What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

New Women's Basketball Coach JR Payne

Thanks JackVcr. South America is about the only place I haven't gotten to. Look forward to doing that someday in the future.

Well, maybe SA should be your visit. My entire business life has been abroad and this was an easy choice for us. I bet you'd like visiting South America a lot.

Welcome to Coach Cammon.

A friend has worked extensively in Chile and he says he could live there. There are places in Central America he never wants to see again.

Never happened.
I'm looking at all the 'great coach' stuff on these posts about Tim Hays...didn't see anyone bringing up why a 'super successful' coach is 'resigning' in the middle of one of his best seasons yet...?? HHmm? Can you say 'forced' resignation? Looks like a pattern...Montana State fails to renew contract after 1 year...after contacting coach to find out what happened....? "You should talk to some of the former players & parents..." hhhmmmm
I say that CU Women's Basketball dodged a GINORMOUS bullet! Oh yeah....you reap what you sow Hays.

I'm looking at all the 'great coach' stuff on these posts about Tim Hays...didn't see anyone bringing up why a 'super successful' coach is 'resigning' in the middle of one of his best seasons yet...?? HHmm? Can you say 'forced' resignation? Looks like a pattern...Montana State fails to renew contract after 1 year...after contacting coach to find out what happened....? "You should talk to some of the former players & parents..." hhhmmmm
I say that CU Women's Basketball dodged a GINORMOUS bullet! Oh yeah....you reap what you sow Hays.

I don't know much of anything about Hays besides a top line look at the resume. Frankly, I'm very unlikely to remember his name a month or less from now.

All I'm focused on at this point is that I'm very happy with the staff Coach Payne has assembled, so no reason to look back.

Go Buffs!

Last edited:
I don't know much anything about Hays besides a top line look at the resume. Frankly, I'm very unlikely to remember his name a month or less from now.

All I'm focused on at this point is that I'm very happy with the staff Coach Payne has assembled, so no reason to look back.

Go Buffs!
Buffnik & Sow&Reap: I concur with your comments. If CU's new head coach did not have a proven track record of turning around really lousy programs that had very constricted budgets and did not have glowing recommendations as she does from both former bosses and former players, had not been offered the head job at two other major programs before accepting CU's offer and did not take the CU job due to financial considerations then I might wonder/look askance at her hires. But that's not the case. There is a reason she is so highly thought of by players & coaches and her assistants. CU women's basketball is "fixin' to fly". Forget all the other crap of recent losing seasons. Look forward. It's really great to read/see such interest in the women's program. Anybody at games I'm attending at the beginning of the season when Estelle and I are up in Boulder, I'll be delighted to introduce you personally to the coaching staff.

Welcome to Coach Cammon.

A friend has worked extensively in Chile and he says he could live there. There are places in Central America he never wants to see again.

Chile is great. We'll stay there for 6 months. Central America, IMHO: Only truly safe spot is Costa Rica and it is positively overrun with Americans who, of course, have driven prices waaaay up on everything. If one wanted that I would suggest moving to San Diego or La Jolla, etc. Belize is pretty safe, but is all rural.

The MSU issue was a young coach tryng to make an impression and a head coach who thought he was just to pushy as a first year assistant.

CCU was more of the same, pushed hard on administration to invest in sports (which really is a priority at CCU). He pushed his players to be their very best but some of the players were/are very privileged and entitled. In the end the complaints of these entitled young ladies caused to much of a stir and he resigned at CCU.

I will say he was extremely successful in Australia in the pro leagues... working with ladies that were hardnosed and not entitled.

I will say the are many, many young ladies and now professionals, moms, etc that have much respect for Coach Hays.

He has excepted position at SEU and with him I'm sure he will push hard to win a national title and will be extremely successful. I wish him the very best!

"CCU was more of the same, pushed hard on administration to invest in sports (which really is a priority at CCU). He pushed his players to be their very best but some of the players were/are very privileged and entitled. In the end the complaints of these entitled young ladies caused to much of a stir and he resigned at CCU."

Shame on you 'Flathead' or whoever you are...you have no idea what some of those 'entitled' young ladies went through....he's got a track record, which is why the coaches at CU made a fantastic decision by cutting him loose, as I said before...they will be thanking themselves for years for not making the biggest mistake of their lives hiring that clown.

Jackvcr, I plan to take you up on that offer. Just let me know the dates!

Super. We've got a deal and soon as we have our flights booked I'll let you know the dates/games in Boulder. I strongly suspect it will be the first two home exhibition games. Fun for us. Anyone else who would like to join us with JR & staff, you are more than welcome.

"CCU was more of the same, pushed hard on administration to invest in sports (which really is a priority at CCU). He pushed his players to be their very best but some of the players were/are very privileged and entitled. In the end the complaints of these entitled young ladies caused to much of a stir and he resigned at CCU."

Shame on you 'Flathead' or whoever you are...you have no idea what some of those 'entitled' young ladies went through....he's got a track record, which is why the coaches at CU made a fantastic decision by cutting him loose, as I said before...they will be thanking themselves for years for not making the biggest mistake of their lives hiring that clown.

Sow&Reap: I don't know Tim Hays, wouldn't know him if I fell over him & have next to no knowledge about him other than JR has known him for awhile. But one thing I can assure you of, JR has brought a superb staff of assistants with no baggage of any kind onboard with her. You're going to enjoy CU WBB.

Last edited:
..............CU women's basketball is "fixin' to fly". Forget all the other crap of recent losing seasons. Look forward. It's really great to read/see such interest in the women's program. Anybody at games I'm attending at the beginning of the season when Estelle and I are up in Boulder, I'll be delighted to introduce you personally to the coaching staff.
Looking forward to seeing the Buffs WBB team fly. Also looking forward to meeting you and Estelle.

Southeastern Director of Athletics, Drew Watson, announced today that Tim Hays will return to the Fire as head women’s basketball coach.

Hays was named to the post earlier this year before stepping down on March 27th to pursue an NCAA Division I coaching opportunity.

“Tim called and made it clear that he regretted his decision to leave SEU and asked us to consider hiring him back,” said Watson. “After careful contemplation and another round of interviews with him, we decided that it would be in the best interest of the women’s basketball program to give Coach Hays another opportunity.”

http://whoopdirt.com/hays-returns-womens-basketball-coach-southeastern-u/

Super. We've got a deal and soon as we have our flights booked I'll let you know the dates/games in Boulder. I strongly suspect it will be the first two home exhibition games. Fun for us. Anyone else who would like to join us with JR & staff, you are more than welcome.
I'd love to! Go Buffs!

Looking forward to seeing the Buffs WBB team fly. Also looking forward to meeting you and Estelle.[/QUOT

Great. Then we look forward to it also. Fun & the more the merrier. You know, and gee, I've only ever just heard this, but apparently if one makes a pit stop at a pub before a game it's supposed to make the game more fun :) Do they have that tradition in Boulder?! Ha ha.

#IsItNovemberYet

I concur with your comments. If CU's new head coach did not have a proven track record of turning around really lousy programs that had very constricted budgets and did not have glowing recommendations as she does from both former bosses and former players, had not been offered the head job at two other major programs before accepting CU's offer and did not take the CU job due to financial considerations then I might wonder/look askance at her hires. But that's not the case. There is a reason she is so highly thought of by players & coaches and her assistants. CU women's basketball is "fixin' to fly".

There's no doubt in my mind that CU can be one of the top programs in the country. Between the school, the community the metro area as well as the conference and facilities give them the foundation. What they need is a coaching staff that can recruit at a high level as well as coach. Let's hope that JR & Co. are the right ones.

There's no doubt in my mind that CU can be one of the top programs in the country. Between the school, the community the metro area as well as the conference and facilities give them the foundation. What they need is a coaching staff that can recruit at a high level as well as coach. Let's hope that JR & Co. are the right ones.

Well said. I concur, Mark! And game attendance is important in terms of support. Kids want to play in front of good, loud crowds. If little Gonzaga can put 6,500 fannies in their gym for women's games, CU should be able to do the same. Make The Keg a place opponents hate to come play!

And game attendance is important in terms of support. Kids want to play in front of good, loud crowds. If little Gonzaga can put 6,500 fannies in their gym for women's games, CU should be able to do the same. Make The Keg a place opponents hate to come play!

About 20 years ago CU did average around 5,000 a game. That was during the "glory years" when they were consistently winning or finishing at the top of the old Big 8 and winning games in the NCAA tourney.

One thing to keep in mind about Boulder, especially when compared to Spokane, is that there is a lot of competition for sports and entertainment. And there isn't automatic allegiance to CU sports teams as many have moved to this part of Colorado from for elsewhere. Thus it's going to take a while to get the interest built to the point that average attendance is above 2,500 or so.

About 20 years ago CU did average around 5,000 a game. That was during the "glory years" when they were consistently winning or finishing at the top of the old Big 8 and winning games in the NCAA tourney.

One thing to keep in mind about Boulder, especially when compared to Spokane, is that there is a lot of competition for sports and entertainment. And there isn't automatic allegiance to CU sports teams as many have moved to this part of Colorado from for elsewhere. Thus it's going to take a while to get the interest built to the point that average attendance is above 2,500 or so.

You are right about the competition.

On the other hand Boulder is affluent enough that lots of families are not rationing entertainment dollars. Boulder is also a very progressive thinking city where people are much more likely to be willing to spend money to see something outside the mainstream. Given a reason many in Boulder would come out to support the women in part because they are women and they want to support women's success.

On the other hand Boulder is affluent enough that lots of families are not rationing entertainment dollars. Boulder is also a very progressive thinking city where people are much more likely to be willing to spend money to see something outside the mainstream.

Absolutely on the affluence present here in Boulder. In fact, there are almost no families that would qualify as "middle class" in terms of income. It's wealthy or poor.

The flip side of the disposable income is that a lot of families leave town every time there is a school vacation which means if a game is scheduled for a three day weekend, Thanksgiving, etc., there are fewer fans available to come to the CEC.

Back in the "glory days" CU used marketing to get butts in the seats. They got them in the door with a lot of free promotions with McDonalds. People liked what they say and would come back. I used to take the McDonalds coupons to work and many of my co-workers would come to the games. Two families became season ticket holders. One gave up his tickets when his daughters started playing AAU ball and that came first.

Here I am living in Iowa and I still have my tickets.

(Duplicating what I wrote in a volleyball thread for those who don't venture there.)

Assume most people interested would already be notified via email or whatever, but wanted to mention that there's a Meet the Coaches event hosted by the Alumni Association on Wednesday, August 3rd scheduled from 5:30 PM to 8:00. New women's bball coach Payne and volleyball's Mahoney will be there.

More info and registration available at http://www.colorado.edu/alumni/meetthecoaches .

Back