What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike MacIntyre: Does He Make It Through 2016?

How long will Mike MacIntyre last?

• 1 game: Loss to CSU and Rick George says **** it, time to make a statement!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • 2- games: Buffs lose to CSU and a D-IAA program? Gone

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 3-4 games: Michigan and Oregon are certain losses, but if they get embarrassed?!

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • 5-6 games: Buffs sitting at 2-3 or 2-4 may spark this.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • 7-8 games: I have Buffs at 3-5 after 8. Does needing to go 3-1 in last 4 make George.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 9-10 games: Buffs are not bowl eligible in this timeframe and makes it easy

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • 11-12 games: Two winnable home games and if Buffs are 4-6 going into them, he HAS to win both.

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • 2017 Extension: Buffs make a bowl and continue to show improvement.

Votes: 86 48.9%

• Total voters
Lighten up, Francis. It was a joke. I thought the footnote jab would have given it away.....
I missed the joke because I knew I had an ace in the hole if someone was silly enough to challenge the point - i.e. I was itching to slap someone down...

It's a mute point. HCMM will be out by at least the end of next season. He has tied himself to Sefo and Sefo is not a good QB at this level. 4 wins at best, HCMM is out and RG hits a home run with his new hire.

Moot-Point-Mute-Point-e1341271002625.jpg

It's a mute point. HCMM will be out by at least the end of next season. He has tied himself to Sefo and Sefo is not a good QB at this level. 4 wins at best, HCMM is out and RG hits a home run with his new hire.
The most likely outcome, unfortunately.

The initial question posed was, "If Mac brings in a Top 25 recruiting class, do we keep him with 4-5 wins?".

You're saying no, that Mac is not a great recruiter and to bring in a coach who knows how to recruit and then, presumably, we will be on our way. So either you're not addressing the initial question posed, or your logic is off.
I'll explain my opinion as simply as I can for you: I think that scenario of a top 25 class in a 4-5 win season is extremely unlikely, but if it does happen I would still feel strongly that a change should be made. A bowl game in year 4 is not too much to ask at this level.

I believe certain assistant coaches and the new facilities are far more responsible for our improved recruiting than our head coach, and I believe that a recruiting class that may look really good in September won't look as good in February if we suffer through another losing season.

One of the authors is a poli sci prof at CU.

Ive read that paper and it forms part of the basis of why I lean towards retaining MM. Institutions have a hard time escaping their biases and CU has quite a few that they will bring to bare on the next coaching search. You can win here but it will not be as easy as winning at a school that takes barely academically qualified players with borderline criminal backgrounds. Your going to have to interview with academic types and pay homage to CUs brainy culture if you want the job. Another question is, as Benson ages, will we get another Judith Albino? Betsy Hoffman? I could name a few more between Gee and Benson that have been less than leaders on Athletics.

It will always be easier for some schools to reload at the head coaching position then it will be for CU to hire another great head coach. Even with a mild to complete disregard for academics Alabama, Auburn, Nebraska, Miami, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan to name a few had a hard, hard time finding the right guy after the legend left.

One of the authors is a poli sci prof at CU.

Ive read that paper and it forms part of the basis of why I lean towards retaining MM. Institutions have a hard time escaping their biases and CU has quite a few that they will bring to bare on the next coaching search. You can win here but it will not be as easy as winning at a school that takes barely academically qualified players with borderline criminal backgrounds. Your going to have to interview with academic types and pay homage to CUs brainy culture if you want the job. Another question is, as Benson ages, will we get another Judith Albino? Betsy Hoffman? I could name a few more between Gee and Benson that have been less than leaders on Athletics.

It will always be easier for some schools to reload at the head coaching position then it will be for CU to hire another great head coach. Even with a mild to complete disregard for academics Alabama, Auburn, Nebraska, Miami, Texas, Ohio State, Michigan to name a few had a hard, hard time finding the right guy after the legend left.

Wait, CU is "brainy" and Texas and Michigan disregard academics? I'm not sure you understand the reputations of those three schools.

I'll explain my opinion as simply as I can for you: I think that scenario of a top 25 class in a 4-5 win season is extremely unlikely, but if it does happen I would still feel strongly that a change should be made. A bowl game in year 4 is not too much to ask at this level.

I believe certain assistant coaches and the new facilities are far more responsible for our improved recruiting than our head coach, and I believe that a recruiting class that may look really good in September won't look as good in February if we suffer through another losing season.
I'm going out on a limb but oh well...If we fire Mike Mac we will live to regret it.

What I see is a guy who was given the keys to a P5 program but not entirely sure how to run one at the time. Mac had a great understanding of how to start sifting through the ashes of the program and begin building unity, trust, and getting the guys to buy in. He was also passionate, above average with game plan and I believe firmly, one of the best talent evaluators around. However, his faults lied in bringing his SJS staff with him, whether that was his choice or not, doesn't really matter and in believing that he could recruit the same players he had success with previously in the MWC.

But what we're seeing with the close of last year and the start of this one is a guy who gets it. It's unfortunate that he had to learn on the job but that is the key- he is actually learning and changing his approach. How many coaches (Hawkins comes to mind) refuse to change and adapt and ultimately fail because of it?

Mac realized he needed to upgrade his staff- went out and has made what appears to be 3 or 4 great hires in a 4 year span. Mac- saw that he needed to upgrade the talent on the team to compete with the rest of the Pac- he made sure the guys that he hired had a reputation as great recruiters.

My point is, he is checking all the boxes, albeit slower than we would like, but he's getting the pieces in place. All that is missing at this point are the horses in the barn- so if he ends up with a Top 20-25 recruiting class this year, as the question posed was asking, it would be incredibly shortsighted to pull the plug at this point. I may be wrong but I believe Mac is bringing this program back and we would be shooting ourselves in the foot to cut bait now.

I think you're right because other schools will use MMacs losing record against him and hammer our recruits that he is vulnerable to being fired because of it. Thus, we are unlikely to have a top 25 to top 10 class. Unless Rick George publicly (or privately) assures that MM will be back.

Wait, CU is "brainy" and Texas and Michigan disregard academics? I'm not sure you understand the reputations of those three schools.

Some schools disregard it more than others. Ive heard many around here comment that Cal is hard to get into unless you are a good football player. CU will let kids in. But we will not offer a P.E. degree. Or let athletes take all their classes in the Athletic Department building (SEC). We only give partial credit for community college transfers too (takes longer than 2 years to finish). Some conferences I believe still allow partial qualifiers.

Do people really think the recruits we have committed right now and the ones that will commit in the coming weeks and months are doing so based on some guarantee by the staff that CU will win at least 6 games this year?

Do people really think the recruits we have committed right now and the ones that will commit in the coming weeks and months are doing so based on some guarantee by the staff that CU will win at least 6 games this year?

I do think they are feeling the momentum and "The Rise" branding. Need to show some momentum to keep the class together. Make a bowl and it's going to be on fire.

He was also passionate, above average with game plan and I believe firmly, one of the best talent evaluators around.

Other than passionate, these are fundamental points on which many people disagree. Not only do I see him as a coach that is average at best with game planning, but way below average in adapting during the game. As to talent evaluaters, I've seen next to nothing that indicates he is able to pluck gems from the pile that nobody else can see. These are beliefs that many fans will not be able to agree on.

I do think they are feeling the momentum and "The Rise" branding. Need to show some momentum to keep the class together. Make a bowl and it's going to be on fire.
I agree, but the point is that these kids aren't under the illusion that they are coming to a powerhouse or even mediocre program (currently). They are being sold on the idea of being part of The Rise in 2017 and beyond. Unless we have a 4 win or less season, I don't really see all of our recruits thinking that our coaches sold them on a bill of goods.

I'm going out on a limb but oh well...If we fire Mike Mac we will live to regret it.

What I see is a guy who was given the keys to a P5 program but not entirely sure how to run one at the time. Mac had a great understanding of how to start sifting through the ashes of the program and begin building unity, trust, and getting the guys to buy in. He was also passionate, above average with game plan and I believe firmly, one of the best talent evaluators around. However, his faults lied in bringing his SJS staff with him, whether that was his choice or not, doesn't really matter and in believing that he could recruit the same players he had success with previously in the MWC.

But what we're seeing with the close of last year and the start of this one is a guy who gets it. It's unfortunate that he had to learn on the job but that is the key- he is actually learning and changing his approach. How many coaches (Hawkins comes to mind) refuse to change and adapt and ultimately fail because of it?

Mac realized he needed to upgrade his staff- went out and has made what appears to be 3 or 4 great hires in a 4 year span. Mac- saw that he needed to upgrade the talent on the team to compete with the rest of the Pac- he made sure the guys that he hired had a reputation as great recruiters.

My point is, he is checking all the boxes, albeit slower than we would like, but he's getting the pieces in place. All that is missing at this point are the horses in the barn- so if he ends up with a Top 20-25 recruiting class this year, as the question posed was asking, it would be incredibly shortsighted to pull the plug at this point. I may be wrong but I believe Mac is bringing this program back and we would be shooting ourselves in the foot to cut bait now.
If everything you say is true, and Mac is finally putting all the pieces together and making the moves necessary to move us in the right direction then he'll win some games this year and we'll all be ecstatic. I don't think you can call a 4-5 win season real progress.

What concerns me about Mac is that a bunch of internet ***holes were screaming 2 years ago that bringing his SJSU staff was a mistake, that recruiting MWC level talent was a mistake, that loading up on small, athletic OL prospects that wouldn't be ready to play for 3+ years was a mistake, that not putting proven recruiters on his staff was a mistake and they were right. Mac seems to have learned these lessons and to his credit he is making adjustments, but that it was obvious to amateur observers and not to our $2.5M head coach is troubling.

Win some games, make a bowl and then we can argue about whether or not to extend him. I hope that's where we're at come January.

If everything you say is true, and Mac is finally putting all the pieces together and making the moves necessary to move us in the right direction then he'll win some games this year and we'll all be ecstatic. I don't think you can call a 4-5 win season real progress.

What concerns me about Mac is that a bunch of internet ***holes were screaming 2 years ago that bringing his SJSU staff was a mistake, that recruiting MWC level talent was a mistake, that loading up on small, athletic OL prospects that wouldn't be ready to play for 3+ years was a mistake, that not putting proven recruiters on his staff was a mistake and they were right. Mac seems to have learned these lessons and to his credit he is making adjustments, but that it was obvious to amateur observers and not to our $2.5M head coach is troubling.

Win some games, make a bowl and then we can argue about whether or not to extend him. I hope that's where we're at come January.
I am expecting a 4-5 win season and a fury of debate come late November.....

Yep. Re: the 2nd paragraph... we were in the very vocal minority on that one.

Back