What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New DC Poll-Top 4 candidates

Rank order the top 4 candidates.

• D Gibbs

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • C Pendergast

Votes: 71 64.0%
  • DJ Durkin

Votes: 34 30.6%
  • G Gibbs

Votes: 13 11.7%

• Total voters
I'm not saying it's necessarily affecting recruiting (which could be argued) but it'd be nice to have a guy in place, along with LaRussa's replacement, as soon as possible. We can throw holiday excuses out there all we want but plenty of other staffs have made big moves in and around the holidays (A&M, UM, Oregon State, Wisconsin, and even CSU). With the rest of the college football landscape rapidly changing, you're telling me it takes more than 2 weeks to identify, interview, and offer potential candidates?

Attachments

• CSU.JPG
    CSU.JPG
    20.1 KB · Views: 92
I'm not saying it's necessarily affecting recruiting (which could be argued) but it'd be nice to a guy in place, along with LaRussa's replacement, as soon as possible. We can throw holiday excuses out there all we want but plenty of other staffs have made big moves in and around the holidays (A&M, UM, Oregon State, Wisconsin, and even CSU). With the rest of the college football landscape rapidly changing, you're telling me it takes more than 2 weeks to identify, interview, and offer potential candidates?

Or maybe we can wait and see how things shake out before we start criticizing the process underway. Which, by the way, none of us are privy to.

I'm not saying it's necessarily affecting recruiting (which could be argued) but it'd be nice to have a guy in place, along with LaRussa's replacement, as soon as possible. We can throw holiday excuses out there all we want but plenty of other staffs have made big moves in and around the holidays (A&M, UM, Oregon State, Wisconsin, and even CSU). With the rest of the college football landscape rapidly changing, you're telling me it takes more than 2 weeks to identify, interview, and offer potential candidates?
Chill the **** out, we're fine. Our guy is likely coaching right now. aTm fired Mark Snyder, their old DC, on November 28th and just hired John Chavis a few days ago.

I guess the point I am making is that if someone else I work with gets a raise I don't expect to get one unless we worked on the same project or something.

Well you are in for a treat, everyone gets raises, even the stupid people.

How long should it take?

I don't know, Duff. Oregon State, Nebraska and Wisconsin all found head coaches in less time, McElwain has assembled a staff in less time, CSU is assembling a full staff in less time... The list goes on.

Hkylw21... I'm not criticizing the process. Just voicing frustration that we are reliant on many other hirings/firings around the country and are no one's first choice.

I don't know, Duff. Oregon State, Nebraska and Wisconsin all found head coaches in less time, A&M poached a DC from LSU in less time, McElwain has assembled a staff in less time, CSU is assembling a full staff in less time... The list goes on.

Hkylw21... I'm not criticizing the process. Just voicing frustration that we are reliant on many other hirings/firings around the country and are no one's first choice.

Head coach is a whole different animal. Either way, if we get an announcement by say Wednesday or, who cares if it took an extra several days during the dead period.

Chill the **** out, we're fine. Our guy is likely coaching right now. aTm fired Mark Snyder, their old DC, on November 28th and just hired John Chavis a few days ago.

"Chill the **** out"... coming from the guy who is in a 3 page argument about CU's coaching salaries. OK, then.

Wait, the market sets the price? You don't say? I guess I should have looked at the market for offensive coordinators in the Pac 12 and compared..wait I did. What is your criteria for pay? Years at position? Points per game? Efficiency? All I am saying is that Lindgren should be compensated right at the average wage in the Pac 12 for his performance. Coaches every year in every sport receive raises for their performance. Lindgren cannot do anything about the defense giving up almost 40ppg, but his offense carried their weight and then some by putting the team in a position to win the game.

I hate myself for responding to this ( I swore I would quit). What it the Market for Lindgren? Right now it is what he is being paid and if he is undervalued he can test the market. You keep acting like the offense was blameless but they also contributed to loses but they were not. As far as efficiency - which parameter do you like - FEI, OFEI - when I look at those CU's offense is ranked 10th in the PAC 12, so you could argue he is being overpaid.

I like Lindgren but he is not some stud OC yet. He was okay but not great.

I don't know, Duff. Oregon State, Nebraska and Wisconsin all found head coaches in less time, McElwain has assembled a staff in less time, CSU is assembling a full staff in less time... The list goes on.

I agree that it is frustrating that we are probably no one's first choice. But have you seen the talent on our D? I doubt too many DC's are jumping at the opportunity to coach that bunch. I think with a little patience we will find someone pretty darn good. Everyone around the program knows how important this decision is.

Last edited:
Head coach is a whole different animal. Either way, if we get an announcement by say Wednesday or, who cares if it took an extra several days during the dead period.

That's fine. It's just frustrating, that's all. I understand recruiting isn't tangibly affected by the slowness of the process, but you don't think anything else is delayed or affected because of it?

Why does it matter? It's pretty clear that the DC list is this:

1. DJ Durkin
  2. David Gibbs

Harbaugh has not officially announced who he is going to hire as his defensive coordinator. Gibbs is the interim head coach for Houston. Those are the only two candidates that I am aware of that we have interviewed so it looks like we are awaiting Durkin's fate since it is between us and Michigan (if they offer). aTm and UNC were in there as well but they have both hired other people.

This is pure conjecture on your part. For all any of us know we have had a deal in place for 2 weeks and were asked not to report the news until after the bowl game.

That's fine. It's just frustrating, that's all. I understand recruiting isn't tangibly affected by the slowness of the process, but you don't think anything else is delayed or affected because of it?

Not really. If we are still waiting next weekend, I think everyone should be concerned.

I agree that it is frustrating that we are no one's first choice. But have you seen the talent on our D? I doubt too many DC's are jumping at the opportunity to coach that bunch. I think with a little patience we will find someone pretty darn good. Everyone around the program knows how important this decision is.

You're correct, it's a huge decision that could ultimately play a big role in MM's future. It needs to be the right guy, for sure, I just would have liked to think there was already something in the works when Baer "left" (Which very well may be the case and they're waiting to finalize or announce a deal until a later date).

In before the first "I don't want David Gibbs because Houston got rolled by lowly Pitt" post.

In before the first "I don't want David Gibbs because Houston got rolled by lowly Pitt" post.

Which would be a ridiculous statement to make. Interim coach, probably leaving, coaching one game in place of a guy who is already gone, against a team that you were probably going to be an underdog to in the first place. Low level bowl games are generally not the place to judge coaching accumen.

1. DJ Durkin
  2. David Gibbs

Harbaugh has not officially announced who he is going to hire as his defensive coordinator. Gibbs is the interim head coach for Houston. Those are the only two candidates that I am aware of that we have interviewed so it looks like we are awaiting Durkin's fate since it is between us and Michigan (if they offer). aTm and UNC were in there as well but they have both hired other people.

I think we're fine. Assuming the DC gets named at some point this weekend, he then would have 10 days to get a replacement for Andy LaRussa and decide what he wants to do with Jeffcoat and Clark. There should be no reason why we don't have a full staff out recruiting.

You're correct, it's a huge decision that could ultimately play a big role in MM's future. It needs to be the right guy, for sure, I just would have liked to think there was already something in the works when Baer "left" (Which very well may be the case and they're waiting to finalize or announce a deal until a later date).

Both Durkin and Gibbs are interim coaches for their current teams in their bowl games. I'm not suprised that they want to keep the focus on the task at hand until the bowl games are over. Expect something to get done tomorrow afternoon or Sunday.

So Pendergast seems to be out of the mix?
I think only based on the fact that most think the delay is because we are waiting for our new DC to finish coaching a bowl game with his current team, and Pendergast is not with a team right now, and he would have already been announced. Not sure that is true, but I think that's why there is less talk about him now.

I expected a whole lot of stupid to be going on in the last 3 pages based on the UH game. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised.

I expected a whole lot of stupid to be going on in the last 3 pages based on the UH game. I have to say I'm pleasantly surprised.
Borrowing from the old saying about Colorado weather - if there's not enough stupid for ya in an AllBuffs thread, wait around awhile.

1. DJ Durkin
  2. David Gibb

Per footballscoop.com:

"Michigan: 247 is reporting that defensive coordinator Greg Mattison will remain on Jim Harbaugh’s staff in some capacity as expected."

It does say some.

Michael redd? DB coach out of Clemson.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back