lose a road game. It’s a stupid overreaction. Good basketball teams lose to worse teams on the road every single night in college basketball. The sky is falling mentality is tiring.
When did I say the season is over? For ****s sake! I said we won’t be ranked after this week. And that 6 of our next 10 are on the road. So nothing’s guaranteed. That’s it.
Some of you clowns just make **** up.

When did I say the season is over? For ****s sake! I said we won’t be ranked after this week. And that 6 of our next 10 are on the road. So nothing’s guaranteed. That’s it.
Some of you clowns just make **** up.
Your problem is that you come across so negatively that you give the impression you are rooting against the Buffs. Constant negativity just pisses people off. I’m sure you root for the Buffs and want us to win. But your attitude belies that.

This team, yet again, went into a game "knowing" they were going to win.

Tad did nothing to limit this, did nothing to prepare the team to win.

Team did NOTHING to stop Smith. ****ING NOTHING.

Gonna get ****ed by usc

Gonna lose 1 more at home

High ncaa seed done.

Enjoy the hand wringing / seed hoping that we don't get the 8/9 seed in the #1 seed bracket

Rather than allowing opposing players to have career games against us, I suggest trapping the opposing player when they try to get a switch via pick n roll. Just an idea.

This team, yet again, went into a game "knowing" they were going to win.

Tad did nothing to limit this, did nothing to prepare the team to win.

Team did NOTHING to stop Smith. ****ING NOTHING.

Gonna get ****ed by usc

Gonna lose 1 more at home

High ncaa seed done.

Enjoy the hand wringing / seed hoping that we don't get the 8/9 seed in the #1 seed bracket
Do you really believe this ****? Yeah, Tad definitely came into this game saying “We are gonna kill these guys. We just have to show up. No reason to go over the scouting report. ”
There were absolutely some defensive lapses against Smith, but do you think it’s possible that also he made some really tough shots and he played damn good? No, Tad definitely said let that guy do whatever he wants.
This is the type of ridiculous overreaction bull**** that is unbearable.

Someone bring back that Buffs team played Dayton!!! Energy out the gate, Toughness, Desire, something to prove!!!

You guys on this board are a little rougher on individual players than I'm accustomed to, but I've been watching CU-BB for a really long time. Here's what I see with this of the scholarship guys, the best Boyle team in 4-5 years:
  • These guys are top 25-caliber players: Wright, Bey, Schwartz, Battey, Siewert.
  • These guys are not, assuming (as I assume) they won't improve much here: Gatling, Kountz, Strating, Walton, Ryder
  • TBD on these guys: Daniels, Barthelemy, Dombek
Debatable about Walton. He has zero leg strength. It was worth the gamble and he may improve, but right now as a Junior he does not help us.

That is 5 of our 13 guys who seem to be clear contenders on a tourney worthy team. 38%. Not good enough.

I like Tad. Good man. He coaches well. Does not recruit well.

And so there we are. Not really that big of an improvement over any past coaches. We have perfected mediocrity.

I hate to be hard on my Buffs but I'm frustrated with this loss. I'm seeing a huge hole with this team. Wright is the only one I'm comfortable dribbling and passing the rock. Guards Gatling, Kountz, Daniel's, etc... turnover prone, especially on the road. They have to get better, and fast.

You guys on this board are a little rougher on individual players than I'm accustomed to, but I've been watching CU-BB for a really long time. Here's what I see with this of the scholarship guys, the best Boyle team in 4-5 years:
  • These guys are top 25-caliber players: Wright, Bey, Schwartz, Battey, Siewert.
  • These guys are not, assuming (as I assume) they won't improve much here: Gatling, Kountz, Strating, Walton, Ryder
Debatable about Walton. He has zero leg strength. It was worth the gamble and he may improve, but right now as a Junior he does not help us.

That is 5 of our 13 guys who seem to be clear contenders on a tourney worthy team. 38%. Not good enough.

And so there we are. Not really that big of an improvement over any past coaches. We have perfected mediocrity.
Agree with your assessment. And I’d say Schwartz is tenuously in that top group. He disappears for loooong stretches.

Until Tad can find actual creators/playmakers (lest we forget, we were never supposed to even have Kin, got incredibly lucky), we will always be fairly middling. Some years flirting with the Dance, some years missing the NIT.

Agree with your assessment. And I’d say Schwartz is tenuously in that top group. He disappears for loooong stretches.

Until Tad can find actual creators/playmakers (lest we forget, we were never supposed to even have Kin, got incredibly lucky), we will always be fairly middling. Some years flirting with the Dance, some years missing the NIT.
Top 25 is fairly middling? Wtf

I hate to be hard on my Buffs but I'm frustrated with this loss. I'm seeing a huge hole with this team. Wright is the only one I'm comfortable dribbling and passing the rock. Guards Gatling, Kountz, Daniel's, etc... turnover prone, especially on the road. They have to get better, and fast.
Dude. We haven’t had Pac-12 level play from the 2 guard in like 5 years.

Do you really believe this ****? Yeah, Tad definitely came into this game saying “We are gonna kill these guys. We just have to show up. No reason to go over the scouting report. ”
There were absolutely some defensive lapses against Smith, but do you think it’s possible that also he made some really tough shots and he played damn good? No, Tad definitely said let that guy do whatever he wants.

Smith hitting some un-orthodox shots is acceptable. Not adjusting and taking away the next 10 is not.

Top 25 is fairly middling? Wtf
We won’t be in the top 25 after this week, unless we pull a HUGE upset Saturday. And with 6 of 10 on the road down the stretch, we might not be again.

But like I said, “some years flirting with the Dance”. So better than middling. Which would be this year. But maybe your bias didn’t allow you to see that part.

It's recruiting. We have no backup point guard (even though Tad was trying tonight to get Gatling to be one) and we just have no depth inside. My biggest concern with Tad when he was hired was whether he could get us the horses. He can find those guys who do well in transition and outside the arc, but not in a set offense. Set offenses (which Tad hangs his hat on) rely on point guards and post players. His recruiting results do not match his offensive strategy.

I may never be in the "Fire Tad" camp, but if this season turns out to be an early tourney exit and next year is a let-down, then Rick George will surely be feeling the ants in his pants. There's no reason we can't have a winner here.

It's recruiting. We have no backup point guard (even though Tad was trying tonight to get Gatling to be one) and we just have no depth inside. My biggest concern with Tad when he was hired was whether he could get us the horses. He can find those guys who do well in transition and outside the arc, but not in a set offense. Set offenses (which Tad hangs his hat on) rely on point guards and post players. His recruiting results do not match his offensive strategy.

I may never be in the "Fire Tad" camp, but if this season turns out to be an early tourney exit and next year is a let-down, then Rick George will surely be feeling the ants in his pants. There's no reason we can't have a winner here.
Tad got 100% lucky to fall into kin

What changes did tad make when Smith started to go ape ****? The same changes he usually does. Which is nothing.

Same thing he does when an opponent has 4 fouls.

Or when we can't score for 5+ minutes

We won’t be in the top 25 after this week, unless we pull a HUGE upset Saturday. And with 6 of 10 on the road down the stretch, we might not be again.

But like I said, “some years flirting with the Dance”. So better than middling. Which would be this year. But maybe your bias didn’t allow you to see that part.

We'll win 21ish games and sneak into the dance as a low seed, which is enough to satisfy everyone here because CU was bad at basketball for four decades and we all need to accept mediocrity because of that. I kind of wanted more this year in what was was supposed to be our best team ever. I think it comes down to this fanbase and administration not really caring about basketbal. CU is a "football" school that's terrible at football.

Try to enjoy this year. I agree that the last several years have been frustrating. But the Buffs are a really good basketball team. Beating usc will not be a “HUGE” upset. Please try to remember this team beat Dayton in Chicago. Dayton is much better than usc. The Buffs are good. They played like crap five games and they lost those five. If they play well Saturday night, they’ll probably win.

Back