What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Mike MacIntyre officially takes Ole Miss DC job

"The University of Colorado and former head football coach Mike MacIntyre have reached a settlement agreement that will pay him $7.238 million to close out his contract.

MacIntyre, who was fired by CU on Nov. 18 and is now the defensive coordinator at Mississippi, will receive a lump sum of $3.542 million no later than Monday, and a second lump sum of $3.696 million on Jan. 20, 2020.

The agreement was executed on Tuesday and allows CU to save roughly $3 million on MacIntyre's buyout."

"The University of Colorado and former head football coach Mike MacIntyre have reached a settlement agreement that will pay him $7.238 million to close out his contract.

MacIntyre, who was fired by CU on Nov. 18 and is now the defensive coordinator at Mississippi, will receive a lump sum of $3.542 million no later than Monday, and a second lump sum of $3.696 million on Jan. 20, 2020.

The agreement was executed on Tuesday and allows CU to save roughly $3 million on MacIntyre's buyout."

uncommon

Well better than nothing.

Still pretty annoyed we allowed this to happen
I'm not sure we could have expected any different. Every head coaching job, upon firing ends up in a buyout equal to salary owed offset by new salary. The only issue CU had originally was not have a DC job as part of the offset in the contract, but were able to negotiate it anyway. So basically we are where we should have been. Unless you are talking about over paying on the original salary amount and number of years.

That would assume that it was funded and available, and now can be used elsewhere. It wasn't, as far as I understand.
Right. So that FHCMM buyout meant belt tightening to maintain a balanced budget in the face of those extra expenses. This eases the pressure and frees up money within the budget instead of having a $3M obligation line item off the top in year 3.

I'm not sure we could have expected any different. Every head coaching job, upon firing ends up in a buyout equal to salary owed offset by new salary. The only issue CU had originally was not have a DC job as part of the offset in the contract, but were able to negotiate it anyway. So basically we are where we should have been. Unless you are talking about over paying on the original salary amount and number of years.
Yup, it's like I posted a month or so ago. Bad that CU didn't have an offset for college coordinator but there is now way RG was going to let Mac sit down in Oxford collecting two paychecks when he could have easily got a head coaching job at a G5 school if he wanted to. Honestly this is probably a wash because he wasn't going to get a G5 head coaching job that would have paid him $1.5 million a year anyways. So RG and the lawyers probably said we will allow you this for one year but you aren't going to just sit there and collect for 3.

Yup, it's like I posted a month or so ago. Bad that CU didn't have an offset for college coordinator but there is now way RG was going to let Mac sit down in Oxford collecting two paychecks when he could have easily got a head coaching job at a G5 school if he wanted to. Honestly this is probably a wash because he wasn't going to get a G5 head coaching job that would have paid him $1.5 million a year anyways. So RG and the lawyers probably said we will allow you this for one year but you aren't going to just sit there and collect for 3.
MacIntyre and his agent are betting that he gets a new HC job. If he gets it for 2020, he gets double salary that year instead of voiding the CU buyout. If he gets it for 2021, it's a wash. This only benefits CU if MacIntyre is in a coordinator job still in 2021 (along with the security and certainty of knowing the buyout amount & schedule for planning purposes). I think it's a good deal for both sides and would have agreed regardless of which side of the table I was sitting on in that negotiation.

I wonder what would’ve happened if CU let McIntyre walk after 2016 by not giving him an extension. It was a tough year to be looking for a head coach with openings at LSU (Orgeron), Oregon (Taggert), Cal (Wilcox), Texas (Herman), Baylor (Rhule), Minnesota (Fleck), Indiana (Allen), and Purdue (Brohm). Not to mention decent others at Cincy, SFU, UConn, Fresneck, and Houston. You have to then wonder if Leavitt would’ve been elevated or would they look outside. Would Chev have stayed at CU and become the OC? Some fun what ifs.

I wonder what would’ve happened if CU let McIntyre walk after 2016 by not giving him an extension. It was a tough year to be looking for a head coach with openings at LSU (Orgeron), Oregon (Taggert), Cal (Wilcox), Texas (Herman), Baylor (Rhule), Minnesota (Fleck), Indiana (Allen), and Purdue (Brohm). Not to mention decent others at Cincy, SFU, UConn, Fresneck, and Houston. You have to then wonder if Leavitt would’ve been elevated or would they look outside. Would Chev have stayed at CU and become the OC? Some fun what ifs.
I suspect that JL would have become our HC with Chev as OC if MacIntyre had left after 2016. I think that's the safest assumption, actually.

I suspect that JL would have become our HC with Chev as OC if MacIntyre had left after 2016. I think that's the safest assumption, actually.

I agree, which makes me wonder why CU inked such a bad contract. They actually had a ton of leverage with JL frothing in the wings.

MacIntyre and his agent are betting that he gets a new HC job. If he gets it for 2020, he gets double salary that year instead of voiding the CU buyout. If he gets it for 2021, it's a wash. This only benefits CU if MacIntyre is in a coordinator job still in 2021 (along with the security and certainty of knowing the buyout amount & schedule for planning purposes). I think it's a good deal for both sides and would have agreed regardless of which side of the table I was sitting on in that negotiation.
Yup, and RG sees his chances of landing a P5 gig pretty low at this point and I tend to agree with him.

Plus, MikMac is showing possible future HC hunters that he will abide by the standard contractual provisions CU, for whatever reason, failed to include.

ELITE COACH Jim Leavitt is definitely a prize who got away.

Well, I’m not sure I had a point other than to speculate, but it seems like retaining HCMM with an extension worked out for CU. Otherwise, we’d be entering year three of a five year contract with Leavitt and would potentially still have issues with the offense and poor recruiting. I’d rather be where we are with Tucker right now. Worked out for everyone, except JL.

Time to move on. It seems like HCMM's contract extension should have included a a buyout reduction for any money earned during the contract term for any NCAA coaching position, not just head coach. It was undoubtedly a negotiated term at a time when he had negotiating strength, what with being the consensus NCAA D1 football coach of the year and all. It is a mutually agreeable settlement, in which both sides give up something. MacIntyre could have said FU, give me my 3 extra million, and lots of people would have said that. Nice to get it over with.

Last edited:
The hypothetical Mac leaving, is that based on the "offers" he had after 2016? I thought his original contract went through 2017, we would have missed out on Elite Super Duper coach Leavitt at that point.

ok, i've read the contract and the press reports and have reached some conclusions.

1. there was a dispute as to whether the buyout was triggered if he took a non-hc job. there is arguably some contrary language in different parts of the agreement that would suggest ambiguity or unknown intent.
2. clearly, the parties wanted this handled quietly and as amicably as possible. that's why it went to mediation.
3. i think mm had the better side of the argument. that's just my view, but where there is clarity in terms on this point, it favors him.
4. so, if you are CU and you don't feel like you are going to get full relief (which i think they realized early on and set aside the full amount as a contingent liability), then you try to ge the best deal you can.
5. they enticed mm with front loaded cash and the possibility of a double-payment if mm gets another hc job next year.
6. this is a good deal in the context of the dispute.

**** like this happens. most contracts are not litigated/mediated/arbitrated, etc. stuff gets kicked aside, mis-worded, etc. it is just how it is. i think every attorney should have the experience of litigating a contract they wrote/negotiated. it ups one's game, substantially.

take the 3mm relief and move on.

Back