What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Offense?

But that could just be because Drexel is really slow and deliberate. :lol:

I'm just saying that before we start praising the offense because of a scrimmage we need to consider the D may not have been top notch.

I agree. Can't read too much into a scrimmage

...and I'm slightly on guard for Drexel as well. Slightly.

We're gonna crush Drexel. Larry Bird Squad will be playing with more than 4 minutes left on the clock.

We're gonna crush Drexel. Larry Bird Squad will be playing with more than 4 minutes left on the clock.

Ultimately, I think you're right. But I want the team to be prepared because Drexel is the type of team that normally gives us headaches.

Goose has been traumatized by a decade of crappy football and a history of irrelevant basketball. Can't embrace the new culture of Colorado Basketball.

Ultimately, I think you're right. But I want the team to be prepared because Drexel is the type of team that normally gives us headaches.

Exactly, just like we were going to crush Wyoming and USCB last year. These teams that slow it down on offense, don't go after offensive boards and focus on getting back on defense to limit transition opportunities are teams that CU struggles with. Drexel isn't some bottom feeder middle central state team. Before injuries hit last year they were a solid team, they took UCLA and Arizona down to the wire.

Tini you can't hack Nik's account like this.

Drexel lost a lot. We should win comfortably. But we all know someone is probably going to scare us.

Exactly, just like we were going to crush Wyoming and USCB last year. These teams that slow it down on offense, don't go after offensive boards and focus on getting back on defense to limit transition opportunities are teams that CU struggles with. Drexel isn't some bottom feeder middle central state team. Before injuries hit last year they were a solid team, they took UCLA and Arizona down to the wire.

They were up like 33-7 or something completely absurd on Arizona. It was stunning.

I'm no basketball guy so you that are can chime in. First, to run a fast or faster paced offense with a lot of motion, there is a premium on the point guard. Does this new philosophy say anything about Collier? Does Tad see him as a guy that can run an up tempo offense the next 2 or 3 or however many years? Second, I would think a more exciting, up tempo offense would be a positive for recruiting. I lived in Vegas when Tark and the Runnin' Rebs were making waves. They were a blast to watch. And, no, I don't think that is the style we are going to.

I'm no basketball guy so you that are can chime in. First, to run a fast or faster paced offense with a lot of motion, there is a premium on the point guard. Does this new philosophy say anything about Collier? Does Tad see him as a guy that can run an up tempo offense the next 2 or 3 or however many years? Second, I would think a more exciting, up tempo offense would be a positive for recruiting. I lived in Vegas when Tark and the Runnin' Rebs were making waves. They were a blast to watch. And, no, I don't think that is the style we are going to.

DBT,

Good questions.

First, I think there's a misperception about PG. Our old offense actually put more of a premium on the position since he was expected to get the team into a set and to orchestrate the offense. In the case of Spencer, he was also expected to find points for us by beating a defender one-on-one if the play didn't result in anything.

If you look at faster-paced, motion offenses it becomes more of the NBA thing. The Spurs don't have a traditional PG. Tony Parker is a score-first guy. So is his backup, Patty Mills. Manu is probably a better passer from the "2". Boris Diaw was a very valuable "point forward" and they drafted Kyle Anderson to get a young guy developing in that role.

The 2 titles before them won by the Heat was with teams that had LeBron as a "point forward" dominating action and forcing ball movement. If you go back to the Lakers and Bulls teams that won titles under Phil Jackson, none of them had a great PG and the action was dominated from the "2".

What I'm getting at is that this offense and the modern game is about having all the guys moving and finding open players. Tad can very easily have 3 combo guards on the court without anyone in a traditional PG role.

So, yes, Collier can be great in this setup. So can a guy like Dorsey. Or Ski. It allows them to develop and showcase PG skills while not having to sacrifice their scoring (like a Tony Parker or a Russell Westbrook).

That's appealing to recruits.

Fast pace is also appealing to recruits. Scoring is fun. Running and dunking is fun. Dropping a dime to a teammate is fun. An important note here is that Tad emphasized defense and rebounding so much and those things aren't fun. They're dirty. They're hard. They don't show up much on the stat sheet or ESPN highlights. But they win basketball games and defensive skill gets players drafted. But to get players to buy in to the degree needed in those areas, you've got to let them have fun at the other end. Calipari is the master of that. Pitino is another master. I have hope that with what Tad is doing he is learning from their success.

https://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1691170
Rivals with the unintentional SCOOP as Boyle admits it:
"But in terms of people that make plays, I want five playmakers out there. And with this new offense we're running, it is putting our post guys in a position to be facilitators at times, especially when we get the defense in rotation. They have to be able to make decisions with the ball so the more decision makers, and good decision makers you can put on the floor the better."

yup, new offense. wonder what kind of changes we see once the games start.

Hope it ends up like it sounds like here. The players Tad has been recruiting seem better suited to what this looks to be.

A couple of other huge advantages to this as well.

One is that since Tad has been here we have seemed to have frequent blocks of time in games when our offense has ground to a halt. We spend a bunch of time with guys standing, lousy ball movement, and end up with a turnover or somebody either going one against the defense or chucking up a lousy shot for a sequence of possessions. In these times we either give up leads or end up with significant deficits on the scoreboard. Either way it has cost us games. A focus on movement may help us to avoid or minimize these offensive dead times.

Secondly in addition to winning of course recruits love points. Higher scores mean more interest from the kids we are trying to recruit, which in turn means more wins in the future. Once the kids are here they have to play defense to win but how often do you hear a recruit talk about loving a school because of the defense they play?

They want to win & they want to get exposure.

Defense does matter & recruits say that about defensive coaches getting guys to the NBA.

They want to win & they want to get exposure.

Defense does matter & recruits say that about defensive coaches getting guys to the NBA.

Cal gets the #1 recruiting class in the nation every year (well, most years....) to play lockdown D. The players know they have to play D if they want to move on.

Cal gets the #1 recruiting class in the nation every year (well, most years....) to play lockdown D. The players know they have to play D if they want to move on.
I had to re-read that twice. Can we call him 'pari?

:nod:

Top players aren't afraid to work hard.

Main in thing I hear about is that guys want to play fast.

Give them a pressure defense, push pace, and let them use their one-on-one skills to get shots and you've got the best style for recruiting. Sitting in a 2-3 or pack-line while running a methodical offense can win a lot of games, but it's not as fun and doesn't translate well to the NBA so hyper-successful programs like Wisconsin and even Michigan State don't snag a lot of blue chip players.

Tad Boyle inches closer to his dream of a team composed entirely of 6'6" wings with the switch to a new offense, which doesn't have normal positions:

Because of his skill set, Thomas can play multiple positions on the floor. He has been primarily playing in a small forward role in practice.

"But Coach [Boyle] isn't into naming positions this year with the offense we're running," Thomas explained. "He said, 'we don't really have a one, two, three or four.' It is just whoever gets the ball, and then we're going and we're all expected to make basketball plays."

https://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1693210

Adam is killing it with this series on the bball team.

That explains some of the new offensive strategies we've heard too.

wasn't George Karl's whole philosophy about high percentage shots around the basket and crashing the boards. I think I remember him saying that outside 2 point jumpers are the dumbest shots in the game. Lol basically layups or threes.

Back