What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike Bohn

Where do you rank Mike Bohn?

Votes: 0 0.0%

Votes: 9 8.5%

Votes: 28 26.4%

Votes: 45 42.5%

Votes: 10 9.4%
  • TBA yet leaning bad (explain in post)

Votes: 2 1.9%
  • TBA yet leaning good (explain in post)

Votes: 12 11.3%

• Total voters
I gave him a 3. He has been really solid off the field: fundraising, conference realignment, p.r., etc.

The funny thing is that before reading the comments, I was inclined to score him higher because I was comparing him to Tharp. The realization of what a low bar Tharp set in quickly. God Tharp sucked, especially at the things off the field in which Bohn has excelled.

FWIW the band loves MB. He has been the first AD at the university to actually get us involved, try to take us on trips, get us sweet nike gear, and bring the coaches over to actually talk to us. The stampedes were his idea along with getting enough seats in the CEC so that we can have a massive basketball band. The Hawkins thing is definitely a screw up but I think that he wanted Hawk gone last year, but the big wigs at CU so no. AD or not he does still have to listen to his bosses.

i think the band has done a great job over the last decade. i remember going to a Missouri game in 99 or 00 and they brought their band. the MU band was huge, loud, and pretty impressive (with no small help from the Golden Girls, who were right in front of us in 117 during the show)....and our band was tiny, not very good, and a bit sad.

since then, they've really improved. and have been great at Spring Games and Fall scrimmages and the like. basketball, too.

Evaluation:
Fielding competitive teams: D. Face it, CU has been on the bottom half of the conference with the noted exceptions of skiing, distance runners, and the recent basketball NIT run.

From a competitive standpoint, CU has lost ground on OU, UT or Nebraska and may have been passed by Baylor, Mizzou, Okie Lite, and Texas Tech.

While Bohn gets high marks for fiscal responsibility, it's been mostly on the expense side. The facilities investments have trailed peers. A locker room update, a bubble, and the soon to be unveiled Basketball practice facility helps. But the lack of a permanent indoor practice facility, the delay in updating the scoreboard, overhauling the flatirons club and Balch, or installing a distributed antenna system does not put Folsom anywhere near the top of the heap in categories other than "scenic view"

Expense management means cutting sports (mens tennis) and offering coaches salaries on the low end of the spectrum.

Mike has fought the economic headwinds with aggressive ticket discounts, gimmicky nostalgia games, off-Saturday scheduling and a gawd awful long term contact with CSU that attracts C-list sponsorships like Cinch Jeans. In hindsight, that Toledo Friday night ESPN game was an unmitigated disaster.

On the revenue side, Mike Bohn has not landed any whales that can hold the jock of a T Boone Pickens or Phil Knight.

Bohn does, however, earn high praise for negotiating an exit from the Big teXIIs conference and it's poisonous conference class warfare. Landing CU in the Larry Scott led Pac 12 is the crowning achievement of Mike Bohn. He did a great job keeping a lid on the rumors (pissbomber be damned) and successfully negotiated a fair deal upon exiting the B12. He also did a good job ensuring CU got a good shake with the attractive P12 South conference allignment.

MB also has history of putting together good marquee games with each OOC schedule. The home-home schedule against the likes of West Virginia, Hawaii, Georgia and California have been positive. The Florida State and Ohio State deals also made a lot of sense.

Mike also deserves high marks for steering clear of major institutional scandals. CU has avoided shame suffered by Kansas for ticket fraud, for Ohio State tattoo/memorabilia disclosure, or Auburn money handshakes and church construction. The NCAA wolf isn't on CU's door (knock on wood). The post Thorpe program didn't get nationally stigmatized for the criminal behavior of Bernard Jackson, Lynn Katoa, Mike Sipili, and various petty thefts and brawling. It's hard to tell how much was attributed to the CUAD's improving relationships with the press, or how much was due to the irrelevance that comes with sequential losing seasons.

My biggest criticism with Mike has been that he generates big expectations for fans that get screwed up by poor coaching. Mike is a more sizzle than steak kind of AD. Once the coach is hired, he relegates himself to the booster/marketing role. His style does not include a coaching gravity like what occurs under a Belotti or Osborne. Mike doesn't offer a skill set that helps develop his hires into better coaches once they are under his watch. This role has effectively been relegated to McCartney.

From a competitive standpoint, CU hag lost ground on OU, UT or Nebraska and may have been passed by Baylor, Mizzou, Okie Lite.

good post. i'd also add Texas Tech here ("passed by"). they had a few top 15 finishes under Leach. unlike some others at AB, i don't think they will be more than about a 6-9 win team with Tuberville...consistent and a big W in Lubbock from time to time over OU or UT, maybe. but, in the time frame, you'd have to include Tech at the point of our departure from the league given where CU and TT were in 96 or 01 or whatever.

I also agree on the approach MB took as far as not ducking when the SHTF. You have to respect that.

This is especially true if you believe (as some do) that Bohn actually wanted to fire Hawk a year earlier and was overruled by Benson/DiStephano. If that was the case, it would have been a perfect opportunity for him to shift blame or ditch CU for somewhere that offered him more autonomy in decision making.

I can't imagine how frustrating it would be to publicly take responsibility for a wildly unpopular decision that you disagreed with in the first place. He handled it with professionalism and class - refreshing.

Until the football team starts winning rings (conference championships, top tier bowl games, ect) then I will be inclined to give him a higher grade.

I gave him a 3. He has been really solid off the field: fundraising, conference realignment, p.r., etc.

The funny thing is that before reading the comments, I was inclined to score him higher because I was comparing him to Tharp. The realization of what a low bar Tharp set in quickly. God Tharp sucked, especially at the things off the field in which Bohn has excelled.

I have not seen a ranking of Athletic Directors. When doing this analysis, it's probably with introducing a comparison with others. Where does Bohn rank amongst his peers?

I wonder how much Boise State AD Gene Bleymaier contributed to an environment where Dan Hawkins could thrive. Would Hawkins have done better in Boulder under Bleymaier than Bohn?

Bleymaier has done an incredible job taking an out of the way college tucked away in the mountains and getting it on the nation's stage. Boise has enviable success on the field and a successful merchandising program that has made the Boise orange and blue bronco brand a better symbol of success than anything coming out of Dove Valley.

Utah Athletic Director Chris Hill and TCU AD Chris Elrod have both steered their programs to victory and into BCS conferences.

I've got to put Bohn below those three.

It's hard to tell if Bohn is better or worse than Deloss Dodd at Texas. If given the nearly infinite resources at the disposal of Texas, I'd like to think Mike might have been able to do as well as Dodd. Maybe even better when it comes to looking out for the interests of the conference. Would a Bohn led UT have resulted in a conference meltdown?

Interesting thoughts, Skiddy. In some cases, I think much of it is circumstance. I can't argue the branding Boise has achieved, especially with the blue turf. But I'd argue they dominated a weak conference, and when the chance finally came, with Pederson at the helm, they won one game that truly vaulted them into the national spotlight. Other than that, it was dominating a conference filled with the La Tech's, San Jose's, and Nevada's of the world. I don't think much of the Wac.

How do you evaluate Dodd? I don't know enough of the Horns' history to know if raising monies there has always been the low-hanging fruit that it currently seems- surely Bohn could do that. I also have to think that Bohn could have bent Bebe over in the same fashion Dodds did during realignment, as well. I'm sure there's something I'm missing, but the UT AD seems like the cushiest of gigs.

With Elrod at TCU, it seems he hit jackpot with a coach, but i'm not sure how their conference move will play out. If he was the lead man in their move to the Big East, I almost wonder if he could have held his cards a bit longer to see what becomes of the Big Tex. While they weren't the perfect match for TV, I have to think TCU alums can play the political game well enough to get an invitation to the b12. I think that's a better fit than the Big East, television be damned. Could Bohn have done that? I don't know, but I imagine a lot of the move to the big east had to do with the working relationship between the ad and the hfbc at TCU. It's hard to know how well Bohn works with the CU coaches given our lack of success in the headline sports.

I gave him a 3, but I thought that was a bit of a reach. I have no idea why so many seem to give Mike Bohn the benefit of the doubt on the DH hire because he was a desirable candidate. He outright failed with that hire and you cannot judge his tenure a success until the flagship sport at the school is successful.

Some things stand out with Gene Bleymaier.

He grew revenue and the national profile of the BSU program. Boise football has replaced potatoes as the first thing sports fans think about when hearing about Idaho. Think about that.

Bleymaier did it better than his peers, who were also in the same weak conference. He won with Koetter, Hawkins and Petersen. He consistently puts a winning product on the field year in and year out. This is during at the same time another Rocky Mountain team located in Boulder has languished...with the same coach.

The BSUAD is innovative, and it's not limited to the blue smurf turf. BSU pioneered the sale shares in the athletic department to whomever is interested. All Bleymaier has done is allow his team to compete and win in an admittedly weak conference. He gets his team to win in BCS games, not only beating OU in one of the most memorable games in the last ten years, but also beats BCS opponents like Oregon and Virginia Tech...on the road...on ESPN prime time.

Bleymaier is successful because he's shaped the debate about the validity of the BCS, causing fans from the power conferences to not be satisfied with ignoring BSU. People hate them...for winning. And doing it without attracting the wrong kind of attention from the NCAA.

If given the same hand to play in Boise, does anyone think Bohn could have done as well?

Boise Stock URLs.
http://www.broncostock.com/http://m.cnbc.com/id/33885584/Boise_State_s_Brilliant_Stock_Plan

outside of being an unreal game, beating OU has turned into a PR bonanza for BSU. BSU was only a 7.5 dog at kickoff. that OU team was ranked in the high teens most of the year and lost to Texas and Oregon and had an all FR OL. wasn't like Boise beat Bud Wilkinson or Joe Washington and Lee Roy Selmon. Texas was the best team in the Big XII that year but had injuries in the DB and gagged to KSU and Fran tricked them out in Kyle (whoops, Mack).....i think to let Stoopsie sneak in and beat The Great Callahan in the Big XII Championship Game.

i was in Norman visiting my mom twice that season and saw OU both times. they were blitzing everyone from everywhere (against ISU!) to cover up the fact they had no good corners. Give a smart guy like Peterson a month to prepare for that, and they are going to score. that they overpursued on the statue of liberty, no surprise here.

but, from the way the media story and popular perception is....it's Hoosiers all over again. i really liked Boise going into that game.

the whole David-Goliath thing mos def works for them.

Last edited:
To me Bohn has been either astonishingly successful and utterly brilliant or ridiculously horrible. It seems like there is no in-between with him.

Fantastic 5++ areas: AD budget management, revenue generation, fund raising, school/program image, fan/alumni relations, facilities, conference transition

Horrible 1-- areas: Head coach selection, timeliness of correcting bad hire decisions (Hawk and Patton), HC contract negotiations and extensions, fielding competitive teams in high profile sports.

He's been 80% great and 20% horrible so i gave him a 4.

As many have said, the *awkins hire was a big bad zitt on his face. But all other things considered and he gets a 3.5 from me. If JE works out like most of us think he will, I'll probably revisit this with a higher score.

Last edited:
i voted TBA with a +.

Embree is saying all the right things but i know AB is a sucker for optimism in the Spring. the guy has never won a college game as a HC. TBA.

i was not a fan of the Bzdelik hire but i see how it made some sense. the Boyle hire has a team with a lottery pick and another very good player make the NIT. that, too is TBA. however, i did like a lot what i saw in opening up Knudson's game and (bracing myself) the fearlessness of Relphorde. you have to play basketball to win, not just execute.

How much blame does Chuck Neinas get for the Hawkins hire? Btw, pretty funny that during the Buffalo Chips radio show he said that CU wouldn't be using a search firm anymore. The guy is candid for sure.

How much blame does Chuck Neinas get for the Hawkins hire? Btw, pretty funny that during the Buffalo Chips radio show he said that CU wouldn't be using a search firm anymore. The guy is candid for sure.

Neinas got Bohn the CU job and his office is in Gunbarrel, so I can see why Bohn went that route, but if you make the decision to outsource your due diligence then you have to take responsibility when it doesn't work out.

BTW, attendance is up because Bohn is giving away the tickets to fill seats.

Meh, he was still able to find 45,000 people interested enough in CU football to show up week after week- pretty impressive considering you could almost be assured the team would lose and play lifeless football. You could give me free tickets all season to CSU and I wouldn't even use them as bookmarks.

Those people with free tickets still cheer for CU and buy t-shirts, food, and drinks. Heck maybe one or two of those freebies get season tickets this season.

Last edited:
Meh, he was still able to find 45,000 people interested enough in CU football to show up week after week- pretty impressive considering you could almost be assured the team would lose and play lifeless football. You could give me free tickets all season to CSU and I wouldn't even use them as bookmarks.

Those people with free tickets still cheer for CU and buy t-shirts, food, and drinks. Heck maybe one or two of those freebies get season tickets this season.
Sure, but I'm just saying this in response to people who are giving MB props like he's been actually selling these seats. He hasn't.

I think poll options were added after I voted. I hate it when that happens. The mods on this site suck.

[Sarcasm]Yeah! Totally jacking everything from Rivals!![/Sarcasm]

:smile2:
:doh:
bush_doing_it_wrong.jpg

I had to fify

in my lifetime, CU has and has always had a core group of about 40,000 fans that are going to show up rain or shine at Folsom. it's the rest that make the diff. not sure that i give Bohn the credit for that. the students are either great or texting and "outta there" at halftime. i think there are a lot more factors than Bohn as per total attendance.

as i recall we are pretty middling as per season tix and total capacity %? you can certainly argue that after the last 2 years, who could get THAT excited. after the bowl year, OK. maybe one more year of Darrell Scott will he? and then wetting the bed against CSU and Toledo we had to take the bitter pill.

i think really did his job well for the "10 win" Hawkins year. he got CU on exclusive national TV the first two weeks of the season against CSU and Toledo. i guess it put the staff in a tough spot for the turnaround and maybe no one asked Dan.....but it WAS a spotlight for a team to break out. or get bent over, as it turned out. a team that is going to win 10 in the Big XII should probably not get ass-waxed at Toledo or have a coach post-game talking about how he never coached tackling and was back in it down 17....regardless the variables.

but, for a team ready to "break out" in a national way....Bohn put on us TV to do it. in front of the eyes of recruits, CU's alum base around the country, etc. with a real football staff instead of a bunch of young or mid-major guys learning on the job loyal to Van Morrison, it could have happened.

Last edited:
Back