What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nonconference schedule changes confirmed - WVU, Hawaii, Eastern Washington

It isn´t. Swap UNC with WVU.

2009 Schedule from cubuffs.com

Sat, Sep 05 Colorado State at Denver, Colo. or Ft. Collins, Colo. TBA

Sat, Sep 12 Miami, Ohio Oxford, Ohio TBA

Sat, Sep 19 WYOMING BOULDER TBA

Sat, Sep 26 North Carolina at Chapel Hill, N.C. TBA

Sat, Oct 10 Texas * at Austin, Texas TBA

Sat, Oct 17 KANSAS * BOULDER TBA

Sat, Oct 24 Kansas State * at Manhattan, Kan. TBA

Sat, Oct 31 MISSOURI * BOULDER TBA

Sat, Nov 07 TEXAS A&M * BOULDER TBA

Sat, Nov 14 Iowa State * at Ames, Iowa TBA

Sat, Nov 21 Oklahoma State * at Stillwater, Okla. TBA

Fri, Nov 27 -
Sat, Nov 28 NEBRASKA (exact date TBA) * BOULDER TBA

bet CU buys out the miami game in ohio...they only have 5 home games listed.

not sure but, my understanding is that the AD wants 6 games a year in folsom. Guess they could move the lambs game to Boulder if they have that option.

it´s the lammies home game .... but couldnt they have thought of this before they struck agreements to fill their 2009 schedule? if they do have to buy out miami oh it seems a bit short sighted.

just move our home games against the lammies to boulder and be done with it.

not sure but, my understanding is that the AD wants 6 games a year in folsom. Guess they could move the lambs game to Boulder if they have that option.

Many of the businesses in Boulder also count on those 6 games at Folsom. One of the big reasons CU was so reluctant to move the CSU game to Denver in those years in which it meant giving up a 6th home game.

Unfortunately- most of the teams who play that kind of OOC schedule get broken legs, busted knees, shoulder injuries, etc. -- much much worse than just a bloody nose.

Ask Bob Stoops how worthwhile his trip to Oregon was this past year. Got the royal screw-job from the refs and possibly lost a chance at another national title game by playing in Oregon.

Take a look at the out of conference schedule of the elite teams in college football. Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, Florida, LSU, etc. Sure - they will play a tough game every once in a while --- but generally only 1 tough non-conference opponent, with the rest of them being pretty much cupcakes.

OU's OOC in 2007 -- North Texas, Utah State and Tulsa-- with U. of Miami sandwiched in there.

Texas' OOC in 2007 -- Arkansas State, TCU, UCF and Rice.

Right, but the one year UT did win the MNC, they played No 1 ranked Ohio State at Ohio State in the OOC, and I think another good team. Winning them all makes them talk about you as a contender, winning them all with a tough OOC makes you the shooin contender.

Right, but the one year UT did win the MNC, they played No 1 ranked Ohio State at Ohio State in the OOC, and I think another good team. Winning them all makes them talk about you as a contender, winning them all with a tough OOC makes you the shooin contender.

They played OSU, Rice and Louisiana Lafayette in their OOC games.

it´s the lammies home game .... but couldnt they have thought of this before they struck agreements to fill their 2009 schedule? if they do have to buy out miami oh it seems a bit short sighted.

just move our home games against the lammies to boulder and be done with it.

Agreed, I hate the games at Invesco. If CSU wants their home game in Denver so be it; I would rather we dropped that series altogether. Maybe play them every 5-10 years like any other mid-major OOC team.

Agreed, I hate the games at Invesco. If CSU wants their home game in Denver so be it; I would rather we dropped that series altogether. Maybe play them every 5-10 years like any other mid-major OOC team.

does a game at invesco create that much more revenue to make the whole thing worthwhile for cu?

having a local "rivalry" is nice, but i agree that it gets a little tedious after a while.

WVU will just be a good game period - they think they belong in the MNC hunt then they are just going to have to deal with going through the Buffs first.

I'm also with the crowd here that wants to continue to live by the mantra "we will play anyone, enywhere, anytime." You offer the nationally televised games and promise the kids the opportunity to play against big name teams you get the recruits. The big games also get butts in seats.

Last edited:
in the short term (the next 2-3) years i don't see that much difference between, say, 7-4 against a top notch schedule like we are used to seeing versus 9-3 against cupcakes (Tech two years ago, ATM last year)...except i'd much play the former. since, even though bowl positioning is based on conference record/finish, we'll likely get hosed anyway as per selection since "we don't travel well" (but i could see that changing, some, with renewed success under Hawkins)....or the simple fact that three of the conference bowl tie-in are in Texas. i don't see too many scenarios where the Alamo or Cotton are taking CU over Tech or ATM or even OSU. we've seen that with other North teams in the past.

so, i say let's play em. and, obviously keeping in mind that an attractive home slate is good for ticket sales for a program on the rebound. an extreme example, but see Ricardo's OOC in hoops. yawn. i like going to games but if something else comes up and i'm going to miss Stetson or Western Illinois coming to town....i ain't crying. you got to build in the fans (and their kids) the idea that when CU takes the field/court....you are going. not, i might go. playing good teams helps with the former.

I'm pretty sure the WVU game is in folsom the first year and there the second, that would make a 6th home game. It was mentioned in the first post i believe.

CU will host the Mountaineers in the first meeting between the programs in September 2008 and travel to Morgantown, W.V., in September 2009. The Mountaineers have become a perennial power in the Big East Conference in recent years and are regularly ranked in both top-25 polls.

Sorry for the double post, but that is where it says. UNC then turns into a home game and becomes the 6th of that year.

And if you recall Mac said afterward, even in victory, that he preferred NOT to play those types of games. Too much to lose, way to early. The UT series with tOSU was scheduled in the late 90s if I recall. I remember being at an OSU game when some folks were talking about it. FWIW

Sure, games against premier opponents are great for the fans -- CU fans don't care about losing anymore. They would much rather see a tough, hard fough 14-13 loss to a team like Georgia than a 65-10 drubbing of North Texas.

At the end of the season, CU fans can look back and say, "Yeah, we went 6-5, but we really hung with Georgia and Florida State - right down to the end!"

Meanwhile the rest of the conference is rolling in bowl money, gathering terrific recruiting classes, ranked in the top 25, etc.

:bang:

Sure, games against premier opponents are great for the fans -- CU fans don't care about losing anymore. They would much rather see a tough, hard fough 14-13 loss to a team like Georgia than a 65-10 drubbing of North Texas.

At the end of the season, CU fans can look back and say, "Yeah, we went 6-5, but we really hung with Georgia and Florida State - right down to the end!"

Meanwhile the rest of the conference is rolling in bowl money, gathering terrific recruiting classes, ranked in the top 25, etc.

I think I would have to add that the elitist CU fan would chest thump and proclaim CU to be the best 6-5 team in the land while watching Capital 1 bowl week from the foothills. 6-5 is 6-5. Its mediocre anyway you slice it. A loss is a loss is a loss......
The bring all comers mantra needs ratcheted back a couple notches until we can build a little. Im not advocating going KSU or aTm, but how about a little common sense in September? Let the troops work on things, get the kinks out, develop chemistry. I just dont see anything wrong with that. JMHO

:thumbsup:
Couldn't agree more, I would just assume drop the series too. I think the only reason CU is continuing the series on a yearly basis is due to political pressure.

Couldn't agree more, I would just assume drop the series too. I think the only reason CU is continuing the series on a yearly basis is due to political pressure.

I do not hold the same attitude as some CU fans in that they hope CSU wins 9 each year, just not the CU game. I actually hope they get punked week in and week out, by at least 50. It makes me happy to see them lose.

I dont see the need to play the losers each season, but there is probably lots of PR and politickin' in Colorado surrounding this series. Hope we can just wave bye bye to them soon and move our separate ways. I loved Kordells comments on the sideline a year or 2 ago when he said CU needed to get back to slapping the little lammies around like they used to....

CSU/KSU/*EB are all teams I like to see lose each week.

I do not hold the same attitude as some CU fans in that they hope CSU wins 9 each year, just not the CU game. I actually hope they get punked week in and week out, by at least 50. It makes me happy to see them lose.

Hell yea, I want to see them lose every week too!

The list of teams I want to see lose every week isn't complete without ND in there.

The current contract runs out in 2010. We will see what happens then. Bohn in today´s BDC says he´d consider playing AFA.

I think I would have to add that the elitist CU fan would chest thump and proclaim CU to be the best 6-5 team in the land while watching Capital 1 bowl week from the foothills. 6-5 is 6-5. Its mediocre anyway you slice it. A loss is a loss is a loss......
The bring all comers mantra needs ratcheted back a couple notches until we can build a little. Im not advocating going KSU or aTm, but how about a little common sense in September? Let the troops work on things, get the kinks out, develop chemistry. I just dont see anything wrong with that. JMHO

I don't care who we play. You go 6-5 and you get fired just like GB did. You have to win wether the opponent is good or bad. If we play pussies all season, and the BigXII North is full of em, were gonna get pwned by the time the big teams from the south show up. Playing top 25 teams is a barometer for how good you are. We measured GB just this way and replaced him. We'll do the same to Hawkins if he can't get it done.

Had your coffee yet? I see the old BFIO coming out. :smile2:

Top 25 opponents put butts in seats. Top 25 opponents get your school on TV. TV brings revenue and interest in the school. That gets you recognition, respect, recruits, and students from out of state.

The current contract runs out in 2010. We will see what happens then. Bohn in today´s BDC says he´d consider playing AFA.

I like the game against CSU. It gives me something to raz my neighbors and friends about. In state games are cheap on CU's wallet because you don't have to charter a jet and fly somewhere. Just a bus. Also, no hotel.

Top 25 opponents put butts in seats.

No doubt about that. Colorado's fickle fans will settle for nothing less.

Top 25 opponents get your school on TV.

You might be right about that. But is it because of CU, or because of the opponent that CU is getting on television? If CU was playing Middle Tennessee State - would the game be televised? Probably not. Which leads me to believe that the networks are more impressed with our opponents than they are with CU.

TV brings revenue and interest in the school. That gets you recognition, respect, recruits, and students from out of state.

Really? You think our 2-10 record last year brought a lot of recognition, recruits, revenue, etc? You think a repeat record this year would bring even more recognition and revenue?

Just for the sake of argument, and because I live in Norman now...

OU's first game, September 1 against North Texas, has been picked up by Fox Sports for a 6pm kickoff. (Fox Sports picked up the Buffs/Rams game for an 11am kickoff)

Would a CU/North Texas game have been picked for television?

OU's September 8 game against Miami has already been picked up by ABC for an 11am broadcast.

OU's fourth game, September 21 at Tulsa, has been picked up by ESPN2 for a 7pm broadcast.

Would a CU/Tulsa game have been picked for television?

I have seen my fair share of "exciting" CU football for the past 18 years. No doubt about it, the game at Georgia last year was exciting! But it was also a loss. There's no special category for games that CU lost, but were exciting. At the end of the season the record book still says 2-10, not 2-2-6 (2 wins, 2 losses, 6 exciting games). I am ready to see WINNING football again.

I have seen my fair share of "exciting" CU football for the past 18 years. No doubt about it, the game at Georgia last year was exciting! But it was also a loss. There's no special category for games that CU lost, but were exciting. At the end of the season the record book still says 2-10, not 2-2-6 (2 wins, 2 losses, 6 exciting games). I am ready to see WINNING football again.

I am ready to see them playing AND BEATING big time teams again. Playing and losing to top 10 teams year in and year out is not what I want to see, but neither is playing and beating up on smaller schools. I want to see this program back at the level of going toe to toe with Texass, OU, Florida State, Miami, Georgia, etc. AND BEATING THEM. May not beat them every time, but I want to see the program at least on a level playing field with them again.

Granted, we are a long ways from that when the "cupcakes" on our schedule are beating us. Until we get to that point, I want to see a blend of winnable games against smaller schools and challenging games we can measure ourselves by before going into conference play. To me, that is the type of scheduling that makes the most sense. JMNSHO... :huh:

I dont see the need to play the losers each season, but there is probably lots of PR and politickin' in Colorado surrounding this series. Hope we can just wave bye bye to them soon and move our separate ways. I loved Kordells comments on the sideline a year or 2 ago when he said CU needed to get back to slapping the little lammies around like they used to....

CSU/KSU/*EB are all teams I like to see lose each week.

I honestly couldn't care less about CSU. It doesn't phase me if they win or lose, they aren't a conference rival and therefore don't affect my outlook. This is the specific reason that I think we should drop the game, a forced rivalry against a team that doesn't bring an upside to CU shouldn't exist.

Top 25 opponents put butts in seats.

No doubt about that. Colorado's fickle fans will settle for nothing less.

Top 25 opponents get your school on TV.

You might be right about that. But is it because of CU, or because of the opponent that CU is getting on television? If CU was playing Middle Tennessee State - would the game be televised? Probably not. Which leads me to believe that the networks are more impressed with our opponents than they are with CU.

TV brings revenue and interest in the school. That gets you recognition, respect, recruits, and students from out of state.

Really? You think our 2-10 record last year brought a lot of recognition, recruits, revenue, etc? You think a repeat record this year would bring even more recognition and revenue?

Just for the sake of argument, and because I live in Norman now...

OU's first game, September 1 against North Texas, has been picked up by Fox Sports for a 6pm kickoff. (Fox Sports picked up the Buffs/Rams game for an 11am kickoff)

Would a CU/North Texas game have been picked for television?

OU's September 8 game against Miami has already been picked up by ABC for an 11am broadcast.

OU's fourth game, September 21 at Tulsa, has been picked up by ESPN2 for a 7pm broadcast.

Would a CU/Tulsa game have been picked for television?

If thats what you want than fine. I disagree with you and I am not going to cowher in the corner. We can't beat Montana State right now so there is no safe formula for scheudling. Also, our budget woes will not allow us to schedule patsy after patsy.

Try and imagine that you are a blue chip QB and Hawkins comes to visit you. He tells you that when you pass your redshirt season you have games against Tulsa, Eastern Michigan, and Idaho to look forward to. :huh: Florida State, West Virginia, and Georgia sure sound a little better to me. You think Stoops, Callahan, or any others arent's going to play up their future big games?

As for TV, you know as well as I do they will pick the game that has the best chance of attracting a national audience first, a regional audience second, and a local audience third. The money they charge advertisers dictates that they do it this way. Big Ten gets as much play in Florida as the ACC and SEC because the research shows that a ****load of their alums live there for some strange reason.

I suspect we will be twice as good as 2-10 this year and twice as good again the following. This silly little argument be something for us to laugh at then.

Last edited:
I think there needs to be a balance. We play both Florida State and WVU next year (2008). The following week we open up Big 12 play against Texas. That is a brutal three-game stretch. In 2010, we play at Cal and then at home against Hawaii and Georgia. There is a difference between aggressive scheduling and reckless scheduling IMO.

I think there needs to be a balance. We play both Florida State and WVU next year (2008). The following week we open up Big 12 play against Texas. That is a brutal three-game stretch. In 2010, we play at Cal and then at home against Hawaii and Georgia. There is a difference between aggressive scheduling and reckless scheduling IMO.

I don't disagree. The only reason we are in that situation is the fact that NC chickened out on us and left us scrambling. I think you want to aim for two mid level schools combined with one outstanding BCS bowl opponent. Or, you want two schools from a BCS conference with one cupcake.

Either way, there is no guarantee that Rich Rodriguez, Bobby Bowden, and Mack Brown will all still be there, have their **** together, and bring a top 5 team to each of those three games. I'll go with two wins out of three cause I just ate lunch.

Back