What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mel Tucker leaves CU for Michigan State

Media swarmed during the end of the Barnett era, but it was CU that put blood in the water with a series of disastrous PR blunders.

I personally believe a good AD is more important for success than any other position. A good AD can make a hiring mistake, but they don’t compound it and are willing to change. Mike Bohn was a terrible AD. Tharp wasn’t good either. Bill Marolt, however, was a badass.

On the flip side you've had guys like Saban transform the entire university and its image. I think there can be exceptions.

I suppose Tucker could have met with MSU Friday morning before heading to CA, although that would be inconsistent with the DFP report that came out Friday night that he was "set to interview".

Plus San Jose ain't exactly a world away from where I'd expect a 49ers employee to live.

I do wonder what the word "interview" means in this context anyway and what such an "interview" looks like.

They were in Denver (Cherry Hills) for the MBB game Thursday night and then CA on Friday afternoon/evening, so I imagine sometime Friday morning or early afternoon

I am having real trouble establishing a timeline here as I don't see where Tucker could've fit in "an interview". Maybe he took a meeting with them for an hour or so because he worked there and out of courtesy and respect for Dantonio, but I would expect "an interview" to last a little longer than that.

RG and MT handled it like big time football pros. It looks like it will take some time for a few of the fans to catch up.

These victory laps in this thread are so ****ing stupid.

First - it was entirely reasonable to be uneasy about MT interviewing after ONE season. That's not normal. Even if it were normal -- this program hasn't been made up of BIG TIME FOOTBALL PROS for the last couple decades, and has given fans absolutely no reason to give it the benefit of the doubt.

As much as I like RG and the direction of the program, we haven't been relevant in 20 ****ing years, so you can talk this big game about fans being irrational -- but it seems pretty ironic from my POV about who has the irrational outlook.

Rooneys article is downright stupid and unnecessary!!! Annoyed me just reading it. He starts by hypothesizing about who initiated what and about money. We will pay Tucker if and when we need to! Agreed that PAC 12 Network needs to pop, or please go ahead and sell a 49% stake in it while it is worth something! We can take the cash and make things happen.

That's a lot of work for Larry to do, and something hed probably **** up.

TBF, bailer has a substantial amount of booster money, loose academic standards, and is still in Texas.
Baylor also benefits from its geography, they are far enough away from Dallas and Austin to fly below the radar of media scrutiny. If Baylor was in Dallas proper, like SMU, they would be also be in the gutter for the foreseeable future.

Baylor also benefits from its geography, they are far enough away from Dallas and Austin to fly below the radar of media scrutiny. If Baylor was in Dallas proper, like SMU, they would be also be in the gutter for the foreseeable future.
Plus Baylor has a ****ing In and Out Burger off campus, bastards!!!

TBF, bailer has a substantial amount of booster money, loose academic standards, and is still in Texas.
It's nice to be able to have boosters make tax deductible donations to churches that then take a cut before they then give charitable support to the families & advisors of key recruits. Such a huge advantage for recruiting.

MSU's visit to Cincinnati was the last stop on a weekend trip around the country for Beekman and other athletic department officials. That included stops in Colorado to talk to University of Colorado coach Mel Tucker and San Jose to talk to 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh.

The board is expected to get its next briefing on the search Monday evening.

Contact David Jesse: 313-222-8851 or djesse@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter: @reporterdavidj

3:17 a.m. CST Feb. 11, 2020

These two paragraphs we're from an article linked to Reddit r/CFB about why Fickell turned down MSU. According to the Detroit Free Press MSU went to see HCMT.IMG_20200211_043348.jpg

Last edited:
MSU's visit to Cincinnati was the last stop on a weekend trip around the country for Beekman and other athletic department officials. That included stops in Colorado to talk to University of Colorado coach Mel Tucker and San Jose to talk to 49ers defensive coordinator Robert Saleh.

The board is expected to get its next briefing on the search Monday evening.

Contact David Jesse: 313-222-8851 or djesse@freepress.com. Follow him on Twitter: @reporterdavidj

3:17 a.m. CST Feb. 11, 2020

These two paragraphs we're from an article linked to Reddit r/CFB about why Fickell turned down MSU. According to the Detroit Free Press MSU went to see HCMT.

Not to beat a dead horse -- but did he or did he not interview? Nobody has confirmed nor denied -- and Mel Tucker being on the road is not evidence that he didn't interview.

I realize it's kind of a moot point now that he's made his public statement -- but it's not totally irrelevant, and it would change how I feel if he did in fact sit down for a formal interview. This would seem to suggest there was an interview.

Not to beat a dead horse -- but did he or did he not interview? Nobody has confirmed nor denied -- and Mel Tucker being on the road is not evidence that he didn't interview.

I realize it's kind of a moot point now that he's made his public statement -- but it's not totally irrelevant, and it would change how I feel if he did in fact sit down for a formal interview. This would seem to suggest there was an interview.

The report came out that he would interview while Mel was in SoCal. He then squashed the report via tweet, while still in SoCal. So either he left a booster's house, jumped on a plane to EL, interviewed, and returned to California in under 24 hours or he simply did not interview.

The report came out that he would interview while Mel was in SoCal. He then squashed the report via tweet, while still in SoCal. So either he left a booster's house, jumped on a plane to EL, interviewed, and returned to California in under 24 hours or he simply did not interview.
Pretty sure it was confirmed Tucker was never in Michigan. The current speculation is that MSU reps came to Colorado on Friday morning to interview him on their way to San Jose to supposedly interview Robert Salah. Tweets suggest he was in Denver Thursday night watching the Buffs MBB game at an event with RG, and then Twitter also suggests he was in SoCal sometime Friday afternoon/evening for all the Booster stuff.

The report of him being set to interview came out Friday night by the DFP, which would have been after the alleged stop by MSU reps in Colorado. None of it adds up, and nobody seems to know what actually happened outside of those in the know.

Per above, the Athletic reported the MSU AD came to Boulder Friday morning.

Per above, the Athletic reported the MSU AD came to Boulder Friday morning.
Assuming that report is true - of course they talked. You don't not talk to someone who flew halfway across the country just to meet with you for a few minutes.

Was it a formal "interview?" probably not.

But, realistically speaking, if you're a 1st year head coach, and a 1st year African-American head coach (who everyone knows don't get many chances), you do NOT decline a meeting with the AD of any power-conference school, especially when they come to you and fit into your schedule.

There's a right way to handle that situation, and by all reports, it looks like that is exactly what both RG and MT did.

[QUOTE="skibum, post: 2801719, member: 2797

There's a right way to handle that situation, and by all reports, it looks like that is exactly what both RG and MT did.
[/QUOTE]The ideal way is to not have the school or your agent leak it to the press when you are in the first year of your contract. No need to create doubt amongst your players unless there is an active negotiation taking place with your current employer.

Assuming that report is true - of course they talked. You don't not talk to someone who flew halfway across the country just to meet with you for a few minutes.

Was it a formal "interview?" probably not.

But, realistically speaking, if you're a 1st year head coach, and a 1st year African-American head coach (who everyone knows don't get many chances), you do NOT decline a meeting with the AD of any power-conference school, especially when they come to you and fit into your schedule.

But, but, I lost respect for Tucker for talking to them!

The ideal way is to not have the school or your agent leak it to the press when you are in the first year of your contract. No need to create doubt amongst your players unless there is an active negotiation taking place with your current employer.
Yep - you notice the leak did not occur at CU's end? Were it not for the unprofessionalism of someone on msu's end, no one would have ever heard about it.

Here is a picture of MSU's AD outside of Tucker's house Friday morning.

0*leekoJXpAC3ZEQxU.jpg

Back