What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

National Semifinals thread

When Coker has a stat line like this (25-30, 286, 2-0), Alabama cannot be beaten.

Well at least this year I think most people have to agree that the two best teams will be playing in the championship. Will be interesting to see the Bama defense match up with the uptempo clemson offense. As much as people talk down about the acc they have a good chance to win the NC 2 of the last 3 years

Exactly this. #1 vs #2. Didn't even need a playoffs to determine the championship contenders.

Eh. I had it wrong. Prolly won't be the last time.

I suppose the big integer conference was a wee bit overrated by the national media. Maybe a hold over affect from blowhio state's #4-to-championship run last year?

The local media around the okc/Norman area will be a hoot on monday. I'm sure there will be tried but true excuses thrown out, along with the "big game Bob has gotta go" mantra. It could get very entertaining.

Can I just get in one more post about how having these on NYE was a bad idea? This is a sport that has lost many rivalries because of expansion, but God forbid we ask the rose bowl and conferences affiliated with it to move their game

Can I just get in one more post about how having these on NYE was a bad idea? This is a sport that has lost many rivalries because of expansion, but God forbid we ask the rose bowl and conferences affiliated with it to move their game

And the Sugar Bowl is now acting like the 8 Eastern time slot on NYD is their birth right and a tradition. SEC politicking won out.

I do believe that a year or two of bad ratings will probably set things in motion a little. Last year´s ratings broke all kinds of records, yesterday´s will be down. I see nothing wrong with putting the games on the 2nd unless it conflicts with the NFL.

Next year, New Year Day is on Sunday. how will that effect the bowl games?

Michigan State had a good season but they never looked like a dominating team the times I watched them. The result of the Alabama game was not a total surprise.

I was surprised that Oklahoma was favored over Clemson. I was impressed how Clemson came out in the second half.

Isn't ESPN just as much if not more to blame? They made the choice to schedule the games when they did. They could have just as easily run the games concurrently with each other - they just wanted to milk every last drop of ratings out of the NY6, and it screwed them.

Isn't ESPN just as much if not more to blame? They made the choice to schedule the games when they did. They could have just as easily run the games concurrently with each other - they just wanted to milk every last drop of ratings out of the NY6, and it screwed them.

There is no reason to run the games concurrently. The teams deserve their own stage.

And ESPN did not schedule the games, that was the playoff committee.

There is no reason to run the games concurrently. The teams deserve their own stage.

And ESPN did not schedule the games, that was the playoff committee.
Yep. Don't want both games being played concurrently.

ESPN tried to get them moved. Problem is that a) the Rose Bowl thinks it has a birth right to its 2pm Pacific slot and b) the Sugar has laid claim to the prime time slot on NYD. If the Sugar moves, they can play Semi - Rose Bowl - Semi, but as long as those 2 cannot be convinced to move, we´re stuck with the status quo.

I may not totally agree with them, but the Rose Bowl IS a big deal. They are using their clout because they can.

The solution is pretty easy. Playoff Committee just has to swallow their pride.

Rose Bowl was a big deal. Sorry. It has to take a back seat now.

It's still a good accomplishment, but for this year no one can argue that it's something special. The game has been diluted with the playoffs. Here used to be only 1 bigger game, now there are 3 in off years.

I may not totally agree with them, but the Rose Bowl IS a big deal. They are using their clout because they can.

The solution is pretty easy. Playoff Committee just has to swallow their pride.

ESPN also didn't oppose the decision to move the semis to NYE. TV drives EVERYTHING in this sport and the only people who were happy with the ratings were the people behind Ryan Seacrest's show. If ESPN had said no, we think our ratings will be better if the semis are on 1/1, you better believe the playoff committee and the bowls would have given in. Let me rant about this a bit:

As far as this year, these games were awful-the closest of these six was the Peach, and Houston was playing a beat up Florida State team that acted like it didn't want anything to do with that game. Why is the Sugar Bowl entitled to the Big 12 runner-up if it doesn't get the champ or a semifinal? Not only that, why does that relationship exist in the first place? I don't get that-Oklahoma State was pasted by Baylor and Oklahoma. How they got to go there because TCU beat Baylor is beyond me. Part of me thinks we would have gotten two much more compelling football games Friday had Ohio State and Iowa flip-flopped, but hindsight is 20-20. Don't force these games to take runners-up if they don't want them and there is a compelling alternative, as was the case with Ohio State, and arguably TCU. If you think the Rose Bowl wouldn't have preferred Ohio State to Iowa, you're kidding yourself.
As far as the argument that the Rose Bowl threw its weight around or still has clout......that doesn't hold water. That game and especially the tradition behind it lost some of its luster with the advent of the BCS and the TV money behind that. Anybody remember that Rose Bowl classic between Oklahoma and Wazzu? Yeah, neither do I. College Football should learn this valuable lesson: You aren't the NFL. The NFL can play whereever and whenever it wants because its the NFL. College Football, while it might be 2nd ahead of everything not called the NFL, is a distant 2nd, and nowhere near as powerful in American Sports as the NFL.

The next two years, this conversation is null and void. New Year's Day in 2017 falls on a Sunday, and week 17 of next year's NFL season is scheduled to take place on that day. Currently, the Rose, Sugar, and Cotton Bowls are scheduled to play January 2 while the Peach and Fiesta (semis) are scheduled for NYE. I guarantee that if you flipped the semis to 1/2 you'd get ratings through the roof, just like you did last year.

There are ways to make this work in a way that gets both Semis on New Year's Day, which is where they should be-Move the Rose Bowl to the morning and start the NY6 an hour later, make the Rose and/or Sugar permanent semifinals, sandwich the Rose between the semis, or whatever. Don't try and force people to stay home and watch the CFP on a night where people are out getting plowed. This sport owns New Year's Day, and its got the entire country at its beck and call because Americans love football and are hungover on NYD. It didn't work this year, and it won't next year

Back