What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Nov. 2nd, 7pm P12N - Colorado @ UCLA GAME THREAD

Elway was at the CU v USC game scouting players and told my buddy that was with him that Viska is an amazing talent, also said he should stay another year in college to prove to people he can stay on the field. The UCLA game did not help his draft status.
It's going to be a major red flag for him throughout the draft process. I just wonder if coming back next year is going to matter if he's truly an injury-prone player. I think there's still enough upside with his talent for him to be a round 1 or 2 pick this year, but if he comes back in 2020 and has the same issues, I can't see teams spending anything more than a mid round pick on him.

Elway was at the CU v USC game scouting players and told my buddy that was with him that Viska is an amazing talent, also said he should stay another year in college to prove to people he can stay on the field. The UCLA game did not help his draft status.
Bill B sitting at the bottom of the first...

giphy.gif

It's going to be a major red flag for him throughout the draft process. I just wonder if coming back next year is going to matter if he's truly an injury-prone player. I think there's still enough upside with his talent for him to be a round 1 or 2 pick this year, but if he comes back in 2020 and has the same issues, I can't see teams spending anything more than a mid round pick on him.

I'd still take him as an early 2 or move back into the late 1st to get him.

Why do you want Cody out of the record books so badly? He had ten times the heart Montez does.

That is a good and fair question. It is not really anything against Cody, he was put into a difficult situation and he was a student athlete, who got his degree and contributed to the team. I thought he played admirably and was getting better through the 1st 2 seasons (2nd season was a bowl game), but really did not progress. He did not have the tools to be the starting QB.

So the real blame falls to his dad not Cody. Except for the Oklahoma upset, I just want the era out of mind. I followed the team closely then, and Tyler Hansen was far and away the better QB when he was a soph. Hawkins pulled his red-shirt in game 8, and he then played sporadically, as Cody regressed. He did not get a fair shot. Many of the coaches knew it, many of the players knew it, and this fractured the team. This hurt recruiting in Hawk's final years. The Kansas debacle was the icing on the cake. His dad was putting his son's records before the team--thus I want them gone. Also, his dad burned down the program tradition wise with the wall etc.... IMO, Hawklove burned the house down, and CU still has not recovered.

After the 2010 season, CU went into the PAC12. It was clear the team was sorely lacking in talent (it was men v. boys), especially on defense. Embo's years were tough, but that first year with with Hansen, they were able to close out the tough year (3-8) with a win at Utah breaking a 24 game away-game losing streak. Hansen looked good if not great most of the season and he actually finished 4th in all-time passing yards when he graduated. CU JUST NEEDED FOR THE SENIOR SEASON HE WAS DENIED. Although the team was pummeled defensively, the offense was decent to watch with PRich, Speedy Stewart, Tony Jones and Nelson Spruce.

The 2011 season was a complete debacle (1 win) as CU had no QB. We tried the Kansas transfer. I just kept saying if Dan Hawkins did not pull Hansen's red-shirt, with a senior QB already famaliar with the system it is perhaps a 4-5 win season. The defense was still getting torched, but Embo was playing freshman who were decent, and saving some since he thought that he had another year. Embo's recruits were pretty good as many were prime contributors on the 2016 team, including Sefo who was an Embo recruit.

So in truth, it is not about Cody Hawkins the player, it is Dan Hawkins and that era CU has been unable to overcome.

That goes along with my thinking in the post above. Take a year and get completely 100% healthy, show your durability through 6-8 games, then end your season with MT saying: "Viska and I have talked, Viska has given this program 4 great years, it is time for him to get his and be drafted in the 1st round, he will keep practicing and help the coaches, and thank you for your services..." He may make a cameo appearance in the bowl game!

That goes along with my thinking in the post above. Take a year and get completely 100% healthy, show your durability through 6-8 games, then end your season with MT saying: "Viska and I have talked, Viska has given this program 4 great years, it is time for him to get his and be drafted in the 1st round, he will keep practicing and help the coaches, and thank you for your services..." He may make a cameo appearance in the bowl game!
Viska is not coming back.

Utah will be his last game as a Buff.

We should get used to this fact.

And, BTW: those of you who agree with John Elway’s player assessments should reconsider. Dude is straight awful.

I'd still take him as an early 2 or move back into the late 1st to get him.

I agree with Sche... I don't think he is a top 2 round guy after this season, unless he has 2-3 monster games where he is the focal point and in on practically every play. But Sche... is right if Viska were to come back and not have a good season or be injured again, he will drop even more.

With Tony Brown graduating there will not be such a log-jam at WR, but there will be proven guys around him. The goal in coming back would be to play 6-8 games and demonstrate his durability, and then wait out for the NFL draft. Also, who knows what his medical records look like... the NFL teams will require them.

I agree with Sche... I don't think he is a top 2 round guy after this season, unless he has 2-3 monster games where he is the focal point and in on practically every play. But Sche... is right if Viska were to come back and not have a good season or be injured again, he will drop even more.

With Tony Brown graduating there will not be such a log-jam at WR, but there will be proven guys around him. The goal in coming back would be to play 6-8 games and demonstrate his durability, and then wait out for the NFL draft. Also, who knows what his medical records look like... the NFL teams will require them.

He's going pro, and he's going to go at the latest in the early 2nd round. This isn't worth talking about.

Your assessment is brutal. NFL teams draft guys with mega upside and questionable injury records all of the time.

When he shows out at the Combine and starts going through the workout process, NFL folks will care very little that he was handled delicately this season.

Utah on the road is a no-hoper. Even you know it.

If Embo can beat Utah on the road with the 2011 team, MT can do the same. Stranger things do happen. You were right about GB's 2nd season, it had the Nub loss ending with the ridiculous 65 yard field goal--nightmare.

If Embo can beat Utah on the road with the 2011 team, MT can do the same. Stranger things do happen. You were right about GB's 2nd season, it had the Nub loss ending with the ridiculous 65 yard field goal--nightmare.

No. This Utah team is a CFP contender-and would work that one. That team played in the Sun Bowl. We're going to get mudholed there.

I was in LA on other business. I did not go to the game, did not even try. I watched it on tape delay.

CU is shockingly bad. But to me, what is worse, is they seem to be getting worse every week. Good teams find a way to win, and bad teams find a way to lose. Cu was the latter Sat. night. It was just bad football all the way around and I am completely at a loss as to how it is that bad. You have to look at the staff. Penalties, poor play selection and a D that simply cannot ever make a stop when it counts.

UCLA gift wraps points on the INT and not only does CU fail to punch it in, but Stefanou channels his inner Aric Goodman and hits the upright. IF CU punches it in there and Stef makes the longer earlier FG, CU is driving to tie at 24 on what ended up being their 2d TD closing the gap to 24-14, those 10 potential points are things you simply cannot leave on the field on the road. Why Viska played so little is a mystery. Montez is who he is and we can stop calling for him to step up in the pocket...it isn't going to happen. Apparently, no one else is ready or will be given a chance.

It is all academic since the D was destined to rollover and give up a long gasher for a TD to keep the 30+ streak allowed alive.

For this team to be on the cusp of a bowl the last two years and then be taken to a 3 or maybe 4 win season is an epic fail by the new staff.

Back