What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NCAA Women's Lacrosse Championship

cmgoods

Olympic Sports Mod
Club Member
Road to the Championship

National Participation
There are 112 NCAA member institutions that sponsor Division I Women’s Lacrosse teams and are eligible to compete in the National Championship. All 112 programs support more than 3,100 Women’s Soccer student-athletes across the country.

Selection Process
The championship provides for a field of 26 teams to compete in a single elimination tournament. Thirteen conference champions qualify automatically; the balance of the field is selected at-large by the NCAA Division I Women’s Lacrosse Committee. The top six teams in the 26-team bracket for the championship are seeded and receive First Round byes.

Selection Show | Sunday, May 7, 2017 on NCAA.com
The 2017 NCAA Division I Women’s Lacrosse Championship bracket will be announced the first weekend in May prior to first-round competition.

First Round | May 12, 2017
Ten, two-team First Round games will be conducted at non-predetermined campus sites. The winning team from each game will advance to the second round.

Second Round | May 14, 2017
Eight, two-team Second Round games will be conducted at non-predetermined campus sites. The winning team from each game will advance to the Quarterfinals.

Quarterfinals | May 20-21, 2017
Four, two-team single elimination Quarterfinals games will be conducted at non-predetermined campus sites. The winning team from each of the four Quarterfinals will advance to the championship final site.

National Championship | May 26 and 28, 2017
The site of the 2017 Women’s Lacrosse Championship will be announced in October 2016. Two, two-team single elimination Semifinals games will be held May 26 with times to be announced. The two teams winning in the semifinals will advance and compete in the single elimination National Championship game which will take place May 28 with time to be announced.
__________________________________________________________________________________

Edit - Direct link to the link for the video stream of this Sunday's (5/7) selection show (starting at 7:00 PM MT)- http://www.ncaa.com/liveschedule/2017/05/07

Last edited by a moderator:
I would definitely assume that the Buffs wouldn't have any problem making the tournament.

CU's RPI should be around 10 or so after today's loss. They'll make the NCAA tourney.

Out of curiosity, if they play at home, do they play at Kittridge or Folsom? You'd think they'd try to get as many fans there as possible, right?

They have played in Folsom before.
I was there!

Ryan the turf guy would probably **** himself, though if there was a LAX tournament on the grass and then he then had to slap down the flooring for Bolder Boulder.

In case it's of interest to anyone, the Ilwomen website released an ~49 minute podcast with bracketology discussion. Most of the 1st half of the podcast is actually a more general discussion of what the committee looks for (which I assume is pretty common over all the NCAA team sports outside football), featuring an interview with last year's selection committee chair.

Link to the webpage with the podcast - http://www.insidelacrosse.com/artic...est-2016-committee-chair-john-sung-more/49350

Just a few things I can remember from it-
1) Mainly, when they were briefly discussed, there doesn't seem any doubt the Buffs, #10 in RPI and with a few good to very good wins, are being selected. It's more just them assuming the team wondering who they'll play, and where they'll play. (The podcast did NOT go at all into guessing who might meet who where in the 1st or 2nd rounds.)
(Note- our neighbor to the south, the DU women's team WAS mentioned a couple times as being a bubble team, although an analysis I saw on the laxpower forum from a couple weeks ago didn't mention them, even though they are ranked #16, and don't have a horrible RPI (#26 going into this weekend). I'm sure the Pioneers will be going HARD for the auto bid in their conference championship game this afternoon, although they'll have to pull a major upset over #3 Florida to earn that bid. There is a bracketology analysis below the podcast widget in the page linked to above, and looks like they estimate the Pioneers being the 3rd team out.)

2) As with all the sports that seem to have it, RPI sounds huge, and, from following volleyball the last few years, I assume there will only be a few (AT MOST) at large selections that don't go to the relatively better RPI team. Note- for those only familiar with RPI via basketball, sounds like lacrosse (like I know volleyball also is) is different than bball in that no part of their RPI calculation factors in whether a win or loss is home or on the road.

3) One thing I often forget, but I assume is true in most/ all sports that use RPI - not that the former chair was screaming it or anything, but one of the more strong sections of his interview seemed to me to be his emphasizing that they follow "a win is a win, a loss is a loss" policy. The point MARGIN of a major win or loss is irrelevant to their evaluation.

Congrats to the team! Beat the Minutewomen!

Direct link to article - http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2017/5/7/lacrosse-buffs-earn-history-ncaa-tournament-berth.aspx

"
BOULDER — For the first time in the program's short history, the Colorado Buffaloes have been selected to compete in the NCAA Tournament as they will face Massachusetts in the first round on Friday, May 12, in Philadelphia, Pa.

Penn is the No. 7 seed in the tournament and will face Navy in the first round. The winners of the two first round games will face off in the semifinals on Sunday, May 14.

The field consists of 26 teams. The first and second rounds will be played May 12 and 14. Quarterfinals are set for either May 20 or 21 at campus sites and the final four will be played May 26-28 at Gillette Stadium in Foxborough, Mass.

QUOTES:
ATHLETIC DIRECTOR RICK GEORGE

"I'm excited for Ann and the team. To be in this position in four years is pretty amazing. There are only 26 teams in the country who get an NCAA bid and to be one of those teams with a program that has only been in existence for four years is pretty amazing. Ann and her staff have done a great job and our student-athletes have done a great job. They have done a great job and they deserve it."

HEAD COACH ANN ELLIOTT
"We are really excited, especially after last year and not seeing our name pop up on the selection show. We are really excited about the opportunity to play in May."

"This has been a goal of ours from the very beginning of the program, where we get to play in the NCAA tournament. This senior class really has worked hard, starting from day one. They have put in the work and the time and this season has been exciting."

"We played UMass back in February and one thing that I know is that it doesn't matter what you did back in February. We are really excited to have the opportunity to play UMass at Penn and see what we can do. It is one game at a time. Everyone is 0-0. You have to earn it."
"

Full bracket - http://www.ncaa.com/interactive-bracket/lacrosse-women/d1/2017

Edit- There's also a buffzone article (by Pat Rooney) available at http://www.buffzone.com/other-cu-sp...h-against-umass-awaits-cu-lacrosse-first-ncaa .

Last edited:
Back