What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread- VOLLEYBALL hosts (Thurs., 9/14/23, 7:00 PM MT) and visits (Friday, 7:00 PM) CSU and hosts DU (Sunday @ 2:00 PM MT)

The team impressed me last night. When they found themselves down 0-2, I thought they would get swept 0-3/

Don't know what Jesse said or changed to turn it around, but it worked. Impressive win.

The play by play guy for CSU has so much more volleyball knowledge than whoever the Pac 12 used the night before. Guessing we get that guy again tomorrow.

The team impressed me last night. When they found themselves down 0-2, I thought they would get swept 0-3/

Don't know what Jesse said or changed to turn it around, but it worked. Impressive win.

The play by play guy for CSU has so much more volleyball knowledge than whoever the Pac 12 used the night before. Guessing we get that guy again tomorrow.
I felt the same way. That play by play guy was really awesome to listen to. He had complimentary things to say about some of our players and scheme.

I also felt that being down 0-2 that it was over and they’d be swept. I turned it off and came back to it, shocked we had won a set. And then was fun to just watch the difference in the team. It was like watching a totally different team. They just executed and seemed like they were working wel, communicating well as a team. Whatever Jesse said or did, it worked. Awesome win.

Now, please just fix the service error issue!

thinking about it, I think the team was maybe rattled a little bit the rivalry at first? We all know that when CSU plays us, it’s like their Super Bowl. No matter sport it is, it’s the biggest game of the season. Is it possible that we won because the Buffs just finally realized they needed to just get settled down and then just execute their game plan?

I watched he CSU/Stanford game and thought the announcers were much better I am not of a fan of Thad Anderson, who does a ton of CU games for volleyball and soccer. I really think they need a 2nd person who knows volleyball and can be a color person to help out. Hope AK is not injured to bad and can be back for the ac 12 schedule. Great win for the buffs

Kuehl didn't play much last night either. That is not good. The team needs her.

One of the players said the team was a bit rattled by the size of the crowd. It's always like that in Fort Collins. Always.

The Pac 12 announcers for volleyball don't know how to call a volleyball match. The student broadcast for Illinois is pure volleyball.

I know in the past whoever did the CU women's sports would have a decent play by play person for a set, but not a match. It was usually a former player.

When it comes to hoops, I listen to Cory and Carol and sync to television because they know what they are doing.

The Buffs have started a generally young lineup (almost all usual non-starters) today, and so far it is NOT working at all, as they're down 3-8.

I must say I'm not a fan of not starting your best players. I'd rather the starters get you some cushion (if the opponent doesn't prove tougher than anticipated) then, IF the Buffs win a 1st set and get a decent 2nd set lead, THEN go to the bench and give your other players some nice playing time.

A 6-13 DU lead leads to a CU timeout.

DU gets the 1st 20-25.

CU did start subbing in most of its starters (that weren't already playing) after the timeout I referenced above, with the starting setter entering after the timeout and one of their starting outside hitters and middle blockers following a few points later, but it was too late to salvage the set.

Phew - even the CU starters have all they can handle with DU, but tie it up 1-1 after a 25-20 2nd set. (CU looked comfortable early and built up a 6-7 point lead, but then DU got it down to 1 (believe 20-19). But then the Buffs came on strong (esp. Hadrych with I believe 2 blocks and a thundering kill late) to win it.)

In almost a mirror image of the 2nd set, the Buffs get out to a relatively comfortable (6 point) lead around the midpoint of the match, but then the Pioneers got it down to 1 (19-18), followed by CU rallying to close it out, this time 25-19.

#4 Lexi H is a badass! We also came away really impressed with #17, had no idea she was a true freshman. Shelomi came in at one point and sat sorta near us which felt kinda surreal lol.

DU seemed really solid, was surprised to see on Twitter that their overall record is now 1-7.

Thank you for the updates, AztecBuff! You are a rockstar! Did Jesse address the starting lineup in the presser after the game? I understand wanting to get the court exposure and confidence going for the younger players before conference play, but was DU a good opponent to try "experimenting" against? Glad to finish out the non-con with a W. This team certainly has the size, talent, ball IQ, and skill to qualify for the NCAA tourney at the end of the season...conference play is going to be very exciting to watch this year. A few different teams have the potential to take the conference crown. Hopefully Alexia makes a speedy and complete recovery. GO BUFFS!!!

Media after tonight's win:

Article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/9/17/volleyball-buffs-win-last-match-before-conference-play.aspx

"
BOULDER - The Colorado women's volleyball team took care of business against the Denver Pioneers in four sets (20-25, 25-21, 25-19, 25-18) here Sunday afternoon. CU was able to add another match to the win column before it starts conference play on Thursday.

The Buffaloes (8-3) dropped the first set to the Pioneers (1-7), however they were able to flip the switch and win the next three sets behind an amazing performance from Lexi Hadrych.

Hadrych was a force to be reckoned with on the attack as she picked up 22 kills, matching her career-high. She was also very efficient at the net with a .613 hitting percentage which led all players.

The Buffs stepped up on the defensive end, racking up 16 blocks and holding Denver to just a .169 hitting percentage in the match. Skyy Howard led the team in blocks with seven while Cayla Payne and Taylor Simpson both recorded six. Howard also added eight kills offensively.

Colorado women's volleyball capped off a great weekend with the win over Denver today. The team will turn its attention to Thursday, Sept. 21 when it will face the Utah Utes in its first conference match of the season.

QUOTES
Head Coach Jesse Mahoney

Opening Statement
"We always enjoy winning. After the first set where we allowed them to hit over .500, I don't think we let them over .100 after that. They essentially hit zero in sets two, three, and four. I was excited to see that kind of focus after losing that first set. A lot of really good performances individually and I think in general, a nice performance collectively. We got better as the match went on, which is really good to see. I still feel like our best volleyball is in front of us, which is exciting. We just have to work towards that every day."

Setter Taylor Simpson

On Connecting With Hitters
"I would say just knowing who's on at the right time. Obviously, Lexi had a really good game today. I just kept giving her the ball and she kept getting kills. I can kind of just tell who's good at the moment."

Outside hitter Lexi Hadrych

On Seeing The Court
"I think it's, first of all, they're great sets [from Simpson], every single one of them. It was so easy to find and connect with the ball. I just focused on hitting high, and wherever it was open I just hit it there."
"
___________________________________________________________________________________________

Box score -

17 is Ana Burillovic. She arrived late because she was playing with the Croation National Team for her age group. She didn't go on the summer tour but the Buffs did meet up with her in Croatia and had dinner to start to get to know her.

. I saw the play. They took her off the court and she didn't return to the sidelines for a long time.

I wonder about the concussion. While it makes sense, she has played briefly in each match and the medical staff usually doesn't allow them to play at all.

We definitely need her for Thursday.

. I saw the play. They took her off the court and she didn't return to the sidelines for a long time.

I wonder about the concussion. While it makes sense, she has played briefly in each match and the medical staff usually doesn't allow them to play at all.

We definitely need her for Thursday.
In early matches I saw she had like a shoulder harness on while on the bench. I wonder if she tweaked her shoulder during the summer and it is bothering her. Its a guess but I seen her wear it a couple of times

I just hope she's ready to go for the weekend or the coaching staff has figured out a better way to cover her position.

I am not expecting a miracle on Sunday against Stanford but they can beat Utah.

Back