What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Montez’s 2018 Season - Thoughts?

Yeah, I remember the complete beat down I took when I suggested we didn't have the best in the universe WR Corp or something like that. Need to find that thread because I took undue heat in that one and it's payback time!!!
That was a great WR corp last year. The issue with them was not their ability but that they were distracted, showed no leadership and lost their edge. That's not stuff that we could have predicted after the 2016 season.

That was a great WR corp last year. The issue with them was not their ability but that they were distracted, showed no leadership and lost their edge. That's not stuff that we could have predicted after the 2016 season.
Great is relative. They were great compared to what we had become used to. They were not top couple in the PAC12 (ever). Solid, but not great.

Great is relative. They were great compared to what we had become used to. They were not top couple in the PAC12 (ever). Solid, but not great.

Last years group had talent but lacked the intangibles.

Their performance last year may have been an indication of how important Sefo's leadership was in our 10 win season.

Need to find that thread because I took undue heat in that one and it's payback time!!!
Yea, please find it bitch!

4d51602d9fea5b816879ad2a4dc9498223abbfaf_00.gif

2016 was a break thru year for our WR corp, but some people went overboad last year. There was discussions of Fields being a 2nd round draft choice on here. There was also this:

Probably over-rated. They should be 5th maybe

Top 5 was over zealous and I think everyone can now agree on that.

2016 was a break thru year for our WR corp, but some people went overboad last year. There was discussions of Fields being a 2nd round draft choice on here. There was also this:

Top 5 was over zealous and I think everyone can now agree on that.
You ended up being correct in your assertion, but for reasons unrelated to the talent level of that group. They got a well deserved reputation in 2016 for being a productive and big time play making group. Their underwhelming performance in 2017 was due to inflated egos, the feeling of having “arrived”, and selfish, draft stock-improving attitudes. Regardless, I will admit that you were one of the only ones calling BS on that group.

So Montez not being named a captain, is this telling or is this a non issue? To me it's a little telling, the guy has all the talent you could ask for and it seems like the focus just isn't there. He's a junior he's eligible for the draft and you know the nfl would fall in love with that arm talent.

I think it's a sign of maturity and I look forward to seeing what happens in August that will make everyone better.

Completely meaningless. Performance is all that matters. You guys love your cliches.
Your head is in the sand on this issue. It doesn’t mean he’s not going to perform well, but it does mean his teammates don’t view him as one of the team leaders, and that can cause issues during the season.

I'm on the record as stating the QB doesn't have to be a leader. Looking to others for leadership is weak sauce IMO. Especially vocal leaders.

Looking to others for leadership is “weak sauce”? Do you understand the concept of leading vs following?
Yeah. Don't be a follower. This likely boils down to Minted just not being everyone's cup of tea. A lot of these things have nothing to do with football.

I can agree that your QB doesn't have to be your leader. He does have to have some of the respect of guys and I hope that is the case.

The offensive captains all are seniors with the exception of Haigler who will be a starter for the 3rd consecutive season.

I spoke with a member of the CU coaching staff last night, sense is that the coaching staff genuinely believes that #12 has the ability to be a first round draft pick. It'll be an interesting season....he has the tools to be a top tier QB. If our WR's hang onto balls at UCLA, and ASU, and we don't knock UA's starter out in the first quarter, the view on Montez is a guy who lead us to an 8-4 record and a bowl game. I've got Montez down for 3,700 and 25 TD's.

I spoke with a member of the CU coaching staff last night, sense is that the coaching staff genuinely believes that #12 has the ability to be a first round draft pick. It'll be an interesting season....he has the tools to be a top tier QB. If our WR's hang onto balls at UCLA, and ASU, and we don't knock UA's starter out in the first quarter, the view on Montez is a guy who lead us to an 8-4 record and a bowl game. I've got Montez down for 3,700 and 25 TD's.
That potential is what has me so excited about the coming season. A lot has to come together with unknowns with this team, but I see a path to a South title and/or Top 20 type season that doesn't require any craziness in order for it to happen. #1 on the list of things that has to come together is Montez looking like he has for stretches as a starter.

If Patrick Mahomes is a 1st round draft pick, Montez definitely has the potential to be there as well. His physical tool set is on par with anyone in the country, as it relates to what NFL teams are looking for, so it all relies on the mental side of things.

Back