What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA tournament Day 2

Dammit, Lobos had plenty of chances in this one but when they had finally tied it up they went scoreless for about 7 minutes. Their 3-point shooting has been dreadful. Either team could've taken control in this game if they had stepped up

I don't get the Duke hate. I wish most college athletic personnel had the class and honor of Coach K.

It's sad when guys like Pete Carroll are more celebrated than Mike Kryzewski.

I don't get the Duke hate. I wish most college athletic personnel had the class and honor of Coach K.

I don't really hate Coach K, but I dislike Duke, easier for me, growing up rooting for the Terps. To me if you're Duke fan, you're also the same type who likes the Yankees, Cowboys, and Lakers.

I don't actively root for Duke, I was pulling for Mercer today, but I don't root against them like it seems most of America does.

I don't actively root for Duke, I was pulling for Mercer today, but I don't root against them like it seems most of America does.

:yeahthat:

I first started watching Duke right after Kryzewski was hired, when they had Dawkins, Amaker, Bilas, Gminiski, etc. Having developed a normal, healthy hatred for the Carolina scumbags, rooting for Duke was kind of a natural thing. Since then I've just never developed the hatred for them that everybody else on Earth (except you Alfred, and Dookie V) seems to have.

For the stereotypical Duke fan that jumped on the bandwagon after the first or second national championship the comparison to Yankme (and Red Sox) and Cowboys (and Patriots) and Lakers (and Celtics) fans is probably a decent one, though.

I have a long dislike for Chrisitan Laettner and Bobby Hurley so now that they are mostly gone (Hurley coaches Buffalo) from basketball vision....Duke is left to bear that hatred

:yeahthat:

I first started watching Duke right after Kryzewski was hired, when they had Dawkins, Amaker, Bilas, Gminiski, etc. Having developed a normal, healthy hatred for the Carolina scumbags, rooting for Duke was kind of a natural thing. Since then I've just never developed the hatred for them that everybody else on Earth (except you Alfred, and Dookie V) seems to have.

For the stereotypical Duke fan that jumped on the bandwagon after the first or second national championship the comparison to Yankme (and Red Sox) and Cowboys (and Patriots) and Lakers (and Celtics) fans is probably a decent one, though.
It's probably the closest thing to ND football -- private school that has a national following. Games were widely televised before every game got atleast on ESPN3.

I'm with you on that but any team that stays in the title picture for consecutive decades and gets a lot of t-shirt fans is going to get that Goliath image from those refusing to be bandwagoners. I don't mind Duke in the regular season but come tournament time if I don't have a dog in the fight I am all over the mid-majors.

I don't hate Duke and like to see them do well, mainly to piss off the tar hole fans. If there's a trendy, sense of entitlement fanbase that people should be hating it's UNC. Throw in crybaby Roy and it's a no-brainer.

Alfred 91:

1) Duke is ESPN's favorite team ... they're featured on those networks more than anyone else, even when undeserved.

2) They are consistently overrated, by ESPN, the AP, and the coaches.

3) They consistently get to start the tournament within a stone's throw of their campus, even when they are not a #1 seed (witness this year ... what other #4 seed got to play its first game(s) 25 miles from home?)

4) As obnoxious as ****heel (UNC) fans can be, at least most of them appear to have some connection to the university. Most Duke fans are, as has been pointed out by others here, bandwagoners and frontrunners in the same "class" as Yankee, Cowboys, and Notre Dame football fans, who never got closer to Durham NC than watching Duke games from Cameron on TV.

5) Duke sucks (that's a Fark.com thing ... the founder and chief admin of that site is a Kentucky grad). :lol:

I guess. Duke has been successful over a long period of time. That's going to breed a large fan base. Put it this way - if CU had a run of success in football or basketball like Duke has, would you really give **** how many 'bandwagon' fans we had?

To me, the reason I dislike teams like U$C, the Patriots and the Yankees is because I disagree with the way they got things done. If they did things the way Duke has, I wouldn't really care.

One caveat I suppose is if CU actually competed with Duke in anything. Maybe that would change my opinion.

Alfred 91:

1) Duke is ESPN's favorite team ... they're featured on those networks more than anyone else, even when undeserved.

2) They are consistently overrated, by ESPN, the AP, and the coaches.

3) They consistently get to start the tournament within a stone's throw of their campus, even when they are not a #1 seed (witness this year ... what other #4 seed got to play its first game(s) 25 miles from home?)

4) As obnoxious as ****heel (UNC) fans can be, at least most of them appear to have some connection to the university. Most Duke fans are, as has been pointed out by others here, bandwagoners and frontrunners in the same "class" as Yankee, Cowboys, and Notre Dame football fans, who never got closer to Durham NC than watching Duke games from Cameron on TV.

5) Duke sucks (that's a Fark.com thing ... the founder and chief admin of that site is a Kentucky grad). :lol:

No, most of them don't have a connection to the university.

Regarding playing close to home, 8 of the top-4 seeds got placed somewhat close to home, it just so happens that one of this year's pods happened to be in Raleigh instead of Charlotte or Greensboro (which are both still close, but 1 or 2 hours away). There are many times when UNC also has played in Raleigh or KU has played in Kansas City.

Okay ... I stand corrected. But that being said, I did say that it was my impression that far more Heel fans have a connection to UNC than Duke fans have to Duke.

Regarding playing close to home, 8 of the top-4 seeds got placed somewhat close to home, it just so happens that one of this year's pods happened to be in Raleigh instead of Charlotte or Greensboro (which are both still close, but 1 or 2 hours away). There are many times when UNC also has played in Raleigh or KU has played in Kansas City.

First of all ... I incorrectly called Duke a 4 seed ... they were in fact a 3. My bad.

The #3 seeds this year:

1) Creighton ... opened in San Antonio

2) ISU ... opening in San Antonio

3) Syracuse ... opened in Buffalo (closest other than Duke, but still 150 miles away)

Again ... maybe it's just my perception ... but I can't recall many times in the past several years when Duke has had to open up anywhere other than the state of North Carolina or New York (which is Duke Country North) regardless of their seeding.

Personally I don't like Duke or UNC. But I don't like Duke more. Both teams are consistently overrated and talked about way too much on all the networks.

Yeah, Heel fans are largely Walmart tshirt fans. Mullets are not an uncommon sight [FONT=lucida grande, tahoma, verdana, arial, sans-serif] [/FONT]​

I don't hate Duke and like to see them do well, mainly to piss off the tar hole fans. If there's a trendy, sense of entitlement fanbase that people should be hating it's UNC. Throw in crybaby Roy and it's a no-brainer.
Absolutely, one of the worst fan bases I have ever been around.

I guess. Duke has been successful over a long period of time. That's going to breed a large fan base. Put it this way - if CU had a run of success in football or basketball like Duke has, would you really give **** how many 'bandwagon' fans we had?

To me, the reason I dislike teams like U$C, the Patriots and the Yankees is because I disagree with the way they got things done. If they did things the way Duke has, I wouldn't really care.

One caveat I suppose is if CU actually competed with Duke in anything. Maybe that would change my opinion.

You mean getting things done like having your own network (YES) and george having money? I guess he should have distributed his wealth to teams like Tampa bay who get 15 people in the stands each game unless they make the playoffs. Sounds like some cooky Obama plan to me.

What does it take for the refs to make a charge call? I've seen a few calls today that sure as hell looked like a charge and they were all called blocks

Back