What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA Settlement - Salary Cap & Back Payment of NIL to Former Players

Not sure if anyone has said this, but get ready to see almost all varsity sports go away. Most schools are going to have nothing but football and men's basketball, with the requisite number of women's sports to stay in compliance.

Things like swimming, cross country, track, wrestling, baseball, etc - there's not going to be enough money left over. Title IX is the only thing that will save women's sports at all.

Without competitive women's sports, Colorado or any other school will never see another dime of my money.
I think some sports will likely be cut. But the revenue side will also improve IMO via new TV deal, sponsorships, ticket sales. Donations will actually increase IMO which will help the budget shortfall caused by revenue distribution. RG will need to sharpen his financial skills and get after it. I’m no predicting stripping down to three or four sports.

Having Rick George at the helm trying to navigate us through this has me extremely unconfident. He will likely **** it up.

And I’ll be ready to change his thread title back to “Fire RG” as it should be.
The new Chancellor at CU, Justin Schwartz, is very capable. He was the Provost at Penn State, and is deeply familiar NIL, from a school with a $13 million and growing collective, and separate collectives for baseball, ice hockey, etc. A friend of mine and big Buff fan sat with a group with Schwartz at the PSU/Michigan game, and he believes Todd Saliman hit a homerun with this hire. We're finally going to have someone in the Chancellor's job who pulls the right way, understands what's going on in power-sports, and sees the connection of successful athletics with top tier academics. He's not going to just support RG. He's going to push him, or presumably replace him if need be.

or presumably replace him if need be.
Season 7 Nbc GIF by The Office

I am not fan of RG, but what is to you so strongly dislike about him (other than the constant contractual ****-ups)?
Claims to be a big time booster (or at least knows a lot of big time boosters) but can't afford barzil. Shame

Without competitive women's sports, Colorado or any other school will never see another dime of my money.
I have touted the same business model as the Bundesliga for the future of CU Sports
The School can own 51% or more of each and every sport that can successfully come up with a business model that allows for professional operation of each sport
Having the Athletic Department try and run all the sports with the idea of Football and Basketball Arms races and with the potential to cut sports is stupid
The University can manage the Public-Private-Partnership for each program within a specific set of operational guidelines.
The Women's sports can be designed to operate independently, and if they can facilitate a properly running operation by paying expenses and the players, then so be it. If the programs can plan for their operational budgets, and sell shares to raise funds in order to have all the money needed long term success.
I would also be a big fan of giving former, current, and future players equity in the program, so it can help pay the House costs.
I would agree that dropping programs to balance a budget is shortsighted.
This model in coordination with Prime and possibly SMAC would be a powerful weapon to help pay the previous fines and to pay current and future players.
ALL sports need to coordinate for a level playing field when it comes to player salary caps, as well as a creative Performance Bonus system.
Would the superfans for the womens programs be willing to buy into each program to ensure its success, versus just giving it to the athletic department.
Please note that my idea has the Football Team and possibly the Mens Basketball Team paying a very strong Licensing Fee that would help stabilize the facilities costs and other costs similar to the current AD budget, but in a more direct way.

I see this whole thing being so complicated, who knows what twist and turns everything will take.

How will revenue be divided among the players? What about stars vs non-stars? How are you going to distribute revenue to the so-call non-revenue sports. How is Title IX going to play into this? I don't see individuals forfeiting NIL money to be put into a collective pot.

I don't believe anyone can predict how this is going to end up. My own feeling is some schools will cut back or drop athletics. Some may go to more of an IVY league model (although that is being challenged in court). My own thought is there are probably some universities that think this is a big headache and are not sure if they want to deal with it.

I see this whole thing being so complicated, who knows what twist and turns everything will take.

How will revenue be divided among the players? What about stars vs non-stars? How are you going to distribute revenue to the so-call non-revenue sports. How is Title IX going to play into this? I don't see individuals forfeiting NIL money to be put into a collective pot.

I don't believe anyone can predict how this is going to end up. My own feeling is some schools will cut back or drop athletics. Some may go to more of an IVY league model (although that is being challenged in court). My own thought is there are probably some universities that think this is a big headache and are not sure if they want to deal with it.

Yup, agree with all of this. An awful lot of unknowns how it will all play out

Simple.
Cut athletic scholarships, cut them as students, make them employees.
If they want to go to school they can do so on the same plan that others in their salary scale do. Pay out of pocket or get a loan.

Want to be paid like an adult? Act like one and be prepared to be treated as one.

No free rides.

Simple.
If they want to go to school they can do so on the same plan that others in their salary scale do. Pay out of pocket or get a loan.

Want to be paid like an adult? Act like one and be prepared to be treated as one.

No free rides.
This is exactly where Im at.

Sankey knows people pay taxes on a 1099, too, right? Seems more like he means, ADs don’t want to pay all these kids as employees to avoid benefits, workers comp, payroll taxes, retirement, insurance, etc.
Not only are players paying taxes on their income as non-employees, they're paying at a much higher rate because there's no payroll tax with the employer paying a share of SS et al.

Typical of college sports administrators to take a self-serving position and try to spin it that it's about the kids.

Do the athletes want all the other withholdings? I think that is what Sankey is saying.
As opposed to what? Just because most of these players are too ignorant of how things work to know the taxes they owe doesn't mean that being paid as a non-employee is better for them. They still owe the government its share and the burden on the individual is greater when a portion isn't covered by payroll taxes.

Why doesn't Sankey switch his compensation to a consulting fee?

Simple.

No free rides.
What's even the point of college sports at that point?

Just have high school guys in a separate draft, have a minor league system...

Simple.

No free rides.
If sports isn't part of the university, at least the AD and coaches wouldn't get PARA.

Do the athletes want all the other withholdings? I think that is what Sankey is saying.
Yeah I’m sure Sankey’s primary concern is the players. Players who absolutely do not understand any differences in the way their income is taxed from a W2 to a 1099.

The apologizing for adults at the expense of the players is a near certainty with a segment of the population

Yeah I’m sure Sankey’s primary concern is the players. Players who absolutely do not understand any differences in the way their income is taxed from a W2 to a 1099.

The apologizing for adults at the expense of the players is a near certainty with a segment of the population
Just how most fans think it's outrageous to see the money players make, especially when they threaten to hold out for a new deal. But I never see outrage at the money owners make or a realization that if the player doesn't get that additional $5M he's demanding that the money would just go into the billionaire owner's pocket.

Not sure if anyone has said this, but get ready to see almost all varsity sports go away. Most schools are going to have nothing but football and men's basketball, with the requisite number of women's sports to stay in compliance.

Things like swimming, cross country, track, wrestling, baseball, etc - there's not going to be enough money left over. Title IX is the only thing that will save women's sports at all.
I said that months ago. I’m almost to the “screw all of you greedy bastards. You’re getting what you deserve. You are destroying the system that so many kids received great benefit from. Way to go, assholes” point.

Sankey understands well. Kramer taught him. All SEC teams have classes on NIL tax implications. That’s standard today.

The players don’t know what they want, yet. It will emerge, likely with unions. Dartmouth Union has already commented on the House agreement. It will be interested to see who joins their effort

Back