What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

No more Bull ****!!!

Maybe, except four of our five new division rivals (UofA, ASU, Utah, USC), have some shade of red as part of their color scheme (admit ASU is a stretch and arguably closer to purple).

Except none of those teams are our rival. U of A/ASU are already rivals, Utah/BYU are already rivals, USC's red is as close to red as ASUs is - they are both maroon not Crimson, and USCs rivals are ND and UCLA anyway. (And why didnt you choose Wazzu? Their red is closer to red than USCs or ASUs)

Are they not allowed to wear Green because of U of O (Whose rival is OSU anyway), Purple? (Sorry, they are already rivals with Wazzu)

If a rivalry develops in the Pac-12 it will have to be natural, and its certainly not going to be Utah just because they are closest. It smacks of patheticness to try and quickly replace a Nebraska rivalry that Nebraska never felt anyway - Nebraska felt that OU was their true rival. NU/CU was a rivalry that Mac created to get fans interested.

It will be Utah because Utah used to be CU's rival in the 60's. They wear red, not wearing red in the Dal Ward is tradition and you don't change tradition. That's why my dad went to CU, his dad did, and I am. Tradition is their for a reason.

It will be Utah because Utah used to be CU's rival in the 60's. They wear red, not wearing red in the Dal Ward is tradition and you don't change tradition. That's why my dad went to CU, his dad did, and I am. Tradition is their for a reason.

Why not just make our rival USC? They will respect/fear us as much as Utah does. No red in the Dal Ward center is a 20 year old tradition. Some tradition.

Why not just make our rival USC? They will respect/fear us as much as Utah does. No red in the Dal Ward center is a 20 year old tradition. Some tradition.
BECAUSE UTAH WAS OUR RIVAL IN THE PAST! Do I need to type it in German or Arabic for ya? It doesn't matter how old a tradition is, true Buffs don't wear red in the Dal Ward and that's what Cabral did, Mac did, and Embo is doing. Look what happens when you try and change tradition, you get a Hawk like result.

I agree. Shoot for the top of the PAC 12. Not some flash in the pan Utah program. Set high expectations. That is the takeaway from what Mac did. It has nothing to do with the color red.

Except none of those teams are our rival. U of A/ASU are already rivals, Utah/BYU are already rivals, USC's red is as close to red as ASUs is - they are both maroon not Crimson, and USCs rivals are ND and UCLA anyway. (And why didnt you choose Wazzu? Their red is closer to red than USCs or ASUs)

Are they not allowed to wear Green because of U of O (Whose rival is OSU anyway), Purple? (Sorry, they are already rivals with Wazzu)

If a rivalry develops in the Pac-12 it will have to be natural, and its certainly not going to be Utah just because they are closest. It smacks of patheticness to try and quickly replace a Nebraska rivalry that Nebraska never felt anyway - Nebraska felt that OU was their true rival. NU/CU was a rivalry that Mac created to get fans interested.

Utah/CU used to be a bigger rivalry than CU/NU or CU/CSU. It will quickly reemerge

I agree. Shoot for the top of the PAC 12. Not some flash in the pan Utah program. Set high expectations. That is the takeaway from what Mac did. It has nothing to do with the color red.

Bam. There it is. Nobody wears Trojans inside Dal Ward.

That means you, too, Henderson.

First of all 20 years ago Dal Ward was just beginning construction, second, the tradition of no red in the facilities has been around a lot longer than 20 years.

I have a feeling Embree will stay reserved untill his breaking point, then he will completly blow up, should be exciting
At least he is not stupid enough to say he's here to compete for Natonal Championships like his predecessor, and doesn't use worn out cliches. Awesome!

Looks like its Durex for now on..

But not the red ones.

red-condom.jpg

Well, maybe I made a poor word choice with "rival." However, believe it or not, it is possible for schools to have more than one rival. For example, on the front range alone: CU/CSU/kNU; CSU/CU/Wyoming; AFA/Army/Navy. Sure, all Pac-12 schools currently have at least one rival, but that does not eliminate the strong likelihood that CU will one day develop a rivalry with one or more Pac-12 schools, especially within the South Division. Of which, four out of five members incorporate some shade of red in their color scheme. I don't care to argue "colors", but "cardinal" is USC's official color and is described by Wikipedia as a "vivid red": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardinal_(color) and, as you state, "maroon" is ASU's official color and is described by Wikipedia as a "dark red color": http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maroon. I didn't discuss WSU because they aren't in our division.

On if it will be difficult to stay away from CU while he finishes up with the Vikings – It’s hard. It’s very difficult. I want to jump in so bad. But also, too, I understand the importance of the commitment that I made with the Minnesota Vikings. We’ve had a lot of highs and lows this season. You never want to see change happen, but change has taken place and I want to make sure that I’m giving our players the best opportunity to finish up the season the right way. And also, giving the best opportunity for (Leslie) Frazier to have an opportunity to earn that (head coaching) job. That’s who I am. I’m very passionate and very committed. On the flipside, I will be checking out the internet web sites to see who’s doing what. I will be paying close attention to everything.

-- Looks like not everybody on the internet is scum. Lol!

Any proof of that? (No red @CU, not Dal Ward construction dates)

Are you a buff fan or just a logan fan?

Red clothing had been taboo around the Dal Ward Center for years before Hawkins was hired in December of 2005, but the rule against it inside Buff headquarters was gradually relaxed in recent years. Cabral told players a full ban is back in effect now that he has taken over leadership of the team.

http://www.buffzone.com/ci_16614497?source=most_viewed

I remember going to the buff games in the mid 1980's even wearing red coats to the game was taboo. That was no matter who we were playing. The Dal Ward was built shortly after Mac came here and I can't find articles on it (it was the 80's so it is not the easiest to find silly information like that.)

Last edited:
Any proof of that? (No red @CU, not Dal Ward construction dates)

I know when my dad played in the early 70's the team did not wear red around. However when Mac declared NU as our rival in the early 80's is when it truly started. That is more like almost 30 years ago. There was also a player in the 70's can't remember who who said somethign along the lines of he had more respect for dog **** on his shoes than Nebraska.

I hope first few things the staff does is, retain all if not most senior players. I remember Hawkins running off quite a few linemen and not having enough bodies for spring ball.

Thank goodness for the Kansas game, without it, I am not sure we could be here today celebrating Embree's hiring. Even if we had barely made the Peeon Bowl I think Hawkins would have survived.

Thank goodness for the Kansas game, without it, I am not sure we could be here today celebrating Embree's hiring. Even if we had barely made the Peeon Bowl I think Hawkins would have survived.

agreed, that game might have been a blessing! Although I bet we lose to KSU for sure and maybe ISU if Hawk was here.

the days of not wearing red date back to when eddie crowder, one of OU's great players from the 50's became CU's head coach.... he made a comment that "his days of wearing red" were over.....

There was the Utah rivalry. Then wasn't it Crowder who made the statement about never wearing red because of Oklahoma? Then Mac took it to the next level with Nebraska.

We're full circle with Utah starting next year. And, as posted, every Pac-12 South divisional rival except UCLA wears some kind of red.

So, no red during Utah week or in CU facilities. This is not just a Nebraska thing.

Back