What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Bill to allow multi-year contracts for coaches in CO (NOW A LAW!)

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Re-posting this from the Scout & Rivals boards because it's a big damn deal and the word needs to get out. Originally posted by "Ag&Au", which is probably the best handle of anyone on CU message boards.

At the urging of Rick George and with the support of Bruce Benson and Phil DiStefano, CU is running a bill in the State Legislature, SB 17-041 Concerning Multi-year Contracts in Higher Ed Institutions. It was introduced yesterday, Jan 13th. The bill would remove any restrictions on contracts funded from Auxiliary Enterprise monies. (Auxiliary Enterprises include entities such as (non-state funded) athletics, bookstore, residence halls, food service, and so forth.) These contracts would not be funded by General Fund (tax) appropriated monies.

The bill is sponsored by Senator Kevin Priola (R-Henderson), Representative Edie Hooton (D-Boulder) and Representative Yeulin Willett (R-Grand Junction.) CU-Boulder is in Hooton's district. Priola was a Ralphie's Handler (and Ralphie IV lives on his property) and Willett and his family have eight CU degrees. It is important to note that all contracts have to be approved by the CU Regents. But this bill would give CU a lot of flexibility in managing its coaches contracts.

Each CU campus is currently allowed six multi-year contracts. On the Boulder campus, Coach Leavitt had one of the six, as do Coach MacIntyre, Coach Boyle and Coach Payne.

Tellingly, the bill is supported by CSU as well. This will give the schools both flexibility and stability in hiring coaches. It is also important to note that the multi-year contract issue has nothing to do with TABOR. If anyone is friendly with their state Rep or Senator, you may want to drop them a note stating your support for this bill. Otherwise, no firm opposition appears right now.

Why would somebody vote against this?

What I don't understand is why it would even need to be voted on in the first place. We're talking about contracts for university positions that are funded by sources other than tax dollars.

Boiler Plate to copy/paste to your representive,

Dear Representative,

Please support HB 17-041. This bill allows for a more level playing field for collegiate athletic departments inside of the State of Colorado when it comes to extending employment contracts to college coaches at state schools.

Current law limits the number of long term contracts that are available for coaches. These existing limits put Colorado athletic teams at a disadvantage against rival Universities in other states that are not subject to similar contract restrictions.

Passage of this bill does not impact taxpayer funds that support higher education, as money for additional long term contracts are privately funded through auxiliary enterprise sources that come from existing ticket sales, television royalties, private donations, licensing and merchandise sales.

Don't let the State of Colorado continue to stand in the way of competitive college sports programs. Please vote to pass this bill.

Regards,

Your Colorado Constituent

Last edited by a moderator:
Boiler Plate to copy/paste to your representive,

Dear Representative,

Please support HB 17-041. This bill allows for a more level playing field for collegiate athletic departments inside of the State of Colorado when it comes to extending employment contracts to college coaches at state schools.

Current law limits the number of long term contracts that are available for coaches. These existing limits put Colorado athletic teams at a disadvantage against rival Universities in other states that are not subject to similar contract restrictions.

Passage of this bill does not impact taxpayer funds that support higher education, as money for additional long term contracts are privately funded through auxiliary enterprise sources that come from existing ticket sales, television royalties, private donations, licensing and merchandise sales.

Don't let the State of Colorado continue stand in the way of competitive college sports programs. Please vote to pass this bill.

Regards,

Your Colorado Constituent
Email sent.

Why would somebody vote against this?
Left wing liberal holier than thou pansy assed do gooders who don't believe in spending on men's sports. The money that comes to athletics is donated by the "one percenters."

Left wing liberal holier than thou pansy assed do gooders who don't believe in spending on men's sports. The money that comes to athletics is donated by the "one percenters."
I'm quite liberal and just emailed my representative in support. None of the money for these contracts comes from the state or taxpayers.

Geez is that all there is to getting an exception to that?!?! Just go introduce a bill!! Why didn't they do this years ago!!!! It has been killing us since the F****** Neuhisel era. Why did this take so long!?! Tell me why why why!!!

I'm shocked! All these years I thought it was a TABOR thing and, therefore, thought it required a constitutional amendment. Though I never knew how we got the six exceptions. This is a no brainer it seems. But I never take politics for granted.

When does the House vote in it. What I'd worry about is some stupid legislation getting attached to it that would cause it to get shot down.

When does the House vote in it. What I'd worry about is some stupid legislation getting attached to it that would cause it to get shot down.

DBT--The way our state legislature works, the type of "bill killing" riders you see in Congress are not an issue. There are sometimes amendments, but they almost always deal with cleanup issues for the bill, not totally different stuff. I have been involved with, and or watched, a great many bills work their way through the state legislature.

The real action on this bill will be in committee. The way it works, bills get before a committee one time, and they are debated, and the public can comment (anyone can comment at the committee hearing, usually for three minutes), and the committee votes. The same thing then has to happen in the committee in the legislature's other house.

My experience is with criminal justice bills, and from what I have seen, most of the time the legislators seem to know how they are going to vote then the committee meeting starts, so I am not sure how much public testimony matters in the end, but it certainly could not hurt to have a group of well behaved, calm, polite Buffs fans at any hearings explain to the committee how important a bill like this is.

I will reach out to a contact I have in CU administration to see if they want a public showing for any hearings, and if so, I will report back here.

Back