What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Kickoff Rule

40% of all Kickoffs have some kind of return. Think about about that on a per game basis... If there are 10 total per game (which is probably high), that means 4 have any kind of return, and the average return only gets the offense to start at the 21-22 yard line, so it actually hurts offensive field position. Add to that, the fact that statistically, KOs almost never get returned for a TD, so they aren't this game changing play you think they are. I wouldn't be opposed to keeping KOs for the opening play of the game and opening play of the half, but getting rid of them after scores.

Also, this shouldn't just be looked at as a safety issue; this should be viewed as progress in speeding these games up, fewer commercials, and increased ratings. Think about the the time between a team scoring a TD and the opposing team starting on offense. The team scores, the XP is kicked, they go to a 3 minute commercial break. They come back for the KO and then go to another 3 minute commercial break. I'd bet the whole process from TD to next offensive snap is close to 10-15 minutes of real time. If you eliminate one of those commercial breaks, that potentially reduces the time of a game by 30 minutes, assuming there are around 10 KOs per game.
I like perspective a lot. I would be in favor expediting the process without losing the kick offs. The fumbles and returns, although uncommon, are huge when they do happen. The breaks are also kind of necessary at those times. In order to get everyone organized and out there, as well as giving special teams time to line up. Games are awfully long, my way of solving it would be to minimize TV timeouts during games and shorten lag time between special teams plays. Football just takes a lot of time to set up each play, drive etc. I would rather the extra 20 minutes of the game than a diminished product that was rushed.

I must be the only one who likes the length of the games. A 4 hr game doesn't bother me live, or on tv, in the least . Football season goes by in a blur as it is. I don't want it going any quicker.
I agree with this when I'm watching my team play or if there is a really good game being played between two really good teams, but the majority of the product in both college and NFL are not good. That, and fantasy football, are why the RedZone channels have been created. The average football fan doesn't want to sit through a game that lasts much longer than 3 hours.

40% of all Kickoffs have some kind of return. Think about about that on a per game basis... If there are 10 total per game (which is probably high), that means 4 have any kind of return, and the average return only gets the offense to start at the 21-22 yard line, so it actually hurts offensive field position. Add to that, the fact that statistically, KOs almost never get returned for a TD, so they aren't this game changing play you think they are. I wouldn't be opposed to keeping KOs for the opening play of the game and opening play of the half, but getting rid of them after scores.

Also, this shouldn't just be looked at as a safety issue; this should be viewed as progress in speeding these games up, fewer commercials, and increased ratings. Think about the the time between a team scoring a TD and the opposing team starting on offense. The team scores, the XP is kicked, they go to a 3 minute commercial break. They come back for the KO and then go to another 3 minute commercial break. I'd bet the whole process from TD to next offensive snap is close to 10-15 minutes of real time. If you eliminate one of those commercial breaks, that potentially reduces the time of a game by 30 minutes, assuming there are around 10 KOs per game.
I don't like it from a defensive point of view. I really don't view KOs as a huge return possibility. I love the thought of a strong legged kicker dropping the ball on the 5 with great hang time. Pinning the opponent inside the 20 is a defensive advantage and momentum builder.

I agree with what you said except that it goes like this:

Touchdown
Review that goes so long that they go to commercial break
Timeout leading to another commercial break if the team decides to go for 2
Extra point
Commercial break
Kickoff
Commercial break
Start of next offensive series

This is the **** that is making football increasingly difficult to watch on tv.

Edit: I forgot the potential review of the 2pt conversion leading to another commercial.

Last edited:
And now we take you to a commercial break. This forum is brought to you by Red Robin Burgers and Brews, for that burger and beer lover in you! And don’t forget those bottomless fries!
B3CA3704-28BF-45AC-ABB7-5163084CFC94.jpeg

Nice. That reminds me. I'm having one of these for lunch today. Truffle burger with a gooey egg. Yes, it's that good.

Beatrice_Inn_truffle_duck_egg_burger_-1.0.0.jpg

Looks awesome. Just to steer this thread off a little more: I highly recommend the truffle burgers at Larkburger on Arapahoe and 28th. Also the truffle fries.
To steer it farther off track, you all should (probably shouldn't) go look up truffle butter on urban dictionary; very NSFW.

My issue with the removing this time within the game is it will have impact on the players. Example: your defense gets scored on against a high tempo offense, they are gassed. Almost immediately the offense comes out and goes 3 & out, punt, and defense is back on the field. Can become a pretty nasty cycle, especially in mismatched games. Plus, from player safety issue, tired/exhausted players are much more likely to become injured (they lose technique, easier for them to get rolled up on, and one player going 100% vs player going 75% is going to get trucked).

If get rid of kick offs, then teams could never attempt an onside kick, and that would suck for the few occasions it is a necessary option. You can fair catch a punt so why not a KO. I would rather they don't change, but like it better than removing them altogether.

The real problem with getting rid of kickoffs completely is what are they going to do with the hour of commercials that put around it?
Well they’re also putting in a 40 sec play clock after kick offs

The more I think about it, the more I like the idea of getting rid of kickoffs and even punts. Each team would be on a more even playing field by simply starting their drive on their own 20 yard line and march the full 80 yards for a TD. Field goals would be done via dropkicks and we wouldn't need kickers and punters anymore.

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/...f-american-football-to-launch-in-2019-on-cbs/

New spring football league kicking off next spring and it isn't the XFL.

Other differences will include no kickoffs and instead of onside kicks, the trailing team will receive the ball on their own 35-yard line facing fourth down and 10.

As someone who loves playing NCAA Football 14 on the PS3, I always super sim the kickoffs, punts, PAT attempts, and FGs. I don't think people would necessarily miss the kickoffs, punts, and PATs.

Can anyone point to stats about all of these injuries they're supposedly preventing on kick offs?

The kicking game has pretty much become irrelevant. Do away with kickoffs entirely except for onside kicks and make touchdowns worth 7 and skip the PAT.

Back