What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Oct 5th - Arizona @ Colorado

Did Air Force not happen?

A loss to a solid and emotionally charged Air Force team in OT sandwiched by wins over top 25 teams is not the same as a 1st quarter blowout against Fresno State or a legendary collapse against Oregon State at home to win bowl eligibility.

Not saying this will be an easy win, but it could be. I'd love to see us take a 2 score first half lead, giving Mel a chance to show that he's not one to take his foot off the gas.

Did Air Force not happen?
It did. But by that logic, then how do Nebraska and ASU happen? Blind luck or a better coaching staff? You can't say that the past 10 years are reasons to believe CU would lose to Air Force but then not admit that Tucker, a new coach, being here isn't a reason for the Buffs taking down Nebraska/ASU. You can use past performances over multiple years from ONE STAFF to form an educated opinion about what a team will do. You can't use your opinion about a past staff to predict what will happen with a new one. Didn't realize this was a challenging concept.

Last edited:
We beat Nebraska and ASU last year, too.
It’s pretty easy to say, based on this years team and results, Buffs have no easy games left.
It did. But by that logic, then how do ****braska and ASU happen? Blind luck or a better coaching staff? You can't say that the past 10 years are reasons to believe CU would lose to Air Force but then not admit that Tucker, a new coach, being here isn't a reason for the Buffs taking down ****braska/ASU. You can use past performances over multiple years from ONE STAFF to form an educated opinion about what a team will do. You can't use your opinion about a past staff to predict what will happen with a new one. Didn't realize this was a challenging concept.

We beat ****braska and ASU last year, too.
It’s pretty easy to say, based on this years team and results, Buffs have no easy games left.
so you're ignoring the fact that last year in Nebraska was against a first year head coach, this year against Nebraska CU was down 17-0 (so you must believe MM could have brought that team back), last year against ASU was against a first year head coach, and this year against ASU was in Tempe where CU has never won before?

My point is not that the Buffs have any easy games left (sans maybe UCLA?). My point is that it's a tired argument hearing how the past 15 years of CU football affect the present/future when the coaches from the past 15 years are gone aside from 3 assistants from the last staff, and the AD responsible for hiring those previous head coaches is also gone.

It's wild that you're conflating the last 10 years with how Mel Tucker teams will perform against anyone. Not saying this game should be an easy win, but it's pretty pointless to assume that CU teams that were coached by Jon Embree and Mike MacIntyre are indicators of how a team coached by Mel Tucker or anyone else for that matter will perform similarly.
You can just use this year if you'd like.

I think the point is, this team has not proven they can win a game from start to finish, so there is not one shred of evidence that this will happen against Arizona.

We all want to think and hope it does, but that is not reality at this point. I just think this is a team that will be massively up and down all year. That much we know so far. Let's hope that changes with Arizona!

You can just use this year if you'd like.

I think the point is, this team has not proven they can win a game from start to finish, so there is not one shred of evidence that this will happen against Arizona.

We all want to think and hope it does, but that is not reality at this point. I just think this is a team that will be massively up and down all year. That much we know so far. Let's hope that changes with Arizona!
As I mentioned in my post right before yours, I’m not arguing about whether or not there are any easy games left, just that the past 15 years of bad football isn’t an indicator of how this years/future teams will perform.

I’m always nervous about games my teams play regardless of the sport or level, be it college or pro. I’ve never understood fans who will be so confident they go out of their way to trash talk other fan bases over something they have absolutely no control over, i remember this well from Broncos/panthers super bowl. I feel more confident about some games more than others but I always take a cautious approach of wait and see. It’s much easier to accept a loss when you haven’t gone full on homer and you’re convinced you should beat a team.

Your point again seems to leave out we lost to a mountain west team at home this year. That, and the fact that every week is a one score game, means it’s fair to question Buffs ability to roll anyone in Pac.

By the way, last year’s win in Lincoln in Frost’s first game goes down as bigger win in my book. I also think ASU 2018 > ASU 2019.

so you're ignoring the fact that last year in ****braska was against a first year head coach, this year against ****braska CU was down 17-0 (so you must believe MM could have brought that team back), last year against ASU was against a first year head coach, and this year against ASU was in Tempe where CU has never won before?

My point is not that the Buffs have any easy games left (sans maybe UCLA?). My point is that it's a tired argument hearing how the past 15 years of CU football affect the present/future when the coaches from the past 15 years are gone aside from 3 assistants from the last staff, and the AD responsible for hiring those previous head coaches is also gone.

I think there’s evidence that 2019 ASU is better than 2018 ASU. Better defense, for certain.

Nebraska is probably about the same. Still undisciplined and sloppy. There’s no doubt that they desperately wanted both games, though. We took their best shot both years and still won.

A loss to a solid and emotionally charged Air Force team in OT sandwiched by wins over top 25 teams is not the same as a 1st quarter blowout against Fresno State or a legendary collapse against Oregon State at home to win bowl eligibility.

Not saying this will be an easy win, but it could be. I'd love to see us take a 2 score first half lead, giving Mel a chance to show that he's not one to take his foot off the gas.

This. Our staff knows what Tate is capable of.

Your point again seems to leave out we lost to a mountain west team at home this year. That, and the fact that every week is a one score game, means it’s fair to question Buffs ability to roll anyone in Pac.

By the way, last year’s win in Lincoln in Frost’s first game goes down as bigger win in my book. I also think ASU 2018 > ASU 2019.

Dude-huge difference between a loss to a service academy and a loss to Hawaii.

I think there’s evidence that 2019 ASU is better than 2018 ASU. Better defense, for certain.

****braska is probably about the same. Still undisciplined and sloppy. There’s no doubt that they desperately wanted both games, though. We took their best shot both years and still won.

Let's not forget that Fusker would have beaten Ohio State if Martinez hadn't thrown the ball to the wrong team 3 times in the first half of that game too

I was pointing out that trying to imply CU's run D is good because of Benjamin's performance against us is a bad one.

As to whether Tate is the sole reason UA's offense works, he's definitely their best weapon. But their backup had over 350 yards passing last week.
Still believe Chip had no idea Tate was out and failed to prep the fUCLA "D" for the Fr QB's passing attack!

We beat ****braska and ASU last year, too.
Yeah, those FURD Trees (routing OSU...oh, wait!) and the Pirate"s"NO "D" approach, both look really phenomenal and scary!!

Buffs gotta be 3 TD 'dogs to those guys and fUCLA, fer shure!

Still believe Chip had no idea Tate was out and failed to prep the fUCLA "D" for the Fr QB's passing attack!
giphy.gif

Dude are you even reading what I'm typing or just cherry picking? I never once said that I think the Buffs should roll anyone (aside from MAYBE ucla). I'm telling you that your argument that the last 10 years dictates this year is a poor argument in my opinion? Here I'll highlight it for you. I said this

"My point is not that the Buffs have any easy games left (sans maybe UCLA?). My point is that it's a tired argument hearing how the past 15 years of CU football affect the present/future when the coaches from the past 15 years are gone aside from 3 assistants from the last staff, and the AD responsible for hiring those previous head coaches is also gone."

I’m always nervous about games my teams play regardless of the sport or level, be it college or pro. I’ve never understood fans who will be so confident they go out of their way to trash talk other fan bases over something they have absolutely no control over, i remember this well from Broncos/panthers super bowl. I feel more confident about some games more than others but I always take a cautious approach of wait and see. It’s much easier to accept a loss when you haven’t gone full on homer and you’re convinced you should beat a team.

Absolutely. I realize this isn’t exactly the same point, but I think it was Sunday Morning Quarterback that bore the slogan “Second guessing the split-second decision making of college students under extreme physical duress” or something to that nature. Kind of reminded me that I probably should just shrug and hope for the best when “my” team (of 18-22 year-old kids that I do not know — and may not even like) is playing foootball.

I'm hoping that as Tucker and his staff get to know his team better that our performance on, especially, defense, will get to be more consistent. So, just as the staff has been able to make halftime adjustments, maybe they will get better at having the team ready to start games. Of course one reason we play better in the second half is that our conditioning seems to take over as the game wears on.

Dude are you even reading what I'm typing or just cherry picking? I never once said that I think the Buffs should roll anyone (aside from MAYBE ucla). I'm telling you that your argument that the last 10 years dictates this year is a poor argument in my opinion? Here I'll highlight it for you. I said this

"My point is not that the Buffs have any easy games left (sans maybe UCLA?). My point is that it's a tired argument hearing how the past 15 years of CU football affect the present/future when the coaches from the past 15 years are gone aside from 3 assistants from the last staff, and the AD responsible for hiring those previous head coaches is also gone."
To be fair most people don’t read what anyone else writes

Buffs will have trouble solely because of the last 15 years? Who’s making that argument?

It looks like it will be a nice day for football on Saturday! I'm looking forward to breaking out the long sleeve CU wardrobe. I'm feeling hopeful against Arizona, but - after the AF game - I'm trying not to be too optimistic.

Back