What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Lytle Gone

In nearly any other scenario, yes I think he would be. But I think people are overlooking the ridiculous numbers Broussard was putting up this year. He had more yards through 4 games than any CU running back EVER. That includes a Heisman trophy winner and some all-time greats. I don't foresee Clayton being the #1 until he would be a junior/senior here if he stayed because Brou is only a Soph. We all want him to stay but him leaving wouldn't be a huge surprise.
That's the problem, though. Brou running the ball 30 times/game isn't sustainable. This shouldn't be a RB1 vs RB2 situation, it should be RB1A and RB1B. A 50/40/10 split would be ideal among the top 3 RBs. There's no reason to be doing a 90/3.33/3.33/3.33 like they have so far this season.

That's the problem, though. Brou running the ball 30 times/game isn't sustainable. This shouldn't be a RB1 vs RB2 situation, it should be RB1A and RB1B. A 50/40/10 split would be ideal among the top 3 RBs. There's no reason to be doing a 90/3.33/3.33/3.33 like they have so far this season.
.01 remaining in your calculation should have been the Joe Davis allocation.

In nearly any other scenario, yes I think he would be. But I think people are overlooking the ridiculous numbers Broussard was putting up this year. He had more yards through 4 games than any CU running back EVER. That includes a Heisman trophy winner and some all-time greats. I don't foresee Clayton being the #1 until he would be a junior/senior here if he stayed because Brou is only a Soph. We all want him to stay but him leaving wouldn't be a huge surprise.
I agree he deserves his run, no doubt. I just think it would be good for him if Clayton got some run too. It's not like Brou is 200 plus, but he's been getting 30 carries. All I'm saying is Clayton could be a good security blanket. If he doesn't want that, there's the door.

Clayton and Brew can put up gawdy numbers. North Carolina offense can be a blueprint.

I agree he deserves his run, no doubt. I just think it would be good for him if Clayton got some run too. It's not like Brou is 200 plus, but he's been getting 30 carries. All I'm saying is Clayton could be a good security blanket. If he doesn't want that, there's the door.
Clayton is a talent and should be getting more carries now. I don't know where Hagan got the stick up his *** but he isn't very good at handling personalities and a lot of time superior talent comes with some personality attached. If Hagan had been the RB coach then we probably would have lost Salaam because Hagan didn't think he blocked well enough.

There is a certain amount of having to wait for a turn as well. No Joe Davis shouldn't be getting carries when Clayton is only getting a couple and I like Mang but he should be behind Clayton as well.

Broussard has earned the big majority of carries with results he has three more years here so I can see Clayton looking at potentially getting limited chances.

Don't forget as well that Fontenot is likely to be back and he had over 800 yards rushing and almost 1000 yards total from scrimmage and he has a couple more years as well. Fontenot's injury is undisclosed but didn't require surgery and he potentially could have come back and played this year so a good chance he will be fully healthy going into camp for next season.

One other thing to throw into this mix, Broussard's knee is just one awkward plant or twisted tackle from being done for good. That alone should force our staff to keep all our RBs (except for Joe Davis, he can go) happy and loved.

One other thing to throw into this mix, Broussard's knee is just one awkward plant or twisted tackle from being done for good. That alone should force our staff to keep all our RBs (except for Joe Davis, he can go) happy and loved.
Hagan has favorites and I don't think it's a secret as to the attributes he likes. Unheralded, hard working, no ego, etc (Phil Lindsay, Broussard, Joe Davis). Sure, Clayton got hurt and didn't know as much about pass pro early on, but he's healthy now and Hagan is on record before the Arizona game saying Clayton has it figured out. Feels like Hagan is basically telling Clayton and Mangham to get in line or else.

Hagan has favorites and I don't think it's a secret as to the attributes he likes. Unheralded, hard working, no ego, etc (Phil Lindsay, Broussard, Joe Davis). Sure, Clayton got hurt and didn't know as much about pass pro early on, but he's healthy now and Hagan is on record before the Arizona game saying Clayton has it figured out. Feels like Hagan is basically telling Clayton and Mangham to get in line or else.
Hagan also probably feels like he is in a position to tell them to get in line. I bet if you ask him he wants them to stick around but in the back of his mind he knows next year Broussard and Fontenot would be the Pac 12's best running back room by themselves, Clayton just makes it even better.

Yep, he doesn't even have to get hit honestly. So, it's one knee or has he had the trouble in both?

Last edited:
Kids just don't like competition these days. You need to be so good, the coach can't take you off the field.

Wish him the best in his future endeavors. Lewis should get the bulk of the reps as the backup this week and for the bowl game.

Hagan also probably feels like he is in a position to tell them to get in line. I bet if you ask him he wants them to stick around but in the back of his mind he knows next year Broussard and Fontenot would be the Pac 12's best running back room by themselves, Clayton just makes it even better.
If we are going to emphasize the running game like we should, you will need, at minimum, 3 good backs.

Good thread, would read again. I came into this year thinking that we might win 1 game. One. So, losing Lytle because Sam ****ing Noyer came out of nowhere and has balled beyond any of our dreams should not really upset anyone.

Part of the issue with a former WR as OC is that they overemphasize the passing game.
Weren't we like 3rd in the country behind Navy and Army in % of running plays per game prior to last week?

This is what I've been thinking, but didn't feel like facing the backlash for actually putting those thoughts into words here.

Clayton is a talent and should be getting more carries now. I don't know where Hagan got the stick up his *** but he isn't very good at handling personalities and a lot of time superior talent comes with some personality attached. If Hagan had been the RB coach then we probably would have lost Salaam because Hagan didn't think he blocked well enough.

There is a certain amount of having to wait for a turn as well. No Joe Davis shouldn't be getting carries when Clayton is only getting a couple and I like Mang but he should be behind Clayton as well.

Broussard has earned the big majority of carries with results he has three more years here so I can see Clayton looking at potentially getting limited chances.

Don't forget as well that Fontenot is likely to be back and he had over 800 yards rushing and almost 1000 yards total from scrimmage and he has a couple more years as well. Fontenot's injury is undisclosed but didn't require surgery and he potentially could have come back and played this year so a good chance he will be fully healthy going into camp for next season.
All I'm saying is Clayton could be really good here. I'm not trying to minimize what Broh has done, at all. If Font comes back, great. I'd be happy.

You can add Rodney Stewart to that list. I used to think that Hagan favored undersized backs but maybe that's just goes hand-in-hand with unheralded.

The irony is that Hagan himself was about as blue-chip as one can be.

These kids these days....and especially in QB, RB, WR positions.

I dont understand the hostility to these situations. These kids are recruited in the middle of high school, some have high expectations that dont work out, some do better in college than expected. If you are in Lytle's shoes, you are sitting behind Noyer this year (maybe next), know what Lewis is doing at practice, and likely knows he is behind him too, so why not go somewhere they can play?

I dont know about you guys, but I dont blame him at all, and neither should the coaches.

I view it as similar to Daylen Kountz, who if I am reading between the lines, I think Tad helped him transfer to UNC. Asked him what he wanted, he clearly wanted to play more, but was sitting behind too many people at CU, so went somewhere he could play.

Back