What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mel Tucker - Head Coach University of Colorado (Not)

Status
Not open for further replies.
My initial concern was whether he would have adequate connections to assemble a good staff.

I don’t think that should be a concern. I’m surprised he hasn’t been made a head coach already by the looks of that resume. Maybe has had the opportunity but is waiting for the right job?

Definitely worth putting on the short list.

it looks like he'll have enough a coaching tree to go after some bad ass recruiters in our conference footprint, and, certainly, in texas.

if we can get that piece locked down, he'd be an interesting choice-- i do wonder about his offensive philosophy. this isn't uga or bama where we can line it up and smash the ball down the throats of our enemies with our superior weapons.

this isn't uga or bama where we can line it up and smash the ball down the throats of our enemies with our superior weapons.
Not yet, anyway.

If you were a highly talented high school kid that wanted to play smash-mouth football, would you say "no" to him?

I like this idea. A lot.

Yeah he would bring some much needed toughness. I'm in.

Great Defense > Great Offense. Always and forever. There isn't a Pac 12 offense that would score over 24 against UGA.

Bring a power offense somehow to compliment it.

I’ll take two!
akbJY1O.gif

I get that it’s still impressive, but most of them are from Georgia, including the two 5 stars. Closing on that talent is great, but also a task supported by the program and location.

And that's the main question. How would he translate to the Pac-12 in recruiting?

Seems like it would take a hell of a lot to get him out of SEC country.
Eh. A $3.5-$4m/year salary and HC position at a P5 program should be plenty unless he simply wants to wait for a bigger job in that geographical region. Remember that Bama OC McElwain and Georgia OC Bobo left the SEC for a middling G5 program. A HC opportunity is appealing regardless where it is.

I thank Ruckus for talking me off the ledge when we inevitably don't hire this guy. Justification obtained.

I thought you'd be all about Dino because of the Hawaii thing.
I mean, it's a positive. But I don't know enough about Dino to love him. Seems like a solid coach, but don't know enough to say more. But Tucker....

How do you mean?
Well, he doesn't seem to have that "it" factor. If you watch video of Lake vs. him, Lake just looks more like a HC to me, more X/O smarts and charisma. I could be wrong but that's what I see.

JMO YMMV

Georgia has been a 10+ win team for what, like 15 years? Along with top 5-15 recruiting classes. I have to assume most of their coordinators have similar recruiting records. Anyone willing to research?
I think you're right.

Well, he doesn't seem to have that "it" factor. If you watch video of Lake vs. him, Lake just looks more like a HC to me, more X/O smarts and charisma. I could be wrong but that's what I see.

JMO YMMV
He is willing to “rap” the defense to his players. If that doesn’t scream head coach, I don’t know what does.

Eh. A $3.5-$4m/year salary and HC position at a P5 program should be plenty unless he simply wants to wait for a bigger job in that geographical region. Remember that Bama OC McElwain and Georgia OC Bobo left the SEC for a middling G5 program. A HC opportunity is appealing regardless where it is.
Sure. Read in a few places that he is waiting for a SEC job. Who knows what he really wants though.

I’m not sure he’s tied to the SEC or that region.
He grew up in Cleveland and went to college in Wisconsin.

I’m not sure he’s tied to the SEC or that region.
He grew up in Cleveland and went to college in Wisconsin.
Yeah, like I said, who knows what he really wants. Just mentioning what I read. If he is as good as we think, he won't have to wait long for an SEC job.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back