What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MBB GAME THREAD - CU @ Stanford | Jan 26th @6pm | FS1

I’m going to die on this hill, but the problem is not the offense. You can’t give up 70%+ shooting defensively. And that’s where Stanford is in the second half.
You can die on that hill all you want. I agree, giving up 70% shooting on defense is horrible, but teams will get hot during a game. Overall, Stanfords' line was straight up average: 55.1% from the floor, 35.0% from three, and 87.5% from the line. But, it's not as if shooting 40.6% from the floor, 18.8% from three, and 53.8% from the line is a winning formula. That's pathetic and a losing line 90+% of the time.

Last edited:
You can die on that hill all you want. I agree, giving up 70% shooting on defense is horrible, but teams will get hot during a game. Overall, Stanfords' line was straight up average: 55.1% from the floor, 35.0% from three, and 87.5% from the line. But, it's not as if shooting 40.6% from the floor, 18.8% from three, and 53.8% from the line is a winning formula. That's pathetic and a losing line 90+% of the time.

Respectfully, I think you’re dead wrong. First, 55% from the field is not average. Currently, Oregon state leads the conference in fg % at 47% right now. The 3 point number is more in line with conference averages. FT defense is irrelevant.

The offense was ok tonight. Not good. But ok enough to win. Too many missed bunnies, and they didn’t make shots from behind the arc, but that happens. But you can always win games by getting stops. They were getting stops in the first half. Stanford didn’t “get hot”, they got layups and dunks. Getting stops leads to easier offense too. I know everyone in here hates Tad now, but he said exactly the same thing after the game. You can’t win games by not getting stops.

Respectfully, I think you’re dead wrong. First, 55% from the field is not average. Currently, Oregon state leads the conference in fg % at 47% right now. The 3 point number is more in line with conference averages. FT defense is irrelevant.

The offense was ok tonight. Not good. But ok enough to win. Too many missed bunnies, and they didn’t make shots from behind the arc, but that happens. But you can always win games by getting stops. They were getting stops in the first half. Stanford didn’t “get hot”, they got layups and dunks. Getting stops leads to easier offense too. I know everyone in here hates Tad now, but he said exactly the same thing after the game. You can’t win games by not getting stops.

The offense in the first half was good enough to win, in the second it wasn't and it contributed to the defensive problems. The defense in the first half was good enough but certainly wasn't in the second.

My problem with both the offense and defense was that when things went back they didn't adjust and fix things. Yes teams will get hot, we let them stay hot for most of the half, Stanford should not have been 55% for the game and if we had adjusted defensively they wouldn't have been.

Same thing happens on offense, teams hit cold spells. My problem is that for the Buffs under Tad those cold spells tend to last much longer than they do with other teams. We don't have an answer to get ourselves restarted.

In both those areas we were the same as far too many games, especially on the road, have been under Tad.

The offense in the first half was good enough to win, in the second it wasn't and it contributed to the defensive problems. The defense in the first half was good enough but certainly wasn't in the second.

My problem with both the offense and defense was that when things went back they didn't adjust and fix things. Yes teams will get hot, we let them stay hot for most of the half, Stanford should not have been 55% for the game and if we had adjusted defensively they wouldn't have been.

Same thing happens on offense, teams hit cold spells. My problem is that for the Buffs under Tad those cold spells tend to last much longer than they do with other teams. We don't have an answer to get ourselves restarted.

In both those areas we were the same as far too many games, especially on the road, have been under Tad.
Tad is a very average game day coach.

We lost tonight because the defense was atrocious in the 2nd half and Tyler Bey refused to go up strong when at the rim. Had to have 5 point blank misses in the 2nd half alone.

True, 55% is above average, but it's not too much above average, and it's definitely beatable on a good night. Again, I said I agreed with you about the defense. Stops are important, and the current defense at times is pathetic. However, I respectfully think you're dead wrong to solely focus on the defense and say that the problem isn't the offense. You can't win games by not outscoring the other team.
SxprH.gif

Last edited:
Hmmm, maybe we're just not good on either end of the floor?

But I put more of the blame on the offense. Long scoring droughts are a distinct hallmark of Tad teams, that's indisputable, especially down the stretch. But as I've said repeatedly, until we fix the shooting guard situation, we'll never be more than average no matter how good the defense is ... Gatling is shooting 34% overall and 31% from 3. That just ain't gonna get it done. Ski was the last effective #2 we've had ... since then a long string of busts: Namon, Fortune, Hopkins, Talton, Fletcher, Peters, Brown, Collier (although he finally became a solid spot-up shooter when left open.)

Is there any other P12 program that can have that kind of futility at #2 guard for 4-5 years?

Back