What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

McCartney Wants to Coach in Boulder Again

Maddog is going to need a job. I wonder if Mac has already contacted him.

I also know that Simmons is living in the Denver area. There was a article a couple years back saying he's not retiring. Just looking at all his options.

Here is my issue Valdez: if I am to believe Mac supporters, one of the reasons he should get the job is because he knows what a great coaching staff looks like. He has an extensive coaching tree and he is going to go with those guys as four of his assistants?

Here is my issue Valdez: if I am to believe Mac supporters, one of the reasons he should get the job is because he knows what a great coaching staff looks like. He has an extensive coaching tree and he is going to go with those guys as four of his assistants?

I hear Les Miles will be coaching the oline so thats pretty good.

Buffs or Mac guys or not, I'm having a hard time getting real excited to be hiring a staff of guys *on principle as Buffs or from the Mac tree*, many who have almost no "market" demand from other NCAA, BCS conference teams. To me, this doesn't sound like a recipe for success.

just had to say it out loud. leery of this. i could be wrong, but i don't think the "all Buffs" approach screams of destined success. Why don't other teams do this? Bama, Texas, Ohio State? seems a bit cloistered. romantic, Buffs take on the world, but i'm having a hard time with it.

Buffs or Mac guys or not, I'm having a hard time getting real excited to be hiring a staff of guys *on principle as Buffs or from the Mac tree*, many who have almost no "market" demand from other NCAA, BCS conference teams. To me, this doesn't sound like a recipe for success.

just had to say it out loud. leery of this. i could be wrong, but i don't think the "all Buffs" approach screams of destined success. Why don't other teams do this? Bama, Texas, Ohio State? seems a bit cloistered. romantic, Buffs take on the world, but i'm having a hard time with it.

I agree. I rather have Auburn's OC as coach than Mac. Mac hasn't been coaching in 16 years. that's a huge issue with me.

I agree. I rather have Auburn's OC as coach than Mac. Mac hasn't been coaching in 16 years. that's a huge issue with me.

I wouldn't be overwhelmed if Mac were hired, but I'd be okay with it. Still a lot of asst positions on that list to be filled.

I do not want one of the Auburn assistants, in any way, shape, or form. Too much going on down there right now.

I do not want one of the Auburn assistants, in any way, shape, or form. Too much going on down there right now.
Quick question, how would anything negative from the Cam deal follow Mahlzahn to Boulder, other than some bad press? Assuming he wants to be our next HC.

Compare McCartney's proposed staff with Bieniemy's proposed all former CU Buffs staff - I think McCartney's got an edge.

Can't really go wrong either way, but McCartney does have the "I've got 10 years head coaching experience" that Bieniemy doesn't have.

Compare McCartney's proposed staff with Bieniemy's proposed all former CU Buffs staff - I think McCartney's got an edge.

Can't really go wrong either way, but McCartney does have the "I've got 10 years head coaching experience" that Bieniemy doesn't have.
What staff's are you talking about? Scooter has told Mike Bohn who he's going to bring in?

Quick question, how would anything negative from the Cam deal follow Mahlzahn to Boulder, other than some bad press? Assuming he wants to be our next HC.

It's conjecture, but sec fan thinks Gus will stay one more year and wait for some better options. Of course, if Shannon has been fired at the U, then I could see him there. That immediately becomes the best open job.

It's conjecture, but sec fan thinks Gus will stay one more year and wait for some better options. Of course, if Shannon has been fired at the U, then I could see him there. That immediately becomes the best open job.

Miami is a bit overrated of a job IMO. The support is very fickle and their fans treat it like an NFL franchise.

Starting to see some smoke here and there that he may have declined an opportunity to interview for the job.

Miami is a bit overrated of a job IMO. The support is very fickle and their fans treat it like an NFL franchise.

Don't disagree regarding fans, but it's easy to recruit, the school is player friendly, and you really have to seriously f*** up to get arrested in Miami. Shannon has been massively underachieving with the talent there.

I haven't seen all of the Mac rumored staffs, but what I have seen hasn't scared me too much. Mike and Joe Barry would certainly make me pretty happy. Koy Detmer as QB coach wouldn't bother me too much, but is he even coaching? We really need a guy as QB coach that will be able to develop some good QBs in the future. Not sure we should be winging it on an unknown like Koy. He would probably bring Hagan back as RB coach, tough to fire him. Simmons would be a great AC imo, lots of experience. Tom McCartney doesn't do it for me as ST coach, we need good ST coaching after the Riddler had his hands on the players for 5 years.

I haven't seen all of the Mac rumored staffs, but what I have seen hasn't scared me too much. Mike and Joe Barry would certainly make me pretty happy. Koy Detmer as QB coach wouldn't bother me too much, but is he even coaching? We really need a guy as QB coach that will be able to develop some good QBs in the future. Not sure we should be winging it on an unknown like Koy. He would probably bring Hagan back as RB coach, tough to fire him. Simmons would be a great AC imo, lots of experience. Tom McCartney doesn't do it for me as ST coach, we need good ST coaching after the Riddler had his hands on the players for 5 years.

You'd figure all that time in Philly should have rubbed off on Koy. Last I hear, Koy has been a volunteer coach at a HS in Texas. His dad was a legendary coach down there, so you figure coaching has to be in the genes.

You'd figure all that time in Philly should have rubbed off on Koy. Last I hear, Koy has been a volunteer coach at a HS in Texas. His dad was a legendary coach down there, so you figure coaching has to be in the genes.

I'm not discounting his playing experiences, I'm just saying he doesn't have much of a background as a coach. I think he'd be a very good coach, but do we want more on the job training at CU? I've seen just about enough of it from the OC position, granted we're talking the lesser QB position. A lot will depend on the OC imo, if we get an experienced guy as OC that can help to develop QBs, then having an unknown like Koy around, who can use his experience to recruit as well as mentor, then great.

I'm not discounting his playing experiences, I'm just saying he doesn't have much of a background as a coach. I think he'd be a very good coach, but do we want more on the job training at CU? I've seen just about enough of it from the OC position, granted we're talking the lesser QB position. A lot will depend on the OC imo, if we get an experienced guy as OC that can help to develop QBs, then having an unknown like Koy around, who can use his experience to recruit as well as mentor, then great.
I know. Just sayin. :lol:

The second two on that list is where my problem lies. Two guys with zero experience on the college level. We're not even talking about big time BCS program college level, we're talking any college experience at all.

I went to a Fairview-Boulder HS game a couple of years back. I was on my way to the restroom when I noticed a fan pacing along the endzone gate on the east side. It was coach Mac pacing back and forth like he was actually on the sidelines. You guys should've seen the look on his face. I walked up to him and shook his hand, and thank him for all he's done for Colorado. Come on. It's coach Mac!!

I'm not saying Mac is the only guy for the job, but what I do know is Mac is not a stupid man. There have been a lot of folks on this board trying to make Mac out to be some kind of crazy old man. I still am not sure why people out there try to slam him. Sure he's been out of the game for almost two decades, but do you really believe he was sitting on his ass doing nothing and watching Matlock? I know the argument is that the game has passed him by, but if you've ever met the man, or have listened to him speak. You'd know he is just as sharp mentally as he was back in 1990. We wouldn't be settling on Mac if he came back. We'd be getting one hell of a coach back on our sidelines.

Sorry about the rant. I get a little worked up. :gobuffs:

Last edited:
To support V's point. Mac was installing a pass offense in the Big 8 back in 1990. That was blasphemy, in that time and place. He was a decade ahead of the conference in his mind. His mind is sharp and open, and not mired in the past. I don't think Mac's time away from the game is that damaging.

I'm sure he knows how to Tweet and how to text.

He's not my top choice, but to me, he makes a lot more sense as HC than Bieniemy.

Our teams since Mac have lacked leadership, discipline, motivation, and a championship work ethic. We've certainly had individuals who possess those traits, but as a team we have not consistently displayed those traits at a high level.

The HC needs to instill the team (including assistant coaches) with those traits. The coordinators and position coaches should be responsible for the execution of whatever scheme we use.

Hiring a HC based on his offensive or defensive scheme is not a good route, IMO. Eventually the character of the team gets put under fire and the leadership needs to be there through thick and thin.

Recruits respond to dynamic leadership, they want to become "better men" or "better players". This is why Paterno and Bowden were able to remain in the game so long at a high level. Beamer, Tressel, and Ferentz are the next examples of that. Tressel was an offensive position coach before becoming a HC at a lower level, he was never a coordinator. Kirk Ferentz is almost the same, a career O-line coach, with the exception of a 2-season stint as a DC at Worcester Academy. Urban Meyer was never a coordinator either. Same for Jim Harbaugh.

A dynamic leader as a HC does not necessarily have to be a long-time proven coordinator. In many instances that has backfired, and sometimes it works out (Beamer, Stoops, Mack Brown, Gary Pinkel, Jeff Tedford).

The point is that a good CEO doesn't need to know how to do everyone else's job better than they do. He just needs to know how to get you to do your job better.

Urban Meyer was never a coordinator either.

but Meyer had been at Ohio State and was a HC at Bowling Green before Utah and UF. all of which is significant "leadership" experience compared to EB or Embree, let's say. If EB had won 9-10 games a few years in a row at New Mexico State or Wyoming (off the top of my head) he'd be a lot more attractive to me as a HC than he is as an NFL position coach, regardless of where he played in college.

but Meyer had been at Ohio State and was a HC at Bowling Green before Utah and UF. all of which is significant "leadership" experience compared to EB or Embree, let's say. If EB had won 9-10 games a few years in a row at New Mexico State or Wyoming (off the top of my head) he'd be a lot more attractive to me as a HC than he is as an NFL position coach, regardless of where he played in college.

Certainly. Most of the guys I listed became HC's at lower level programs, but they never were coordinators. Many vocal people seem to feel that being a "BCS coordinator" is a must-have for our next HC, I disagree.

I wasn't making a case for EB or Embree with my general argument, I agree with the concern over them as possible HC's. But it isn't about them "calling a game" as many have mentioned, it is about "leading a program".

What my argument leads me to believe is that a guy like Brady Hoke should be taken much more seriously. He was a position coach for nearly 2 decades in college, then became a HC and has proven to be a winner at each stage of the game. Whether Minnesota, Michigan, or us gets him; I like what I see there.

Jerry Kill at Northern Illinois is another good example. The Gophers could get a steal if they go after him.

Back