What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Women's Basketball Coach JR Payne

This sure seems like a bit of an issue to me. Makes for a very strange dynamic in the workplace. And it really doesn't matter whether Toriano is experienced, an awesome assistant, whatever.

PS I suppose there are ways to work around the issue, but seems difficult at best.
Meh. If they get a divorce she can fire his ass.

Just finished watching the whole presser. She seems very upbeat and likable. I think players are going to like playing for her. I can see her doing well on the recruiting trail, too. Really good energy about her.

Seems very dynamic. Like that Coach T is off to the UK to recruit a player. Hope he lands her and that JR can keep last season's freshmen class.

Not super confidence inspiring, but it is a start I suppose.

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_29694279
"Her impressions today were really, really good, so I'm excited to see what she brings, who she brings and that type of thing," freshman point guard Kennedy Leonard said.

With any coaching change comes the possibility of players leaving, but for now, the Buffs appear to be on board.

"For the most part, everybody is trying to give her a chance," Leonard said. "All we know is how she is off the court right now. I think we're patiently waiting to get on the court. I think right now we're trying to stick together, play together and give her a chance. She deserves a chance."

Oregon State: 2016 Final Four
Washington: 2016 Final Four
Stanford: 2016 Elite 8
UCLA: 2016 Sweet Sixteen
Arizona State: 2016 Round of 32

Oregon: 2016 WNIT Semi Final

Mrs Payne has her work cut out for her.

Yeah. And wasn't ASU like a 2 or 3 seed? All I saw was that they ran into a Tennessee squad that hit its stride at tourney time. No shame in that.

Yeah. And wasn't ASU like a 2 or 3 seed? All I saw was that they ran into a Tennessee squad that hit its stride at tourney time. No shame in that.
Yep, they were the 2 and got blindsided by Tennessee. Similar to how Washington got super hot. They are a 7 seed.

I know she is working on putting her staff together, but any word on Coach Carey? I have no idea if Carey was well thought of by the players, but the fact that she was performing duties in the interim says positive things about how the AD sees her at least. Her CO HS background also couldn't hurt with in-state recruiting...just personally a fan of hers so would like her to continue as an assistant before she hopefully finds a HC opportunity of her own.

I know she is working on putting her staff together, but any word on Coach Carey?[/QUOTE
One of the reporters asked coach Payne about the assistants still with the team and she stated she hadn't had the time to talk to them and get to know them.

If the style of play is going to be up-tempo and a lot of defensive pressure than CU has some of the pieces already, especially with Leonard, Robinson and Thomas. And if CU pushes the ball a lot Kennedy will end up with a zillion assists.

Not super confidence inspiring, but it is a start I suppose.

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_29694279

Buffballer: I'm curious about this too, and would like you to touch on it. I was very impressed with JR Payne today at the meet & greet. In Brian's piece for the Daily Camera he seemed to be intimating something, based on how he wrote it:

http://www.buffzone.com/womensbasketball/ci_29694279/cu-names-jr-payne-take-helm-womens-basketball

Brian wrote the following in his piece:

"With any coaching change comes the possibility of players leaving, but for now, the Buffs appear to be on board."

Several people pointed out to me that the that line in his piece and the subsequent quote from KL (wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement) seemed to be intimating more than he actually specifically stated outright. Then the rumors were circulating. I didn't catch the connection when initially reading the piece tonight, but heard the rumors today and upon reading it I'm not sure that I was happy with Brian positioning that just so. I never went through a coaching change as a roster player like that. I can't imagine all the emotions and conflicting loyalties that are happening for these amazing young women on this team. Linda recruited them, and had developed relationships and a rotation that players had to respect and used to, whether they wanted more minutes or not. College is a terrible environment after a coaching change. Players had promises made to them that the successive head coach is not bound to be committed to. JR Payne has a reputation as being a fantastic recruiter in the western Women's basketball coaching community. That probably doesn't sit well with the players of a team that was entirely noncompetitive. Everyone wants to play, and Pac-12 basketball can be humbling, without the politics and dynamic of a coaching change. The new coach doesn't owe anything to the new players. If what the old coach was doing with those types of recruits and how they were playing had been working, she'd still be the current coach. The new coach is here because those players and the old coach weren't good enough or working well enough in tandem. Not every coach can get everything out of great players. I think with Linda we saw over the years that a lot of potential was left on the floor, so to speak.

Afterwards, I started hearing rumors that things were all not well in Buffland with the JR Payne hiring. I couldn't be happier about the hire. JR Payne is the real deal. She's a woman so I loved the hire on that point. She's a proven program builder. I didn't even have her on my radar. She had almost spent her entire playing and coaching career in the WCC. I thought she was a WCC lifer. Quite frankly the rumors were that she was eventually going to move to get the Gonzaga job, having coached there as an assistant.

Now that JR is in Boulder, I wanted to see if you'd comment on where KL is at right now. Whether she is considering leaving the program. KL's quote wasn't quite the leadership I think people were looking for. However, she's very young and I was very immature when I was her age. Only, not all of my mistakes were always on display or quoted in the local paper. Thank goodness! Imagine if the walk-of-shame on the Hill on Sunday mornings had been a published account. I can't even imagine.

This is what KL said:

"For the most part, everybody is trying to give her a chance," Leonard said. "All we know is how she is off the court right now. I think we're patiently waiting to get on the court. I think right now we're trying to stick together, play together and give her a chance. She deserves a chance."

I have to admit, that quote reads like a player that is struggling. Truth be told I hope JR Payne comes to this team with no preconceived notions. I hope that she gives every young woman on this roster a clean slate, and an opportunity to prove that their skill and abilities warrant making an impactful contribution to this team, going forward. The idea that the players are "for the most part" only going to "give [the coach] a chance" seems to me to be very uncomfortable.

It shouldn't be lost on anyone how predatory the WCC is when it comes to recruiting. The Santa Clara job would have been a recruiting nightmare. Can you imagine taking a noncompetitive mid-major coaching gig in UConn's backyard? That's exactly what JR Payne did. Not only did she get Santa Clara turned around, just as she had done for SUU, but it shouldn't be lost on anyone that JR Payne managed to beat Stanford this season. Linda never once managed to beat Stanford with Pac-12 talent, let alone mid-major recruits. Stanford was one of the last eight teams in the tournament this year, losing to former CU Buffs player Alexus Atchely's Washington team. Again, the idea that Linda didn't want Alexus on the team, but the team captain of a NCAA Women's Final Four team that plays 40' per game of seemingly every game since the Pac-12 tourney/NCAA tourney is just mind boggling. There is a reason Mike Neighbors still has a Pac-12 job, and Linda doesn't. He offered Alexus a scholarship on the spot when she wanted to walk on after transferring to Washington. She is a team captain and doesn't leave the floor for a single minute of game play of a Final Four program for a reason. I think CU will win 20 games by 2017-18, and return to the WNIT. If Linda could do it that often with the terrible job she did recruiting at CU, JR Payne should easily be able to manage it. JR took a non-competitive Santa Clara, in Stanford's backyard no less, and beat Stanford (Elite Eight this year) and went to the WNIT in her 2nd season there. This coach knows what she's doing.

However, JR made a point of saying multiple times upon introduction and later that CU would be playing disciplined basketball. That just isn't KL's style. What makes KL great is her abandon and aggressiveness.

My advice to her would be to not make any decisions until some time has passed. When I was young and her age I made some very poor decisions based on my emotional state, and being impulsive. I think the best advice any of us could give KL is not make any decisions rashly, and to let some time pass to not let the emotion of the process push her into doing or saying something she might later regret. Not every transfer situation ends as well as Alexus's did. Even a player as immensely talented as Roberson, who was the first Buffalo to win Freshman of the Year (Big-8, Big-12, Pac-12) CU was Pac-12 2013 Freshman of the Year, 5x Pac-12 Freshman Player of the Week (only Buff to ever win weekly honor five times in one season), was honorable mention All-Conference and All-Defensive squad as a freshman, honorable mention All-Conference and All-Defensive team as a Sophomore, 1x Pac-12 Player of the Week as Sophomore, and had a double-double in the NCAA tournament loss to Kansas, and 17 rebounds against Stanford in the Pac-12 QuarterFinals...well upon transferring to West Virginia she returned to the NCAA tournament again, but she wasn't the featured player on that team by any means. The point is that coaches are never beholden to transfers, the way they are to their own recruits. I hope KL takes pause and gives JR Payne more than just a chance. JR is going to make this program great again. Based on how KL was quoted, and Brian is pretty fair never taking things out of context, I've got to believe she's leaning toward leaving.

So based on what I read, I'm just going to just come out and ask: Buffballer: Is KL leaning toward staying at CU or transferring?

Buffballer: I'm curious about this too, and would like you to touch on it. I was very impressed with JR Payne today at the meet & greet. In Brian's piece for the Daily Camera he seemed to be intimating something, based on how he wrote it:

http://www.buffzone.com/womensbasketball/ci_29694279/cu-names-jr-payne-take-helm-womens-basketball

Brian wrote the following in his piece:

"With any coaching change comes the possibility of players leaving, but for now, the Buffs appear to be on board."

Several people pointed out to me that the that line in his piece and the subsequent quote from KL (wasn't exactly a ringing endorsement) seemed to be intimating more than he actually specifically stated outright. Then the rumors were circulating. I didn't catch the connection when initially reading the piece tonight, but heard the rumors today and upon reading it I'm not sure that I was happy with Brian positioning that just so. I never went through a coaching change as a roster player like that. I can't imagine all the emotions and conflicting loyalties that are happening for these amazing young women on this team. Linda recruited them, and had developed relationships and a rotation that players had to respect and used to, whether they wanted more minutes or not. College is a terrible environment after a coaching change. Players had promises made to them that the successive head coach is not bound to be committed to. JR Payne has a reputation as being a fantastic recruiter in the western Women's basketball coaching community. That probably doesn't sit well with the players of a team that was entirely noncompetitive. Everyone wants to play, and Pac-12 basketball can be humbling, without the politics and dynamic of a coaching change. The new coach doesn't owe anything to the new players. If what the old coach was doing with those types of recruits and how they were playing had been working, she'd still be the current coach. The new coach is here because those players and the old coach weren't good enough or working well enough in tandem. Not every coach can get everything out of great players. I think with Linda we saw over the years that a lot of potential was left on the floor, so to speak.

Afterwards, I started hearing rumors that things were all not well in Buffland with the JR Payne hiring. I couldn't be happier about the hire. JR Payne is the real deal. She's a woman so I loved the hire on that point. She's a proven program builder. I didn't even have her on my radar. She had almost spent her entire playing and coaching career in the WCC. I thought she was a WCC lifer. Quite frankly the rumors were that she was eventually going to move to get the Gonzaga job, having coached there as an assistant.

Now that JR is in Boulder, I wanted to see if you'd comment on where KL is at right now. Whether she is considering leaving the program. KL's quote wasn't quite the leadership I think people were looking for. However, she's very young and I was very immature when I was her age. Only, not all of my mistakes were always on display or quoted in the local paper. Thank goodness! Imagine if the walk-of-shame on the Hill on Sunday mornings had been a published account. I can't even imagine.

This is what KL said:

I have to admit, that quote reads like a player that is struggling. Truth be told I hope JR Payne comes to this team with no preconceived notions. I hope that she gives every young woman on this roster a clean slate, and an opportunity to prove that their skill and abilities warrant making an impactful contribution to this team, going forward. The idea that the players are "for the most part" only going to "give [the coach] a chance" seems to me to be very uncomfortable.

It shouldn't be lost on anyone how predatory the WCC is when it comes to recruiting. The Santa Clara job would have been a recruiting nightmare. Can you imagine taking a noncompetitive mid-major coaching gig in UConn's backyard? That's exactly what JR Payne did. Not only did she get Santa Clara turned around, just as she had done for SUU, but it shouldn't be lost on anyone that JR Payne managed to beat Stanford this season. Linda never once managed to beat Stanford with Pac-12 talent, let alone mid-major recruits. Stanford was one of the last eight teams in the tournament this year, losing to former CU Buffs player Alexus Atchely's Washington team. Again, the idea that Linda didn't want Alexus on the team, but the team captain of a NCAA Women's Final Four team that plays 40' per game of seemingly every game since the Pac-12 tourney/NCAA tourney is just mind boggling. There is a reason Mike Neighbors still has a Pac-12 job, and Linda doesn't. He offered Alexus a scholarship on the spot when she wanted to walk on after transferring to Washington. She is a team captain and doesn't leave the floor for a single minute of game play of a Final Four program for a reason. I think CU will win 20 games by 2017-18, and return to the WNIT. If Linda could do it that often with the terrible job she did recruiting at CU, JR Payne should easily be able to manage it. JR took a non-competitive Santa Clara, in Stanford's backyard no less, and beat Stanford (Elite Eight this year) and went to the WNIT in her 2nd season there. This coach knows what she's doing.

However, JR made a point of saying multiple times upon introduction and later that CU would be playing disciplined basketball. That just isn't KL's style. What makes KL great is her abandon and aggressiveness.

My advice to her would be to not make any decisions until some time has passed. When I was young and her age I made some very poor decisions based on my emotional state, and being impulsive. I think the best advice any of us could give KL is not make any decisions rashly, and to let some time pass to not let the emotion of the process push her into doing or saying something she might later regret. Not every transfer situation ends as well as Alexus's did. Even a player as immensely talented as Roberson, who was the first Buffalo to win Freshman of the Year (Big-8, Big-12, Pac-12) CU was Pac-12 2013 Freshman of the Year, 5x Pac-12 Freshman Player of the Week (only Buff to ever win weekly honor five times in one season), was honorable mention All-Conference and All-Defensive squad as a freshman, honorable mention All-Conference and All-Defensive team as a Sophomore, 1x Pac-12 Player of the Week as Sophomore, and had a double-double in the NCAA tournament loss to Kansas, and 17 rebounds against Stanford in the Pac-12 QuarterFinals...well upon transferring to West Virginia she returned to the NCAA tournament again, but she wasn't the featured player on that team by any means. The point is that coaches are never beholden to transfers, the way they are to their own recruits. I hope KL takes pause and gives JR Payne more than just a chance. JR is going to make this program great again. Based on how KL was quoted, and Brian is pretty fair never taking things out of context, I've got to believe she's leaning toward leaving.

So based on what I read, I'm just going to just come out and ask: Buffballer: Is KL leaning toward staying at CU or transferring?
First of all, you don't need to write a novel every time you post.

Second, to me, it reads like Kennedy was leaning towards leaving but now is more 50/50 and is willing to wait and see how JR finishes her staff and how they envision KL's role.

First of all, you don't need to write a novel every time you post.

Second, to me, it reads like Kennedy was leaning towards leaving but now is more 50/50 and is willing to wait and see how JR finishes her staff and how they envision KL's role.
I don't understand what you are saying here. Could you repeat it in 1000+ words without bringing up more points?

I'll hit on one point in that verbose post: discipline does preclude aggression. The PayneTrain's comments on discipline were that everyone is held to the standard. But she also mentioned the whole blue collar thing several times. She expects to out-hustle, get on the floor for loose balls, etc. Get scrappy. There is nothing I got about her style of play that doesn't work very well for Kennedy and Alexis, they brought a ton of energy last year. I also don't think the comment was immature, the comment was that she had barely met her new coach.

Back