What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MacIntyre extension

From a Daily Camera article after Embree was fired
CU spokesman Bronson Hilliard confirmed the total buyout for the three years remaining on Embree's contract and offensive coordinator Eric Bieniemy's contract is $2.437,500

Embree did not receive a "mandatory Tabor extension". He received a 5-year contract in 2011 and that was it. Sorry to ruin the narrative that you were having so much fun with.

From a Daily Camera article after Embree was fired

Embree did not receive a "mandatory Tabor extension". He received a 5-year contract in 2011 and that was it. Sorry to ruin the narrative that you were having so much fun with.

If Mac was to be let go today Hilliard would say the same thing, he's referencing the buyout terms that are not reset by this "renewal"

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/Coloradotrv">@Coloradotrv</a> A couple years ago, CU adopted policy of automatically rolling over its contracts each year to keep them at five years.</p>&mdash; Kyle Ringo (@KyleRingo) <a href="https://twitter.com/KyleRingo/statuses/436542295052017664">February 20, 2014</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Here is a link to the earliest "regent" extension article I can find on Boyle:
http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_21996186/cu-regents-approve-1-year-contract-extension-basketball

I found another later one for Boyle and Lappe here:
http://www.dailycamera.com/ci_23502502/cu-regents-extend-contracts-tad-boyle-linda-lappe

Which references "regent" extensions in Feb of 2012 but I can't find those articles on that round right now. This "extension" for Mac2 coincides with the regent calendar for Boyle/Lappe of Feb/June I would expect to see Tad and Linda re-upped again either in June or in the Nov. budget meeting.

Prior to that there are no regent related records for contracts so it looks like this change went into effect in January of 2012.

Ok so honest question here (don't throw a fit CVille) but let's say HCMM goes 2-10 in '14 and '15. Does that mean he is still TABOR extended two more times til 2020? So in year 4 he will have 4 years left on his contract?

Ok so honest question here (don't throw a fit CVille) but let's say HCMM goes 2-10 in '14 and '15. Does that mean he is still TABOR extended two more times til 2020? So in year 4 he will have 4 years left on his contract?

On paper yes, but his contract would be ruled by the terms of that year so the year three buyout clause or the 2015 buyout number Slade quoted would govern which is roughly 1.6million. I haven't read Mac2's contract recently but they likely worded it with this renewal process in mind so they they either say in year X of employment or alternately in 2015.

Many of these contracts also include baked in raises, COLA's etc. if the regents reset the contracts as some in this thread fear the coach would perpetually be in year 1 of his contract with the highest possible buyout and lowest incentive packages.

I know we are conditioned to expect the worst from the school for good reason but it pays to understand the mechanisms and how they work before expending energy worrying about them.

If Mac was to be let go today Hilliard would say the same thing, he's referencing the buyout terms that are not reset by this "renewal"

So why wasn't Embree extended if this happens with everyone. If the contract is automatically rolled over to keep them at five years, how would Embree only have 3-years remaining on his contract?

So why wasn't Embree extended if this happens with everyone. If the contract is automatically rolled over to keep them at five years, how would Embree only have 3-years remaining on his contract?

Sounds like the Regents started this policy in 2012. So Embree's first automatic roll over would have occurred in Feb/March of 2013. Of course, that was OBE...

On paper yes, but his contract would be ruled by the terms of that year so the year three buyout clause or the 2015 buyout number Slade quoted would govern which is roughly 1.6million. I haven't read Mac2's contract recently but they likely worded it with this renewal process in mind so they they either say in year X of employment or alternately in 2015.

Many of these contracts also include baked in raises, COLA's etc. if the regents reset the contracts as some in this thread fear the coach would perpetually be in year 1 of his contract with the highest possible buyout and lowest incentive packages.

I know we are conditioned to expect the worst from the school for good reason but it pays to understand the mechanisms and how they work before expending energy worrying about them.

Don't confuse a buyout with a payoff.

If MacIntyre decides to leave (takes a job elsewhere) he has to pay a buyout. That figure reduces each year he is head coach at CU. i.e. it is cheaper for him to take a job elsewhere after 4 years than it would be if he left today.

If CU decides to fire MacIntyre, he is owed the entirety of his remaining contract, for however many years that may be. So if CU fires him today - they owe him 5 years ($10 million), thanks to this recent extension.

If MacIntyre decides to leave (takes a job elsewhere) he has to pay a buyout. That figure reduces each year he is head coach at CU. i.e. it is cheaper for him to take a job elsewhere after 4 years than it would be if he left today.

If CU decides to fire MacIntyre, he is owed the entirety of his remaining contract, for however many years that may be. So if CU fires him today - they owe him 5 years ($10 million), thanks to this recent extension.

So MikMac will never be fired....just sayin'.

This is not true. Coaches get fired all the time and negotiate how much they will get paid to sever the contract.

Can you let it go? You made your point yesterday.

OK, who the hell here knows what the terms of his contract and extension are? Unless you know, stop bitching. I wouldn't be cool with extending his contract AND his payout terms. But if his payout amount continues to drop based on the original contract, I'm fine with the extension. It speaks of stability to recruits and I'm sure that's why they do it.

This is allbuffs. You must skip over the weekly posts on seattle/hopkins, bigbang/40 time, tini and gaining 25lbs in a semester.
The difference is they aren't drawing attention to themselves, you are. Cville even offered you an olive branch with the "agree to disagree." You look small right now by continuing this battle.

Back