What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez and Overreaction

FightCu1414

Fifth year Senior
Club Member
After a loss, typically I will stay away from twitter that night or any message boards. Tonight I was so bummed that I broke my rule of staying away. The "Loser Mentality" thread may have been the dumbest thing I have ever seen posted in my life. I would like to direct you to our season predictions at the beginning of the year: https://www.allbuffs.com/threads/2017-season-predictions-be-prepared-to-be-mocked-later.127829/

A majority of people predicted us to lose to both UDUB and UCLA. The Buffs are pretty much close to what we thought they were. Defense is a tad better, and the offense is underperforming. So what? It is so dumb to be high and mighty about being right that we "suck." Congrats you were right that our offense was overrated Lindgren sucks. What's the fun in that? Find a different ****ing team to root for. I am pissed as hell that we lost that game. We blew it playoff Dodger style, sorry @Liver. It's frustrating. Dropped passes to the "best WR group we have had in twenty years" and O-line who was supposed to be great.

The Offense will get its act together. They will. The defense is young and needs to get to the QB. This team is fully capable of being a good team. Not a great team, but a good team. How many people were predicting us to be 10-2? We are going into the softest part of our Pac-12 schedule and we will get things rolling. I believe in it. And if I didn't, then what is the point of being a fan. We suffered through awful awful years for almost a decade. Enjoy watching the team, and don't harp on every little mistake. It gets so freaking old. We should've won tonight hands down to one of the most talented teams in the Pac-12. We had the ball down 7 with 2 minutes left in the third quarter to the number 6 team in the nation after two picks and a blocked punt. Chill out.

Why can't we focus on the positives. Montez had an awesome game. Other than the last play and underthrowing Fields after he had to scramble which through off his timing, there was not one bad throw. He played with guts and put out one of the more impressive games I have seen from a CU QB. Just chill out, enjoy the ride instead of bragging about who was right about us being terrible yada yada yada. We will still be 7-5 or 8-4. The recruiting has already gotten better and the program is here to stay.

Some people complain about everything. As you said, most fans on this site predicted what we are seeing in one way or another. If we lose to Arizona next week, then the flood gates should open. A lot to be concerned here, but CU is constantly making mental mistakes to either lose games, or make games closer than they should. I want to make a bowl game this year and I think that is still easily attainable. Think we take a big step forward in talent and depth next year.

damn post #74 looks on it

except the specific predictions, that guy is a moron when it comes to those

seriously though, people need to chill a bit. I'm not excited about losing to UW and UCLA, was hoping to split that part of the schedule, but it is what it is. We have 4 really winnable games in the next 5 weeks. Cal looking tougher than I thought they'd be headed into the season, but that's at home so we should pull it out.

It was a fun exciting game.

Couple missed opportunities

Defense was under par.

See what happens next week before I go on binge ax murder spree.

The only "dumb" mistake I made in my thread was stating that the loser mentality affected our offensive players and coaches. It obviously affects many of the fans too.

Feel free to be an excuse making pussy, but tonight was unacceptable to me. UCLA is a bunch of dirty cheap shot taking twat-waffles and we should have stepped on their throat when we had the chance.

We backed off. We lost. **** like this compounds. It affects recruiting which is NOT "better", it's flat. We need BIG wins. ON and OFF the field. I've heard enough excuses.

After a loss, typically I will stay away from twitter that night or any message boards. Tonight I was so bummed that I broke my rule of staying away. The "Loser Mentality" thread may have been the dumbest thing I have ever seen posted in my life. I would like to direct you to our season predictions at the beginning of the year: https://www.allbuffs.com/threads/2017-season-predictions-be-prepared-to-be-mocked-later.127829/

A majority of people predicted us to lose to both UDUB and UCLA. The Buffs are pretty much close to what we thought they were. Defense is a tad better, and the offense is underperforming. So what? It is so dumb to be high and mighty about being right that we "suck." Congrats you were right that our offense was overrated Lindgren sucks. What's the fun in that? Find a different ****ing team to root for. I am pissed as hell that we lost that game. We blew it playoff Dodger style, sorry @Liver. It's frustrating. Dropped passes to the "best WR group we have had in twenty years" and O-line who was supposed to be great.

The Offense will get its act together. They will. The defense is young and needs to get to the QB. This team is fully capable of being a good team. Not a great team, but a good team. How many people were predicting us to be 10-2? We are going into the softest part of our Pac-12 schedule and we will get things rolling. I believe in it. And if I didn't, then what is the point of being a fan. We suffered through awful awful years for almost a decade. Enjoy watching the team, and don't harp on every little mistake. It gets so freaking old. We should've won tonight hands down to one of the most talented teams in the Pac-12. We had the ball down 7 with 2 minutes left in the third quarter to the number 6 team in the nation after two picks and a blocked punt. Chill out.

Why can't we focus on the positives. Montez had an awesome game. Other than the last play and underthrowing Fields after he had to scramble which through off his timing, there was not one bad throw. He played with guts and put out one of the more impressive games I have seen from a CU QB. Just chill out, enjoy the ride instead of bragging about who was right about us being terrible yada yada yada. We will still be 7-5 or 8-4. The recruiting has already gotten better and the program is here to stay.
Honestly, some of it is just the disappointment you're reading fresh off a hard-to-take loss (to follow up a beating by a ranked team) but it's especially tough when you feel like things should be falling into place such that we can pull off wins against at least unranked conference teams, but we don't. I don't think we made nearly as many mistakes as we have in the past, but the past definitely colors how we see current failures.
I've got like PTSD from the rough stretch we had after I graduated in '04, and when you see flashes of what we COULD be and instead we piss the bed (even when sure, it could be just the ups and downs of college football) we tend to attribute it to holdover mentality from when we were legitimately an embarrassing mess.

The only "dumb" mistake I made in my thread was stating that the loser mentality affected our offensive players and coaches. It obviously affects many of the fans too.

Feel free to be an excuse making *****, but tonight was unacceptable to me. UCLA is a bunch of dirty cheap shot taking ****-waffles and we should have stepped on their throat when we had the chance.

We backed off. We lost. **** like this compounds. It affects recruiting which is NOT "better", it's flat. We need BIG wins. ON and OFF the field. I've heard enough excuses.
I wasn't disagreeing with what you were saying FYI. It's frustrating as ****. I was more commenting on a certain poster that is doom and gloom all the time and it just snowballed. I didn't state any excuses. We blew it. MacIntyre has been soft in his responses, the team is soft. But you have to be a moron to think our recruiting is flat. It's not great, but flat? Why don't you take a look at our 13-16 classes...

I wasn't disagreeing with what you were saying FYI. It's frustrating as ****. I was more commenting on a certain poster that is doom and gloom all the time and it just snowballed. I didn't state any excuses. We blew it. MacIntyre has been soft in his responses, the team is soft. But you have to be a moron to think our recruiting is flat. It's not great, but flat? Why don't you take a look at our 13-16 classes...

....so let me get this straight, your claim is Obama is NOT to blame?!

Now I've heard it all.

Actually this thread has been surprisingly uplifting. I feel better enough to avoid stumbling drunkenly to bed angry.

You're right. It's not flat, it's worse.

We have the 45th ranked recruiting class for 2018 with zero 4 stars. By the way, the class is almost full.

We had the 35th ranked class in 2017 with three 4 stars.

https://247sports.com/college/colorado/Season/2017-Football/Commits

Tonight was a chance to show why we belong in this conference. Why the players we recruit in California should come to CU. We blew it. It matters. Beating Arizona at home and Oregon State on the road mean little to those players.

In this biz, you recruit or you die.

You're right. It's not flat, it's worse.

We have the 45th ranked recruiting class for 2018 with zero 4 stars. By the way, the class is almost full.

We had the 35th ranked class in 2017 with three 4 stars.

https://247sports.com/college/colorado/Season/2017-Football/Commits

Tonight was a chance to show why we belong in this conference. Why the players we recruit in California should come to CU. We blew it. It matters. Beating Arizona at home and Oregon State on the road mean little to those players.

In this biz, you recruit or you die.
You're comparing a class with 29 commits compared to 17 commits. The average is off by .01... Cmon man. And did you miss the part where I said compare it to our 13-16 classes?

You're comparing a class with 29 commits compared to 17 commits. The average is off by .01... Cmon man. And did you miss the part where I said compare it to our 13-16 classes?

Ok so then it's flat? WTF...

In my opinion, even flat is not acceptable. We are either getting 'Better' or getting worse.

It all depends on what you expect from the program. I believe CU has the ability to get back to prominence. Meaning we always finish in the top 25 and once every 4 years or so, we make a run at the playoff.

Currently, I'd say we're trending towards a team that is a fringe top 40 team who occasionally overachieves with lesser talent and wins 10 games like we did last year.

I said 13-16 jesus christ dude. You are smarter than this. Nice cliche with getting better or worse. I was born in 1994, so I don't expect much from the program if that helps you put a perspective on everything.

Yeah, they rank #4 in total offense and #14 in scoring offense, scoring over 41/game, and that's after CU held them to 24 points. The defense played pretty well.
I know that people love to hate on the coaches but it is so awesome to watch our defensive backs. Really well coached and some great talent back there. So many of rosens completions yesterday were in tight windows with guys all over the receiver and those type of plays won't happen against other teams.

I know that people love to hate on the coaches but it is so awesome to watch our defensive backs. Really well coached and some great talent back there. So many of rosens completions yesterday were in tight windows with guys all over the receiver and those type of plays won't happen against other teams.
I thought they had a few coverage breakdowns where guys were running wide open, but outside of that, they played pretty well against the best QB in the country.

I thought they had a few coverage breakdowns where guys were running wide open, but outside of that, they played pretty well against the best QB in the country.
Definitely and that's going to happen when there is a lack of pass rush and you are having to blitz to try and disrupt Rosen. Just liked the way they competed.

The only deficiency I saw on defense was the inability to generate any sort of pass rush. Coverage was good and run defense was good. Giving Rosen to much time costs you, because he can make throws no one else in college can.

I appreciate your overall theme of “don’t overreact.”

The issue is when is the offense going to get its act together? With 3 games left?

For me, the most frustrating part is the pure stupidity when it comes to the play calling and play design. We were successful almost all night on power runs up the middle. And for some reason we refused to stick with it. UCLA was gassed in the fourth and we continued to bail them out by throwing after multiple successful runs.

When you go on the road and hold an offense like that to 27 points, force a turnover and don’t commit one, and are playing against a bad defense, what is the excuse to lose?

I appreciate your overall theme of “don’t overreact.”

The issue is when is the offense going to get its act together? With 3 games left?

For me, the most frustrating part is the pure stupidity when it comes to the play calling and play design. We were successful almost all night on power runs up the middle. And for some reason we refused to stick with it. UCLA was gassed in the fourth and we continued to bail them out by throwing after multiple successful runs.

When you go on the road and hold an offense like that to 27 points, force a turnover and don’t commit one, and are playing against a bad defense, what is the excuse to lose?
It's not really an excuse we just don't have a very good offense at the moment and most of it comes down to o line play. So looking at it logically, the other units on that side of the ball can't make mistakes if they want to play well and overcome the issues up front and last night the receivers had a couple dropped touchdowns. It is what it is.

Back