What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Not up to Bohn!

Like I said, I'm not a Bohn fan. He reminds me of the slick talker at work that works his way to the top. You know that guy? Right? There is one in every organization. Go Buffs!

Like I said, I'm not a Bohn fan. He reminds me of the slick talker at work that works his way to the top. You know that guy? Right? There is one in every organization. Go Buffs!

Kinda like a good slaesman right? yeah why would we want a guy like that...:rolling_eyes:

Yeah, I hate those fuc... wait a minute, I'M the guy at the top!!!!!!!! :pissed::argh:

:lol: yeah. I don't know. I'm not a fan of slick talkers. But they can be effective, for sure. So thats why I don't advocate firing him. I just don't really like him that much.

My thoughts are conjecture at this point. But I really believe Benson and Bohn will get it done...

1. I think Bohn was over-ruled in firing Hawkins last year. I think Bohn fired him and was over--ruled. The reason being the politics of switching conferences (where discussions probably started in October).

2. Keeping Hawkins this year shows the next coach goodwill. i.e. -- you'll get a full term to right the ship. This could allow the right candidate to feel a little job security, with a short leash.

3. Now that the move to the Pac is official, it is easier to find the "right fit" for next HC. You need a person who is already intimately familiar with SoCal recruiting. A Big XII type of coach won't cut it because in the Pac you either recruit SoCal well, or you are not a contender. The next coach should already be familiar with recruiting SoCal and the next hire will surprise everyone on Allbuffs.

4. This year Bohn has been given free reign on football. Hawkins will be fired by November while the new Head Coach search gets under way. Feelers are already going out to potential candidates.

5. CU's first game in the Pac will be with a completely new coaching staff. Due to the state of the program the slate needs to be wiped clean. Sorry Cabral. We wish you well in future endeavors.

CU will be a consistent Top 10-25 power within 5 years, and be competing for the Pac title within that time frame as well.... (Colorado is an awesome "home away from home" for those Cali recruits, and now that they'll be playing in the Pac while competing as a Buff then CU will become as strong or stronger than its ever been, though it will take some time to build depth).

The future is bright when you look past this season...

This might work out for the best in the end. I'm guessing the powers that be knew the Buffs were moving to the PAC last fall when Bohn wanted to fire Hawkins, and that's part of what made them ask him for restraint. I think the Buffs have a brighter future heading inot the PAC, and are in position to make a better hire than they would have been last November.

Even though this is pure torture now.

Listen. They are going to do whats best for the program. Laugh and sigh all you want. There is just way too much pressure from above and beyond for the AD and Admin to sit on their thumbs.

That's another thing that worries me. Is Bohn really trusted to make any decisions? After DiStephano pretty much neutered him last season, how does Bohn retain any credibility? I thought they really handled things poorly during that time.

That's another thing that worries me. Is Bohn really trusted to make any decisions? After DiStephano pretty much neutered him last season, how does Bohn retain any credibility? I thought they really handled things poorly during that time.

Whatever happens will not be "Bohn's" decision. This will be a collaboration between Bohn, DiStefano, Benson, Regents and the Money. They know what the stakes are. They know now that Hawkins can't take us to the next (well, maybe next after next after....level). Hawkins will be released and a new guy will enter. The BIG question is the timing. When do you do it?

This might work out for the best in the end. I'm guessing the powers that be knew the Buffs were moving to the PAC last fall when Bohn wanted to fire Hawkins, and that's part of what made them ask him for restraint. I think the Buffs have a brighter future heading inot the PAC, and are in position to make a better hire than they would have been last November.

Even though this is pure torture now.

I've heard this argument several times and I have to admit, I don't understand it. Why would potentially moving to the Pac have any bearing on whether or not we fire a bad coach? Wouldn't we rather not go into a new conference with a brand new coach and the growing pains that will bring? I'd rather have a coach with at least a year under his belt and some enthusiasm behind the program.

Look, instead of talking about how excited we are to be in the Pac 10, the entire fanbase is now back to the Fire Hawk discussion we've been having for 3 years.

I think politics played into the decision to keep Hawk after last season, but I'm not sure the Pac move had anything to do with it.

Why is the decision not Bohn's? Do other schools operate this way too, or just the ones who don't put much importance on the football program?

I'd guess that most ADs do not have carte blanche. We ain't the good ole' boys where football carries the big stick.

Dont care. If something doesnt get down soon Hawkins will take the whole lot with him and at this point I would be fine with that.

I think he means from an overall university perspective, not just within the athletic department.
I thought this had been all worked out with the Pac10 move. Why would we waste our time and effort moving to another conference if we weren't going to commit to our ADept?

Hawkins was one of the hot comodities in the coaching market when he was hired. Come on. There would be a ton of hypocrites out there if they started blaming Bohn for hiring Hawkins. The extension is a bit more easy to go after him on. But even the extension was understandable at the time. BTW, I'm not a big Bohn fan. I think he's way too rah rah and not enough substance. Kind of like Hawk. :smile2:

This is what bothers me...people watch game day and read sports illustrated and think those people know who the next hot hire is. I wish I could get $400,000 per year for reading magazines if that is all it takes. Hiring of a head coach is suppose to be a process which includes vetting the candidate. There were red flags on Hawkins for those who looked closely...no coordinator experience for one thing, no BCS level experience for another, no mentoring under a proven head coach. I remember someone close to Boise program told me that "it was time for Hawkins to go...". Why weren't the Boise fans upset with CU hiring Hawkins. I remember the first time I heard him talk and refer to himself in the third person - besides creeping me out it certainly raises a lot of doubts.

I agree with you on Bohn.

Hawkins was one of the hot comodities in the coaching market when he was hired. Come on. There would be a ton of hypocrites out there if they started blaming Bohn for hiring Hawkins. The extension is a bit more easy to go after him on. But even the extension was understandable at the time. BTW, I'm not a big Bohn fan. I think he's way too rah rah and not enough substance. Kind of like Hawk. :smile2:

I was at an event on campus for my youngest daughter last year and Bohn was the keynote speaker. He was ill-prepared, nervous and must have said "awesome" 20 times in 10 minutes. Probably one of the most unimpressive speeches I've heard at any level. I'm not saying he's a complete incompetent, but I've looked at him differently ever since.

Last edited:
I was at an event on campus for my youngest daughter last year and Bohn was the keynote speaker. He was ill-prepared, nervous and must have said "awesome" 20 times in 10 minutes. Probably one of the most unimpressive speeches I've heard at any level. I'm not saying he's a complete incompetent, but I've looked at him differently ever since.
Bummer. I think Mac would make a perfect AD. I really do. He may not be a fit in Boulder though.

I remember the BSU fans being upset when Hawk left. I guess I was the only one looking closely. :smile2:
really? i don't remember a single boise state fan being upset about it. i remember a lot of them saying that we hired the wrong coach and they would be even better without hawkins. i thought it was sour grapes at first, but they were right

When Hawk left BSU he was "The" hot coaching prospect. I don't buy the idea that the success at BSU was an accident, I don't buy that CU had better looking prospects at the time than Hawk. Had CU not hired him some other BCS program would have and likely have paid him as much or more.

The simple fact is that at BSU he was a good coach, at CU he hasn't been, or even close. I was a fan when he was hired and was happy to have him. Like many, many others I was wrong. For whatever reason it hasn't worked at CU and I don't see any way it ever will work for him at CU. Time to recognize a mistake and send him on his way.

really? i don't remember a single boise state fan being upset about it. i remember a lot of them saying that we hired the wrong coach and they would be even better without hawkins. i thought it was sour grapes at first, but they were right
Yes. They were pissed off because Hawkins said how much he loved Boise, and how he had no reason to leave. He said he and his wife were happy there. When Hawk bailed they flipped. You know. The whole traitor bit.

And yes, They did say they'd be better without him. I do remember that. Turns out they were right eh?

I've heard this argument several times and I have to admit, I don't understand it. Why would potentially moving to the Pac have any bearing on whether or not we fire a bad coach? Wouldn't we rather not go into a new conference with a brand new coach and the growing pains that will bring? I'd rather have a coach with at least a year under his belt and some enthusiasm behind the program.

Look, instead of talking about how excited we are to be in the Pac 10, the entire fanbase is now back to the Fire Hawk discussion we've been having for 3 years.

I think politics played into the decision to keep Hawk after last season, but I'm not sure the Pac move had anything to do with it.

I think it has to do with two things. One, we might attract a bette coach if we belong to the Pac 12 instead of the B12. Two, the coach will want to build a staf that focuses on recruiting in the power are for CU, which was Cali, but now for sure needs a staff that can recruit lights out in Cali.

I think it has to do with two things. One, we might attract a bette coach if we belong to the Pac 12 instead of the B12. Two, the coach will want to build a staf that focuses on recruiting in the power are for CU, which was Cali, but now for sure needs a staff that can recruit lights out in Cali.

I agree with that, but the Pac move is a done deal, so if we can offer bigger money as a result, there's no reason a good coach wouldn't come now and have a year (or maybe two) to build this program before moving to the new conference. Honestly, what pains me most is that all the attention and enthusiasm of the Pac move is being hijacked by our sh**y footbal team and discussion about the future of the head coach.

Wonder how much longer Bohn stands for this ****. If my boss was forcing me to do something that made he look completely incompetent in front of the whole NCAA football world... well, I might just walk.

Despite what we all say and know, Bohn looks like a real ****ty AD these days.

Wonder how much longer Bohn stands for this ****. If my boss was forcing me to do something that made he look completely incompetent in front of the whole NCAA football world... well, I might just walk.

Despite what we all say and know, Bohn looks like a real ****ty AD these days.

Disagree, but whatever, we've had this debate 100 times already.

Back