What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

MM’s Worst Loss

Which one?

• Total voters

TDforTD

Club Member
Club Member
Thanks to Nik and @onealcd for some suggestions here. I was going to leave MM alone for ‘13 and ‘14 but those were some brutal losses, even for the time. Some recency bias in the poll but I also think 2017 carried more expectations with it. Vote however you define his worst loss, whether it’s the one that still stings the most or the one you were the most disappointed in, etc.

I’m voting for the cop-out option of the combined losses to UCLA. While not “bad” losses in the generally accepted sense of the word, if MM goes out with a whimper this year, then I think those UCLA games perfectly exemplify our struggles in this coaching regime. Just never quite able to make the game winning plays (outside of one year) when we needed them.

In terms of blown opportunities, I’d say 2016 @ USC. That was a game we could have won.

However, I’ll give them a pass there as that was still a fantastic season.

I’d go with the ASU game in 2017. That was a game we had in hand. It was won. ASU was ready to quit, and we shat ourselves. Win that game and we go bowling. It was all there for the taking, and somehow we managed to piss it all away. Horrible, horrible loss.

I voted for csu in 14, as it set the tone for the whole season. That team had no business not going to a bowl. We fell apart late against csu, cal, osu, ucla and utah.

I was tempted to pick hawaii in 15. The terrible game management, mental errors and horrible special teams all in one package.

Hawaii loss was pathetic. Anyone who stayed up to watch that red-eye broadcast was duly punished.

But I’m going with the Alamo Bowl. National exposure. Tumpkin berated on sideline while under a restraining order. MacIntyre was fresh off of his NCOTY victory lap tour while his coaching staff fell apart. Okie Lite was better in every phase. That was not the way The Rise was supposed to end.

That was not the way The Rise was supposed to end.
thats-what-she-said.jpg

Hawaii '15. Being in the Eastern Time Zone, I waited up that Sunday morning and watched that clock hit 0:00 on the absolutely most frustrating game I've ever seen the BnG play. UCLA and AZ State of last season share 2nd place. Recent memory bias yes, but those were the years we reasonably expected some progress to be demonstrated, especially in Hawaii.

Worst motivation loss: @Hawaii.
Worst game management loss @Hawaii.
FIFY

The 2nd and 4th quarters were the dumbest offensive play calling in a Buff game since the come from 28 points ahead loss to KU.

Hawaii could not stop the run. Run for 8 yards, run for 7 and a first down, run for 6, run for 8 and another first down, run for 12 and another first, incomplete pass, incomplete pass, incomplete pass, punt. Lindgren would not have been allowed on the team plane back to Colorado if I had been in charge.

I've never been more frustrated and infuriated than the Hawaii and ASU game last year. Hawaii was probably worse, as it was just absolute terrible coaching and horrendous play on all three sides. I would have broke something in that Hawaii game if it wasn't for being 3 ****ing am and barely awake.

Last edited:
Hawaii. I drove 12 hours straight home from the salmon river with 5 stinky rafters and 2 dogs in a t100 to watch that game. My rafting buddy who knows dick about football said “it doesn’t look like either team knows how to play good football “.

In terms of blown opportunities, I’d say 2016 @ USC. That was a game we could have won.

Felt like that was a game that shouldn't have been as close as it was. Darnold moved the ball between the 20s all game.

Worst play in that game: Sam Darnold pass complete to Darreus Rogers for 46 yds to the Colo 24 for a 1ST down.

The clip is still saved in the box score and it's still incredibly frustrating to watch:
http://www.espn.com/college-football/playbyplay?gameId=400869132

I voted Hawaii. That punt block was so bad. I remember a really bad pick in the endzone by Sefo, too, among other things.

Being in person for that 59-7 loss in Seattle was not particularly enjoyable either, but I guess my expectations were about as low as they could be.

Last edited:

I’d go with the ASU game in 2017. That was a game we had in hand. It was won. ASU was ready to quit, and we shat ourselves. Win that game and we go bowling. It was all there for the taking, and somehow we managed to piss it all away. Horrible, horrible loss.
yes..this

Back