What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Match thread - #16 Soccer hosts Oregon (Saturday, 1:00 PM MT)

AztecBuff

Club Member
Club Member
It's a "light" weekend for the #16 soccer Buffs, as they only have one match, this Saturday at 1:00 MT, against an Oregon team that, although only 1-4-0 in Pac play, showed how dangerous they can be by taking #1 Stanford to overtime last weekend.

Hope some Allbuffians can make it out to Prentup Field to see one undefeated Buff team play in the afternoon before settling in to watch another one play in the evening!

Preview -

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/10/10/soccer-no-16-colorado-set-to-host-colorado.aspx

"
BOULDER—The Colorado women's soccer team moved up four spots to No. 16 in this week's United Soccer Coaches poll and will close out its three-game homestand against Oregon on Saturday.

The Buffaloes (11-0-3, 3-0-2) jumped in the rankings after going 2-0 at Prentup Field last week. Colorado scored a 3-1 win over then No. 7 Washington State, handing the Cougars their first loss of the season. The Buffs wrapped up the weekend in thrilling fashion, defeating Washington 2-1 in double overtime.

Oregon (7-5-1, 1-4-0) has lost its last four matches after a 1-0 start to Pac-12 play. The Ducks are strong in net thanks to Halla Hinriksdottir. She is second in the conference with five shutouts this season. Hinriksdottir is third in Oregon history with 22 career wins, totaling 14 shutouts.

Saturday's game is the annual Kick Cancer match. The first 250 fans will receive free pink koozies.
"

Live Video (Free live stream ) - https://pac-12.com/live/cubuffs

Live Stats
- https://cubuffs.com/sidearmstats/wsoc/

Hope some Allbuffians can make it out to Prentup Field to see one undefeated Buff team play in the afternoon before settling in to watch another one play in the evening!
Unfortunately, I'll miss this one a I'll be out of town. Hope to gert some good reports from hose that are there.

All conference foes can be challenging, so let's hope our Buffs are mentally ready. Being at home, it' a must win situation if they want to continue to rise in the RPI rankings.

Edit- From the Buffzone preview (http://www.buffzone.com/soccer/ci_32202972/game-preview-oregon-at-no-16-colorado-soccer) , A team, along with a few individual Buff, stats of note:
  • "The Buffs already have set a team record for assists (45) and with 39 goals are also closing in on the program record of 45. CU's 39 goals ranked second in the nation to begin the week."
  • "Only two players in CU history have scored more goals in a season than the 11 collected so far by Barton and Baucom — Katie Griffin (12 in 2005) and Nikki Marshall (11 in 2004)"
  • "Including her first three collegiate seasons at LSU, Baucom began the week ranked third among all active Division I players with 100 career points."
  • "Tompkins needs two more wins to match Jessica Keller's career record of 37 wins" (for goalies)

Last edited:
GOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLL Korneick on a penalty kick after she hassles a defender into committing a foul (believe hand ball?) inside the box.

From live stats -
"
32:12 COLO Kornieck, Taylor PENALTY KICK GOAL; Goal number 5 for season.
"

GGGGGGGGGOOOOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLL Puketapu on a BEAUTIFUL feed from Zuniga that finds her head!!!!!!!

2-0 BUUFFFFFFFSSSSSSSS!!!

From live stats-
"
36:08 GOAL Header GOAL by COLO Puketapu, Marty; Assist by Zuniga, Stephanie; Goal number 3 for season.; Pass from #19 from midlfield, header goal from #21 in the box.
"

Lets make it TTTTTTHHHHHHHRRRRRRRRRRRREEEEEEEEEEE!!!

Korneick with a 2nd penalty shot GGOOOOAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLL after Geraghty goes one on one and gets a defender to trip her in the box!!!!

"
41:14 PENSHOT COLO Kornieck, Taylor PENALTY KICK GOAL; Goal number 6 for season.
"

Last edited:
I just noticed I made MANY posts about this match in the wrong thread (that I will be deleting), so this thread was accidentally quiet. Sorry about that.

Anyways, here's the highlight of the Buffs 4th goal by Geraghty from Kingsbury (a beauty!)!

Last edited:
I’m out of town- so I missed the match. Buffs continue to score early and often which is a good formula for success. Now tied for the longest unbeaten streak in school history. No surprise that Taylor converted both PKs. Two more road games before finishing with three at home.

Article on the win-

Direct link - https://cubuffs.com/news/2018/10/13/soccer-no-20-colorado-extends-unbeaten-streak-to-15.aspx

"
BOULDER—The No. 16 Colorado women's soccer team tied its longest unbeaten streak in program history with its 4-1 win over Oregon on Saturday.

The Buffaloes' streak is now at 15 games, improving to 12-0-3 on the season and 4-0-2 in the Pac-12 Conference. Oregon falls to 7-6-1 overall and 1-5-0 in the conference.

The 2003 Buffaloes totaled a 15-game unbeaten streak after dropping their first contest of the season.

HOW IT HAPPENED: The two sides played up and down the field in the early portion of the match, with each team looking to establish control.

The first break of the afternoon went in favor of the Buffs. Oregon was whistled for a handball inside the box, awarding Colorado a penalty kick in the 33rd minute. Head coach Danny Sanchez elected for junior Taylor Kornieck to step up and take the kick. She was calm under pressure and placed the ball in the lower left corner of the net, giving the Buffs a 1-0 advantage.

KEY STATISTIC: Colorado was the beneficiary of key fouls against the Ducks. Oregon was whistled for 12 fouls in all, including a yellow card. CU was called for nine fouls in the game.

BY THE NUMBERS:
Colorado

Goals: 4
Shots: 16
Fouls: 9
Saves: 3

Oregon
Goals:
Shots: 11
Fouls: 12
Saves: 7

UP NEXT: Colorado takes to the road for the final time in Pac-12 play. The Buffs will be at California (Oct. 18) and at No. 1 Stanford (Oct. 21.)

NOTES: Kornieck's two penalty kick goals was the first time Colorado had scored two PK goals in the same game since 2002…Kornieck moved into sole possession of fourth on CU's all-time points list now with 65…she is also fifth in career goals, now with 24…Tompkins gets credit for the win, marking the 36th of her career. She is now one win shy of tying Jessica Keller for the school record…Colorado has scored 43 goals this season, tied for the second-most in program history.

QUOTABLE:
Head Coach Danny Sanchez

On overall performance
"I thought our movement was very good. I thought we were playing on the front-foot. On the first goal—yeah it was a penalty—but Taylor [Kornieck] created it by putting pressure on their defenders. I thought the second goal was quality. It was a great serve from Stephanie [Zuniga] and a great finish from Marty [Puketapu]. Marty has been training really well so it was great for her to get in and get a goal. The third goal—once again Libby [Geraghty] created it—taking people on and Taylor buried it. I was a little disappointed to give up the one goal, but Oregon is a good team. They are going to score. I was really pleased with how we bounced back. It was a great finish by Libby off a nice assist from Chaynee [Kingsbury]. It was a really good win for us against a very good team today."

On the play of CU's defense
"I thought they played well today. We gave up the one, but it was off the second phase of a set piece. That is something that we can coach through. Overall, our shape was good. Jesse [Loren], Kayleigh [Webb} and Nancy [Best], when she stepped in, was very good. Erin [Greening] was fantastic today. I thought Sophia [Weiner] and Gabby Chappa were both very good as well.."

Junior Taylor Kornieck
On overall team play
"I think we just came out well. I think with it being our Pink Game—we are in new jerseys—we all got a lot of confidence from that. We just started playing well together."

On taking the penalty kicks
"I have been taking the PK's since freshman year. It was pretty shocking as a freshman to go out and take that first one. I've built a lot of confidence from every PK that I have taken. It just means a lot to get the opportunity to take those for my team."
"
__________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/boxscore.aspx?path=wsoc&id=11377

Congrats to Coach Sanchez on being inducted into the Metro State Hall of Fame yesterday!
(Among other things, he coached their soccer team to 2 national championships in his 6 seasons there.)

Back