What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nov. 2nd, 7pm P12N - Colorado @ UCLA GAME THREAD

I’m going to go out on a limb here and say you’ll see none of that. I don’t think Tucker is someone quick to act, I’m sure he will have some conversations about next year needing results. But, this season is difficult to judge anything, everything looks like ****. It would be a little unfair to judge all the coaches on this season with all the attrition and injuries. Now don’t mistake that last comment and think I don’t have serious rage about the lack of OL discipline, the abysmal play calling and the sheer lack of preparedness with the defense. Scheme, players, talent, injuries...I don’t give a **** what the excuse is, we can’t look like this next year. We’re a middle of the road team playing like a team with zero talent. I believe Tucker gives this group one more go around (unless some curiously “leave”) to right this ship. I have hope for the future because I think we have good talent in our freshman-junior classes. If we look like **** again, good lord, we have nothing to do but question the coaches at that point. When you lose to Arizona and they get smoked by OSU you have to question some things. Less talented teams win every week, I don’t think that’s our biggest issue.

I wrote about this in the Jay Johnson thread after the USC loss-I think Kaplovic has done a damn good job with what's he had here. There's not much talent on the OL, and the talent we do have was FUBAR'd by Klayton Adams. Hagan has done a nice job with the RBs. Chev's group is still pretty good-Tony Brown has had a good year. I wouldn't touch Pupunu either.

This defense is a disaster, and the injuries can only explain away so much.

I wrote about this in the Jay Johnson thread after the USC loss-I think Kaplovic has done a damn good job with what's he had here. There's not much talent on the OL, and the talent we do have was FUBAR'd by Klayton Adams. Hagan has done a nice job with the RBs. Chev's group is still pretty good-Tony Brown has had a good year. I wouldn't touch Pupunu either.

This defense is a disaster, and the injuries can only explain away so much.

I agree and I disagree with the scheme we’re playing. I guess we’ll just see what next year brings, it’s a Colorado tradition.

fair Q: are we at the point where MT can say we need to look to the future and play the young QBs a lot? I think he plays SM until he decides SM is not the most likely guy to win the game. or we are so far behind it doesn't matter

and I don't think MT is doing Viska any favors at this point by not explaining what's happening. by staying silent and not playing him, he leaves the choice of thinking Viska is hurt - maybe "fragile" at this point, despite looking like he's fine and no trainers talking to him, or thinking that Viska himself doesn't want to play and risk injury - which I don't buy.

and I don't think MT is doing Viska any favors at this point by not explaining what's happening. by staying silent and not playing him, he leaves the choice of thinking Viska is hurt - maybe "fragile" at this point, despite looking like he's fine and no trainers talking to him, or thinking that Viska himself doesn't want to play and risk injury - which I don't buy.
The fact that he was on the sideline with no trainers for the vast majority of the game just watching, and then would inexplicably just come in for one play and then exit again, is one of the strangest things I’ve seen. There’s really no logical explanation. The staff isn’t saving him for anything, so I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibilities to think he is in self preservation mode.

The fact that he was on the sideline with no trainers for the vast majority of the game just watching, and then would inexplicably just come in for one play and then exit again, is one of the strangest things I’ve seen. There’s really no logical explanation. The staff isn’t saving him for anything, so I don’t think it’s out of the realm of possibilities to think he is in self preservation mode.

I'm not going to fault Viska for doing what's best for him and his family-and at this point that's definitely to prepare for the NFL draft. There would be ZERO harm in Tucker saying "Hey, we're trying to give the kid the best chance he can to be successful at the next level and thus we're going to use him sparingly the rest of the way." If that's all it is, just tell us that.

Say a miracle happens, and sneak into a bowl. I know, probably not a snowball's chance in hell. Do you think Viska would even play? It doesn't look like a sure thing that he would.

Montez will get his TD pass for the all time CU record. Probably against Stanford. Then he should get a long rest to recuperate for the NFL combine...

I was thinking the exact same thing. Winning the next 3 games, not gonna happen; winning 2 of last 3, I'll take my chances buying lottery tickets; winning 1, possible but sad to say doubtful. However, getting Cody Hawkins out of the CU record books for any CU passing record is priceless. That is where Ralphie was reduced to ashes. Ralphie will somehow rise again!!

When Abrams went out for a play, do we know who came in? Had to be either a walk-on or Dylan Thomas.

Abrams
Blackmon (surgery)
Miller (surgery)
TJ Trujillo (out) True Frosh
Luckett (True Frosh)
Thomas (RS Frosh)
Oats (True Frosh)

What is the deal with Trujillo? game to game?

I will say that opposing teams are not exploiting Trujillo/Luckett like I thought they would. Both look capable, but green.

I thought Luckett played pretty good last night. However, the Senior DB being torched 1on1 by a 5'8" walk-on, not good.

Trujillo has played good too. With the underclassman DBs, I always worry about injuries. No matter how talented or what their combine stats are; moving into college, every game is akin to a title game in HS. They are in on so many plays against older guys that the grind wears them down. In HS, they dominate and are physically larger, teams throw away from them, thus not many bumps and bruises.

Neither of these guys have been lit up like Dante Wigley. Sorry Dante.

True but cu didn't find a way vs air force, arizona or usc. I get your point, just tired of this team right now.
They find every way they can to not win, that's the most frustrating part for me. That's on everybody too, not just the players.

I was thinking the exact same thing. Winning the next 3 games, not gonna happen; winning 2 of last 3, I'll take my chances buying lottery tickets; winning 1, possible but sad to say doubtful. However, getting Cody Hawkins out of the CU record books for any CU passing record is priceless. That is where Ralphie was reduced to ashes. Ralphie will somehow rise again!!

maybe that is the key to break the curse? Get any mention of the Hawkins era out of CU Football history? Can Montez put it together for one more TD pass in the next three games? Sefo came close. Once the record is broken, a golden blazing Ralphie appears from nowhere, and runs down the field and through the Buffs sideline...unlocking every kid in a CU uniform and CU staff member’s true max potential in this level!

It all plays out like Native American folklore, or a Disney movie...

I'm not going to fault Viska for doing what's best for him and his family-and at this point that's definitely to prepare for the NFL draft. There would be ZERO harm in Tucker saying "Hey, we're trying to give the kid the best chance he can to be successful at the next level and thus we're going to use him sparingly the rest of the way." If that's all it is, just tell us that.

On the Viska thing, the way this whole thing is transpiring is very sad. I'm sorry for the tough season Viska has had to endure. It cannot be easy.

I do think he is injured. He had surgeries (2?) after last season. Also, I don't recall that he played in Spring ball and I think he was limited in the fall. Viska's not falling forward like he used to early this season (this is concerning) and shying from contact (this is sort of normal given NFL stock). In the 2nd quarter, he ran that deep post, was well coverved but did not get out of his break snd Montez overthrew him like 15 yards, however 3 guys were in coverage. The he was OUT, I mean OUT. The 3rd down and next 2 series, and then he was a decoy most out of the game. He was a great decoy in the 2Q scoring drive, busting two runs and the TD run, all as a decoy. Then he was out again.

It has to be an injury. Legally, you have to get consent to disclose it. MT is stuck, you don't want to say anything to hurt his NFL dreams or tip off other teams that he is a non-factor. In watching the game a 2nd time, it was clear they schemed all week as if he was unavailable. KD Nixon was taking his place moving all over in the formations---the spot Viska usually plays. If Viska was near 100%, on every play he was out he would be near MT or whichever CO-OC (Chiv or Johnson) is on the field, then he is sort of featured in every play. If he is ready to go in, so the opposing team needs to account for his whereabouts.

I think that this is a difficult conundrum for MT. Legally, he is limited on what he can say. Also, it is frustrating if it is a game day or limited appearance plan, because your offense has no continuity of what to run, scheme for, or a solid plan. KD is 1 for 1 passing this year with a 40 yard dart on a dead run. I mean if Viska is 100%, then every 3rd&5 - 3rd&3 is wildcat. Red Zone, a whole bunch of Wildcat, Viska decoy (he may be in the slot) for runs, and everything else. One every 1st and 10, spread the field and require the safety or outside linebacker to respect him--thus make Montez's job much easier.

This morning I had a thought that if Viska is injured, perhaps something long-term that may impact his combine etc..., it would not surprise me that he stays in school:

1. Gets 100% healthy;
2. Gets his degree;
3. Play a full season with his brother, in front of mom;
4. Play out his career with KD; and
5. Goes out on his terms, perhaps with a bowl-- onto whatever NFL draft spot he is destined for.

I would be surprised if the Pro Scouts don't have serious concerns about his overall health/durability; thus he could be looking at round 3-6, maybe no guaranteed money. Can you risk a 1st or 2nd rounder on a guy that has not completed an entire college season? Unless his combine stuff and scouting report is simply off the charts and the scouts all agree he is a ringer--1st or 2nd regardless of health/durability, I would think his best bet is to stay and play, even a limited season (i.e. light it up for 6 of 8 games, and shut it down). It will be a new QB, but that is not all bad. After all, college is fun!!

For someone who flaunts following "big boy football" all the time, that is a remarkably meek stance there.
Who among the big boys fires after one year? I am having a hard time thinking when and where that routinely happens. Maybe you can help me.

Buff Club is taking donations for assistant pool. That’s a good step in the right direction.

Who among the big boys fires after one year? I am having a hard time thinking when and where that routinely happens. Maybe you can help me.

Buff Club is taking donations for assistant pool. That’s a good step in the right direction.

Who among the big boys finishes bottom ten in the country in defense and keeps the staff intact?

How many years do they get? Two? Three?

How much better does next year need to be or do they get to use the system excuse indefinitely?

Who among the big boys finishes bottom ten in the country in defense and keeps the staff intact?

How many years do they get? Two? Three?

How much better does next year need to be or do they get to use the system excuse indefinitely?
The system is not an excuse. It’s a fact. 3-4 Star is the right D for today’s speed, spread. They will recruit toward the system.

Your questions, mostly rhetorical, assume CU is BBF. It’s not. It has a coach with the vision (and knowledge, I think) to affect change.

He may or may not. Time will tell.

The system is not an excuse. It’s a fact. 3-4 Star is the right D for today’s speed, spread. They will recruit toward the system.

Your questions, mostly rhetorical, assume CU is BBF. It’s not. It has a coach with the vision (and knowledge, I think) to affect change.

He may or may not. Time will tell.

It is an excuse if the defense is terrible. Teams can be competent with occasional ugly play while transitioning to a new system. What we have seen this year is far worse.

What would be bad enough in year two for you to think changes need to be made? Because the only real argument I hear right now is "year one is too soon." That only goes so far if this team is still giving up 30+ a game next season.

We knew the D was the weak link. These are basically last year’s players that gave up 30+ time after time. Poor depth positions were hit with injuries.

For Summers to stay, I want to see definable progress:

1. Recruit. Develop. Eliminate.
2. Fewer PPG
3. Improved stop rate
4. Fewer explosive plays
5. Higher efficiency numbers, especially on back end.
6. Upgrades to at least one, preferably two, position coaches.

If I was leading Summers, these would be the objectives to which I would hold him accountable.

If he can’t get it done, then he should be gone after year two.

We knew the D was the weak link. These are basically last year’s players that gave up 30+ time after time. Poor depth positions were hit with injuries.

For Summers to stay, I want to see definable progress:

1. Recruit. Develop. Eliminate.
2. Fewer PPG
3. Improved stop rate
4. Fewer explosive plays
5. Higher efficiency numbers, especially on back end.
6. Upgrades to at least one, preferably two, position coaches.

If I was leading Summers, these would be the objectives to which I would hold him accountable.

If he can’t get it done, then he should be gone after year two.
I’d add increased havoc rate to his measurable, a real weakness with this D and one that matters to Ws and Ls.

It is an excuse if the defense is terrible. Teams can be competent with occasional ugly play while transitioning to a new system. What we have seen this year is far worse.

What would be bad enough in year two for you to think changes need to be made? Because the only real argument I hear right now is "year one is too soon." That only goes so far if this team is still giving up 30+ a game next season.

No way is there just an occasional ugly play, in a massive scheme transition. In GB's 1st year they transitioned into a new scheme and CU was trounced like 42-14 with gashing run, after run, after run, then pass, another pass, another pass. The defense was horrible that entire year. By the 2nd year, CU crushed CSU and made a bowl. In the 3rd year they were one of the best defenses in the country starting the Stinklon dumpster fire!!

Given GB did inherit some better players than MT (mostly on offense), but for the defense GB just added a few JUCO's and let the scheme set in. Sean Tufts was burned on many of those runs, but by year 3 he crushed Eric Crouch to start the fire; and then picked off Chris Simms in coverage. Simms was so befuddled Mack Brown had to turn the keys over to the Major hoping for a miracle which never happened.

Except for Johnson, our front six are Frosh, Soph or JUCOs. Same with the DBs. If you somehow thought the defense would be anything but horrible this year, you may be a few beers short of a six pack. LOL

Changing defenses takes time and repetition. Against UCLA, the defense made enough stops throughout the game to put it onto the offense to score points and compete. The 2nd TD was our Sr. CB being torched in man to man by a 5'8" walk-on. The last TD was sad, but probably in garbage time. Calling for Summers or any of the other defensive coaches jobs at this point is absurd.

If there was not improvement, it would be changed after year 2 (a couple assistants may go). You seem to forget we lost to UCLA, who laid You focus on 30 or less points scored every game in the PAC12, which is not a barometer-- the PAC12 is a high scoring league. It is not like CU's defense is getting 56 points laid on them by Oregon, Oregon State as USC and Arizona did yesterday... much less a home game. In the conference except for maybe 3 teams, all have laid eggs defensively--UCLA laid 67 at WSU and 42 on ASU, and 35 at Stanford. Central Florida laid 45 on Stanford, Oregon State has given up 48 and 52 this year. CU's blowouts have been on the road, and CU's defense competed well for a half against Oregon and competed fine at UCLA. Glad I did not attend the USC game last night. LOL

The Buffs were 3-8 in GB's second season. The 2001 defense was solid, but hardly one of "the best in the country." No wonder you think the guy is incredible. You just make up successes for him.

Just so I am clear: you had the Buffs as a bottom ten defense in the country preseason? Or are you just moving the goalposts? I had the Buffs being pretty bad on defense, but not this bad. Good for them they have only given up 40+ a couple times and 30+ in all games. Otherwise, they might be bad.

And the JUCO excuse is really funny.

(BTW, you can go ahead and dislike this post too since you do not seem to have much of an argument other than going Mtn style on everyone)

Elway was at the CU v USC game scouting players and told my buddy that was with him that Viska is an amazing talent, also said he should stay another year in college to prove to people he can stay on the field. The UCLA game did not help his draft status.

Why do you want Cody out of the record books so badly? He had ten times the heart Montez does.

Back