What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike MacIntyre: Does He Make It Through 2016?

How long will Mike MacIntyre last?

• 1 game: Loss to CSU and Rick George says **** it, time to make a statement!

Votes: 5 2.8%
  • 2- games: Buffs lose to CSU and a D-IAA program? Gone

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 3-4 games: Michigan and Oregon are certain losses, but if they get embarrassed?!

Votes: 4 2.3%
  • 5-6 games: Buffs sitting at 2-3 or 2-4 may spark this.

Votes: 14 8.0%
  • 7-8 games: I have Buffs at 3-5 after 8. Does needing to go 3-1 in last 4 make George.

Votes: 3 1.7%
  • 9-10 games: Buffs are not bowl eligible in this timeframe and makes it easy

Votes: 24 13.6%
  • 11-12 games: Two winnable home games and if Buffs are 4-6 going into them, he HAS to win both.

Votes: 37 21.0%
  • 2017 Extension: Buffs make a bowl and continue to show improvement.

Votes: 86 48.9%

• Total voters
I don't know if I'm buying it either. There is probably some truth to Bohn's penny-pinching, but Mac probably lays too much "blame" there; it sounds a bit like he's laying the groundwork in the media to cover his butt if he gets fired. However, I give Mac credit for the uptick in recruiting because of his hires after he got here, he did work with RG to beef up the staffing and the stipulation in his contract about a facility upgrade.

Yep. No one is going to criticize a CEO for hiring good people, creating a better culture, and modernizing organizational infrastructure.

But at some point the bottom line is the bottom line.

How? According to your theory, he's taking every bit of credit for the recruiting turnaround so far, so how does that build in an excuse if the team has another unacceptable season?

I see a narrative about ongoing and increasing improvements to the organization, starting from an unbelievably deep hole, and an argument that you don't change horses when the cart is moving in the right direction.

Pros; Recruiting on the upswing. Facilities in place. Upgrades on the staff.

Cons: OL and QB recruiting have been less than stellar, (although this class looks like that as been cured). Still not competitive in conference (and losing 8 conference games a year, 4 of them by 7 points or less, or whatever it is, means squat to me, an L is an L).

Bottom line, field a competitive team, make bowl eligibility (with what 32 bowls, how is that too much to ask?), don't get blown out, dominate G5's. If you cannot do that, in year four, you have to ask, if he is the right guy. Now, if CU goes 5-7, loses a couple of heart breakers, keeps the staff and class intact, or continues to improve on those fronts, sure, keep him.

When I look at the schedule realistically, I see 4 W's. I really hope, and will be rooting for, me to be dead wrong on that score.

I should clarify, that hiring the right assistants is key to recruiting success, but at some point you have to prove you can coach and develop players at this level and in year 4 the jury is definitely still out.

I understand your point and it's valid, but I also know that at some point results (winning) needs to matter, and a bowl game is a pretty modest definition of success.

I want Mac to dispel the notion that he can only be successful (make a bowl) in the most ideal circumstances (finally having decent staff, brand new facilities, favorable schedule, new systems fully installed, upper-classmen heavy team, free injuries, etc.).
Fair enough, and for the record, I'm not against moving on from MM if he fails to reach a bowl, assuming RG has a plan with a highly qualified replacement.

I see a narrative about ongoing and increasing improvements to the organization, starting from an unbelievably deep hole, and an argument that you don't change horses when the cart is moving in the right direction.
Is that a narrative from MM or people on this board?

I think the question we all have is whether MacIntyre is the guy or is MacIntyre the guy before the guy?

He has built a solid foundation. Now win some games or get someone in here who can.

A quote. Mac takes a lot of credit and takes no blame for anything.

"A lot of things have happened over the last 18 months that have made a big difference," CU head coach Mike MacIntyre said at the recent Pac-12 Media Days. "In an area that we had just one guy when I got here, now we have six. It's helping in organization, planning, evaluation and in building relationships. You saw some of that help us in the end of the process last year (the most recent recruiting class) but now it's really coming to fruition. We're far ahead and it's been tremendous."

Indeed, MacIntyre and his staff have already corralled numerous commitments for the 2017 class, far ahead of any time in recent memory.

"It takes time to get the system in place," MacIntyre said. "We wanted it when I first got here, but to be honest, we didn't have the budget. (CU Athletic Director) Rick George was able to help us get it in place and now you're seeing the results. It helps our assistant coaches because we can identify and evaluate guys quicker. Then, through social media, we can communicate with them earlier and develop and build relationships."

The Link

http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2016/7/22/buffs-football-recruiting-definitely-on-therise16.aspx
I'm not sure why anyone would take issue with what he said there.

Fair enough, and for the record, I'm not against moving on from MM if he fails to reach a bowl, assuming RG has a plan with a highly qualified replacement.
If I'm being totally honest, I can absolutely see and understand the argument for keeping Mac even following a 4 or 5 win season this year given the positive momentum we're seeing in other areas of the program, but I hate the idea of even considering such a scenario before the season has even started - I want this fanbase to expect better and to stop making excuses for poor performance. Let RG worry about circumstances and what kind of hand Mac was dealt, as a fan I want to see wins and don't care to hear excuses why we aren't getting them. I buy my tickets and I want to see a good product, period.

So that's where I am - win or GTFO.

If I'm being totally honest, I can absolutely see and understand the argument for keeping Mac even following a 4 or 5 win season this year given the positive momentum we're seeing in other areas of the program, but I hate the idea of even considering such a scenario before the season has even started - I want this fanbase to expect better and to stop making excuses for poor performance. Let RG worry about circumstances and what kind of hand Mac was dealt, as a fan I want to see wins and don't care to hear excuses why we aren't getting them. I buy my tickets and I want to see a good product, period.

So that's where I am - win or GTFO.

Exactly. If RG decides to retain a coach who isn't winning in year 4, he needs to make that case to fans and boosters. We shouldn't be making it for him.

These comments are referring to not having the budget for the entire scouting department that is now being utilized and dispersed around the recruiting footprint (much like an NFL scouting department is utilized and what most big time college programs have). The prior comments in this thread, I believe, were claiming that MM had complained about not having the budget for the right assistant coaches when he got here, which is just false.
Well I am responding to what you asked

I'm just repeating what he said. He had money for assistants but he said there wasn't the $ to build his recruiting team.
You..............Can you please provide a link to the article that quotes him on this. TIA

I'm not sure why anyone would take issue with what he said there.

No issue on my part, but you can look at his comments the last 4 years and taking responsibility is not his strong point. Better than Lindgren..............by a hair.

Exactly. If RG decides to retain a coach who isn't winning in year 4, he needs to make that case to fans and boosters. We shouldn't be making it for him.
I can agree with Sinkratz. If the program shows enough in year 4 to convince the recruits that the Rise is in effect, I'm on board with them. If not, change!

Rebuilding is tough and we've made great, albeit slow progress. He's fixed a lot, now it's all about recruiting momentum.

This is going to be black and white, soon enough.

I don't think people realize how far behind on a lot of this stuff that CU still is.

Here's an example with Texas Tech. They have a position for Head Football Strength & Conditioning. Then they've got another 3 dedicated football staff assistants: Associate Director for S&C, plus Directors for "Mobility & Agility" and "Speed & Power". This is on top of having a Head Athletic Trainer and an Assistant Athletic Trainer - Football. http://www.texastech.com/roster.aspx?path=football

I don't think people realize how far behind on a lot of this stuff that CU still is
10dcea99c4257bc84509046705d72b9b.jpg

Who was more influential in bringing JL last year and Chev this year? Was it MM or RG? To me that answers a lot.

Who was more influential in bringing JL last year and Chev this year? Was it MM or RG? To me that answers a lot.
I think JL was Mac's influence...they knew each other in the Bay Area when they were both coaching in that area. IDK about Chev.

I think most of it is BS. You take what you have and you do something with it. CU's recruiting under MacIntyre the first couple of years was just pathetic. They would offer guys that no one else was offering - how does that have anything to do with not enough staff. He fired guys like Jasohn Sykes who was really involved with recruiting. He claimed how well they recruited at SJSU by visiting every HS in the State now I guess that approach didn't work at CU.

MacIntyre basically tripled the salaries of his assistants from SJSU - paying them more than many of their counterparts in the PAC 12. (Neinas was making $250K when the same position at ASU was paying $125K). He could of conserved some of that money and hired some people in the recruiting department if it was that important. Instead of having his staff out recruiting he has them sit in a room all day watching video of his son so he could justify offering him a scholarship.

You can tell stuff like this pushes me over the edge. I am so convinced that MacIntyre is not the guy that it is not funny. The guy has wasted money from day one.

I have more to say but will quit now.

I think most of it is BS. You take what you have and you do something with it. CU's recruiting under MacIntyre the first couple of years was just pathetic. They would offer guys that no one else was offering - how does that have anything to do with not enough staff. He fired guys like Jasohn Sykes who was really involved with recruiting. He claimed how well they recruited at SJSU by visiting every HS in the State now I guess that approach didn't work at CU.

MacIntyre basically tripled the salaries of his assistants from SJSU - paying them more than many of their counterparts in the PAC 12. (Neinas was making $250K when the same position at ASU was paying $125K). He could of conserved some of that money and hired some people in the recruiting department if it was that important. Instead of having his staff out recruiting he has them sit in a room all day watching video of his son so he could justify offering him a scholarship.

You can tell stuff like this pushes me over the edge. I am so convinced that MacIntyre is not the guy that it is not funny. The guy has wasted money from day one.

You mean like Awuzie, Olgubode and Gillam? I kindof get your point. Dude was recruiting under the radar talent that he could develop (like you do when are a really good coach in the WAC).

Man you guys are petty, mm did not say he did not have $ for his assistants but needed funding for recruiting staff. But pin heads hear it is the same people that he needed $ for--- and they are not the same. But keep on the narrative that you know everything about everything.

When I read this it comes across as "McCartney did it without having these resources, so a good coach can suck it up and make it happen without these excuses".

I don't know if that's where you are coming from, but I think that is an attitude and perception that has hurt the program for a lot of years. First of all, times change and the arms race happened which changed the nature of the game. Second of all, waiting and hoping for the next savior coach ignores everything else that goes into winning while absolving CU and its AD of their responsibilities.

Have people forgotten how bad we were before MM came in? If San Jose State had wanted to I have no doubt they would have beat us by 50. The only 2 teams that finished the year ranked higher than them that we played were Stanford and Oregon. We played both at home and lost 48-0 and 70-14, after they took their foot off the pedal at half time. The next best teams we played were USC who beat us 50-6 and Washington who beat us 38-3. We lost to Sacramento St and Fresno St put up 35 in the first quarter.

I've read everything he has said and don't have a problem with it. Yes he probably should give more props to the assistants but don't think that is anything big to worry about. I think the wins start coming this year and we make a bowl, and I do think it is time MM starts to show some improvement in the win column but the team we have now would absolutely destroy the team he inherited and we have to keep that in mind.

No issue on my part, but you can look at his comments the last 4 years and taking responsibility is not his strong point. Better than Lindgren..............by a hair.
I'd imagine he is fully accountable. Just not in the press. Why the hell would anyone be quoted in the press admitting they did something badly? I sure as hell wouldn't. Especially if my job were greatly dependent on selling myself and program to recruits.

When I read this it comes across as "McCartney did it without having these resources, so a good coach can suck it up and make it happen without these excuses".

I don't know if that's where you are coming from, but I think that is an attitude and perception that has hurt the program for a lot of years. First of all, times change and the arms race happened which changed the nature of the game. Second of all, waiting and hoping for the next savior coach ignores everything else that goes into winning while absolving CU and its AD of their responsibilities.

Not where I am going at all. The budget was expanded greatly for MacIntyre and beyond just coaching salaries. He chose to hire mostly just buddies at huge pay increases instead of taking his job with the seriousness that it required for the position.

On the bolded part I have no idea what you are talking about or how it relates to what I posted....

Not where I am going at all. The budget was expanded greatly for MacIntyre and beyond just coaching salaries. He chose to hire mostly just buddies at huge pay increases instead of taking his job with the seriousness that it required for the position.

On the bolded part I have no idea what you are talking about or how it relates to what I posted....

Part of the whole "savior coach" thing if that was where you are going. We still have a contingent that talks about how we won when we didn't have enough dumbbells to get a proper lift in as if that stuff isn't needed. I'm glad that isn't where you were coming from. Those football fans who come at it from that direction are unintentionally supporting the anti-football contingent that doesn't think a university should be focusing funds or campus real estate on athletic facilities & staffing.

Part of the whole "savior coach" thing if that was where you are going. We still have a contingent that talks about how we won when we didn't have enough dumbbells to get a proper lift in as if that stuff isn't needed. I'm glad that isn't where you were coming from. Those football fans who come at it from that direction are unintentionally supporting the anti-football contingent that doesn't think a university should be focusing funds or campus real estate on athletic facilities & staffing.
I thought Mac had gotten rid of the dumbbells?

Nothing to do with a savior. I just think the guy we have is a poor coach (actually a bad coach). I believe in any business when you come to the conclusion that you have the wrong guy you make a change.

Nothing to do with a savior. I just think the guy we have is a poor coach (actually a bad coach). I believe in any business when you come to the conclusion that you have the wrong guy you make a change.

Fair enough. We'll get some clarity soon enough. We all just want to win.

Back