What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mac will be back !!!

I don't think it's a "long term" fix, but I haven't heard anybody say that they think it is a long term fix, either.

Every report I've heard in this matter is that McCartney would just be a temporary hire. I think there's a lot of benefit from such a move, if it is made, especially if a firing occurs DURING the season.

ok..ok..

I have a reliable source. A customer where I work who played for CU in the mid 1960s.
I actually saw him yesterday & said "I heard a rumor Coach Mac wants to coach at CU again."
My customer looked surprised and told me "Whom ever is your source is 100% correct"

He went ahead and did mention the 2-3 yr max term- Mac would bring in several black assistant coaches and the idea
would be for either EB or Embree to take over as head coach. This is something the big $$$ donors want.
Sounds like Bohn needs to be convinced as he has tunnel vision towards Calhoun.

ok..ok..

I have a reliable source. A customer where I work who played for CU in the mid 1960s.
I actually saw him yesterday & said "I heard a rumor Coach Mac wants to coach at CU again."
My customer looked surprised and told me "Whom ever is your source is 100% correct"

He went ahead and did mention the 2-3 yr max term- Mac would bring in several black assistant coaches and the idea
would be for either EB or Embree to take over as head coach. This is something the big $$$ donors want.

Very interesting indeed. Mac always was a champion of creating opportunities for black coaches. He led the charge amongst all NCAA coaches at the time. He also has it in his heart to promote black men to really change the culture, especially regarding fatherhood. AND PLEASE, DO NOT TAKE THAT AS ANY KIND OF RACIST STATEMENT!

Last edited:
ITB,

Bohn does have a "just in case" list and Calhoun is definitely a prominent name on it. But the report by AZ about Bohn being locked on Calhoun was overstated a bit by his source. I didn't want to get into it with him on his site.

i don't see calhoun as being the right fit in boulder. recruiting to a service academy and the people's republic is night and day.

The more I think about it the more I don't know if its a good idea. It could make recruiting tough. People outside the program could look at it and think that they will only have him for 2 years then what?? Also if Bienemy or Embree isn't ready to do the job then why hire them in the first place? It would put them in an awkward position as well always having to deal with the media questioning if they are ready and who is really coaching the team? I don't know man I think kids these days would look at it pretty skeptically. You might get a small bump from the in state kids who's parents are buff fans but I think it could actually hurt the out of state recruiting. All I know is if Hawk doesn't win 8 games this year then I want somebody else and I would really like to see us look OUTSIDE the state of Colorado (Sorry Calhoun) and OUTSIDE of a mid major program. We need a guy who is either coming directly from the NFL or directly from another powerhouse BCS school under big time pressure not this micky mouse MWC or Boise ****!!

very interesting indeed. Mac always was a proponent, not the right word, of promoting black coaches. He led the charge amongst all ncaa coaches at the time. He also has it in his heart to promote black men to really change the culture, especially regarding fatherhood. And please, do not take that as any kind of racist statement!

racist...

I'm on board with this. EB &/or Embree should be the next coach anyway. Mac was never a big x & o guy, he always had great assistants & recruited. He's a program builder better suited for AD imo.

& KSjcU pulled their former coach out of his coffin. Dr Scum @ Nub has helped turn that program around too. I've heard worse ideas...

ok..ok..

I don't think it's a "long term" fix, but I haven't heard anybody say that they think it is a long term fix, either.

Every report I've heard in this matter is that McCartney would just be a temporary hire. I think there's a lot of benefit from such a move, if it is made, especially if a firing occurs DURING the season.

Mac as a interim coach would be great for hiring his own replacement and then help with rebuilding the entire coaching staff. But were all stuck having to wait and see how the season starts out. Which begets the next question, if it were to actually happen what is Talkins buyout if the s*it hits the fan again?

I assume Hawkins, perhaps his family or even some of his players read this site and several others like it. I can't imagine how they must feel when they read some of the things people say about them and the Buff program.

I know this happens to many coaches, and those close to them all around the country, but it still has to be tough to get players, coaches and fans focused and fired up to have a successful season.

To bad it has to go that way sometimes when a change wasn't made when the time was right to do so.

Good Luck in the 12-Pac!

Mac as a interim coach would be great for hiring his own replacement and then help with rebuilding the entire coaching staff. But were all stuck having to wait and see how the season starts out. Which begets the next question, if it were to actually happen what is Talkins buyout if the s*it hits the fan again?

I think it's down to $2 mil now

Bringing Mac back into the fold would be a tremendous idea. I just don't think they should make him the new HC. I would hope they could give him a asst. AD title. I'm sure he'd do a great job bringing more donations into the program.

One issue that keep coming to mind is recruiting. I really can't see Mac hitting that recruiting trail like he used to. Not at this age.

I wouldn't mind being wrong though. GO BUFFS.

i don't see calhoun as being the right fit in boulder. recruiting to a service academy and the people's republic is night and day.

He was also offensive coordinator at Wake. He has coached and recruited at the BCS level. He has also been an Offensive Coordinator in the NFL. I'm not 100% sold that he's the right guy if it comes to it, but he is super qualified.

I talked to someone in the know recently and he was surprised that I threw up the Mac rumor (must not visit the interweb much)...wouldn't confirm it but wouldn't deny it either. Just told me that "help is on the way." Whatever that means.

Bringing Mac back into the fold would be a tremendous idea. I just don't think they should make him the new HC. I would hope they could give him a asst. AD title. I'm sure he'd do a great job bringing more donations into the program.

One issue that keep coming to mind is recruiting. I really can't see Mac hitting that recruiting trail like he used to. Not at this age.

I wouldn't mind being wrong though. GO BUFFS.

There's a few posts that I agree with here, but this one hits the nail on the head. I'd love to see Mac involved in the program again. I'm a huge fan of what he did here before, and I even respect what he's done since. But it's been 15 years. A lot of things have changed. The staff and the administration, among others. And recruiting. Let's not forget the class of 2011 was toilet training about the time Mac retired.

If somebody can tell me what we can gain by bringing him in for 2-3 years, then looking for a permanent coach, as opposed to getting the right guy now, I might think about it. But right now it absolutely reeks of desperation and a total lack of confidence in their ability to make the right long-term decision. If they need to fire Hawk before the season is over, I'd turn the reins over to Cabral. Then bring Mac into the AD to help with the search for a hew coach. The best coach they can get, with or without some kind of nostalgia trip attached...

No Thanks. Mac is a geezer with way too much baggage. No recruit is going to know who he is anyway.

I don't think he is the right choice. Buffs need to be looking forward, not behind. However, I would take him over Hawk everyday of the week and twice on Saturdays

Klatt seemed to think that EB is waiting just hanging out in MN learning and waiting for Dan to get the boot. I would love to see EB come back as the HC with Mac in some capacity.

No to Calhoun. The MAC idea is very good if he is bringing in good assistants as head coach in waiting.

The bigger issue I have about this rumor is, if this is really going to happen why are we waiting? Wouldn't they have pulled the trigger by now? Instead (assuming DH has a tough year) we have to wait the whole season. I would think it would be hard for all these guys to come on board mid season.

I want DH to succeed because I want a winning season. But for the long-term health of the program I want this MAC/coach in waiting thing to happen as well.

Klatt seemed to think that EB is waiting just hanging out in MN learning and waiting for Dan to get the boot. I would love to see EB come back as the HC with Mac in some capacity.

And, IF Hawkins doesn't turn it around like I think he will, Mac would be a great bridge for the remainder of the year to next year and a great mentor after that.

There's no way Mac Brown leaves UT to coach Colorado. All of you guys are idiots.

oh, you mean there's a different Mac in this world?? who knew?

Sounds like Bohn needs to be convinced as he has tunnel vision towards Calhoun.[/QUOTE]

(original poster here)I heard this part to today about Mac mentoring Black coaches and EB would be groomed for CU HC job. I also heard that it is being pushed big time by big $ donors. I'm not really sure what to think about it.

(original poster here)I heard this part to today about Mac mentoring Black coaches and EB would be groomed for CU HC job. I also heard that it is being pushed big time by big $ donors. I'm not really sure what to think about it.[/QUOTE]

I don't really have any scoop on this, but I have heard second and third hand that the Mac thing is popular but not likely to happen. I really don't know what to make of it right now, but I'm putting it in the same file as the Shanny to coach CU rumors.....If CU wins 8 games, this is all academic, so I expect we will be rehashing this around Oct 10 or so....

The reason you guys kept Hawk around last year is because you didn't have the $$ to pay him off. Now you're believing a rumor that they'll do it mid-season which actually hurts a teams ability to make money during the season?? Not plausible.

Bologna

The reason you guys kept Hawk around last year is because you didn't have the $$ to pay him off. Now you're believing a rumor that they'll do it mid-season which actually hurts a teams ability to make money during the season?? Not plausible.

Bologna

Not the reason we kept him. Money was there. State budget cutbacks meant that the university had to make budget cuts. For the Regents, we had interim elections for most of them in 2010.

Internal and external politics made firing a coach and paying a $3 million or so buyout untenable for the politicians involved (university president & regents). Even though the money was there and it was from private sources, it would have still created a ****storm with voters and university employees.

Firing a coach this year doesn't have the same issues. 2011 isn't an election year and budgets are already adjusted to account for the current economic climate.

P.S. I know this is really hard to accept for people who live in certain states or cheer for certain teams. But there are places where the athletic department of the state's flagship university is considered a small division of a billion dollar enterprise that has more important missions than out-competing the NFL for the entertainment dollar of state residents.

Bologna
Actually Kamel, $$$ wasn't the issue, political perception was the issue. Our President, who I think screwed the pooch royally on this, believed he would get more state funding if he did not have to explain why CU was paying off a second coach in four years. The funding process is now over, the admin has seen how badly they handled this, and lastly, the $$$ was already in place to flush. The President scotched it at the last minute and now we're stuck with another year of Hawk droppings. f he doesn't get to 7-8 wins, he's a goner IMO. I understand it's hard to believe a University has priorites other than FB, but that is the difference between CU and NU.

Back