What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NBA (and other pro league) Buffs

George King | Defensive combo forward | Colorado | Age: 24.2
One of the oldest players to take the floor in Portsmouth, King impressed with his outstanding physical profile, defensive versatility and steadily improving shooting stroke. From a physical perspective, King is the one PIT prospect easiest to project to the NBA game at 6-6 with high shoulders, a 7-0 wingspan and a shredded 212-pound frame, resembling a longer Joey Graham or K.J. McDaniels.

King’s NBA value comes on the defensive end, as he can defend up to four positions in the modern game, starting on wings, sliding up to small-ball 4s and switching ball screens comfortably. He’s an active rebounder with a strong compete level and plus athleticism, and the fact that he made 7-of-11 3s bodes well for his draft stock and future, helping to answer questions about the validity of his 39.5 percent clip last year at Colorado.

Despite his scoring average at the PIT, the elderly King, who tested the NBA draft waters last offseason, isn’t the most refined offensive player with a rigid handle, below average feel for the game, a flat, straight-legged jumper and sometimes-shaky touch in the paint. With around three times as many career turnovers as assists, King doesn’t read the game at a high level and certainly benefited from a helter-skelter style and his physical maturity in Portsmouth. His defensive instincts leave something to be desired, as he averaged only 1.2 combined steals and blocks per 40 minutes over the course of his career.

With that said, players with his physical profile, activity and defensive versatility aren’t easy to find, and he can continue to solidify a potential second-round selection or undrafted signee status by shooting the ball well and answering questions about his feel in the pre-draft process.

Pretty spot on scouting report for George with one big exception: "His defensive instincts leave something to be desired, as he averaged only 1.2 combined steals and blocks per 40 minutes over the course of his career." That doesn't take style of play into context at all, looking at combined steals and blocks to determine defensive instincts. I think his instincts on defense are one of the strongest parts of his game. Excited for him that it seems like he might have a legit shot at finding a home on an NBA roster.

Pretty spot on scouting report for George with one big exception: "His defensive instincts leave something to be desired, as he averaged only 1.2 combined steals and blocks per 40 minutes over the course of his career." That doesn't take style of play into context at all, looking at combined steals and blocks to determine defensive instincts. I think his instincts on defense are one of the strongest parts of his game. Excited for him that it seems like he might have a legit shot at finding a home on an NBA roster.

Steals and blocks are sometimes the sign of a guy recovering after giving up possession and/or position to the guy he is guarding. GK as a defender is better at denying his man the ball in the first place or in forcing guys away from where they want to be on the floor.

I like him as a player but honestly don't see him as an NBA player. I do see him being very successful and making a lot of money in a higher level international league.

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...ty-thunder-grand-plan-comes-crashing-halt-nba

There's some context, with starting shooting guard and Defensive Player of the Year contender Andre Roberson lost for the season in January, right as the Thunder were starting to roll. They had to reconfigure again and eventually signed Corey Brewer off the buyout market as a stopgap.

The Thunder miss Roberson, but it's for all the reasons the Jazz gleefully exposed in six games. He played in the margin, cleaning up the details the Thunder so often took for granted. He made extra efforts, covered for defensive lapses and haphazard gambles, and was the difference between a 97.6 and a 107.1 defensive rating. Roberson's injury dramatically shifted both the Thunder's floor and their ceiling.

You mean, except for Derrick White...

Completely disagree. Anyone watching our game against Arizona in the Pac12 Tournament saw that White was a first round talent, or at the very least worth a draft pick. White was going to get selected at some point, and I imagine there were more teams than just the Spurs that were contemplating him in the late 1st. King was not even on the draft radar imo, but his Portsmouth play has gotten him a chance. I still think he's an UFA, but I'm not sure he was even going to get a sniff from any NBA teams prior to Portsmouth.

Completely disagree. Anyone watching our game against Arizona in the Pac12 Tournament saw that White was a first round talent, or at the very least worth a draft pick. White was going to get selected at some point, and I imagine there were more teams than just the Spurs that were contemplating him in the late 1st. King was not even on the draft radar imo, but his Portsmouth play has gotten him a chance. I still think he's an UFA, but I'm not sure he was even going to get a sniff from any NBA teams prior to Portsmouth.

Agree with this.

I also don't expect King to be in the NBA. Never say never because he could find the right situation and a coach that really likes him but odds are against him.

What Portsmouth has likely done though is move him into a substantially higher paying league in Europe should he choose to go overseas instead of staying in the D league.

Agree with this.

You both are entitled to your opinions. But if you read back without 20/20 vision you'll see he desperately needed a good pre-draft process:

https://www.allbuffs.com/threads/derrick-white-invited-to-nba-combine.126276/#post-2214431

Does that mean Derrick White wasn't better than George King? Of course not. We all know he was. But the guy played one year in Div 1 basketball (coming from Colorado Springs).

Last edited:
You both are entitled to your opinions. But if you read back without 20/20 vision you'll see he desperately needed a good pre-draft process:

https://www.allbuffs.com/threads/derrick-white-invited-to-nba-combine.126276/#post-2214431

Does that mean Derrick White wasn't better than George King? Of course not. We all know he was. But the guy played one year in Div 1 basketball (coming from Colorado Springs).

The thread you have linked and the links in it consistently had DWhite getting drafted, only question was were would he land in the first or the second. Coming out of the Buffs season this year almost nobody expected to be mentioning GK and the draft in the same sentence, he was off the radar.

The thread you have linked and the links in it consistently had DWhite getting drafted, only question was were would he land in the first or the second. Coming out of the Buffs season this year almost nobody expected to be mentioning GK and the draft in the same sentence, he was off the radar.

I can't find the links before the combine was announced. But not worth arguing anymore.

Congrats to King!

This quote is from the thread that Birch quoted, which I agree does NOT agree with his memory. Go Scotch! Nice call on the Spurs - rep!

The question was whether he'd go in the first round or not. He was just too good to go undrafted.

Back