What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Offensive Line

Lynott at C would be an effort to get the best possible starting 5 on the field, which should be the goal. If Pursell is on the field that pushes Lynott to Guard and pushes out Roddick, Sauvao, Ray, Kutsch, Moretti (yeah, yeah, yeah I know), etc.

Lynott at C would be an effort to get the best possible starting 5 on the field, which should be the goal. If Pursell is on the field that pushes Lynott to Guard and pushes out Roddick, Sauvao, Ray, Kutsch, Moretti (yeah, yeah, yeah I know), etc.

This is the thing. If the best unit has Lynott at center then that should be what happens.

I just think it is very pre-mature to assume that he is going to beat out Pursell. If he does then that would mean we are pretty solid at center and also at guard if we can afford to not have Lynott at one of the guard positions.

When I watch games I tend to focus more on OL play than most fans. Color me skeptical that Pursell isn't our best center.

This is the thing. If the best unit has Lynott at center then that should be what happens.

I just think it is very pre-mature to assume that he is going to beat out Pursell. If he does then that would mean we are pretty solid at center and also at guard if we can afford to not have Lynott at one of the guard positions.

When I watch games I tend to focus more on OL play than most fans. Color me skeptical that Pursell isn't our best center.
Lynott being the starting Center is almost assuredly upgrading that position, but also creating good depth behind him, with Pursell and Jynes who are natural Centers. We saw last year how it’s not easy just moving your starting Guard to Center mid season and expecting him to perform without issue. With Guard being the best/deepest position on the OL, this approach makes complete sense, IMO.

Moretti? cmon man

I know all the doctors here keep saying to forget about him, but from all accounts he’s going to be full go this Summer. I also indirectly acknowledged in my post that I understand the sentiment.

If there wasn't a valid chance for him to make a substantial recovery I doubt he would have stuck with it this long and the team would have most likely already medically retired him and used the scholly for someone else who they expect to play.

I'll still believe it when I actually see it but we can and should hope for him and us that he does come back.

Such sad news about Moretti. I know a lot of people thought he was going to be a contributor this year, but I think he made the right decision about his health.

I wonder how this impacts our projections for starters... and how spring practices and the spring game impacted them. I feel like Tucker is a little more tight lipped than Mac. We used to get a pencil depth chart and more info. Maybe that's the right way to do things, but I miss that stuff.

I'd love to see Lynott line up at C. Seems like his best shot to be drafted/signed as a UDFA if he has a strong season.

Such sad news about Moretti. I know a lot of people thought he was going to be a contributor this year, but I think he made the right decision about his health.

I wonder how this impacts our projections for starters... and how spring practices and the spring game impacted them. I feel like Tucker is a little more tight lipped than Mac. We used to get a pencil depth chart and more info. Maybe that's the right way to do things, but I miss that stuff.

I'd love to see Lynott line up at C. Seems like his best shot to be drafted/signed as a UDFA if he has a strong season.

Luckily it does not really impact the assumed starting line up. Most around here were projecting him to be a contributor but not a starter. HUGE hit to the depth at tackle though.

Center will be an interesting position to watch. I agree that Lynott's future position is likely at C, but I have not been super impressed the handful of times I have seen play C at CU.

I don't know of anyone who thought he was going to start or even be in the rotation. In fact, all reports suggested the opposite, unfortunately.

Seems like this staff really likes Lynott at center and Pursell at a guard position based off spring and summer reports.

I feel pretty good about the potential of this OL.

On the outside, Hambright & Sherman at the tackles with Fillip pushing could very well be a matchup advantage in most games.

On the inside, I'm less confident but see more options. I have a lot of confidence in a healthy Lynott since he was a plus player back in 2016 leading the way for Lindsay. Pursell is smart player and a bull in the weight room with a year of starting experience. After that, so many question marks and a lot of possibilities. I can't name a 3rd interior lineman who I absolutely trust to not be a liability if he starts this year, but I can name 4 or 5 guys who I believe have the potential to bust onto the scene and be very good players in 2019.

I feel pretty good about the potential of this OL.

On the outside, Hambright & Sherman at the tackles with Fillip pushing could very well be a matchup advantage in most games.

On the inside, I'm less confident but see more options. I have a lot of confidence in a healthy Lynott since he was a plus player back in 2016 leading the way for Lindsay. Pursell is smart player and a bull in the weight room with a year of starting experience. After that, so many question marks and a lot of possibilities. I can't name a 3rd interior lineman who I absolutely trust to not be a liability if he starts this year, but I can name 4 or 5 guys who I believe have the potential to bust onto the scene and be very good players in 2019.
Does Ray play G? I thought there was some talk of him moving inside from T.

Does Ray play G? I thought there was some talk of him moving inside from T.
Ray was recruited to play either but personally stated he believes his best position will be G at the college level. I think it's reasonable with the change in scheme and philosophy that he could be at T. HCMT & Kap seem to believe in the G's being road graders instead of all the traps and influence blocks we saw from them in recent years -- less playing in space and more "get your hands on someone and move him." With that, Ray may actually fit better as a T now. I guess we'll learn during camp.

Ray was recruited to play either but personally stated he believes his best position will be G at the college level. I think it's reasonable with the change in scheme and philosophy that he could be at T. HCMT & Kap seem to believe in the G's being road graders instead of all the traps and influence blocks we saw from them in recent years -- less playing in space and more "get your hands on someone and move him." With that, Ray may actually fit better as a T now. I guess we'll learn during camp.
And they may not have a choice. You have to have guys at tackle who have quick enough feet and lateral movement to handle the edge rushers.

Other than Sherman and Hambright Ray may be the only guy we have who is capable of handling the position.

And they may not have a choice. You have to have guys at tackle who have quick enough feet and lateral movement to handle the edge rushers.

Other than Sherman and Hambright Ray may be the only guy we have who is capable of handling the position.
I think Fillip fits the bill.

Also, one of the first things that made me think that the philosophy changed on who is a G vs a T was the Wiley recruitment. When he visited with our new coaches, he left that OV saying that they were recruiting him as a T. We'd had him as a G in our recruiting profile up to that point and that's how all the evaluation sites had him. I don't think that the rule of thumb of "everyone under 6'5" is automatically a G" applies any more with this staff. I think it's more about wingspan and footwork determining who is a T, while base power determines who fits as a G (no skinny ankles & flat asses on the interior, basically).

I think Fillip fits the bill.

Also, one of the first things that made me think that the philosophy changed on who is a G vs a T was the Wiley recruitment. When he visited with our new coaches, he left that OV saying that they were recruiting him as a T. We'd had him as a G in our recruiting profile up to that point and that's how all the evaluation sites had him. I don't think that the rule of thumb of "everyone under 6'5" is automatically a G" applies any more with this staff. I think it's more about wingspan and footwork determining who is a T, while base power determines who fits as a G (no skinny ankles & flat asses on the interior, basically).
We got Buffnik talkin bout OL ass size. IT IS FOOTBALL SEASON.

I’m wondering if Sherman is the starter at RT, but the backup at LT. with maybe Filip at #2 RT. Is that kind of arrangement common? I honestly don’t know. It seems to me that if Hambright gets hurt, you’d want to move Sherman into that spot as opposed to moving another guy there and keeping Sherman at RT.

I’m wondering if Sherman is the starter at RT, but the backup at LT. with maybe Filip at #2 RT. Is that kind of arrangement common? I honestly don’t know. It seems to me that if Hambright gets hurt, you’d want to move Sherman into that spot as opposed to moving another guy there and keeping Sherman at RT.
I'm not a fan of that because of an injury you arre moving 2 spots and instead of just the 1 with the injury. Especially in a spot where a group has to gel.

Pretty typical. I've even seen where the RT flips to LT, an OG moves to RT and the injury replacement ends up being an OG when the LT goes down.

Bottom line is that it's always about putting the best 5 who work well together on the field.

I'm not a fan of that because of an injury you arre moving 2 spots and instead of just the 1 with the injury. Especially in a spot where a group has to gel.
With the prevailing theory being that Sherman will ultimately be the LT next year, I’d be surprised if he isn’t getting reps at LT in camp anyway.

With the prevailing theory being that Sherman will ultimately be the LT next year, I’d be surprised if he isn’t getting reps at LT in camp anyway.
Mid game is whole different story.

You make the move the following with people having practice in new spots the whole week.

Mid game is whole different story.

You make the move the following with people having practice in new spots the whole week.
Perhaps. Hopefully we won’t ever have to find out, but if it comes down to it, would you rather Filip at LT or RT?

Perhaps. Hopefully we won’t ever have to find out, but if it comes down to it, would you rather Filip at LT or RT?
If Sherman has RT on lock down and Fillip can hold down the fort at LT let him roll there.

If Kap has different long term plans then work towards those.

Looks like Sherman at RT here, Pursell at center, and Lynott at RG.

67892657_3000338783326028_6475855550360846336_n.jpg

Back