What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez sucks...time to move on...

I am not shocked by how Montez has looked. He is a QB who has trouble adjusting at the line and seems to lack the internal fire of a good leader that inspires players to win. You win or lose games based on how your lines stack up and the Buff’s are below average. Montez should be benched to see what we have, but I doubt that will happen. For a decade plus we are in the same position of treading water and eventually failing. It is likely CU will never return to those glory days but what needs to happen is the ending these types of embarrassing games.

Cursed.....one decent season in 15 years. HCMT has some soul searching to do..his coaching staff is not good right now....

The down and distance lack of awareness is mind blowing... how many times do we finally complete a pass on A third and long? To come up a yard short.
So frustrating

I'm okay with Montez starting the rest of the way. He put in the work and nobody took the job from him, but we need to see what we have. I don't know if we give the backup a series or two or a quarter every game, but we need to find out who can play on this roster at all positions, especially QB.
Minimum of a quarter, each, intentionally. They need to know they are getting the 1st and 3rd, get to run the full offense, get to, GASP, THROW the ball more than as a last ditch attempt in a game that is already over.

The biggest surprise to me is how boring the O is. We all knew the D was going to be awful but that offense is stone age.
Bring in an someone with head coaching experience to run the offense please.
There are high schools in mediocre football states who run way more intricate offenses that this piece of **** game plan.

I've seen Wash State four games this season and this is the first game Leach outcoached and up-coached his team to outperform the opponents. In the losses, Wash State looked worthy of "worst team in organized sports" at times. Suddenly, they're 'great'. Against one certain team. sigh

The biggest surprise to me is how boring the O is. We all knew the D was going to be awful but that offense is stone age.
There are high schools in mediocre football states who run way more intricate offenses that this piece of **** game plan.
I always find this kind of opinion strange. Not scoring many points is boring, but that doesn’t mean the scheme is simplistic and Stone Age.

Well, we should've had a hell of a lot more points than 10. We all know the reasons why, so I'll leave that alone. The staff put the backup QBs in a no win situation. I think one of them should've started the second half, just my opinion.

Bienemy? I kid, obviously...maybe, probably

Not sure what his argument will be for remaining the starter, other than nobody else being ready. Sitting him down might also light a fire under Steven too. USC is looking really good right now, so the USC game is looking like a mismatch, plain and simple. Maybe coming off the bench is what he needs to get that smirk off his face. That is getting a little old. Do you ever get angry at failure, young man? Most people do.

I was thinking from a recruiting standpoint. Opposing coaches will spin it to say that Colorado will bench you if you make a mistake but at our University, we will coach you through your mistakes so you won't make them again.

Montez has earned time on the bench. Even when we get 'good montez' it's usually only for one half. Time to give stenstrom or lytle if healthy a start

montez deserves to sit....if for no other reason than his poor demeanor....i think the coaches would have made a change if we had a 1A option waiting in the wings...obviously we dont

I was thinking from a recruiting standpoint. Opposing coaches will spin it to say that Colorado will bench you if you make a mistake but at our University, we will coach you through your mistakes so you won't make them again.
After 3 1/2 years of same old same old? Not like he doesn't have a body of work.

If we’re going to bench Montez I’d rather do it now and get Lytle or Stenstrom as many practice reps as possible ahead of Friday. That may not be practical on a short week so maybe that switch happens leading to UCLA on the road (barring a good performance from Montez). The mop up duty is certainly better than nothing but it’s a tough spot for those guys.

He's not getting benched. They didn't bring in Lytle when Montez was throwing picks back to back all over the place against Oregon and the game was well out of reach. And against Wazzu it was clear they didn't bring in the backup until the game was over, so they brought them in and just ran out the clock.

Seems pretty obvious they won't be heading into next year really considering Lytle or Stenstrom for QB. It's Lewis and/or grad transfer.

He's not getting benched. They didn't bring in Lytle when Montez was throwing picks back to back all over the place against Oregon and the game was well out of reach. And against Wazzu it was clear they didn't bring in the backup until the game was over, so they brought them in and just ran out the clock.

Seems pretty obvious they won't be heading into next year really considering Lytle or Stenstrom for QB. It's Lewis and/or grad transfer.
Probably so. I was looking ahead thinking that if we pick up our 7th loss against Stanford we have 2 weeks before Washington - would be nice to give someone else 2 weeks to prepare for a start but then again 1) It’s senior day, and 2) Washington is not a QB friendly first start so seems likely we see Montez the rest of the way with hopefully some spot duty for the other guys.

I’m not going to defend Montez 100% here ... yes, he misses open receivers way too often, makes zero reads and panics too much. But our play calling is baffling sometimes and does him no favors. We averaged 5 yards per carry yesterday. We needed to keep them off the field and get their defense sucked up to the line and run play action. Throwing isn’t the only way you get back into a game.

I’m not going to defend Montez 100% here ... yes, he misses open receivers way too often, makes zero reads and panics too much. But our play calling is baffling sometimes and does him no favors. We averaged 5 yards per carry yesterday. We needed to keep them off the field and get their defense sucked up to the line and run play action. Throwing isn’t the only way you get back into a game.
It is when you’re down 3 TDs and it’s late in the 3Q

Probably so. I was looking ahead thinking that if we pick up our 7th loss against Stanford we have 2 weeks before Washington - would be nice to give someone else 2 weeks to prepare for a start but then again 1) It’s senior day, and 2) Washington is not a QB friendly first start so seems likely we see Montez the rest of the way with hopefully some spot duty for the other guys.

Who cares about either of those? This program needs to worry about 2020 more than kissing Montez's *** on senior day or how good the UW defense is.

How do you know it was the playcalling? Barnett mentioned several times that receivers were wide open and Steven didn't throw it to the open receiver. How about the obvious slant that was wide open a few weeks ago? It might be he reads defenses like stevie wonder.

That's why real teams don't hire CONSULTANTS. You hire COACHES. Johnson couldn't get on a staff as OC for a reason.

Even when the 1st read is open and the pocket is clean, Montez is a roll of the dice on whether he'll step into the throw, delivering it on time and accurately.

When the 1st read is not open and/or there is some pressure, Montez is pretty horrible except for that 1 play he makes every now and then that's outside the play book.

Wet ball throws was my frustration!
He cannot throw a wet cold ball?
That should have been practiced and fixed! Wear a glove, step in the throw, anything.
4-5 obvious overthrow slippery balls

Back