What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Matches Thread- VOLLEYBALL opens its season hosting UNLV (Friday, 8/25/23, 7:00 PM MT), Campbell (Sat. @ 6:00 PM) & North Texas (Sunday, Noon MT)

Due to the prior match, which had Campbell giving UNLV all it could handle (Campbell won the 3rd set 25-19 and forced UNLV to win the 2nd and 4th sets at 30-28 and 29-27, respectively), today's Buff match is just beginning now.

Great fight by the Buffs as the Buffs overcome and early 5 point deficit and then seize control of the 1st set with a LONG (~7 point?) Tabron service run to go up 1-0 by a 25-18 score.

Phew - The Buffs had a smaller but solid 3 point lead as late as 19-16, but then No. Texas closes it up to 20-19. A CU timeout provides dividends as they go up 24-20, but then give up 3 straight before going up 2-0 after a 25-23 2nd set. (I believe live stats showed 24 all for a little bit, so the Buffs may have won rhe set on a coach's challenge?)

best match of the season so far. UNT has some players. I think their lack of size hurt them but CU played much better and I thought Morgan Riddle had a great game at Libero. When this teams handles the ball they can be a very dangerous team.

Can't EVER complain about a .417 hitting % (which also indicates the passing and digging had to have been solid to great)!
(I was watching the soccer, so didn't get to watch this match.)

Media after today's win and (by tiebreaker) tournament win.

Direct link to article - https://cubuffs.com/news/2023/8/27/volleyball-colorado-takes-buffs-invitational-title.aspx

"
BOULDER - After dropping its first match of the season on Friday, the Colorado women's volleyball team didn't lose a single set the rest of the weekend to bring home the Buffs Invitational title. The Buffaloes took care of business against North Texas sweeping the Mean Green 3-0 (25-18, 25-23, 25-19) here Sunday afternoon.

North Texas (2-1) came into the match today without a loss on its record, but Colorado (2-1) changed that behind a strong offensive performance. Three Buffaloes hit over .400 in the match while CU outhit the Mean Green .417 to .297.

Taylor Simpson's delivery was on point today as she racked up a total of 42 assists to average 14.0 per set. Simpson recorded 103 assists while committing just three errors over the course of the weekend as she earned Buffs Invitational All-Tournament team honors.

Lexi Hadrych, Alexia Kuehl and Maya Tabron all landed in the double digit column for kills this afternoon. Hadrych, the tournament's Most Valuable Player, led all players with 15 kills. Kuehl's 10 kills came with a .562 hitting percentage while Tabron's 10 kills came with a .429 attack percentage. There wasn't much of a defensive presence at the net here today as both teams combined for just three blocks.

In each set, the Buffaloes were able to shut down North Texas when short scoring runs made by the Mean Green threatened a comeback. Timeouts called by head coach Jesse Mahoney helped Colorado to settle down and regroup when it needed it most.

Colorado women's volleyball will travel to Greeley to play its first away game of the season against the Northern Colorado Bears on Thursday, August 31st at 6 p.m. MT.

Buffs Invitational All-Tournament Team

Isabel Martin - UNLV
McKenna Sciacca - Campbell
Treysunna Rusch, Aryn Johnson - North Texas
Taylor Simpson, Skyy Howard - Colorado

Buffs Invitational Tournament MVP

Lexi Hadrych - Colorado

QUOTES
Head Coach Jesse Mahoney

Opening Statement
"That is a really good team. They're going to do a really nice job in their conference. They're well coached and they've got really nice athletes. I was happiest with the fact that I didn't feel like we played well Friday, but we got better Saturday, and this was our best match of the year. We're trending in the right direction, making little adjustments and dialing in. We hit .417 against a really good team. That says a lot, but we let them hit around .280, so we got to get a little bit better defensively. I thought we left a lot of blocks on the table, as always, but it was an impressive offensive performance by this team, so I'm excited for it."

On What's Next
"Mondays are good days because we get to rest and recover, especially after playing three matches. We'll get some good film study. This team prides itself on that, and we'll really know what we're up against on Thursday. We still have some battles at some positions. We still have to compete on Tuesday and Wednesday. I think more than anything, we're still getting comfortable with what we do and how we do it. When we do that, we can be really good."
"
_______________________________________________________________________________________

Box score - https://cubuffs.com/sports/womens-volleyball/stats/2023/north-texas/boxscore/16421

If I recall correctly, three teams had 2-1 records and the Flying Camels were 0-3. So were the Buffs the champions because they were the host?

Nice win yesterday. I couldn't play for the Mean Green because of their ugly green unis. Most teams that wear green, don't wear that shade of green.

Who am I kidding? No volleyball team would ever have wanted me to play on their team. :LOL:

If I recall correctly, three teams had 2-1 records and the Flying Camels were 0-3. So were the Buffs the champions because they were the host?

Nice win yesterday. I couldn't play for the Mean Green because of their ugly green unis. Most teams that wear green, don't wear that shade of green.

Who am I kidding? No volleyball team would ever have wanted me to play on their team. :LOL:
I think won the ship because they had the least amount of losses. They lost 3 games while the Mean Green and UNLV lost more

Believe CU were named champions based on a tie breaker of sets won.?. Or maybe set winning %? (CU won 1 set in their UNLV loss while the other 2-1 schools got swept in their losses. Or, if set winning %, the Buffs would have also aided by sweeping the Flying Camels, while the later won 2 sets vs. N Texas and 1 vs. UNLV.)

Last edited:

Great to see.

I firmly believe that court sports (MBB, WBB, WVB) can generate enough revenue for them to be revenue neutral or even profitable as a group. Winning and attendance are the two main drivers for making that a reality.

The student section was full because it was part of the freshman orientation activities. They were being taught the cheers, the Fight Song, etc.

That number of students has never been to a volleyball match and probably will only draw like that if it's part of orientation.

Lots of the volleyball schools in the country do have active student sections.

Neither volleyball or women's basketball have ever had a strong following with students. I hope that changes.

Back in the good old days of the Shelley Sheetz teams with sell outs, women's basketball was either revenue neutral or revenue producing.

Last edited:
Back