What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA Transfer Portal and the Buffs

vinniew_11

I am kind of curious about the Buffs remaining in the Transfer Portal. Is there any news about Ronnie Blackmon or the other guys?? Are they enrolled in JUCO or just sitting out.

It will be interesting to see how MT uses the Portal next season. That is a place where this young team can become older in a hurry. I like what I see out of Harris and Onu. Seems like MT and staff have a good eye in picking out the right guys. Presuming that Guy Thomas ends up at CU, he could bring much needed speed to the LB position.

Also, I'll be looking for any local Colorado recruits that decide to come home. Given that most of the upper talent has been leaving Colorado for the last 5 years+, it would be nice to see a few guys come home if they do not work out at their larger schools. I remember the OL that left Clemson and/or Auburn, and then finished his career at CU as a starter. In most cases (except for maybe the NU guys), I do not harbor any ill will towards these kids who seek opportunity elsewhere and then decide to come home. In the 80's and 90's these guys stayed home and many really excelled on the field. CU may have a good shot at returnees, as all metro Denver is within 100 miles of Boulder. This could put CU in a good position for any talent that limped away. I am not sure if the new rules will require them to sit out a year. Perhaps they need a family emergency.
I believe Ronnie is at Toledo

I am kind of curious about the Buffs remaining in the Transfer Portal. Is there any news about Ronnie Blackmon or the other guys?? Are they enrolled in JUCO or just sitting out.

It will be interesting to see how MT uses the Portal next season. That is a place where this young team can become older in a hurry. I like what I see out of Harris and Onu. Seems like MT and staff have a good eye in picking out the right guys. Presuming that Guy Thomas ends up at CU, he could bring much needed speed to the LB position.

Also, I'll be looking for any local Colorado recruits that decide to come home. Given that most of the upper talent has been leaving Colorado for the last 5 years+, it would be nice to see a few guys come home if they do not work out at their larger schools. I remember the OL that left Clemson and/or Auburn, and then finished his career at CU as a starter. In most cases (except for maybe the NU guys), I do not harbor any ill will towards these kids who seek opportunity elsewhere and then decide to come home. In the 80's and 90's these guys stayed home and many really excelled on the field. CU may have a good shot at returnees, as all metro Denver is within 100 miles of Boulder. This could put CU in a good position for any talent that limped away. I am not sure if the new rules will require them to sit out a year. Perhaps they need a family emergency.

Blackmon ended up at Toledo as a WR.

As said above Ronnie Blackmon ended up at Toledo where he’ll play receiver. He still retweets a bunch of CU stuff so it seems like he had a good parting.

LJ Wallace is at Iowa Western CC.

Dante Wigley looks like he is done playing football.

Hasan Hypolite is at Houston.

Kevin George is at Arkansas Tech.

Don’t see that Jaunta’vius Johnson is anywhere.

Don’t see Tava Finau anywhere.

Sam Loy is punting for Arkansas and Izzy Antwine went to Oklahoma State.

I’m sure I’m forgetting some.

Guys, thanks for all the information. I'm glad that most all those guys landed on their feet, and are playing ball somewhere. Glad to see Johnson is playing ball. He would be great on the Buffs DL, but given his family situation UAB seems to be the appropriate place. I felt for him as he really stepped up for his family. Nice to see Blackmon is in touch with the staff and it appears to be a good parting.

Really, the best use of the Transfer Portal is give players an opportunity to play, fulfill their athletic endeavors and to get a degree. I worry about players who remain in the Portal unpicked, as they lose their scholarship, their school, their athletic opportunity & some credits may not transfer over or go towards their new degree. We all know, young adults sometimes do make mistakes.

I wouldn’t be surprised if Tyler Lytle transfers from CU if Brendon Lewis is the real deal

QB contest next year will be interesting

Agree Lytle transfers if he gets beaten out by Stenstrom/Lewis

If Lytle wins the job, can see Stenstrom transferring later on if he gets passed by Lewis

Potential QB putting himself on the market.

Actually, if the player quotes are on the up and up, it seems like Holgerson is intentionally making this year a development season and prepping for a monster year next year.

If Viska is banged up, but not injured...does he redshirt the remainder of this year, and come back mega-Viska in 2020?!

I agree with all the folks about Viska having proved everything he needed in college already. He is ready do go pro. Even in his limited time and role (this year he is doubled) this year, he has shown enough YAC, pushing the pile, making 1st downs, and general good play that his stock will not tumble too much. Even on the kickoff that he fumbled, he showed that he was the best player (most dynamic athlete) in the stadium. If you are in the 1st round, where he falls, that is guaranteed money and the key is making that 2nd NFL contact, which he must focus on achieving.

First, he has to be completely 100% healthy before he plays another down of college football. Second, I'm fine with cameo type appearances (FYI--I don't think that he does this, when he is on the field he is a monster), as even a decoy on the field he makes huge differences. I think MT, the staff and his teammates are doing right by Viska and I give them props for that.

Viska is a special player, the likes of which I have never seen. I don't have a college player to compare him too. I saw on NFL channel a special on Julio Jones and what a physical specimen he is. But even he did not move the pile like Viska. I know Viska wants to play and make a difference in every game. It has to be frustrating to be the focal point of the opposing teams defense. I don't think that sending him out wide each play will help anyone. He has proven himself so much, that putting him in the slot or a bunch of wildcat is too much of a risk. Viska playing and being double covered each game will not give him the stats he desires--nor will it come close to last years stats. That is a scheme thing. I think he will show that he is a great teammate and strap it up for every game that he is medically cleared. When CU is playing SC, the Buffs are struggling for bowl eligibility or somehow playing to win the South, if 100% he will step-up. With the average span of an NFL player like 3 years, he has too much stock to risk a serious injury. He is coming off surgery last year. He needs to save any damage for the NFL.

Some fans may not like this, but that is the current landscape of both college and NFL football.

I agree with all the folks about Viska having proved everything he needed in college already. He is ready do go pro. Even in his limited time and role (this year he is doubled) this year, he has shown enough YAC, pushing the pile, making 1st downs, and general good play that his stock will not tumble too much. Even on the kickoff that he fumbled, he showed that he was the best player (most dynamic athlete) in the stadium. If you are in the 1st round, where he falls, that is guaranteed money and the key is making that 2nd NFL contact, which he must focus on achieving.

First, he has to be completely 100% healthy before he plays another down of college football. Second, I'm fine with cameo type appearances (FYI--I don't think that he does this, when he is on the field he is a monster), as even a decoy on the field he makes huge differences. I think MT, the staff and his teammates are doing right by Viska and I give them props for that.

Viska is a special player, the likes of which I have never seen. I don't have a college player to compare him too. I saw on NFL channel a special on Julio Jones and what a physical specimen he is. But even he did not move the pile like Viska. I know Viska wants to play and make a difference in every game. It has to be frustrating to be the focal point of the opposing teams defense. I don't think that sending him out wide each play will help anyone. He has proven himself so much, that putting him in the slot or a bunch of wildcat is too much of a risk. Viska playing and being double covered each game will not give him the stats he desires--nor will it come close to last years stats. That is a scheme thing. I think he will show that he is a great teammate and strap it up for every game that he is medically cleared. When CU is playing SC, the Buffs are struggling for bowl eligibility or somehow playing to win the South, if 100% he will step-up. With the average span of an NFL player like 3 years, he has too much stock to risk a serious injury. He is coming off surgery last year. He needs to save any damage for the NFL.

Some fans may not like this, but that is the current landscape of both college and NFL football.
and I agree - but as a Buff Fan that has had so much misery and waiting for a player of his caliber. We deserve to see him play and play a lot.

Consensus is we all love Viska, everything about the kid, so it hurts a bit to know that it is best for him to completely heal up and prep for the NFL and this path most likely means that our experience with Viska in a Buffs uni is quickly coming to an end.

Being that I was 10 when the Buffs won a National Championship and I was more focused on sling shots, Aladdin's Castle, and the card shop than the Buffs, I can say, Viska is the best player I have ever seen wear the Black and Gold.

Consensus is we all love Viska, everything about the kid, so it hurts a bit to know that it is best for him to completely heal up and prep for the NFL and this path most likely means that our experience with Viska in a Buffs uni is quickly coming to an end.

Being that I was 10 when the Buffs won a National Championship and I was more focused on sling shots, Aladdin's Castle, and the card shop than the Buffs, I can say, Viska is the best player I have ever seen wear the Black and Gold.
Relax. Without understanding what his injury is, it's impossible to suggest what is best for him. As far as his NFL prospects are concerned, his injury history is a major concern. This WR class is absolutely loaded, one of the best in recent memory, so if he can't prove he can stay relatively healthy, he will drop behind guys like Juedy, Tee Higgins, CeeDee Lamb, Ruggs, Michael Pittman, etc.

Back