What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez sucks...time to move on...

I have to believe, and expect, that once the game film is reviewed, HCMT and Steven Montez are going to have an adult conversation about his commitment to preparation and execution. If that clip of him laughing after throwing a ground ball to the flat is reviewed, I would expect there to be some disciplinary action taken.

I have to believe, and expect, that once the game film is reviewed, HCMT and Steven Montez are going to have an adult conversation about his commitment to preparation and execution. If that clip of him laughing after throwing a ground ball to the flat is reviewed, I would expect there to be some disciplinary action taken.
Of all things to pick on, that’s an odd one to choose. I have many a time laughed out of frustration. It’s not like he thought it was funny he was pissed. Would you prefer he starts pouting and shove guys like at the end of the game?

I'm sure he starts too. Want to bet that the moment he ****s up we start hearing the boos?

You could be right but I hope not. I am as frustrated as anyone over SM ineptitude but I would never boo the kid. We should never boo the kids. I would say it's ok to boo the coaching staff except it could be misunderstood as booing the kids so I probably wouldn't do that either.

Honestly, I just feel bad for SM. You know he is suffering over this more than anyone.

Of all things to pick on, that’s an odd one to choose. I have many a time laughed out of frustration. It’s not like he thought it was funny he was pissed. Would you prefer he starts pouting and shove guys like at the end of the game?
Do you really think he was pissed? Seriously? Come on, man.

You could be right but I hope not. I am as frustrated as anyone over SM ineptitude but I would never boo the kid. We should never boo the kids. I would say it's ok to boo the coaching staff except it could be misunderstood as booing the kids so I probably wouldn't do that either.

Honestly, I just feel bad for SM. You know he is suffering over this more than anyone.

Actually, I don't know, which is a big part of the issue.

Why exactly do you feel bad for him? He got a great opportunity, and didn't improve his craft. That is not all coaching, most of it is simply on him. You either put in the work and give a damn, or you don't, there is no grey area. If he's suffering so bad, get your ass to work so you won't be. End of the day, I hope he gets his degree, if he doesn't have it already?

Why exactly do you feel bad for him? He got a great opportunity, and didn't improve his craft. That is not all coaching, most of it is simply on him. You either put in the work and give a damn, or you don't, there is no grey area. If he's suffering so bad, get your ass to work so you won't be. End of the day, I hope he gets his degree, if he doesn't have it already?
I’ve been assured that college degrees are worthless.

(see the “California law passed saying CFB players can make money playing CFB thread”)

montez is not a natural leader...never has been....last spring, " will montez declare early for the nfl draft?" very different from sefo's attitude and actions...a qb's body language is critical...like it or not..he is the on the field commander...not montez' strong point...he has that deer in the headlights look and very little chemistry with his receiving corp...

I was thinking from a recruiting standpoint. Opposing coaches will spin it to say that Colorado will bench you if you make a mistake but at our University, we will coach you through your mistakes so you won't make them again.
Stevie Wonder can see that Montez has been given every opportunity to succeed here. We know what we have with Montez - a guy who has all the physical skills and none of the intangibles needed to win consistently.
Time to move on. We can lose our last five games with him or without him. Right now. It’s looking very unlikely that we make a bowl game. That’s because Montez has **** the bed against three very beatable teams.

montez is not a natural leader...never has been....last spring, " will montez declare early for the nfl draft?" very different from sefo's attitude and actions...a qb's body language is critical...like it or not..he is the on the field commander...not montez' strong point...he has that deer in the headlights look and very little chemistry with his receiving corp...
Not only is Montez not a natural leader, this team suffers from lack of player-led leadership. MT has sent several hints, even nudges, for someone to step up. Nobody has. That’s a problem, Montez notwithstanding.

Well, we are all the dumbasses for thinking he could get it done. But let’s be honest.

Jim Jeffcoat. The DL coach that couldn’t recruit his way out of a wet paper bag, has the honor of recruiting the best QB we have had to put out in the field....FOR THREE WHOLE YEARS.

Think about that. And then why the current staff has problems makes more sense. (Not that they are without fault)
You are a wise man FIB.

I never called for somebody else until Saturday. SM looks the part, has a cannon arm, but cannot see the field. I do think having to run for his life 60 % of the time he drops back has not helped, but he simply locks on and does not see other WIDE OPEN WR's. When CU drops number 7, he should be done for his CU career. Time to see what is on the roster for next year. Until they drop 7, they should mix in a series here and there for Lytle and Stenstrom, no reason not to.

BTW, is Lytle hurt, or did he just get banged up?

Last edited:
Do you really think he was pissed? Seriously? Come on, man.
You're right he has fun missing throws and losing games. He might not have the drive/work ethic to improve as we've seen over the past 3 years but assuming that he thought it was funny and he wasn't pissed about missing those throws is ignorant.

Not disagreeing with any of the above judgments on the young man, but it is worth pointing out that he rarely has a fully-formed pocked from which to throw. Announcers puke on their ties over guys who have all day to throw, but let's see how good they play with no protection. The next level usually settles that.

On the bright side, I'm confident Mel understands the vast talent gap we have on the lines, OL in particular. Until he demonstrates that he's changing this situation to quality QB recruits, he won't get them to play here. High school QB's with any pro aspirations better be looking at the state of the offensive line they'll be playing behind, otherwise they're getting bad advice.

I'm all for getting the younger QB's reps this year, but the QB position will not win us games this year. A running game identity is our only chance to turn this wreck around.

Agree with the running game + Viska playing are the chance to turn the offensive wreck around. Also, the defense has step-up some. CU can't play decent teams from behind. I never liked that WSU game on the road. I was surprised they did not make a QB switch at halftime, in hopes to get SM right and see what the 2nd stringers can do. That being said, I'm not sure any of the back-ups would have had much more success. I agree that it is SM for the season. I liked Neil Wolke's game summary. It will be interesting to see how MT and company recruit the QB position. I think there is some truth that a HS pro-style recruit will have some trouble at CU, unless the Oline is substantially upgraded. A dual-threat QB may be the way forward.

Your “paraphrasing” is making the counter position seem silly so it’s easy to knock down. That’s a straw person argument.
No one made the argument that a college education is worthless.
Sigh....how bout we just agree that you’re right, it seems like you missed the point/joke and it means a lot to you, and I’m fine with that.

I’m also fine with you having the last word, so let’s get it out of the way so the thread can get back to talking about our QB woes.

You're right he has fun missing throws and losing games. He might not have the drive/work ethic to improve as we've seen over the past 3 years but assuming that he thought it was funny and he wasn't pissed about missing those throws is ignorant.
On this we will forever disagree. Actions speak louder than words and they tell me he couldn’t care less.

Sigh....how bout we just agree that you’re right, it seems like you missed the point/joke and it means a lot to you, and I’m fine with that.

I’m also fine with you having the last word, so let’s get it out of the way so the thread can get back to talking about our QB woes.
It didn’t seem like a joke. If it was, the joke wasn’t funny since there wasn’t any truth to your statement.

QB woes it is...

according to Broncos fans you’re a bad fan if you do that.

I love the Broncos as much as anybody (probably post in our Bronco thread daily) but there's a portion of that fanbase who just doesn't have a ****ing clue lol. Saturday was eye-opening ineptitude from Stevie-that defense is awful, and his QB rating was the worst of his CU career. Lots of talk about Mel implementing a culture he wants here-if he's truly doing that, and if he's the coach we think he is, I'm sure Mel had a Come to Jesus conversation with Stevie after the team came back from Pullman.

I love the Broncos as much as anybody (probably post in our Bronco thread daily) but there's a portion of that fanbase who just doesn't have a ****ing clue lol. Saturday was eye-opening ineptitude from Stevie-that defense is awful, and his QB rating was the worst of his CU career. Lots of talk about Mel implementing a culture he wants here-if he's truly doing that, and if he's the coach we think he is, I'm sure Mel had a Come to Jesus conversation with Stevie after the team came back from Pullman.

let’s hope so!

I am going under the assumption that neither Lytle nor Stenstrom is the answer.

Therefore, I'd continue to roll with Montez through the end of the year.

Reason 1: He gives the team the best chance to win. Keeping the locker room engaged is a lot easier when you're coaching to win.

Reason 2: Assuming that the 2020 QB is not on the roster, there's no benefit to showcasing someone. Doing so could actually become a negative if he doesn't play horribly and a potential grad transfer sees a situation at CU where there is job competition from more than Lewis.

:rolleyes:

Yeah, when in doubt, just blame the OL for everything.
You mean the OL that's allowed the 20th fewest sacks of any OL in the country? To your point, Montez' play is on Montez.

Also, I thought this was interesting. Here are Montez' per game averages by year (best bolded):
YearCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRate Rush AttRush YdsYPCTD
9.2​
15.6​
59%​
120​
7.70​
7.40​
1.00​
138​
5.8​
25.67​
0.11​
19.0​
31.4​
60%​
1.50​
0.75​
2.6​
21.5​
33.3​
65%​
237​
7.10​
7.10​
0.75​
135.8​
7.8​
19.83​
2.5​
64%​
246​
7.20​
6.50​
1.43​
1.14​
131.1​
4.0​
5.00​
1.3​
0.00​

The fact that he's pretty much not progressed in a single category in 4 years and has regressed in many is telling.

You mean the OL that's allowed the 20th fewest sacks of any OL in the country? To your point, Montez' play is on Montez.

Also, I thought this was interesting. Here are Montez' per game averages by year (best bolded):
YearCmpAttPctYdsY/AAY/ATDIntRateRush AttRush YdsYPCTD
9.2​
15.6​
59%​
120​
7.70​
7.40​
1.00​
138​
5.8​
25.67​
0.11​
19.0​
31.4​
60%​
1.50​
0.75​
2.6​
21.5​
33.3​
65%​
237​
7.10​
7.10​
0.75​
135.8​
7.8​
19.83​
2.5​
64%​
246​
7.20​
6.50​
1.43​
1.14​
131.1​
4.0​
5.00​
1.3​
0.00​
The fact that he's pretty much not progressed in a single category in 4 years and has regressed in many is telling.
when you look at it like this, wow. ugh.

I am going under the assumption that neither Lytle nor Stenstrom is the answer.

Therefore, I'd continue to roll with Montez through the end of the year.

Reason 1: He gives the team the best chance to win. Keeping the locker room engaged is a lot easier when you're coaching to win.

Reason 2: Assuming that the 2020 QB is not on the roster, there's no benefit to showcasing someone. Doing so could actually become a negative if he doesn't play horribly and a potential grad transfer sees a situation at CU where there is job competition from more than Lewis.
True, but it could also show recruits that MT is like MM and hawk, and will play underperforming upperclassman regardless of performance.

Back