What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mel Tucker - Head Coach University of Colorado (Not)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Honestly, I've heard name only with this guy before. I wouldn't be disappointed in the least if he's the man. Had Lake at the top spot, this guy is right there with him.

maybe he brings James Coley with him as OC? I think Chaney is the play caller OC, so perhaps he'd be down to run things himself.

Okay now I'm warming to this idea.....I'd want to keep Chev if we hire Tucker for sure thought-can't lose the Texas pipeline he's started, and I'd want an OC with him who can come up with something to hide the OL deficiency.

Last edited:
Interpret this how you guys want. A good friend of mine goes to Georgia and follows the football program closely. He told me Georgia fans down there are really worried about some reports linking Mel Tucker to Colorado. I really like the idea of Mel in black and gold. Then I checked out this Instagram Georgia fan page called DawgsonTop, sure enough they are freaking out down there. Maybe they know something we don't. But then again it could be nothing.

https://www.dawgnation.com/football/mel-tucker-head-coach-north-carolina-louisville-colorado

UGA is one SEC program that respects CU. We beat them here and they were very fortunate to beat us there. And that was during the Hawkins error.

If only our dumb players had properly executed that perfect defensive play call of double bear eagle, we would have swept and UGA fan knows this.

UGA is one SEC program that respects CU. We beat them here and they were very fortunate to beat us there. And that was during the Hawkins error.

If only our dumb players had properly executed that perfect defensive play call of double bear eagle, we would have swept and UGA fan knows this.
Didn’t we take Ralphie on the road trip to Athens also? That would account for some love as well.

Someone convince me we should be just as excited about Tucker as a possible HC with the vast majority of his recent experience being in the NFL and his 4 years in the college game having been at the most NFL-style programs in the country. He's intriguing to me, but would he be a guy who can take a middling college program with recruiting limitations to the next level?

Someone convince me we should be just as excited about Tucker as a possible HC with the vast majority of his recent experience being in the NFL and his 4 years in the college game having been at the most NFL-style programs in the country. He's intriguing to me, but would he be a guy who can take a middling college program with recruiting limitations to the next level?

Do you have the same concerns about Day?

Not really because he only spent 2 years as a QB coach in the NFL. Tucker spent 10 years in the NFL followed by a year at Bama and the last 3 at Georgia. That's literally 10 of his most recent 14 years in the profession spent at the NFL level. Day has spent 2 years total in the NFL.

Last edited:

I just think it is easier to recruit good offensive players to fit your system and score some points. Building a conference changing defense is tough because you need to be able to recruit the DL which the blue bloods have a firm grip on, such as Georgia. If you tell me someone like Tucker can come in and start bringing 4 star DL in then we might get somewhere.

I'll be fine welcoming Tucker aboard, as long as he does the right thing and shaves his head. It's not coming back. Just let it go, dude. Let it go.

Not really because he only spent 2 years a QB coach in the NFL. Tucker had 10 years in the NFL followed by a year at Bama and the last 3 at Georgia.

I get the concern about him only coaching for "haves" but to me, it boils down to credibility. Georgia is one of a few programs within striking distance of Bama. That matters if your goal is winning championships.

MM made a big deal about finding Patrick Willis and utilizing satellite camps as his recruiting strategy. I highly doubt Tucker is walking into a meeting with RG and doing the same. Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting.

I get the concern about him only coaching for "haves" but to me, it boils down to credibility. Georgia is one of a few programs within striking distance of Bama. That matters if your goal is winning championships.

MM made a big deal about finding Patrick Willis and utilizing satellite camps as his recruiting strategy. I highly doubt Tucker is walking into a meeting with RG and doing the same. Recruiting, recruiting, recruiting.
I agree, and I added a few things to my post. Mainly that 10 of his last 14 years coaching have been spent at the NFL level. If Tucker is 100% about recruiting and can hire a kick ass staff, I'm all aboard.

Something else I would add in Tucker's favor is the defensive staff at Georgia is young. Coordinating a defense with inexperienced assistants is not easy.

Of course, Kirby Smart plays a big role here as well. Regardless, Georgia is not holding on to a Bernardi clone because they "need an experienced voice in the room."

I just get concerned about hiring a guy solely on recruiting, especially at alabama, georgia, and 10 yrs in the NFL. Way different here.

I just don't think with our recruiting base you can the right type of players in to play that style of football. Georgia is within striking distance because Georgia has home grown talent and they can dip into Florida.

Just a gut feeling, but...
tenor.gif

What are we doing offensively if this is our guy? He's about as goofy a fit here as Schiano-spent a time of time in the NFL and then went straight to the SEC (is now in the East-the land of crappy quarterback play). I'd rather have Jim Leavitt over this guy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back