What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Looking ahead 22-23

Status
Not open for further replies.
I like the core of Nique, KJ, and DaSilva over XJ, Gordon and Booker.
The talent level of the second group is significantly better. The consistent effort level of the first group is significantly better. KJ and Ski I think are pretty much a wash, this comment doesn't really apply to them.

Sorry man, but this take...
Jimmy Fallon Reaction GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

The core we have now beat Arizona, Gordon, XJ and Booker lost to Pitt by 50 points

The core we have now beat Arizona, Gordon, XJ and Booker lost to Pitt by 50 points
That's a great way to compare things! Look at one group at their absolute best, look at the other group at their absolute worst. No other data points are relevant.

The talent level of the second group is significantly better. The consistent effort level of the first group is significantly better. KJ and Ski I think are pretty much a wash, this comment doesn't really apply to them.
You and apparently others are wildly overrating XJ and Gordon's talent level.

vs Clifford and daSilva? C'mon. XJ and Gordon weren't world beaters, but I'd take XJ over Clifford EVERY day of the week and twice on Sunday and Gordon (when he was dialed in) over daSilva in a close one. Distracted, disinterested Gordon loses to daSilva, however.

No, I don't think I am. XJ is probably in the top 5 raw talent guys in the Tad era (sidebar Jabari, Spencer, Josh Scott, Derrick White for one year, I guess I wasn't counting Burks and Higgins, who are transition Tad guys. For comparison, I think XJ has more raw talent than Kin. Kin was the vastly superior player, it isn't even close). His deficiencies were in other areas that are also very important. Wes also was a talented guy.

vs Clifford and daSilva? C'mon. XJ and Gordon weren't world beaters, but I'd take XJ over Clifford EVERY day of the week and twice on Sunday and Gordon (when he was dialed in) over daSilva in a close one. Distracted, disinterested Gordon loses to daSilva, however.
XJ's skill set was a matchup nightmare. But he didn't always rebound or defend. He'd go games disinterested in doing anything on offense besides floating behind the arc.

I take prime XJ over prime Cliff, but I think we'll look back at the end of Cliff's career at CU and say we'd take Cliff over XJ on body of work.

XJ's skill set was a matchup nightmare. But he didn't always rebound or defend. He'd go games disinterested in doing anything on offense besides floating behind the arc.

I take prime XJ over prime Cliff, but I think we'll look back at the end of Cliff's career at CU and say we'd take Cliff over XJ on body of work.
haha, I hope we keep referring to Nique as Cliff, I love that nik-name

Gordon over TDS?! o_O

it's amazing how, even after beating everyone's expectations last year and being one of the most consistent contributors on the team, TDS is still not getting enough love. Gordon was a better low post defender and more consistent rebounder as a sophomore (likely dude to Jelly's injury that year), but his offense was limited to 6 feet from the hoop

TDS shot over 45% from 3, 80% from FT and just about averaged 10 ppg in league play

Cliff has all the tools, but of all returning players, we need him to take the biggest leap from last year for us to make the tourney. he really hasn't shown much yet

Gordon over TDS?! o_O

it's amazing how, even after beating everyone's expectations last year and being one of the most consistent contributors on the team, TDS is still not getting enough love. Gordon was a better low post defender and more consistent rebounder as a sophomore (likely dude to Jelly's injury that year), but his offense was limited to 6 feet from the hoop

TDS shot over 45% from 3, 80% from FT and just about averaged 10 ppg in league play

Cliff has all the tools, but of all returning players, we need him to take the biggest leap from last year for us to make the tourney. he really hasn't shown much yet
Yeah, it's stupid honestly. TDS is 6'9", can handle the ball, sees the floor great as a passer, can shoot at all three levels, has some genuine play making ability, and some here like the guy who just rebounded and was a good, not great defender.

As for XJ, not as quick or bouncy as Cliff (don't anyone dare come in here and call XJ explosive, he has a few good dunks, but was NOT a high riser), and XJ wasn't the perimeter defender Cliff is.

Adam's got a nice article up on Lawson today. One particular quote stood out and I think makes the point many of us have been trying to say about how it takes a bit longer for bigs to be successful at this level.

Lovering--"As bigs, we don't play the same type of style as we played in high school here. We have to learn a little bit more. Guards are playing basically the same as they were in high school. So I've had to adapt and just listen to what the coaches say and just work hard. You'll develop if you are consistent every day. That's what I have been trying to do."

I’m still buying any and all Lawson stock I can find.
Same. He moves so well for 7'1" guy, and he can shoot, despite him looking terrible at it last year. Also hope he has matured a bit mentally because he had a bad habit of getting down on himself when he'd screw up last year. You could see it in his face and body language.

No, I don't think I am. XJ is probably in the top 5 raw talent guys in the Tad era (sidebar Jabari, Spencer, Josh Scott, Derrick White for one year, I guess I wasn't counting Burks and Higgins, who are transition Tad guys. For comparison, I think XJ has more raw talent than Kin. Kin was the vastly superior player, it isn't even close). His deficiencies were in other areas that are also very important. Wes also was a talented guy.
I'll just say again...XJ was a slow footed, under sized 4 who lacked explosiveness. The knock on Jabari from NBA scouts was below average athleticism.

On raw athleticism it's Roberson, Bey, King, Burks, Booker

Spencer, Scott, White, and Higgins were more skilled but not on those aforementioned guys' level in terms of raw athletic ability with the exception of Burks.

I'll just say again...XJ was a slow footed, under sized 4 who lacked explosiveness. The knock on Jabari from NBA scouts was below average athleticism.

On raw athleticism it's Roberson, Bey, King, Burks, Booker

Spencer, Scott, White, and Higgins were more skilled but not on those aforementioned guys' level in terms of raw athletic ability with the exception of Burks.
Raw talent ≠ athleticism. They are different things. FWIW Jaron Hopkins was as athletic as anybody Tad has recruited.

I really like this - someone asked Rooney about Clifford bulking up:

"On the eye test, I feel like it's Clifford and KJ Simpson that have bulked up the most. But strength coach Steve Engelhart told me the guy who made the biggest offseason gains in the weight room was Tristan da Silva."

1. I just love the idea of him coming out stronger and tougher.
2. You make the biggest gains, through desire and hardwork. He is obviously gearing up to be the best he can be.

If LL puts it together this year, it could be a great year. My problem is I moved to the east coast - a lot of real late games.

Go Buffs.

Same. He moves so well for 7'1" guy, and he can shoot, despite him looking terrible at it last year. Also hope he has matured a bit mentally because he had a bad habit of getting down on himself when he'd screw up last year. You could see it in his face and body language.
I think he can really help this team on D and the glass, but the shooting might take more than a season to develop. Last year wasn't the biggest sample size, but he shot 30% from the floor and 44% from the line.

I think he can really help this team on D and the glass, but the shooting might take more than a season to develop. Last year wasn't the biggest sample size, but he shot 30% from the floor and 44% from the line.

He was completely lost on offense last season. If he really can shoot, Tad needs to run a play for him once or twice a game just to try to get him comfortable.

CU fans were so spoiled by Josh Scott it's not even funny. Not only was he an amazing player and a good dude, but he was the rare freshman big that came in and contributed from day one. Most of these guys are gonna take 1-2 years to produce. It's a whole other level in college for bigs. I remember being stunned at the difference between high school ball and AAU ball and I grew up in a small area that had no talent what-so-ever. And I sucked! I can't imagine the difference between high school (especially in WY or ND) and the Pac-12.

I want to see flashes from Lovering this year. That's all I'm asking. Next year I expect him to contribute hardcore.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back