What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mel Tucker announcement article

I know I’ll get skewered for this but ... I’m always amazed that people think that the quotes they read in press releases are actual words or ideas the person came up with themselves. 95% of that was someone in Plati’s world that came up with that. They likely ran it by Tucker and he might have added a few markups. But this stuff is highly orchestrated and not at all like sitting down with a subject and interviewing them.
As someone who writes these for press releases, I know exactly what you're saying. They're not written in a vacuum, though. Always try to capture what the person believes (with some corporate messaging emphasis) and just put that into better words than the subject could write on his/her own. Then they approve and offer some level of edits which could be virtually nothing or a whole lot of tweaking. But one thing that's 100% consistent is that no quote gets into a release attributed to someone unless they approve it and agree with it.

I know I’ll get skewered for this but ... I’m always amazed that people think that the quotes they read in press releases are actual words or ideas the person came up with themselves. 95% of that was someone in Plati’s world that came up with that. They likely ran it by Tucker and he might have added a few markups. But this stuff is highly orchestrated and not at all like sitting down with a subject and interviewing them.

What you say is most likely true in general, maybe/maybe not in particular in this case. Regardless, at the very least he has set the expectations for the fan base, and knows what he has signed up to do.

As someone who writes these for press releases, I know exactly what you're saying. They're not written in a vacuum, though. Always try to capture what the person believes (with some corporate messaging emphasis) and just put that into better words than the subject could write on his/her own. Then they approve and offer some level of edits which could be virtually nothing or a whole lot of tweaking. But one thing that's 100% consistent is that no quote gets into a release attributed to someone unless they approve it and agree with it.

Totally agree ... I'm not saying he doesn't 100% believe these things. I'm sure he's as on board and passionate as it sounds. But generally if you're looking to someone for inspirational words, you want their actual words .... not what was written for them and he agrees with. It's not unlike musicians ... which is more authentic: someone who writes and performs their own songs, or someone who performs someone else's songs. (If you like new country, don't answer this.)

You had to come on here and write a post explaining that? Its a press release.

**** you

"Nick Saban hired him three times for a reason; the guy's really good."
Great point RG...to be hired once by the GOAT is saying something...to be hired 3 times is off the chain!

the tone and tenor of that press release is exactly ****ing spot-on what we wanted. there's no bull**** level setting or effort to manage expectations-- that is a full-on shot across the bow of anyone who thinks we don't want to compete for national championships.

i honestly don't give a **** who wrote it-- i've written tons of them. the key is that the message that the COLLECTIVE powers that be, including RG and Coach Tucker, want to convey is **** ALL YOU ALL. WE ARE COMING TO TAKE YOUR ****ING LUNCH MONEY AND FAT LITTLE GIRL FRIENDS.

and, my friends, that is exactly the message that we want to convey. this is no ****ing rebuild. we are going for it.

amen.

the tone and tenor of that press release is exactly ****ing spot-on what we wanted. there's no bull**** level setting or effort to manage expectations-- that is a full-on shot across the bow of anyone who thinks we don't want to compete for national championships.

i honestly don't give a **** who wrote it-- i've written tons of them. the key is that the message that the COLLECTIVE powers that be, including RG and Coach Tucker, want to convey is **** ALL YOU ALL. WE ARE COMING TO TAKE YOUR ****ING LUNCH MONEY AND FAT LITTLE GIRL FRIENDS.

and, my friends, that is exactly the message that we want to convey. this is no ****ing rebuild. we are going for it.

amen.
I'm kind of attracted to you right now. :love:

amen.
Great post!!!!!

Nate Kreckman (who is my favorite radio host in the area) has been a bit of turd with this this afternoon. I always wonder if he harbors some bitterness since he does so much for the MWC

I don't understand their insistence that someone from a G5 program on the west coast would be a better fit than someone from a winning background. You can't keep trying the same hot G5 hire expecting different results.

I don't understand their insistence that someone from a G5 program on the west coast would be a better fit than someone from a winning background. You can't keep trying the same hot G5 hire expecting different results.

We've run that experiment twice... even someone arguing that side has to concede that those two tries didn't work, and it is time try something different.

We've run that experiment twice... even someone arguing that side has to concede that those two tries didn't work, and it is time try something different.
Plenty of them have worked as well. It's not the time for that here at Colorado, but great coaches have come from G5, from P5 coordinators and from failed NFL gigs. Some have worked out great and some have not worked at all.

I’m 22 and my heart is beating at unhealthy levels right now. You are god damn right Mel we are a sleeping giant. **** everybody. LFG

Edit: inB4 any health or weight jokes.

For some reason Nate Kreckman keeps pushing some rumor that Chev stays on as OC. Gary Barnett basically said 'Uhhhhh, I don't know anything about that, but usually it is better to just bring on your own people'
What’s Nate saying that’s being turdish?

Plenty of them have worked as well. It's not the time for that here at Colorado, but great coaches have come from G5, from P5 coordinators and from failed NFL gigs. Some have worked out great and some have not worked at all.
Yep. There's not one formula. There's a time for internal hires, too. Importing culture, expectations and recruiting attitude from an elite program is what it was time for at CU.

Back