What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

NIL: How Does it Work? (Plus transfer rules)

I saw a reference on the 247 board about thanking the Crawford family for making the bags for this weekends commitments possible. Does anyone know who the Crawford family is or what this story is?

I saw a reference on the 247 board about thanking the Crawford family for making the bags for this weekends commitments possible. Does anyone know who the Crawford family is or what this story is?

They deserve more credit.

I remember seeing that now and you're right, we don't mention that enough. We need about 10 more of these plus ordinary fans contributing five dollars per game.
Given our Fanbase has expanded rapidly and nationally, we should not overlook this latter aspect.

I don't know about trillions of $$$, but if they win and we're talking about every college athlete being found to have had their rights violated ... the financial damages would be astronomical.
Michael Scott playing the role of the NCAA

Season 4 Episode 6 GIF by The Office

NIL is changing how I view CFB. I enjoy it obviously, but the way money is being sloshed around feels reckless. I have no problem with players getting theirs and happy for them, but I am starting to be more interested in the NFL where there is structure.

I agree. The whole college football landscape is getting out of hand with realignment, NIL (pay for play), etc. When I see Jimbo Fisher walking away with $80 Million for not coaching I have to wonder if there is not a certain amount of donors that turned off by all of this. I know I was upset with how the contracts of both Dorrell and MacIntyre were handle and those were small potatoes to what we are seeing today. I cannot believe the money faucet is infinite. Time will tell.

I agree. The whole college football landscape is getting out of hand with realignment, NIL (pay for play), etc. When I see Jimbo Fisher walking away with $80 Million for not coaching I have to wonder if there is not a certain amount of donors that turned off by all of this. I know I was upset with how the contracts of both Dorrell and MacIntyre were handle and those were small potatoes to what we are seeing today. I cannot believe the money faucet is infinite. Time will tell.
I just hope that they figure out how to take all of the money college football generates and move the financing of operations off of the GoFundMe model.

The agents see the schools sign those big TV contracts and they know they will get a big chunk of it for their client and for themselves. The more the schools make, the more coaches make

I like this idea. We need some of the Colorado breweries to get on board to donate a portion to the NIL…Stampede Golden lager is a no brainer for this

Just crazy...
Story is complete bullsjit. Arch has not taken any NIL money

In some ways this feels even worse than GoFundMe pages for cancer patients.

Just bizarre that the model is crowdfunding to avoid touching the revenue the ADs don't want to let players touch.

They would love to pay Football players. Women’s anything and men’s anything other than BBall they don’t wanna pay. With pesky T9 in place, they must crowdfund.

BREAKING: Texas A&M just broke the bank for the Best Defensive End in the Transfer Portal. Nic Scourton entered the Portal last week before finally committing today. He led the ENTIRE Big Ten in sacks at Purdue last season, so it was unclear why he would choose to transfer The real reason has been revealed today, & it was all about MONEY... you won't believe the figures that Texas A&M offered him:Scourton was reportedly offered a base salary of $650,000, a car, & a house via NIL opportunities to play at Texas A&M next season He was only paid $200,000 at Purdue for last season, so this is a MAJOR pay raise for the kid...Is the NIL Bidding War for elite players ruining college football?(via
@On3sports
Purdue, Gold & Black)

1. Players should get paid market value.
2. Players should have freedom of movement.
3. Unfettered free agency and no salary cap is not desirable in sports.
------------
We need a player's union, unified governing body, and a collective bargaining agreement to have any hope of getting this right.

Huh? with only 5 years to play 4? Those college years might be the only paychecks they ever get.

Youre unlikely to ever get a cohesive union for the same reasons in terms of turnover. You also have the problem of union negotiations: with the school? With the NIL? With the conference? With the NCAA?

USC probably wants its own contract with players because they can afford to pay more while Univ of Indiana and host of tohers probably doesnt like that.

Last edited:
Huh? with only 5 years to play 4? Those college years might be the only paychecks they ever get.
It's not desirable because of what it does to competition and fan engagement. For instance, imagine if the NBA was 1-year deals for every player with no cap and there was also no draft. There wouldn't be a banner hanging in Denver right now. There wouldn't be any hope to ever be good. Fans would hope to get a lucky year every now and then when the mix of vets & rookies they signed caught fire and could take down the Lakers "Big 5" of future HOFers.

It's not desirable because of what it does to competition and fan engagement. For instance, imagine if the NBA was 1-year deals for every player with no cap and there was also no draft. There wouldn't be a banner hanging in Denver right now. There wouldn't be any hope to ever be good. Fans would hope to get a lucky year every now and then when the mix of vets & rookies they signed caught fire and could take down the Lakers "Big 5" of future HOFers.
This is not supposed to be a professional sport. To equate CFB to the NBA is apples to oranges because, again, the players can only play for 4 years. The players still are NOT paid by the institution whereas NBA players are paid directly by their franchise.

Now there is the fact that theyre actually being paid by an unregulated wild west third party co-op thats legally and totally separate from the university. Said co-op could be insolvent the next year. I could see lawsuits from trying to limit a players income by forcing them into a contract for 4 years. But you know other NILs will say if you play for us we have 1 year contracts unlike that other school.

I agree its not desirable for fans. But everyone wants the players to be paid and now thats arrived. And now were on the slippery slope where the wealth of an alumni base WILL decide who gets to be elite at the expense of all others.

Last edited:
This is not supposed to be a professional sport. To equate CFB to the NBA is apples to oranges because, again, the players can only play for 4 years. The players still are NOT paid by the institution whereas NBA players are paid directly by their franchise.

Now there is the fact that theyre actually being paid by an unregulated wild west third party co-op thats legally and totally separate from the university. Said co-op could be insolvent the next year. I could see lawsuits from trying to limit a players income by forcing them into a contract for 4 years. But you know other NILs will say if you play for us we have 1 year contracts unlike that other school.

I agree its not desirable for fans. But everyone wants the players to be paid and now thats arrived. And now were on the slippery slope where the wealth of an alumni base WILL decide who gets to be elite at the expense of all others.
Unless players become employees with a CBA.

Universities cant directly pay players. So who is CBA with?
The entire structure has to change.

And they could pay players - just call it a stipend that's part of the scholarship agreement. The issue there is Title IX. The universities don't mind playing football players or even M/WBB. Those sports have positive value with media, other revenues and marketing of the university. But they'd be forced to pay every student athlete the same based on Title IX. This is why there's the talk about football being split off as a separate business venture. It may be the only viable path forward.

Reactions: GRM
The entire structure has to change.

And they could pay players - just call it a stipend that's part of the scholarship agreement. The issue there is Title IX. The universities don't mind playing football players or even M/WBB. Those sports have positive value with media, other revenues and marketing of the university. But they'd be forced to pay every student athlete the same based on Title IX. This is why there's the talk about football being split off as a separate business venture. It may be the only viable path forward.

I agree. Scounton made his NIL deal by proving he is a college star, not a HS recruit. He earned it on the open market. His value goes beyond just his football talent, but his signing perhaps bailing out a sinking ship. A@M had to start somewhere to turn things around. Just like SS and Hunter, who make more, he could prove to be the bedrock for changing A&M's entire football situation.

I do not believe there is another way around Title IX. If you unionize college football, you cannot make a certain sport a split off union, and all the other sports non-union--it has to be all or none. Football funds all the other sports.

I think the best structural changes is doing away with early HS signing period and perhaps moving HS signing day out into March. That demonstrates a BIG commitment between a school and that student to hold out that long. The earlier transfer portal period sets rosters and depth charts to a degree. Right now it is a mess with transfers and HS recruits all going at the same time. There should be an exception for HS signees that can enter into school early, ie. Spring semester.

With all the 4*-5* underclassman entering the portal it is a mess for a HS recruit. Upperclassman move the depth chart for a couple years. The touted HS underclassman entering the portal this year it has changed things for HS recruits immensely. The more information that they have prior to signing is better for them. Plus, Scounton signed his intent and NIL deal as a young adult (20), not at 17-18, where the parents can dictate things. Hate to see CU miss out on this guy, but props to him for earning it.

Youre unlikely to ever get a cohesive union for the same reasons in terms of turnover.
Meh. 18-23 year olds are far more idealistic than we remember, and they are far more likely to take an individual hit for the collective good.

Bottom line, they'll vote for and support a union at far greater levels than a bunch of 35 years olds; it's their decision and their votes that will create and ratify a players union.

Back