What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MBB Game Thread: Buffs vs. The Dawgs

Yeah, I'm greatly concerned about Yaz. I know I was more down on him than most this off-season, but he's below even my expectations. I thought he'd be a solid P12 backup PG. Now I'm not sure he's even worthy of getting minutes.

Plus side - this year's freshman class is legit. Peters is finding his groove. I'm a fan of Siewart (and even though he sucks defensively, he's shown enough on offense to give me hope). And Brown is a perfect 3 & D guy. Haven't heard anything about Walton, but I've always viewed him as free money. If he works out, great. If he doesn't, medical redshirt. Worth the risk. Add in next year's recruiting class and there's a nice little core. Find a stud PG in '18 and that's a team that could make some noise in 2 years.

Did anyone kind of catch on to some of the headlines following this game? It just seems like there were excuses made for Wash given the fact that Fultz was out, and very little mention of CU probably being even more short-handed.
Say what you want about XJ and Wes but the Buffs are probably a bit better with them in there. Especially of course within the post. Plus they were without D Brown.

The left-handed pass by Dom to Siewart was a thing of beauty ... and the latter knew what to with it, putting up a short jumper for two. Unlike some of our reserve big men in the past who seemed to be shocked at getting such a great pass ... the one I dubbed "Hands of Stone" a few years ago comes to mind.

The left-handed pass by Dom to Siewart was a thing of beauty ... and the latter knew what to with it, putting up a short jumper for two. Unlike some of our reserve big men in the past who seemed to be shocked at getting such a great pass ... the one I dubbed "Hands of Stone" a few years ago comes to mind.

I had to do a double take on that to make sure it was Collier who made the pass. He has been playing well lately. Good to see it!

The zone offense with either King or White at the free throw line is very good.
Both can turn and face and hit the jumper.
Lucas is a little hesitant but he is a freshman and will develop.
Also White can dump down to Tory/Wes/XJ in the low block.

8 turnovers
Shot over 50% from the field

As said here some real bright spots during the game. Yes, dumb clumsy turnovers that had Tad spinning in place. But also some good effort. Siewert showing a nice jumper. King being aggressive. Dom solid, White making us stand up! Tory Miller, if he starts making all the close-in shots, he gets +6-10 points a game!
Had to laugh at the end when the security lined up on the student end of the floor. The security personnel to student ratio appeared to be 1-1!

Yes it was. That dude is a special player.

They're sloppy and make a lot of mistakes, but can live with it as this team is playing hard right now. We've had some #tadball sightings lately.
3 out of last 5 games have had less than 10 turnovers. Definitely getting less sloppy.

It's frustrating to think how different this season would look right now if they had pulled out just two of those first 7 Pac12 games.

The 3 guard rotation of Collier, Peters, and White is playing well now.
Adding Brown reduces minutes from the above 3.
King is playing real well and his shot is returning.
He dominated the glass chasing down rebounds on the offensive end.

Wasnt perfect but you have to love the effort.

Doesn't have to. Eliminates Thomas and Fortune minutes, as I stated.

It looks like some of the young guys are stepping up and taking more responsibility on both ends of the floor. As mentioned earlier Tad stated that Peters was still sick but it didn't seem to impact his effort level. I don't have a problem with mistakes when they are made due to effort, better to be trying to hard than not giving it enough.

Seems that as the role of some of the seniors has been reduced the younger guys have been willing to take over with White leading. I'd love to have him back for one more year but this team could be better next year than we expect.

When King plays within the offense and actually tries on D he's phenomenal. It just doesn't always happen.

He definitely looks more relaxed. Especially his jumper, not rushing it anymore.

Yeah, I'm greatly concerned about Yaz. I know I was more down on him than most this off-season, but he's below even my expectations. I thought he'd be a solid P12 backup PG. Now I'm not sure he's even worthy of getting minutes.

Plus side - this year's freshman class is legit. Peters is finding his groove. I'm a fan of Siewart (and even though he sucks defensively, he's shown enough on offense to give me hope). And Brown is a perfect 3 & D guy. Haven't heard anything about Walton, but I've always viewed him as free money. If he works out, great. If he doesn't, medical redshirt. Worth the risk. Add in next year's recruiting class and there's a nice little core. Find a stud PG in '18 and that's a team that could make some noise in 2 years.

Next years team, I think, will be a team not many expect big things from, but the results may differ. They'll have good Senior players and leadership. A Junior in Namon Wright (transfer from Mizzou) who will have an impact. Three developing Sophomores all with a good year of experience . Then of course the incoming Freshman. Schwartz should be ready to make an impact right away, at least. We'll see about Bay and Battey.

Dallas Walton
I am interested to see his transition. He's had a year now to rehab further, and build bulk and strength, and confidence around the knee. He was once, early in his HS career being talked about as a future high level DI prospect. A Top 100 4-star recruit possibly. All before the two knee injuries. He was at that time only 6'9" or 6'10". A shot blocker. A power guy who could move but also step out and hit the jumper.
I see and hear folks talking about him, but only on occasion and not really with much excitement. This kid still possesses great power skills, good shot blocking and defensive capabilities, and is a proven shooter from mid to long range. I understand the knee injuries and brace have slowed him some. We'll likely never know what his A+ game would have looked like, but CU is still potentially working with a very strong post player. One who might still be very dominant the next four years.

Next years team, I think, will be a team not many expect big things from, but the results may differ. They'll have good Senior players and leadership. A Junior in Namon Wright (transfer from Mizzou) who will have an impact. Three developing Sophomores all with a good year of experience . Then of course the incoming Freshman. Schwartz should be ready to make an impact right away, at least. We'll see about Bay and Battey.

Dallas Walton
I am interested to see his transition. He's had a year now to rehab further, and build bulk and strength, and confidence around the knee. He was once, early in his HS career being talked about as a future high level DI prospect. A Top 100 4-star recruit possibly. All before the two knee injuries. He was at that time only 6'9" or 6'10". A shot blocker. A power guy who could move but also step out and hit the jumper.
I see and hear folks talking about him, but only on occasion and not really with much excitement. This kid still possesses great power skills, good shot blocking and defensive capabilities, and is a proven shooter from mid to long range. I understand the knee injuries and brace have slowed him some. We'll likely never know what his A+ game would have looked like, but CU is still potentially working with a very strong post player. One who might still be very dominant the next four years.

Being without Wes did illustrate the questions next years team will need to answer up front.

Miller is a known quantity.

The development of Siewert will be key; he's a tweener right now, but if bulks up a bit or plays more aggressively inside that could be a game changer.

As you pointed out, Walton has a huge ceiling, but between injuries and experience the floor is just as drastically low.

It will be interesting to see what Tad decides to do with Battey, I could see him contributing right away too.

Also, is Alexander Strating still around?

Great win by Buffs. I must say though...I thought Washington's 2-3 zone was one of the most pathetic things I've seen. I'm glad we took advantage of it - we clearly had a plan and knew what to do. King and Siewart stood out to me last night. I'm not the biggest King fan, but he has game. Last night, he played like a man and a good teammate. Siewart's potential is exciting on offense, although, I also thought AK had some promise after last year...

Dallas Walton

Coe - great to see you on these boards again, and hope you're doing well. I think Battey needs to play next season, and I'm hoping he's ready for the challenge.

Main reason for quoting your post aside from saying hi though, is where are you seeing Walton's power skills!? I watched a lot of game highlights after he committed, because I wasn't too big a fan. After seeing his highlights, I thought he was a fine prospect and risk to take, but I did NOT see any power. I wasn't expecting to either based on his weight. He could become a serviceable big imo, but I have to disagree with "power" and "strong" from what we've seen so far in HS.

Regarding Walton, I saw more of a finesse player. What excited me is the potential you've got when you find a legit 7 footer who is actually able to play with finesse and has the frame to put on some muscle to deny deep post ups.

There are so few guys that height who are also good basketball players these days.

Coe - great to see you on these boards again, and hope you're doing well. I think Battey needs to play next season, and I'm hoping he's ready for the challenge.

Main reason for quoting your post aside from saying hi though, is where are you seeing Walton's power skills!? I watched a lot of game highlights after he committed, because I wasn't too big a fan. After seeing his highlights, I thought he was a fine prospect and risk to take, but I did NOT see any power. I wasn't expecting to either based on his weight. He could become a serviceable big imo, but I have to disagree with "power" and "strong" from what we've seen so far in HS.

Hey man! I am doing well, thank you. I hope the same for you my friend.

I wasn't necessarily referring to his "power" skills as of what we all saw at A-West his Sr year in HS, and I wasn't necessarily referring to a big body either. Clearly he had slowed a lot during his senior year and and was very apprehensive on that knee, so if folks only watched his Sr videos, when he was at A-West, he did look slow and like a raw talent/finesse player with a long way to go. No, what I was referring to before was "prior to his two knee injuries". There were some videos circling on YouTube, back in 2015, that showed him playing ball in 2013 and 2014 at Ralston Valley HS, and some summer ball. He was quick, explosive off the dribble, and brimming with confidence. He was blocking shots high off the glass, and it showed him dribbling and going right over people to throw down constantly, with authority. I'm not kidding it was pretty impressive! If you happened to see these few videos, maybe you have I don't know, you'd know exactly what I was talking about.

All I was attempting to say is that those skills from early on are obviously still embedded there. His want and his desire is obviously to play like that once again, and perhaps with more and more confidence, more time away from the injuries, and added strength around his knee, he can start getting back to carrying that kind of confidence again. Personally what I saw -back then, at that time- was a 6'8" or 6'9" multi-tool player who I thought was a destined to be playing future ball at Kansas, Arizona, or Florida ... I believe three schools who were recruiting him way early on, but obviously backed off completely following the knee injuries.

Last edited:
Why are people still posting in this thread? Did you not catch the Buffs won this game?

I have it on good authority that we are bad fans and only dwell on the losses.

Back