What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Midnight Madness?

Midnight Madness?

• Yes. Give me basketball

Votes: 57 82.6%
  • No. I am too old and that is too late

Votes: 8 11.6%
  • I really like to answer questions

Votes: 4 5.8%

• Total voters
Even if they wanted to turn some profit from this event they could at least have free student admission like it is for most sporting events. I'm not sure why they wouldn't do it since it's basically free advertising to the CU community. Might have a boost in ticket sales after people see the potential of this years squad as well. Like others said it would be an easy way of attracting attendance by saying that a trip for two will be given away to Vegas for the Pac-12 tourney. I'm sure even non basketball fans would go just for the chance..everybody loves Vegas

I think we pull about 3-4k a year at our Shocker Madness event. Boyle probably remembers some of the times he was at ours. It can be really fun, but the best part of it to me is to make it as bare bones as possible. When they tried doing smoke machines, and lights and videos, it was just too flashy. But then again, I am all about the basketball, not the "entertainment" so my idea of fun is a little different. I do enjoy a good dunk contest at these things though. My perfect madness event would be:
1) Intro's (for people to reacquaint themselves with the old players, and meet the new ones.)
2) Scrimmage (two 20 minute halves with a running clock)
3) Dunk contest
4) Meet the team on the concourse for autographs and mingling

But what do I know?

Have the winner of the best rec center intermural league play the team.

no, we don't want to watch some loser play basketball, they have enough guys to scrimmage themselves. Maybe let fans vote on the roster, or pick two fans to be captains and pick teams.

Shocker -- I like the simplicity angle as well. The meet and greet on a concourse or other area after the game is a nice touch.

Did WSU charge for admission? Concessions sold? Details, man! We're curious.

Shocker -- I like the simplicity angle as well. The meet and greet on a concourse or other area after the game is a nice touch.

Did WSU charge for admission? Concessions sold? Details, man! We're curious.

It's always free. It's just a big celebration for all the dedicated fans who would show up to something like this. They always have concessions open and sell food exactly as if it were a game.

We've done everything from smoke machines, strobe lights, big introductions, a Chinook bringing in troops carrying a flag. I'm telling you, I've seen it all haha. It's nothing like Kentucky's Madness, but then again I don't think there are many programs in the country that have as many dedicated fans as Kentucky. But then again, when your football team is that bad, you really only have one thing to cheer for.

I suggested the simplicity angle, because that seemed to be the most successful. It was just nice. You could come in a little late if you needed to, and you wouldn't feel like you missed any "entertainment."

You got to remember though, I'm pretty sure that the team has to use the madness time as "practice" time. So the team is sacrificing some good practice time for the fans. The players get really into it. Especially the new guys, especially the JUCO transfers. It's their first time playing in front of a D-1 crowd. And if you bring 3-4k in attendance, it's probably at least 2,500 more fans than they've ever played in front of. So they get a little amped, and that's when injuries can be brutal, because it's guys playing with their team mates, and they know their tendencies better than opponents. Last year our new banger Carl Hall who doesn't allow ANYONE in the paint, fouled the living **** out of Toure Murry and hurt his hip pretty badly. Had to sit out a few weeks with that nagging injury. We actually had to play that tournament against you guys last year with Toure injured slightly.

Always pros and cons to it.

Thanx for the response. I'm not too worried about losing the one practice, since the team got the extra workouts in summer and exhibition games in euro this year.

Oh, also, we stopped doing a "midnight" madness, and started last year at 6. Started with a 20 minute women's scrimmage, then finished it up with the men's scrimmage. It seemed to work out well. A lot more kids and families could show up.

Those over seas exhibitions do wonders for a team, imo. Just as long as injuries don't happen. The benefits are huge. Something like 20 extra summer practices, plus all the practice/games you get while actually on the trip. Great for new guys to bond with the veterans too.

Well if this only goes through if the Keg is full... we have no chance

I dont necessarily think they mean sellout full. But they want ****** non conference game full. In other words they dont want it to look like SAF@MH last saturday..

Back