What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Looking ahead 22-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
You can tell Tad is going to love Hadley on the team. Supercharged Alex Strating role of "at least he'll try". Really worried about the shooting and scoring on this team.

Also, Tad really, really loves Evan Battey
Not worried about the shooting. Allen is a great shooter. Wright is a great shooter. Clifford, Da Silva, O'Brien should all at least be average and Simpson should improve.

Presser transcript below. So many new guys and so wing heavy. I have trouble imagining Tad playing small and think he may play Lawson and Hurlbert a lot by default if he thinks the team's not cutting it on the glass. Really hope Quincy Allen can defend and board enough to get good minutes, because Tad's quotes on him are driving me crazy.

After reading that, I'm really interested to see how well LOB shoots. Tad said they have chips in the balls and in the players shoes that track every shot and that LOB was clearly the best shooter on the team from that data.

After reading that, I'm really interested to see how well LOB shoots. Tad said they have chips in the balls and in the players shoes that track every shot and that LOB was clearly the best shooter on the team from that data.
Wasn't that LOB's game in high school?

Wasn't that LOB's game in high school?
His shooting numbers in HS weren't reading as "sharpshooter" but that's what we told ourselves. I'm thinking there was some profiling going on - "white guy from Colorado, so must be a shooter because I can't wrap my head around him being recruited as a plus athlete who can guard at least 3 positions while having great bounce & length for rebounding."

You can tell Tad is going to love Hadley on the team. Supercharged Alex Strating role of "at least he'll try". Really worried about the shooting and scoring on this team.

Also, Tad really, really loves Evan Battey

I don't get the Starting comparison, he had an offer from Texas Tech. He was a sought after player.

I don't get the Starting comparison, he had an offer from Texas Tech. He was a sought after player.
Yeah, Hadley is in a completely different stratosphere than Strating as a player. I think what the initial poster meant though, is that Hadley is willing to do all the dirty work but is a much better player than Strating.

Yeah, Hadley is in a completely different stratosphere than Strating as a player. I think what the initial poster meant though, is that Hadley is willing to do all the dirty work but is a much better player than Strating.
Yes, this is what I meant. Hadley is obviously a plus athlete and will be able to do so much more. However, we all saw that Tad would use Strating as a way to raise the team effort level during a game. I think Hadley will have the same effect

The good:
Gabbidon is a heady player and athletic enough to get to the rim and finish.
Hadley is pretty big and thick for a wing and will definitely be effective as a defensive stopper.
KJ looks good.
Nique looked like the best player on the floor.

The bad:
Neither Lovering nor Hurlburt look ready to be "good" bigs this year.
The team looks skinny. I'm worried about rebounding if we are forced to play small ball.
Quincy Allen looked especially skinny and non-aggressive. He didn't play much and when he did he deferred to others on the court.

Ruffin rolled his ankle before I got there so I still haven't seen him play live.
Ethan Wright had the ball in his hands a lot and seemed competent but I'm not sure if he has the size or athleticism to play in the PAC12.

The team did not shoot well at all but it could be due to playing against guys that know them so well that most shots were well defended.

The good:
Hadley is pretty big and thick for a wing and will definitely be effective as a defensive stopper.
KJ looks good.

The bad:
The team looks skinny. I'm worried about rebounding if we are forced to play small ball.
Quincy Allen looked especially skinny and non-aggressive. He didn't play much and when he did he deferred to others on the court.

Ruffin rolled his ankle before I got there so I still haven't seen him play live.
Ethan Wright had the ball in his hands a lot and seemed competent but I'm not sure if he has the size or athleticism to play in the PAC12.

The team did not shoot well at all but it could be due to playing against guys that know them so well that most shots were well defended.
Basketball players are skinny. Is Lovering still losing the ball because of the slightest contact like last year?

Basketball players are skinny. Is Lovering still losing the ball because of the slightest contact like last year?
I mention it because they are skinny compared to their peers at other good basketball schools. I was hoping that Da Silva, Nique, and Lovering would put on some muscle like O'Brien did last year or McKinley did between his freshman and sophomore years.

Lovering lost the ball a couple of times when he had two hands on it in the paint. He still seems to be a work in progress but he looked like he was moving around well after the knee injury.

I mention it because they are skinny compared to their peers at other good basketball schools. I was hoping that Da Silva, Nique, and Lovering would put on some muscle like O'Brien did last year or McKinley did between his freshman and sophomore years.

Lovering lost the ball a couple of times when he had two hands on it in the paint. He still seems to be a work in progress but he looked like he was moving around well after the knee injury.
IDK, you look around the NBA and it's filled with dudes are 6'7"-6'8" and barely over 200 lbs, and most of the top prospects every year are rail thin. I think some CU fans have this idea that basketball players are supposed to jacked, mid 90's bangers, but rail thin is much more the norm in college basketball.

IDK, you look around the NBA and it's filled with dudes are 6'7"-6'8" and barely over 200 lbs, and most of the top prospects every year are rail thin. I think some CU fans have this idea that basketball players are supposed to jacked, mid 90's bangers, but rail thin is much more the norm in college basketball.
I think that based on the program identity being defense & rebounding, the thought has always been that Tad's teams would physically look like prime Izzo MSU or prime JT Georgetown on the eyeball test. That certainly hasn't been the case.

The good:
KJ looks good.

The bad:

My take aways from Saturday (FWIW):
- First off, it seemed to me that the returning (and new) starters were coasting a bit and deferring to others. Not a big deal. I'm not worried about KJ, Nique and DaSilva. I'd put Allen in this group as well. I'm not worried about him at all. And he doesn't seem undersized to me at all. Talked to him and Hadley as they left the arena.
- Hammond obviously was worried about all the incoming guards and has upped his play. Looks solid, and contrary to some people's idiotic musings on this site, will not redshirt this year.
- Wright will be fine. We're not looking for starter minutes from him. He looked the part of a guy who will get you 8-10 minutes a game, hit a key shot or two and provide some smart scrappiness.
- I agree that we will have some difficulties on the boards. I hope we've become more effective shooters because there may be a game (or 5) where we get absolutely destroyed on the boards and in the paint (St. Bonnie's flashback).
- Hadley may actually be a starter. The lineup of KJ, Hadley, Nique, Allen and da Silva would be small, but our most athletic lineup. I could see either him or Allen starting and the other or LOB being the first man off the bench depending on the opponent.
- We're going to go 10 deep every game at least through the non-con schedule.
- Lovering and Hurlburt are who they are at this point. If we can get 15 hard, angry, inspired minutes a night combined from the two of them, that's just fine.
- We have no go to scorer. Worrisome.
- We'll be a better defensive team this year.
- This is a team that to hit 20 wins must: be efficient on offense (no wasted trips and stupid TOs), above 75% as a team at the FT line, very stout on defense (think 70-65 max type games), awake from the opening tip (we'll struggle to get back in games if we go down early), and above all be healthy (if we lose KJ, da Silva or Nique for any period of time we'll stumble hard).

In the end I was happy with what I saw. We're so young, we'll play dumb sometimes, but ultimately I see an 19-21 win team if everything breaks right.

Sounds like from Tad's comments the big thing is that trust in the bigs has to be developed. The offense is much more efficient and effective when they play inside-out with a paint entry. But they're not committing to that consistently.

His shooting numbers in HS weren't reading as "sharpshooter" but that's what we told ourselves. I'm thinking there was some profiling going on - "white guy from Colorado, so must be a shooter because I can't wrap my head around him being recruited as a plus athlete who can guard at least 3 positions while having great bounce & length for rebounding."
He’s the Justinian Jessup that we got. 😎

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back