What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike MacIntyre officially fired effective immediately

I see how well some of you know your team?? Alex Kelley didn’t even play in 2016, he graduated in 2015. And I’m the ignorant one??? Get a grip on yourselves. You need a reality check guys. What a “lame” remark.

I see how well some of you know your team?? Alex Kelley didn’t even play in 2016, he graduated in 2015. And I’m the ignorant one??? Get a grip on yourselves. You need a reality check guys. What a “lame” remark.
That is gold, right there.

Um, Ann, he was starting center in 2016. But don't take my word for it, you can reference the official roster.

You seem angry. Half the people on here can't spell Hagan correctly, carry on.

Brian Howell’s chat comment today: “It's a problem when (offensive) players can hear the other team (defense) calling out what the play is going to be. And, I had a CU staffer (non coach) tell me he could hear the same thing from the sidelines.”

If there was a question about play calling and formational presentation, this is an indictment of Chev as OC; though, I imagine this problem may not have been unique to this year. If true, it would explain a great deal about all those negative plays and the offensive decline over the course of the year.

Brian Howell’s chat comment today: “It's a problem when (offensive) players can hear the other team (defense) calling out what the play is going to be. And, I had a CU staffer (non coach) tell me he could hear the same thing from the sidelines.”

If there was a question about play calling and formational presentation, this is an indictment of Chev as OC; though, I imagine this problem may not have been unique to this year. If true, it would explain a great deal about all those negative plays and the offensive decline over the course of the year.

That is not talked about enough on this board. The fact that Chev’s weakness cost HCMM his job. I understand that the decision to elevate Chev was a Rick George decision. So in effect RG cut HCMM off at the knees. Chev’s position group was the reason we didn’t go bowling last year and the offense is the reason we suck this year.

I’m a RG fan, and I lost faith in HCMM after he was crying at the Nebraska game but these are the facts the way I see them.

That is not talked about enough on this board. The fact that Chev’s weakness cost HCMM his job. I understand that the decision to elevate Chev was a Rick George decision. So in effect RG cut HCMM off at the knees. Chev’s position group was the reason we didn’t go bowling last year and the offense is the reason we suck this year.

I’m a RG fan, and I lost faith in HCMM after he was crying at the Nebraska game but these are the facts the way I see them.
You are consistently one of the worst posters on this board. I'm fine with you posting your thoughts on things, but these ideas are just completely baffling.

Chev did not have a good year.

However, it was recruiting that killed MacIntyre more than anything. His assistants weren’t very good at it and he isnt a good “closer” as a head coach.

Chev largely did a decent job on the recruiting trail, but overcoming the dead weight is a challenge. The combo of Adams/Bernardi was simply awful.

No offense taken from anyone. This is a public forum and we all have opinions. I’m a good Texas conservative gun carrying woman. I don’t need a support group and I don’t get offended by opinions that don’t match mine. But I do deserve the right to one up ya!!!

All fine and good, but you are treading in a place where offense is taken from political opinions.

The experience of gun owning Texan parents of Buff football players can be tenuous.

That said, thanks for the insights.

You are consistently one of the worst posters on this board. I'm fine with you posting your thoughts on things, but these ideas are just completely baffling.

I’m sure they are baffling to someone of your limitations. You see Gary, to understand my theories you have be smarter than an average USA Today reader. Keep trying pal you can get there!

I’m sure they are baffling to someone of your limitations. You see Gary, to understand my theories you have be smarter than an average USA Today reader. Keep trying pal you can get there!
I'll certainly try, but maybe you can help me here.

So...Chev is the actual reason for Mac's futility and the position group with the most talent on the team is the reason we didn't go bowling? Oh, and it was when we beat a hated rival in Lincoln to move to 2-0, that's when you knew Mac had to go? Does that about sum it up? I can't believe I couldn't connect the dots earlier.

giphy.gif

However, it was recruiting that killed MacIntyre more than anything. His assistants weren’t very good at it and he isnt a good “closer” as a head coach.

Chev largely did a decent job on the recruiting trail, but overcoming the dead weight is a challenge. The combo of Adams/Bernardi was simply awful.
so bad coaching and bad players. Lose lose

The fact that Chev’s weakness cost HCMM his job. I understand that the decision to elevate Chev was a Rick George decision. So in effect RG cut HCMM off at the knees. Chev’s position group was the reason we didn’t go bowling last year and the offense is the reason we suck this year.

I have to admit, I don’t follow the logic: RG installed Chev as OC (How do we know this?), and Chev sucked at OC, hence, RG cut MM at the knees, and RG is our best hope?

Also, I find fault with assigning a presumptively negative value to a head coach (or is the problem a man?) crying after a big win. This is an annoyingly machismo view of the world. Genuine emotion is a good thing. Sure there are times and places for certain reactions, and if MM had been curled up in a ball whimpering as the defense tried to stop NEB from scoring, I’d agree that may not be effective coaching.

One of the most interesting aspects of sports is watching people deal with intensity, stress, and emotion while still being effective in difficult situations. It’s called a Story, and dramatic stories are the most enjoyable to watch or read.

On the other hand, it’s bland and uninspiring to watch robotic people with no feelings walk around a flat screen, or, perhaps, type repetitively within one.

This is the heart of the issue.

More specifically the failure to recruit on the offensive line.

Chev didn't have a good year. He deserves blame but without being able to block anyone very little of what you call will work.

If Rick George actually forced Chiv as OC, don't you think the failing offense would have given Mac a longer leash and not less? I would imagine that RG wouldn't be that vindictive to say "Hey, I gave you a bad OC, and your offense was bad, so now you are fired."

This makes so much sense!!! That's on Chev AND MMac...as HC, MMac is responsible for everything that happens on the field. I am really disappointed in Chev...I was hoping he'd be a stud...but he's a decent to good recruiter and apparently a terrible OC. How do you score only 7 points at home with the best wide receiver in the country (and an extremely talented WR corp), an experienced and talented QB, a good RB etc. I realize the OL is ****, but come one, with blind luck we should be able to score double digits against any team. I'm fine with the new coach cutting bait with this entire staff...except maybe Drew Wilson.

A good or creative OC would be able to tweak his offense enough to find something that works. I agree the OL is pathetic but many teams deal with this situation. You disguise routes,go to quick passes, roll your QB out with an option to run. Montez looked as though he was coached to NOT run the last 3/4 games for sure. vs utah - he had easy 1st downs if he would have just ran the ball, instead he would throw or throw the ball away.

A good or creative OC would be able to tweak his offense enough to find something that works. I agree the OL is pathetic but many teams deal with this situation. You disguise routes,go to quick passes, roll your QB out with an option to run. Montez looked as though he was coached to NOT run the last 3/4 games for sure. vs utah - he had easy 1st downs if he would have just ran the ball, instead he would throw or throw the ball away.

Name the other P5 teams who have equally poor or worse OLs than Colorado.

just stating in general. Teams deal with injuries and suspensions all the time all over the country both NFL and college. florida st. comes to mind this season, they were pretty bad on the OL.

my point being. Chev is just to new to the OC demands and seemed unable to adjust. Our offense looked the same since the 1st game vs csu. We just got exposed and good DCs developed a plan to stop the fly / wheel routes. Then stopped the jet sweeps. We were toast at that point.

I was hoping he'd be a stud...but he's a decent to good recruiter and apparently a terrible OC. How do you score only 7 points at home with the best wide receiver in the country (and an extremely talented WR corp), an experienced and talented QB, a good RB etc. I realize the OL is ****, but come on

I agree with the general premise, but I also think no one is great at something on their first pass. All other things being equal, a five-year veteran OC should be better than a first-year OC. On the other hand, some people are obviously out of their depth in a job from day one.

I am frankly not sure which category Chev falls into due to the variable of the horrible OL. Maybe he’ll find his sea legs as an OC with another year or so.

But, I do absolutely agree that repeatedly generating 7 points in critical bowl-cinching games - at home - with a veteren QB, solid WRs and RB, is not a good sign at all.

Last edited:
my point being. Chev is just to new to the OC demands and seemed unable to adjust. Our offense looked the same since the 1st game vs csu. We just got exposed and good DCs developed a plan to stop the fly / wheel routes. Then stopped the jet sweeps. We were toast at that point.
It seemed to me that we got a lot more conservative. Trick plays went away, when they'd been part of the offense. Fewer attempts down field. Emphasis going toward ball control and milking clock -- either 1st down run plays or short passes. No longer going fast as hell from play to play. My theory was that Chev was told to slow things down and protect the defense while avoiding turnovers and negative plays. That all goes against the design of that offense and Chev's tendencies, so it's hard for me to believe that Chev decided to make those changes on his own.

It seemed to me that we got a lot more conservative. Trick plays went away, when they'd been part of the offense. Fewer attempts down field. Emphasis going toward ball control and milking clock -- either 1st down run plays or short passes. No longer going fast as hell from play to play. My theory was that Chev was told to slow things down and protect the defense while avoiding turnovers and negative plays. That all goes against the design of that offense and Chev's tendencies, so it's hard for me to believe that Chev decided to make those changes on his own.
This is the part I don't understand- the late-season buffs in each of the last 3 years have abandoned the vertical passing game after having success early on in the season. I do not get it at all

Couldn’t agree more. There’s absolutely nothing in Chevs history that leads you to believe he prefers to keep running up the middle and being conservative. I could be wrong but I just don’t see that being his decision. It does however dot coach Mac’s personality to a T. We also forget their was a co-OC in this ad well. Chev called the plays but he didn’t come up with the game plan all on his own. It was def a disappointment year but I don’t put it all on Chev

Back