What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MBB End of Season Press Conference.

Really interested in this off-season and next year for a few reasons. If we have the attrition, I hope we can bring in a game-ready big (no beef with the Walton signing, but don't want to see him on the floor next year).

If we don't get that big for next year, tad will be forced into small ball in a way he hasn't been in the past. Sure, Dre was undersized, but with his production, he might as well have been 6-10. Living up to Tad's maxim of controlling the glass, I think, means we'll see more of king and XJ on the court together should we be stuck in the small ball scenario. If king improves his ball handling/decision making, I like that.

And as a former SID in D2 country, can't tell you how eager I am to see what White can do. I've seen top shelf DII teams( dunlap's metro squads) but nothing even remotely close to the individual numbers White put up at uccs. My personal, very unqualified opinion, is there are quite a few guys with D1 skill sets floating around d2 who either lack the height or athleticism to make that jump. Want to see what the total package might look like.

Absolutely on Walton. That is not a signing for instant gratification. That is taking a risk that an athletic 7 footer with a soft touch can blossom into a force if given the right support to get past the knee injuries that derailed his HS career. But for 2016-17, Walton isn't someone I would expect to see in the mix.

There was some talk either here or on buff stampede about prep school for Walton but I'd rather see a redshirt so those knees can get a little more TLC.

There was some talk either here or on buff stampede about prep school for Walton but I'd rather see a redshirt so those knees can get a little more TLC.

The only way Walton goes prep school is if Tad has a big ready to fill that spot. I think he would also like to see Walton rehab the knee on the bench, with the CU staff, if he can make it work.

The "talk" was speculation by other fans just like is happening on this board. The only acknowledgement I saw from anyone was Adam in response to a question about possibly grayshirting Walton -- to which Adam simply explained that basketball doesn't grayshirt but uses prep school for that purpose.

With Deleon Brown, the prep year was announced in October ahead of him signing. He was young for his grade. It would be very weird to announce a prep year in April. Besides, we want Walton to be in CU's nutrition, conditioning and rehab program -- not on his own at some prep school.

I expect Dallas Walton to sign his LOI in a couple weeks and then be here in June to start his CU career.

The "talk" was speculation by other fans just like is happening on this board. The only acknowledgement I saw from anyone was Adam in response to a question about possibly grayshirting Walton -- to which Adam simply explained that basketball doesn't grayshirt but uses prep school for that purpose.

With Deleon Brown, the prep year was announced in October ahead of him signing. He was young for his grade. It would be very weird to announce a prep year in April. Besides, we want Walton to be in CU's nutrition, conditioning and rehab program -- not on his own at some prep school.

I expect Dallas Walton to sign his LOI in a couple weeks and then be here in June to start his CU career.

Didn't mean to imply anything other than fan speculation about prep school. Regardless, looking forward to Walton. Think he can be at the very least a poor man's jelly.

GK's rebounding improved by leaps and bounds (nyuk nyuk) towards the end of the year. That goes a long way towards effective small(ish) ball.

GK's rebounding improved by leaps and bounds (nyuk nyuk) towards the end of the year. That goes a long way towards effective small(ish) ball.

What is crazy for GK is that it was 100% mental. He just flipped the switch and started dominating on the glass. He can do just about anything, has to WANT to.

Until the last game anyway, when he turtled

He was getting worked on both sides of the floor for sure. One thing Tad said yesterday is he has to learn how to finish through contact. Put Collier on that list to. What we can't have next season is disappearing acts during physical play.

Great news on Guz but that sucks about tre, I always loved his game and thought he needed more minutes.

Tre lit it up a few times. I wondered if there was some conflict there or something because there were games he was on fire, and did not get clutch time minutes

George King. Last man standing of that recruiting class.

I'm sad about Fletch leaving. Good character guy for this team and when he was on he was a great contributor. This however is an opportunity to upgrade the recruiting for two more spots. I will follow Fletch's senior year wherever he goes.

I completely agree that Tre was underutilized. Seems like he would be playing well, keeping us in games, and then we'd take him out.

I completely agree that Tre was underutilized. Seems like he would be playing well, keeping us in games, and then we'd take him out.
Apparently he Had troubles defensively and boxing out which is going to get you a seat on the bench with Boyle.

I'll root for Fletch wherever he lands.

I think he saw a tough spot for him next year. Reduced minutes with XJ back and White entering the mix. If he had stayed, his best option was probably to redshirt in hopes of starting is '17-'18. I was always a fan of his and I appreciate why he would decide to transfer.

Apparently he Had troubles defensively and boxing out which is going to get you a seat on the bench with Boyle.

Source? I'm not debating that it's not true, but to me, his struggles were more on offense.

I feel like of all the players on last year's team, Tre had the most potential to go to the NBA. I'm not saying he will, but he can stroke it and he's a solid enough of an athlete. He just isn't aggressive enough on offense, but he has all the tools to be a complete player. I was hoping he would be a great glue guy for our team next year, providing some key perimeter defense. This really sucks. A friend texted saying the rumors are that he is joining Billups at DU.

Wonder what his conversation with Boyle was like. I imagine that White cutting into his minutes may have had something to do with this...hopefully it means that White is going to be a step above Tre in all manners.

Source? I'm not debating that it's not true, but to me, his struggles were more on offense.

I feel like of all the players on last year's team, Tre had the most potential to go to the NBA. I'm not saying he will, but he can stroke it and he's a solid enough of an athlete. He just isn't aggressive enough on offense, but he has all the tools to be a complete player. I was hoping he would be a great glue guy for our team next year, providing some key perimeter defense. This really sucks. A friend texted saying the rumors are that he is joining Billups at DU.

Wonder what his conversation with Boyle was like. I imagine that White cutting into his minutes may have had something to do with this...hopefully it means that White is going to be a step above Tre in all manners.
It's sort of the only real explanation. He would get taken out after hitting a couple shots in a row so it wasn't the offense most of the time. Honestly him not being that aggressive is what I loved about his game. He never forced anything and he didn't turn the ball over a ton it seemed. He just let things come to him. The issue is he has all the tools to be a great defensive player and it never really worked out. I don't think there is any question he would have started this year if he took that defensive challenge to heart.

Super bummed about Tre but I think it was more about consistency with him than anything. I remember him & Tad talking about how Tad was challenging him to step up last month because he was going through a lull.

If he was willing to sit out then he could've just as easily done that here & then XJ, White, & Fortune would be gone. I hope he finds his best fit. Good luck to you Tre.

It's sort of the only real explanation. He would get taken out after hitting a couple shots in a row so it wasn't the offense most of the time. Honestly him not being that aggressive is what I loved about his game. He never forced anything and he didn't turn the ball over a ton it seemed. He just let things come to him. The issue is he has all the tools to be a great defensive player and it never really worked out. I don't think there is any question he would have started this year if he took that defensive challenge to heart.

But do you really think that he struggled on defense? I agree with you about the timing of his substitutions, as I wished Boyle would let him stay on the court longer sometimes. Like you, I enjoyed how he let the game come to him, but I do think he could have been more aggressive, cutting more, demanding the ball more, etc.

I did not see him struggling on defense. I thought he was pretty good - not a perimeter stopper, but still good. I will admit that I don't recall him being a good rebounder or paying attention to his boxing out, so I guess you could have a point there. I did think his defense though was good enough to stay on the court.

But do you really think that he struggled on defense? I agree with you about the timing of his substitutions, as I wished Boyle would let him stay on the court longer sometimes. Like you, I enjoyed how he let the game come to him, but I do think he could have been more aggressive, cutting more, demanding the ball more, etc.

I did not see him struggling on defense. I thought he was pretty good - not a perimeter stopper, but still good. I will admit that I don't recall him being a good rebounder or paying attention to his boxing out, so I guess you could have a point there. I did think his defense though was good enough to stay on the court.
For some reason I just always think of fletch appearing to play good defense but guards still made shots over him. It's hard to blame it on him because it never looked like effort or technique but it seems like he let up baskets quite a bit. Not sure though, others would know better.

His minutes were reduced this year with King and Fortune coming in. Add in White, minutes are reduced further. He probably saw the writing on the wall, as I imagine Hopkins did the year before going up against King & Fortune in practice.

Tre'shaun had more defensive lapses on tape per minute than anyone on the team from an assignment stand point. He also was constantly out of position coming out of timeouts. During the UA game in the P12 Tournament, he put together one of the worst defensive performances (assignment based) that I've seen out of a Boyle guy.

With that said, kid found his confidence as a jump shooter, never got in trouble, was a really positive member of the community, and was absolutely what you want out of a 100-150 guy coming out of high school.

FWIW, with no inside info, it really sounds to me like Tre took one for the team. Certainly, with White aboard next season, his role is going to be diminished. But he is a three year contributor on a tourney caliber program and he could continue/finish a world-class education at this institution for free and be a solid contributor to the program for another season.

Instead, he will likely be a solid contributor to a lesser program and get his degree elsewhere. He will not likely be a star or add to his value as a professional wherever he goes. He will be a solid player and will be respected by his teammates, coaches and fans for his to contribution and effort to his team.

The easy road would be to Stalzer his final season. I liken his departure to Jeremy Adams. Mad respect for a great Buff who put the program's interest above his own. Thanks, Tre.

FWIW, with no inside info, it really sounds to me like Tre took one for the team. Certainly, with White aboard next season, his role is going to be diminished. But he is a three year contributor on a tourney caliber program and he could continue/finish a world-class education at this institution for free and be a solid contributor to the program for another season.

Instead, he will likely be a solid contributor to a lesser program and get his degree elsewhere. He will not likely be a star or add to his value as a professional wherever he goes. He will be a solid player and will be respected by his teammates, coaches and fans for his to contribution and effort to his team.

The easy road would be to Stalzer his final season. I liken his departure to Jeremy Adams. Mad respect for a great Buff who put the program's interest above his own. Thanks, Tre.

So when guys transfer, it's because they're selfless, basketball saints who don't want to hold the program back. When they don't, it's because they're selfish.

Last edited:
Back